Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Club 40
Reload this Page >

Georgetown, TX Club 40 race, March 15, 2014

Community
Search
Notices
Club 40 Discuss all Club 40 flying here.

Georgetown, TX Club 40 race, March 15, 2014

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 02:47 PM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I like the launching stooge because it lends itself to safer operations. However the rules as printed do not allow it.

13.1.8.1. ROG Heat Start Procedure. At the end of the idle period, any pilot who is not prepared for takeoff (facing #1 pylon with both hands on the transmitter) is disqualified from the heat and shall not be allowed to fly or run his/her engine in the course. In addition, this pilot will not be granted a “refly” as described in 13.1.15. The starter shall check that all pilots are in position and ready to control their aircraft before giving the signal to launch. Each pilot shall confirm his/her “ready” status by a nod of the head or other agreed signal. However, the pilots are only entitled to one, immediate confirmation. Timers' clocks shall be started with the first drop of the starter’s flag. No more than four aircraft per heat are allowed. Except in Warbird style racing, all takeoffs shall be ROG. No mechanical device shall be used to assist in launching the aircraft. Laps shall be flown in a counterclockwise direction, with all turns to the left

Now while I am at it;
I also don't see why we are required to use 4 screws in a servo. There are many quality servos up to the task of sport pylon racing, after all these are sport planes being flown around pylons, not full blown pylon racers. This rule, I would guess was brought in from the Pylon racers rules, we clearly don't come any where close to the load and stress that the three pole guys are flying at.
Maybe if I can borrow a plane from someone I will come back down to Texas for another close encounter with pylon #2
Sparky
Thanks Gary
Old 03-22-2014, 06:50 PM
gefisher
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by elmshoot
I like the launching stooge because it lends itself to safer operations. However the rules as printed do not allow it.

13.1.8.1. ROG Heat Start Procedure. At the end of the idle period, any pilot who is not prepared for takeoff (facing #1 pylon with both hands on the transmitter) is disqualified from the heat and shall not be allowed to fly or run his/her engine in the course. In addition, this pilot will not be granted a “refly” as described in 13.1.15. The starter shall check that all pilots are in position and ready to control their aircraft before giving the signal to launch. Each pilot shall confirm his/her “ready” status by a nod of the head or other agreed signal. However, the pilots are only entitled to one, immediate confirmation. Timers' clocks shall be started with the first drop of the starter’s flag. No more than four aircraft per heat are allowed. Except in Warbird style racing, all takeoffs shall be ROG. No mechanical device shall be used to assist in launching the aircraft. Laps shall be flown in a counterclockwise direction, with all turns to the left

Now while I am at it;
I also don't see why we are required to use 4 screws in a servo. There are many quality servos up to the task of sport pylon racing, after all these are sport planes being flown around pylons, not full blown pylon racers. This rule, I would guess was brought in from the Pylon racers rules, we clearly don't come any where close to the load and stress that the three pole guys are flying at.
Maybe if I can borrow a plane from someone I will come back down to Texas for another close encounter with pylon #2
Sparky
Thanks Gary
13.1.8.1. ROG Heat Start Procedure.
At the end of the idle period, any pilot who is not prepared for takeoff (facing #1 pylon with both hands on the transmitter) is disqualified from the heat and shall not be allowed to fly or run his/her engine in the course. In addition, this pilot will not be granted a “refly” as described in 13.1.15. The starter shall check that all pilots are in position and ready to control their aircraft before giving the signal to launch. Each pilot shall confirm his/her “ready” status by a nod of the head or other agreed signal. However, the pilots are only entitled to one, immediate confirmation. Timers' clocks shall be started with the first drop of the starter’s flag. No more than four aircraft per heat are allowed. Except in Warbird style racing, all takeoffs shall be ROG. No mechanical device shall be used to assist in launching the aircraft. Laps shall be flown in a counterclockwise direction, with all turns to the left
Tim,
This is what the procedure says but here in Texas we race allot of Club 40 races and if the other clubs seen how much easer and MUCH SAFER than the hold on to the plane ROG starts they would be following suit! We have seen guys tripping and falling down, my self running back to call for my pilot and hooking the cords to the timing / scoring station that Stephen Bird designed and built and ripped it off the table! I could go on but these systems are allot safer and more even / fair on each start of a race! I see Club 40 races do safety inspections / weighing the planes and tear downs to check the specs of the motor but I have yet to see anyone at a race make the planes set for 30 seconds at idle? I know all of ours at the Georgetown field will idle for 30 sec. but I just don’t see anyone doing that? Years ago when Ken started this Club 40 down here they did the idle stand! The system that Randy designed and built works great! Hico’s system works great and the best thing about it is you don’t have a bunch of old farts tripping / stumbling back to the pilots station before the planes get to the no. 2 pylon! That’s a big plus! Each state / club has their rules that they run buy up in Kansas they run TT 46 in there Club 40 pylon planes! I will have to agree with you on the 4 servo screws because we know two is plenty strong enough for these servos! I also know that at our field in Georgetown we allow the bladder tanks just because from all the research we have done in the Club 40 planes there is no speed advantage over a stock tank! Now if you are in 424 or 428 with the Q’s yes you really need them! But not with a 90mph Club 40 racer! So back to the rule / procedure thing, even at the out big races we go to Alabama and Waco Nats not all the rules you see on the RCPRO Club 40 are strictly followed although we do follow them very closely here in Texas and I’m sure you guys do also! Damn Tim you cought me on a windy not….! :O)
Gary
Old 03-23-2014, 06:56 AM
gefisher

Hey Tim, I forgot to mention I will have you a plane to race if you want to fly down this way for another action packed weekend, same living quarters just bring ur transmitter! Here’s the race schedule!
March 15 Georgetown
April 5 Richardson
April 19 Waco
May 24 Hico
June 14 Hico
June 21 Golden Triangle
July 19 Hico
August Open
Sept 6 Richardson
Sept 27 Georgetown-tentative
Oct 18 Golden Triangle
Oct 25-26 Waco
Nov 15 Thunderbird

Old 03-24-2014, 01:17 PM
elmshoot

Gary,
I hope to make one of the races. as you know I literally do not know when or where I will work next week so it depends.
I also agree with you that your stooges make for a safer race. I just want to point it out so that you can address the issue when ever the discussion comes up on ways to make the rules better and most importantly safer racing. Where did I race last year?
That Maria can put out some great food!!!!
Sparky
Old 03-24-2014, 02:58 PM
gefisher

Well just let me know? Maria will fix a killer meal for us anyway! Last year we went to Waco for there pylon race. O and BTW the clubs here in Texas lowered the pylons from 26 feet down to 15 feet for you Midwesterners so you wouldn’t be trying to knock the tops off of them….

P.S. If ur caller would have moved you up ˝ lap earlier you probably would have missed it and moved into the A main! I remember Bob having that trouble in the A main in Tuscaloosa last year! :O/

Gary

Old 03-24-2014, 07:15 PM
elmshoot

Glad to hear that you lowered them. I couldn't believe that you repaired the #2 Pylon after I had knocked down the blasted flag that was in my way.
Sparky
Old 03-25-2014, 03:57 PM
bigblueswope

Originally Posted by elmshoot
Glad to hear that you lowered them. I couldn't believe that you repaired the #2 Pylon after I had knocked down the blasted flag that was in my way.
Sparky
Well at least they couldn't call you for a cut...
Old 03-27-2014, 07:38 AM
skull1971

Originally Posted by gefisher
Hey Tim, I forgot to mention I will have you a plane to race if you want to fly down this way for another action packed weekend, same living quarters just bring ur transmitter! Here’s the race schedule!
March 15 Georgetown
April 5 Richardson
April 19 Waco
May 24 Hico
June 14 Hico
June 21 Golden Triangle
July 19 Hico
August Open
Sept 6 Richardson
Sept 27 Georgetown-tentative
Oct 18 Golden Triangle
Oct 25-26 Waco
Nov 15 Thunderbird

I'm working on an EF-1 race down here in New Waverly, and it looks like August will be the month to shoot for. I'll know more after next week's meeting with the club.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:55 PM
Oldbob

Eric, don't forget, August 9 is Tuscaloosa. That will be Club 40 and EF-1.
Bob
Old 03-27-2014, 01:27 PM
skull1971

Dang I forgot about them. Thanks Bob. So August is out, and July,
Old 03-28-2014, 04:12 AM
gefisher

Originally Posted by skull1971
Dang I forgot about them. Thanks Bob. So August is out, and July,
Eric, Aug. 9[SUP]th[/SUP] Tuscaloosa is all that’s scheduled you could still do one in August!
fish
Old 03-31-2014, 05:55 AM
scattermaster

Eric,
I wasn't aware of a club in New Waverly. Is racing popular there?
I fly in Houston at the HSF's. No race there.
I'd be up for EF1.
Jim
Old 03-31-2014, 08:41 AM
JohnMcGowan
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im guessing Skully is SKEERED to come to Tuscaloosa this year
Old 04-03-2014, 06:24 AM
skull1971

Jim, The Tri-County Barnstormers, I come down to HSF now and again. Shoot Mike Funk is the one that got me into racing in the first place.

John, I have my big girl panties on, and if my schedule allows it, I'll be there. I have a 14/14 now and it seems the races are falling while I'm out.