Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Club 40
Reload this Page >

Indiana Club 40 June race report

Community
Search
Notices
Club 40 Discuss all Club 40 flying here.

Indiana Club 40 June race report

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 07:11 AM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Indiana Club 40 June race report

Perhaps the best race we have had at the Monroe County R/C field
First it wouldn’t have happened without the help of our volunteers
Rick Hill Starter
Dean Chapman Assistant Starter
Eric Ruggles Pylon 1 judge
Denny Friesel Pylon 2 judge
lap counters/timers:
Brayton Thompson
Rick Metz
Tall Mike from up north

Food by David and Janet Poland.
Lots of food! Roast Beef DIY sandwiches and brownies, sodas chips what a great effort thanks Dave and Jan!

Barb Hill was out and took lots of pictures so we should have those online soon.

Lots of hands made for short work on the set up, thanks guys!
The bronze class had a record turn out with 8 pilots entered.
We had several racers in their first pylon race, the experienced pilots mentored those as they learn the way around the pylons in the “Valley of Speed”.
With lots of effort by our Neophyte racers things actually started earlier than scheduled. Using the stooge airplane release system makes all starts about as fair as it could be.
Flying consistently smooth is the key to success and as the day went on it was clear that most learned quickly with some really close racing at the end of the day, noteworthy was Tim Porter and Jake Chapman slugging it out all the way to the tenth and final lap with a photo finish.
Jake won the race by less than a tenth of a second! This is the kind of racing that will get you hooked!
Our Dave Poland, defending National champion was smooth as ever and Set fast Time with a 1:54.2 and was the winner of the Bronze class.
He was tied with the young Gun from up North, Jake Chapman. Dave placed first based on a faster time. After a few races under his belt Tim Porter went on a tear and placed third in a three way tie broken by best times.
I don't think anyone would have thought you could have so much fun by racing model airplanes!

Silver class had the usual suspects, with Current National Champion Clint Seyer leading the pack. Clint hadn’t been getting the practice he wanted due to business travel out of town and fell to Sparky when the final points were tallied up. TK Tim Koehler showed a new turn of speed with EVO.46 powered race plane putting on an impressive 3-4 laps wingtip to wingtip dual until was lured into a pylon cut. Dr Matt had trouble with pylon cuts but when he had it working right he was a definite factor.

Before the last race planes touched down we were hit by the gust front of an approaching storm which sent Rick Hills unsecured pop up tent high in the air and it actually made it over the car park and Rick got to retrieve the tent from the field south of the road. I'm not sure the tent could be saved.
Does this make Rick eligible for the crash trophy?
Because the weather turned we were unable to conduct fly offs for any ties so they were placed on their best time flown throughout the day.

Race results:
Silver Class
Name Points Time
Tim Sparks 18 1:28.7*
Clint Seyer 14 1:34.1
Tom Koehler 12 1:31.6
Matt Fornfeld 8 1:39.9

Bronze Class

David Poland 15 1:54.2*
Jake Chapman 15 2:07.0
Tim Porter 11 1:58.7
Mike Edwards 11 2:00.0
Mike Huggins 11 2:07.0
Brian Delahunty 10 1:55.7
Ned Gochenour 10 2:00.5
Mike Delahunty 6 2:00.1

* fast time for the day

Our next race will be in Muncie at the AMA site #3 on Friday July 6. YOU MUST preregister, the deadline is 23 June after that you will have to pay a late fee. I really would love to have you ALL turn out to race with us. This will be a blast and a great, exciting event.
Our Bronze class entry fee will remain at $10 for the Muncie race. You will have to pay the extra charges when you register online but when you come to Muncie to race with us I will reimburse the difference. If you want to come to Muncie and watch we can always use volunteers and this time you can get paid for helping out.

I stand by to help,
your humble race reporter
Sparky