Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Club 40
Reload this Page >

RCPRO Club 40 in Indiana

Community
Search
Notices
Club 40 Discuss all Club 40 flying here.

RCPRO Club 40 in Indiana

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 06:15 AM
Ken Erickson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCPRO Club 40 in Indiana

Yes, we exist, even though we have not posted recently.

Ken
Old 10-08-2014, 06:21 AM
Ken Erickson

Default Pictrure from race on September 27

Here is a picture of the pilots and a couple of the helpers. this is at the Monroe County RC Club's field, which is located between Bloomington and Indianapolis, IN.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	2038524  
Old 10-08-2014, 06:24 AM
Ken Erickson

Default Tom Koehlers Report of the Monroe County Race

Tom is the new leader of the racers of the Bartholomew County RC Fliers.

Helloooooooo Race Fans!

This is Tom Koehler bringing you todays Club 40 race news. The Bloomington race was a Doozy! If you were buying a ticket to this race, you would only have to buy the edge of the seat because that's all you would need! If you weren't their you missed it! What an incredible day it was! "The weather was perfect"! "The racing was "OUTSTANDING"! "This was the best race this racing season"! "It doesn't get any better than this"! This was just some of the quotes said and yelled from the pilots with big grins on their faces! WooooooHooooooo!!!
Driving down the road towards the Monroe field, with the morning fog still hanging in the air and the morning sun rays filtering through the trees was a sight to behold. Silhouettes of pilots and volunteers could just be made out getting ready for the race day sorties. I some how new this was going to be "The Day"! I backed my truck up to the spectator fence at the field. I looked around, it was silent and took I a deep breath. This was perfect. The "Field of Dreams"! And just like that, the silence was broken. The first Thunder Tiger GP42 was cranking up. Then another and then another. The smell of castor oil permeated the air. The perfume of the "Race Gods"! Pilots were now raising their voices over the sound of the engines taching around thirteen thousand revolutions per minute. It was practice time. The time to finely hone ones pylon flying skills before being put to the test.
The pilots meeting was short and sweet. We were all experienced pylon pilots now. After all this was the eighth race of the season. Pick a line and stick with it! Bring your plane back in one piece! And, most of all, BE SAFE! There was more but you get the gist. That's all I had to hear. It's race time!
Gentlemen, "START YOUR ENGINES"! Three pilots each started their planes. *****g out the rpm's and clearing the engines loaded up with excess fuel. The excitement was mounting. Engines idling now. Pilots at their stations. Their timers / callers right behind each pilot. Everybody is now focused on the starter. Gentlemen, "ARE YOU READY"? They all nod "YES"! The starters checkered flag is lifted from the ground. The first two planes takeoff. Then a split second later, the flag is lifted off the ground again. The third plane takes off. They're all heading off to the battle. Time seems to start to slow down. The roar of the engines fade as they all just bob up and down like corks in a sea of blue sky as they fly towards the number one pylon.
Then it happens. Almost simultaneously, all three planes bank left around the number one pylon. On to the number two pylon. Around number two they all go. Across the finish line and back towards number one pylon. So, as I'm watching this first race of the day progressing, these planes were staying in a pack. There was really no lagging behind. They also seemed to be going faster. Optical illusion? I couldn't really say. But nonetheless, I knew there was real racing going on here. Nobody was letting up. Their claws were out and their teeth were showing!
Back and forth they all flew, fighting to be first around the next pylon. Those pylon turns, by the way, will make or break your race time. Flying that "line" and turning around the pylons as close as you can is soooooooo crucial to being competitive. A split second of indecision can make you go from first place to last! And yet, all the pilots were still grouped together! The tenth and final lap was completed. Everybody came back safe and sound. The timers were looking at their stop watches in disbelief. This can't be right. The times were pushing into the high one minute and forty somethings! The usual race, historically, runs about the mid to high one minute and fifty somethings. All three stopwatches were close! This was repeated throughout the day. It doesn't get better than this one pilot exclaimed!
The pylon one Sirens did lure a couple of planes into the teeth of the "Mighty Bean Field Monster". One plane never came back out of those jaws. That one will be sorely missed. It's in a better place now, where the winds are calm and the sun shines brightly. Good bye old Sky Raider. You served me well. Now, "WHERE'S MY BACK UP PLANE"! The other plane left a bad taste in the mouth of the "Mighty Bean Field Monster" which in turn, spit it out. That plane lived to fly all the way to the "feature races". Pretty cool, if you ask me!
One heat all the pilots for some reason got "GREEDY". Their competitive nature was rearing its ugly teeth. RED HIGH! RED HIGH! GREEN LOW! GREEN LOW! Groans were starting to be heard from the pilots as the pylon judges voices were heard over the walkie talkies. GREEN HIGH! GREEN HIGH! All three pilots had "pylon cuts" called on them! RED HIGH! RED HIGH! One pilot groaned and was out of the heat. GREEN HIGH! GREEN HIGH! Another pilot groaned and was out of the heat. I've never seen so many pylon cuts being called in one heat. The knives were flying all over the place! It was a regular "CUTFEST". It was like "Thunderdome"! "THREE GO IN, ONE COMES OUT"! In this case "green low" bested the other two. Even the slowest plane can win the race!
Once again, the Bloomington Boys hosted a fine race. I'd like to thank everybody that participated in todays race. This one was for the books! A very fast day indeed!
Well that's it from the press room folks. One more race to go! That race will be held on October 18th at the BCRCF field in Columbus. Come one come all!
***ATTENTION ALL ABLE AND WILLING CLUB 40 PILOTS AND VOLUNTEERS: PLEASE SET OCTOBER 18th ASIDE AND MAKE THE LAST RACE OF THE SEASON A MEMORABLE ONE! THANKS!!!

All the best and watch your six's!!!
Tom Koehler
Old 10-08-2014, 06:32 AM
Ken Erickson

Default And here are the results.

When we have less than 9 racers, we use the "Rolling Matrix" which was given me by Chuck Waller. I modified a spreadsheet by Mike Helsel, which used to be posted on the NMPRA wed site.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2014-09-27-mcrcc-RESULTS.pdf (13.1 KB, 61 views)
Old 10-20-2014, 07:27 PM
Ken Erickson

Default Results of race on 10-18-2014, Columbus, IN

The weather for our race on Saturday, October 18th was less than ideal. It was cold, windy and damp. Dark overcast was the order of the day. It rained on the "B Feature", so much that the "A Feature" was called off by those who had won the right to compete in it.

I want to give a big "Thank You!" to our helpers, Fred Rasener, Steve Schroer, John Vinson, Norm Williams and especially to Lisa Koehler, our computer operator.

Another big "Thank You" goes to Ritch's Brew for the fuel used on race days this entire season. Thanks, Randy!

Ned Gochenour drove down from Logansport, In, 130 miles. He brought his cousin, Norm Williams from Lafayette, IN, 40 miles further away. That may not seem like much of a trip to our friends from Texas, but for Indiana, it is.

As we had 9 pilots, we used Paul Herman's NMPRA program, printouts from which are attached. Everyone made it through the 6 rounds, using just one airplane!!!

This was our last race of 2014. The representatives of our 3 clubs will be meeting soon to determine the 2015 schedule and decide if we will add the RCPRO Club 40 class to our RCPRO Club 40 Sport. I personally believe we need to make some room for new beginners in the Sport class by moving our better pilots into a class of their own, perhaps the BB Class.
Attached Files

Last edited by Ken Erickson; 10-21-2014 at 07:28 AM.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:17 AM
Ken Erickson

Default Fuel Raffle Winners, 10-18-2014

We use the fuel, which was comped to us by Ritch's Brew for the race pilots on race day. For every event, the host club buys a gallon from our local fuel vendor and raffles it to the helpers. At this race. the vendor donated a gallon of Ritch's Brew to be raffled to the "new" racers, those who had raced no more than twice in the past 2 years. Tim Porter, of the Monroe County club met that criteria. Kevin Monroe, of the Bartholomew County club was racing for the very first time.

The "Helpers' Gallon" was won by Norm Williams, on our right in the photo, who was a guest of Ned Gochenour. The "New Racers' Gallon" was won by Tim Porter, who is on our left.

Soon our local committee will meet to set the schedule for 2015. This group is made up of the leaders of racing effort for each of the clubs in our circuit plus the circuit coordinator. Justin Drake represents the Southern Indian Flying Eagles of Seymour. Tom Koehler is the rep for the Bartholomew County RC Fliers of Columbus. Tim Sparks is the racing leader from the Monroe County RC Club of Bloomington. The circuit coordinator is Ken Erickson.

And the race fuel was graciously provided by Ritch's Brew.

Ken

Name:	Winners.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	2041502  
Old 10-21-2014, 11:44 AM
gefisher
My Feedback: (2)

Ken, it looks to me like you guys in Indiana “my home state”are doing an awesome job of promoting and getting the surrounding clubs to hostthe Club 40 races! My hats off to you guys! The 3 guys that come down toTuscaloosa and ran up front all day, I will just say you guys have some classact pilots and as fast as they come on top of that!
Old 10-23-2014, 06:01 AM
Ken Erickson

Gary,
Thanks for the kind words. Yes, those guys from the Monroe Count RC Club are fast and accurate racers.
Ken
Old 10-24-2014, 06:06 PM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

well done Ken! Indiana had a great race season. We were able to get some guys up to speed and I can tell you that I was working real hard to keep up with the newbies.
Some days i got beat and it became more regular as they were going fast consistently. I look forward to next year and truly hope that we can have a great season next year as well.
The fact that we didnt loose a plane at the last race in the weather is remarkable. The goal for our racing is everybody be safe, keep your plane in one piece and have FUN!!!!
Mission accomplished!
Sparky
the Monroe County R/C secret to speed is
Practice!
Old 11-14-2014, 03:45 PM
T.K.

Here's the article I wrote about the last Club 40 race (10/18/2014) of the season at the BCRCF field in Columbus Indiana.
You can click on the pictures to enlarge them.
All the best,
Tom Koehler

The last Club 40 air race of the year

Article by Tom Koehler
Hellooooo Race Fans! Well October 18[SUP]th[/SUP] 2014 marked our last Club 40 race for the year! In fact, it was the last event held at our field for the year. There were nine Club 40 air races held this season. Three of which were held at the BCRCF field. This last race was no less exciting than the prior races held. First thing, I would like to thank all the people that made this race very special, Ken Erickson, Lisa Koehler, Fred Rasner, John Vinson, Steve Schroer, Norm (Ned fromLogansport cousin), Kevin Monroe, Clint Seyer, Tim Sparks, Tim Porter, Matt Fornefeld, Brian Merrill, Ned Gochenour and yours truly Tom Koehler. Without the volunteers and pilots, these races simply would not exist! My hardhat is off to everybody!

The Club 40 flight line

Anotherview of the flight line. Check out those ominous clouds!
This last race was absolutely insane! It put everybody’s flying skills to the test. We even had a rookie flying that day! Kevin Monroe was brand new to the race scene! Talk about being thrown to the lions! Way to go Kevin! The weather was just not cooperating that day. Winds out of the west, northwest, cross and tailwinds, ARRRRRRRGH! For the most part, the rain held off. Yes,there was a spattering felt here and there but not too bad in the beginning. The tell-tale would be the first race heat. Nerves were mounting as the pilots and helpers started up their engines. You couldn’t even smell the perfume of the “Race Gods” (Castor Oil) for the wind was blowing so hard on your back! Pilots and timers to their stations. Everybody’s shoulders were up to their ears, being as cold as it was.

It’sCOLD! Gentlemen, man your jackets!

Winter’s coming boys! Anybody up for ballbearings and ski’s this winter? Just a thought!
Steve Schroer, our checkered flag waiver extraordinaire, lifted the checkered flag for the first heat. All the pilots hit their throttles. Then it happened, the infamous dreaded “Downwind Crosswind Takeoff Dance of the Starters” by Steve Schroer.

Artworkby Lisa Koehler (Notice Steve is still holding the microphone in his left hand!That’s dedication!)
There weren’tenough rudders in that downwind / crosswind takeoff to keep all three planes from zeroing in on Steve! Through the expert handling by the experienced pilots, no animals were hurt during the making of this film!
Off to number 1 pylon the pilots flew. And, did they ever! The winds were screaming! Rounding number 1 pylon all three pilots went really wide. Then they all flew into the wind, slowing down quite a bit, flying erratically until they could get their “flying legs”. Down to number 2 pylon and rounding it as the crosswind pushed them over almost onto their backs! The downwind run to number 1 pylon was at breakneck speed. It seemed like no sooner you were rounding number 2 pylon, you were rounding number 1 pylon! Back and forth this was repeated. It was every man for himself! All or nothing! After ten laps of that, you were exhausted. Now came the fun part, LANDING! One by one the pilots were setting up their approaches for landing. The wind was blowing at 20 mph! Crosswind! There was a ton of concentration and very little talking. The first plane is coming in. Up and down,pitching, rolling and yawing all at once. You needed to know and understand the use of your rudder in this situation. If you didn’t, you were doomed! One thing for sure, crabbing into the wind was the new sport of the day! Everybody was doing it! As each plane landed, a cheer went up from the crowd. They all made it back in one piece.
The same scenario was repeated through out the day. Clint Seyer “Mr. Greased Lightning” did some incredible racing that day. I recall that he had a 1 minuteand 51 second heat! Just incredible considering the conditions! Everybody was averaging way over 2 minute heats. Nice job Clint!

ClintSeyer’s winning Sky Raider
We all broke for lunch at the race midpoint. The burgers, hotdogs, chips and drinks tasted great after some intense racing. Once again, the new BCRCF grill performed flawlessly. It doubled as a heater for everybody huddled in the shelter enjoying their meals. Talk about dedication, during the lunchbreak, Tim Sparks and Tim Porter changed out Tim Porters engine for another engine! Both Tim’s got the engine changed and the plane back flying for the next race heats! Good show guys!

TimPorter (left) with a little help from his friends. Matt Fornefeld (center) andClint Seyer (right).

TimSparks (left) imparting his racing wisdom to Kevin Monroe.
All the race heats were completed and then came the “feature” races. All the pilots agreed to race in them. First up, Tom Koehler (me), Kevin Monroe, Tim Porter and Ned Gochenour. Gentlemen,start your engines! We all got our engines started except for Kevin Monroe. Now it was down to three. Steve Schroer lifted the checkered flag and we’re off. The skies opened up. It was coming down in what seemed like buckets! One good thing (if you can say that) was the wind was at our backs.Our backs were shielding our transmitters from the rain! A little hunching over helped too! Around the pylons we went, wildly at times it seemed. I’ve never concentrated so hard on flying r/c in my life. It took every bit of flying technique I had to keep my plane going around the pylons. It seemed like a lifetime by the time all three of us had finished our laps.
And there it was again, gentlemen, get ready to land! I was the first to come in. Not only was it a repeat of landings earlier, the rain was also really coming down now. As Tim Porter said later on, “It was on theverge of turning into hail”! I came in with a little extra speed on this landing. Once again, I was eating “crab”. I managed to land without incident. Tim Porter and Ned Gochenour were up next. Each had a great cheering section behind them. It was amazing to watch these two seasoned pilots coming in through the wind and rain. Both landed without incident. All three of us returned home with planes intact! In fact, all the pilots returned home with their planes intact! Just incredible when you think that this was the worst weather we had for all nine races this year!!!
Congratulations to Tim Porter for winning the rookie gallon of fuel raffle donated by Ken Erickson.
Congratulations to Norm for winning the volunteer gallon of fuel raffle.
Well that’s it folks! Another day at the races is in the books!
Here’s looking forward to racing next year!
Hopefully we’ll have TWO Classes racing next year. One for the beginners (bushing engines) and one for the seasoned race pilots (bearing engines).
All the best and watch your six’s!
Tom Koehler

Name:	DSC03177.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	2047410   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03191.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	2047411   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03193.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	2047413   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03192.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	2047414   Click image for larger version

Name:	BCRCF Starter's Dance.png
Views:	175
Size:	504.2 KB
ID:	2047415   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03188.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	2047416   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03187.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	2047417   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03190.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	2047418  

Last edited by T.K.; 11-14-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:08 PM
elmshoot

Nice job TK!
If we could spread this to other clubs they would be having so much fun as well.
Sparky
Old 11-14-2014, 05:21 PM
gefisher

Great article TK! Man I see a lot of familiar faces in their!
Old 11-15-2014, 07:03 AM
Ken Erickson

Wouldn't it be great publicity if every Club 40 circuit would post such information about their races.
If you look back, you will notice that he is a better writer than I ever was.

Promotion!!!!

Ken
Old 03-29-2015, 12:56 PM
Ken Erickson

[ATTACH]2085164[/IMG]Now we are looking forward to racing in 2015. This year we are letting our hot sticks race in the Silver Class. That is partly because they want to go FASTER and partly to encourage others by letting them know that they will be able to WIN RACES in the Bronze Class. Our Silver Class racers will be even more available to able to mentor our new guys.

I will try to attach our schedule.

Not on that schedule:

Our Fuel Sponsor, Ritch's Brew. The flyer was made in a big hurry to have 2 at our Mall Show, yesterday. It is being modified for future use.

A trip 120 miles north on April 25th to put on a demo for Ned Gochenour's Club, The Galveston RC Fun Flyers. I have a suspicion it may turn out to be a race.

An Orientation Day on May 2nd at the Bartholomew County RC Fliers field east of Columbus, IN, 11:00 to 3:00, the purpose of which is to teach the new guys where the pylons are.

Ken
Attached Files
Club 40 Flyer.pdf (157.5 KB, 35 views)
Club 40 Flyer.pdf (176.3 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Ken Erickson; 03-30-2015 at 08:21 AM. Reason: The posted flier does not give credit to our Fuel Sponsor, Ritch's Brew
Old 03-30-2015, 08:27 AM
Ken Erickson

Here is the current flyer.

If we can find a "Youth Sponsor" or even a "Sponsor", they will have the right panel.

Ken
Attached Files
Club 40 Flyer.pdf (176.3 KB, 30 views)
Old 04-30-2015, 08:13 AM
elmshoot

This Saturday 2 May Ken Erickson will be hosting a Rookie day practice at his field, several experienced race pilots will be on hand to assist you with your planes. In addition one pilot has agreed to bring his Race winning Bronze class plane set up on a buddy box so you can have a chance to see how he does it. I imagine there might be food available but Ken will chime in about that sort of thing.
I am more interested in going fast and turning left!
Experienced pilots moving up to the Silver class bring you heap along as well and get some shakedown runs on your plane to!
Sparky
Old 05-03-2015, 04:45 AM
T.K.

Last edited by T.K.; 05-11-2015 at 04:05 AM.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:46 AM
T.K.

Last edited by T.K.; 05-11-2015 at 04:05 AM.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:58 AM
T.K.

COLUMBUS INDIANA, BCRCF CLUB FIELD, MAY 2, 2015,

"CLUB 40 RACING ORIENTATION DAY"

BACK ROW L-R , KEVIN MONROE, TOM KOEHLER, KEN ERICKSON,
MATT FORNEFELD, BRIAN MERRILL, STEVE SCHROER.
FRONT ROW L-R, KEVIN MURPHY, AARON CLAPP, TIM SPARKS.

To good friends, fellowship and a perfect day!
Here's looking forward to a great Club 40, Bronze and Silver classes, racing season!

Last edited by T.K.; 05-11-2015 at 04:08 AM.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:53 PM
Ken Erickson

Default Results of Race in Seymour, In on May 9,2015

This was our first race where we had pilots in both Bronze and Silver. We were really happy to see the amount of participation in Bronze, especially since most of our guys who have race the past several years moved to Silver.

Ken
Attached Files
Heat results, Bronze.pdf (129.9 KB, 25 views)
Bronze by Points.pdf (96.8 KB, 26 views)
Heat Results, Silver.pdf (115.0 KB, 25 views)
Silver by Points.pdf (96.7 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Ken Erickson; 05-13-2015 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:03 PM
Ken Erickson

Default Flier for race in Bloomington, IN, May 30,2015

We are hoping for good attendance at this race, as well.

Darn, this flier has the wrong day of the week for Club 40 at the Nats.

We are on Friday, July 10, 2005. Sure wish I knew how to delete an attachment.

Ken
Attached Files
May 30 flier.pdf (115.4 KB, 27 views)
Old 05-13-2015, 04:47 PM
gefisher

Ken, thanks for the post and great work on the Club 40 racing in southern Indiana!

gary
Old 06-15-2015, 08:25 AM
garywaters
My Feedback: (1)

Ken, are the pylons up ?
Old 06-15-2015, 10:58 AM
Ken Erickson

We are checking on when the hay is being mowed and baled. That is why the pylons are not up. When that is known, we will do what needs to be done, ASAP.

Pylons will be there for the race!!!!

The flier is attached.

Ken
Attached Files
June 20, 2015 Flier.pdf (143.8 KB, 22 views)
Old 06-15-2015, 06:21 PM
elmshoot

I did 575 bales last Thursday it's been pretty wet since then. I would be surprised theyngetbanynhay baled this week but depends on what they plan to feed the hay to. 60 pound bales for horses is the highest quality needed. Round bale for cows might be doable.
I hope they don't decide thy need to bale during the race!
sparky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.