Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Club 40
Reload this Page >

Club 40 rules question - adding rpm sensor

Community
Search
Notices
Club 40 Discuss all Club 40 flying here.

Club 40 rules question - adding rpm sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 10:28 AM
Plane Insane
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Club 40 rules question - adding rpm sensor

Texas CD's, Rules Committee, etc..

I probably should have asked before I installed it but with the first race in Texas coming this weekend, I'd rather find out ahead of time and remove it if necissary.
I bought one of these Futaba telemetry sensors to monitor RPM:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBYNU&P=ML

I glued a light piece of plywood on the bottom side of the fuse just under the engine where it is open. It protudes below the fuse just enough so that it can optically view the prop.

Would this be considered a modification to the airframe that woudl prevent me from using it when tech'd before the races?

Thanks,
David

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73581.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	1861568   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc94346.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1861569  
Old 03-13-2013, 11:16 AM
gefisher
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Club 40 rules question - adding rpm sensor

David I think you are okay with the RPM sensor but I will let Bob respond to that qustion! So how much does your motor unload in the air?

Gary
Old 03-13-2013, 12:13 PM
Plane Insane

Thanks for your input, Gary.
I'll have to let you know later today or tomorrow when I'm finally able to make it out to GAMA. I installed it but have not flown it yet. I'm curious to know the same.
I believe I've read that it has been done in the past (at least on the bench) but I'd like to try and put together all the data regarding prop performance while flying.
I know this isn't going to help me all that much at this point as I'm ablsolutely the weakest link in the performance chain but maybe in time that'll change.

David

ORIGINAL: gefisher

David I think you are okay with the RPM sensor but I will let Bob respond to that qustion! So how much does your motor unload in the air?

Gary
Old 03-14-2013, 04:26 AM
skull1971

I'm ok with it.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:33 PM
Oldbob

Dave, your on-board tachometer is OK, and not a violation of any rules, since it in not a speed enhancing device. now you have the rest of us wondering just how much our engines unload. I’ll be at the field tomorrow at about noon, see you then.
Bob
Old 03-14-2013, 07:30 PM
Plane Insane

Thanks Bob.. Glad to know it. I just want to make sure I'm doing everyting on the up & up. I'm not trying to get an edge.. Just an understanding. I know most of that comes with experience and that I definitely lack at this point.
I'll try to be there as close to noon as possible. I've been voluntold by the wife there is a UPS package I must sign for and she's out of town.

David

ORIGINAL: Oldbob

Dave, your on-board tachometer is OK, and not a violation of any rules, since it in not a speed enhancing device. now you have the rest of us wondering just how much our engines unload. I’ll be at the field tomorrow at about noon, see you then.
Bob