Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Club 40
Reload this Page >

A 46 BB engine tier for Club 40?

Notices
Club 40 Discuss all Club 40 flying here.

A 46 BB engine tier for Club 40?

Old 11-27-2014, 03:33 PM
DonStegall
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the new model (2014) of the Thunder Tiger PRO .46 engine. This video explores the new features, has details about mounting, and shows a complete teardown, cleaning, and assembly.

http://youtu.be/kpIzwo1N3KA I've created a playlist as I will be doing break-in's and testing of a variety of .46 engines and the list is at Sport .46 glow engine reviews and testing
Old 12-18-2014, 04:51 AM
DonStegall

The JETT Thunder Tiger PRO 40 backplate mount works on the new TT PRO 46 as well. I made a mistake in Part 1 and this shows the backplate mount on the engine.

http://youtu.be/PJ3Ya_0dE6c
Old 12-18-2014, 01:30 PM
DonStegall

Probably no more videos on the TT PRO 46 as Hobbico / Tower Hobbies seem to have discontinued Thunder Tiger. But I have more .46 engines to review and evaluate.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:32 AM
rcjetflyer0718-RCU

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the word on Thunder Tiger engine availability?
Old 02-18-2015, 11:36 AM
DonStegall

Originally Posted by rcjetflyer0718-RCU
What is the word on Thunder Tiger engine availability?
You can keep a check here http://www.hrpdealer.com/consumer.html?_c=000000100800
Old 02-27-2015, 02:55 PM
DonStegall

I checked the HRP page just now and the Thunder Tiger PRO 40 is no longer listed. The new PRO 46 is still listed.

We had been told that the 40 engines would be available soon. Now who knows?
Old 03-02-2015, 08:50 AM
tsawyer148
My Feedback: (8)

What about parts, any thoughts on if there are any available...anywhere?
Old 03-18-2015, 08:11 AM
DonStegall

I have official word from HRP Distributing that Thunder Tiger has PERMANENTLY discontinued the TT PRO 40. There will be no more. And from what I was told there will be no parts.

The new Thunder Tiger PRO 46 is a nice engine, but it too will be in limited supply. 8 were coming in and 3 were spoken for. They are ordering on a demand basis.

I had done a video on the new PRO 46 and I will now do a running and testing video since the engine is going to continue to be made.

I highly recommend that groups migrate to RCPRO Club 46 Gold as there are very few .40 ball bearing engines available. The ASP's have been Out-of-Stock everywhere for the past few months.

You can run a .40 in Club 46. The .46 engines are only capable or 1-2 mph better than the .40 in a Club 40 plane.

The 2015 NATS with Club 40 on Friday July 10, 2015 will be RCPRO Club 40 Silver. If we get a good enough showing, we might be able to have Club 40 at the 2016 NATS. But it will probably be RCPRO Club 46.

Last edited by DonStegall; 03-18-2015 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:26 PM
WSwope
My Feedback: (5)

would this engine meet the criteria for Cub 40?
http://www.horizonhobby.com/airplane...ffler-evoe0401

Thanks, Will
Old 03-18-2015, 04:19 PM
DonStegall

Technically that engine is a .4108 c.i. engine according to published specs and the manual at http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/EVOE0401-Manual.pdf. It is over both the .40 c.i and 6.5 cc limits. I must add that I seem to remember it actually being measured and that the specs in the manual are off enough that it may indeed be a .40 or under. I do not have one, but may get one to put in an old plane that had a Magnum .36 XL in it. It has the OS 25 FX / OS 32 SX mounting pattern and is not as wide as the other .40 engines. Closer to the OS 40 LA and Thunder Tiger GP 42, but not as long.

The RCPRO Committee did testing on it and it is not in the same league as a TT PRO 40, so it was added to the list of allowed engines. Mainly because it is called a 40 NX and the list of .40 and under engines was dwindling. It is a .32 size engine and is lighter than the TT PRO 40 / OS 40 FX clones. Most put a battery under the tank to get it to balance. However with the new 2 screw servo rule, using light servos in the fuselage may make that unnecessary.

The Evolution 40 NX will be allowed at the 2015 Club 40 NATS during Pylon NATS week.

My Father's birthday is on 7/7 and he will be 80. I've told the family that barring unforeseen circumstances, I will be at the NATS and I look forward to meeting all of you in person.

The NMPRA does have a plan for 424, but it is not completely settled and I'm not at liberty to talk about it at the moment. Many factors have been considered.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:59 AM
Ken Erickson

Even though Don has already replied to the engine question, I tried to copy the section on engines fron the Club 40 Silver section of the rules, as voted on by the Committee. For some reason, I could not copy just that section, so here is the link to the rules:

http://www.rcpro.org/content/rcpro/c...Section_16.pdf

Even though that does not seem to be working in the unposted reply, I will post and see if that helps.

Ken

Edited because it does work.

Note that RCPRO Club 40 has always had a lot of "legal" engines. It can live on no matter what Thunder Tiger does or has done. Sure, almost everyone wants to use the "Best" engine, but the flying is the most important part of this sport. Or maybe the camaraderie is the best and the person who flies the course the best gets the highest scores.

Ken

Last edited by Ken Erickson; 03-19-2015 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:23 AM
flyonenow

Don/ Ken,
Nice videos Don, keep them coming. Out here in Cali my son and I have been running TTpro 40s, good engine, but I'm wondering if we could get the NV 40 AX BB motor added to the Silver list of approved engines? http://www.nvengines.com/index.php?p...mart&Itemid=65

I have a few of these engines and I'm sure a lot of guys out there have them all ready as well. What's your thoughts on this?

Paul
Old 03-19-2015, 06:41 PM
Ken Erickson

Paul,

You are the first person to suggest to any member of the Rules Committee that this engine be considered. Don and I are members of the committee. Now we will need to submit your question to the committee. Testing will be required.

It is definitely not a clone.

My experience with Norvell engines would lead me to be skeptical that it would fit in. However, testing will be required.

Ken
Old 03-20-2015, 06:56 AM
DonStegall

Originally Posted by flyonenow
Don/ Ken,
Nice videos Don, keep them coming. Out here in Cali my son and I have been running TTpro 40s, good engine, but I'm wondering if we could get the NV 40 AX BB motor added to the Silver list of approved engines? http://www.nvengines.com/index.php?p...mart&Itemid=65

I have a few of these engines and I'm sure a lot of guys out there have them all ready as well. What's your thoughts on this?

Paul
Paul,

What does the NV 40 turn an APC 9x6 at? I know you will probably have to try it, so let us know when you get a chance.

Since it is at or under .40 I don't see a problem with it technically. A number of groups have specified that the engine has to be available for $120 or less, but I know of at least one group that is allowing the K&B .40 and it is over that limit.

Thanks for the comment on the videos. I have a lot more to be released in April and May.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:54 AM
flyonenow

I agree definitely not a clone. Hmm didn't think of that. No big deal if committee doesn't approve. Testing wise I can put one on the stand and let you know how it does on a 9X6. May take me a week or so to get to it as I'm working on finishing up a couple custom colored La Racers at the moment.

Paul
Old 07-24-2015, 09:53 AM
DonStegall

The NMPRA is working on a replacement engine for the Thunder Tiger PRO 40. One of the engines under consideration is the Evolution .46NX Glow Engine with Muffler.

This engine is legal for Club 46 Gold.

I have one and last weekend I did a teardown and cleaning video, then I taped a break-in video. I have to edit the break-in video this weekend, but for now, you can see more about the engine in this video.

http://youtu.be/Chq9p2qDt8U
Old 07-26-2015, 02:58 AM
DonStegall

This is a break-in video taped not long after making the Intro video for the Evolution .46NX. I break-in the engine using the stock muffler and then get an RPM reading. Then I put a MACS Black OnePiece Muffler on it and get a reading. Then some more break-in. Finally some comments about the running and care of the engine.

http://youtu.be/x7MqNEdJk2k

Last edited by DonStegall; 07-26-2015 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:12 AM
DonStegall

Please feel free to comment on my videos good or bad. I only get better by hearing what people think.

If you click on the title in the videos posted in the threads, it will open the video in YouTube. Then you can Like or Dislike the videos. Please provide some feedback.

Barry Reade suggested that I take close-up still photos of the engines and parts as I disassemble them. I will probably try to do this.

I will probably break the mounting pattern and muffler fitting into a separate video than the teardown and cleaning.

And feel free to ask questions. Anything goes.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:17 AM
DonStegall

I'm doing a feature length video on test stands. I shot an off the hip intro segment and made it Unlisted on YouTube so that friends and advisors could tell me what I need to do. The video is going to be re-shot, hopefully the outside part today. But it's going to be a week or two until the complete video is done. I'm going to leave it Unlisted, but if you want a sneak peak at it, and want to comment here or on YouTube, please do so.

http://youtu.be/vvQKmOMsN1o