Community
Search
Notices
Club 40 Discuss all Club 40 flying here.

I need engine help

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 03:58 PM
scattermaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need engine help

I just bought a TT Pro 40 today.
I got it home and took it apart to clean it.
I didn't pay attention to the orientation of the piston and rod because I THOUGHT I knew which way it goes.
My older one had a chamfer on one side of the lower rod bushing. The new one has a chamfer on both sides.
I read an article that explains about looking for more material on the one side of the bottom of the piston and I see that. That goes to the front.

BUT it goes on to say that the bottom of the rod also has more material on one side and it goes to the front.
Well, in my engine it was installed the other way. ( I think, it's hard to see with my old eyes)

It seems like someone comment on the rod orientation by referring to the big groove that runs up and down the rod, OR the lube holes in it.
Those things are only on one side.
Could the factory have installed the rod backwards?
I was hoping to do a quick 15minute clean up and start breaking in my engine today. Now I'm afraid to put it together.
Help!
Old 04-01-2014, 05:44 PM
Dago Racer13

I have quite a few new and old ones that I race with and on the new ones there is a groove on both sides and the lube hole inside seems to
be just a tad to one side. There also is just a little more chamfer to one side, very little. The rod with more material facing the backplate is the way it came new.
I have put them back in both ways and saw no difference in the tach readings. If your going to race with it
everything depends on "HOW" you break it in though. All the ones I broke in are between 16,500 and 16850 on the tach.
Dave

Last edited by Dago Racer13; 04-01-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:31 PM
scattermaster

thanks for the info.
I ran across this:
"The 'V' groove faces the crankshaft. At the big end it has a hole to lubricate the crankshaft pin with oil (mixture) received from crankshaft rotating valve and routed by this 'V' groove.
Then the flat surface of conrod faces the backplate."
I ended up assembling my engine like that. I very gingerly tightened the screws , turning it all the time. I seems to feel good. Really smooth actually.
It would be nice to get a comment from TT.
It would be even nicer if they had some DETAILS in the manual. DO they think we won't me working on our engines?
Old 04-03-2014, 06:27 AM
skull1971

No it's so we will work on them, get it wrong and burn them up, and then buy more engines / parts.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:54 PM
scattermaster

Originally Posted by skull1971
No it's so we will work on them, get it wrong and burn them up, and then buy more engines / parts.
Hey Eric,
I just saw that you sent me an IM a while back and I replied today.
I'm just getting into pylon. Made 2 races now. If I can get my equipment in order I think I'm going to do well. I placed both times.
BUT, I need a place to practice.
I hear that my club has some pylons but I've never seen them. Nobody else races so I feel like I shouldn't ask about setting them up.
Do they have pylon practice up there?