Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Club 40
Reload this Page >

Summer Pylon Series at Lowes Motor Speedway

Community
Search
Notices
Club 40 Discuss all Club 40 flying here.

Summer Pylon Series at Lowes Motor Speedway

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 03:40 PM
goliathman
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Summer Pylon Series at Lowes Motor Speedway

That is a beautiful plane!

Went out to Don's place and practiced club 40 today. His field is plenty big. best to approach from the right. i had a blast .Lots of flying and fun. One mid air. Don and his wife were great hosts! Thanks Don!

Old 07-27-2008, 05:01 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mid air.... I was taken out!!!! no really, if theres a fault it was mine but that's racin'. Had a great time, thanks Don and wife... and dad for cutting the tree to get my plane.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:41 PM
DonStegall
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks guys. We enjoyed having you. Please come again. Next time we will try some 3 pole racing so you can feel that rush.

The mid-air was unfortunate. But that is racing ... sometimes anyway. Getting Evan's plane down from a 40 foot tree was an experience all its own. I guess I have to buy a chainsaw. But one of my neighbors told me he has a 40' pole for getting to things up high. I guess I have to teach him to fly.

Having to mow 5+ acres every week or two is a lot of work. Good times like this make it worth the effort.

My shop is a mess, but you guys seemed to like some of the stuff you saw. I can see Evan doing an electric Q-40 sooner rather than later. I'm going to have to start making composite stuff again.

Thanks for making the races at Lowe's Motor Speedway possible. You guys are a great group.

Edited to add a few photos
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70309.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	998947   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54329.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	998948   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24054.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	998949   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95571.jpg
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	998950   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71760.jpg
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	998951   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sk31237.jpg
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	998952  
Old 07-27-2008, 08:37 PM
Teedee

Had a great time Don , your field is awsome !!! Still I wish some guys who fly slow would at least give way to a faster plane instead of causing a mid air ! [sm=punching.gif] Just Kidding Evan I still had fun [sm=cry_smile.gif] , If your not rubbing , it aint racing !!!!! I 'll trade paint ,I mean covering any time !!
I wish more people would try this type of racing , It makes your skill level increase quickly. Ordered new graphics to day will be flying by Tuesday. TERRY
Old 07-27-2008, 08:48 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Terry, did you rub your hooters on Evan's plane? [X(]

did he forward my present
Old 07-27-2008, 09:01 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

He was cheating! That's my excuse....

Good thing about the stickers Terry... You in town this week?
Old 07-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Teedee

This was the closest that Evan has been to any kind of hooters[sm=tongue_smile.gif]in a long time
Old 08-02-2008, 04:55 PM
DonStegall

I bought fuel for the 9-20 race today. Got lucky and got the pre-increasing again price. So I'm set for fuel for 8-16 and 9-20. I will have a defueling jug this time so I can save the leftovers for my own use. I plan to have 4 gallons with Six Shooters on them and 1 or more gallons for bladder syringes. Fueling should be easier.

I have updated the [link=http://www.LowesRC.com]LowesRC.com[/link] home page with some links. One of them is to [link=http://www.Quickie25.com]Quickie25.com[/link] or [link=http://www.Quickie25Racing.com]Quickie25Racing.com[/link]. The rules on this page specify a legal Quickie 500 airframe with a minimum weight of 3 1/4 pounds, an O.S. 25FX engine, a prop with a minimum diameter of 8 inches, and 15% max nitro. These are the rules that have been and will be used for Quickie 25 at LMS at least in 2008. I did not check props to be APC 8x6 with a 16,000 RPM limit on 6-14 or 7-12 and will not on 8-16 or 9-20. If you want to use APC 8x6 props because that is what you use in High Point that is fine. I will be adding a "Local Deviations" section so that various groups can get their rules listed here if they want to.

We will weigh all Quickies defueled before the race. Quickie 25 at the previously mentioned 3 1/4 pounds and AMA 424 at 3 3/4 pounds.

Props for all classes must be commercially available and unmodified except per paragraph 7.5.2. Props will be checked to see if they look stock. Any questionable props will have to be replaced. I have a wide selection available. If you are using something out of the ordinary, let me know so I can get some to have on hand.

Anyone who wants can protest an engine with the AMA prescribed $25 deposit. If no offending modifications are found, you forfeit your money. If offending modifications are found, the money will be returned and the offender will be disqualified.

I will update the LowesRC web site in a few days after people have a chance to consider the above. Some will notice that the posted Quickie 25 rules do not rule out composite or partially composite airframes. We have an extreme shortage of Quickie 500 ARF airframes right now. If someone has an old composite Q-500 hanging on the wall or they can acquire one and they want to put an O.S. 25FX on it and come race, so be it. I have actually heard people erroneously telling other people that carbon fiber is not allowed in 424 wings and therefore Quickie 25. AMA 424 will be by the AMA rulebook and the prescribed airframe limitations. I seriously doubt anybody is going risk a composite airframe for a paper certificate in Quickie 25, which is what the trophies will be. If somebody shows up with a composite for Quickie 25 and you don't want to race, just get a refund before the race starts. Otherwise deal with it.

There will be another pilots raffle as the majority of people I talked to liked that. We will have raffle tickets available when registration begins. Speaking of which...

Registration will be from 8:30 to 9:30. The pilots meeting will be at 9:45 and racing will start at 10:00.

We will impound all non Spread Spectrum transmitters at this race.

With 3 classes of racing, hopefully people can find one or more classes that they feel like racing in. If you are racing in High Point on 9-21, you might want to save your stuff and skip Quickie 25. Or you might want to use the 9-20 Quickie 25 as a warm-up. Any plane legal in High Point will be legal at LMS.

Right now I expect 12+ entries in Club 40 on 8-16 and 15+ entries in Club 40 on 9-20. The only thing is that people are out flying the heck out of their Club 40 planes and there may be attrition before the races.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:30 AM
j.gibson

ORIGINAL: Electric Delta

Great Event! Thanks and appreciation go out to Don and his family, and to James Barr, for all their time and effort that went into making this event happen. Looks like local racing is really starting to pick up some momentum now! That was also great to run three different classes, and mix things up, so that those who weren't racing in all classes didn't have to wait too long before their own chance to fly. All in all, a fun and successful event, and I'm looking forward to the next one.
Hey Mike,

Thats a neat delta you got there. Where do you get one?????????
Give me a call this week ASAP.........at the shop
jmg
Old 08-12-2008, 10:37 PM
Electric Delta
My Feedback: (13)

Why John, you KNOW that the little 1/2A delta was designed by Greg Doe, back in the '70's! I just converted it to electric ! I think Bob Harris has cut a few cores for the 250 sq. inch version. The pictured one is, of course, one of your old 200 sq. inch ones. Remember the terminal dives you used to do with the 1/2A Coxes (just to "check" whether the connecting rod, the ball and socket, or the crank pin would give up first!?!?!?)? Well, the electric one (at 23 oz. weight with the NiCad batteries of the time) went well beyond that speed in a terminal dive, and was even faster with the motor off. Scary fast. Then pull level, do 20 rolls, turn the motor back on, climb and do it again! I really need to put the thing back together again, and go brushless with LiPo batteries. Oops, didn't mean to take this thread off-topic, back to Lowe's now.

I'll try to give you a call on Wednesday. I plan to race 424 and Club 40 on Saturday, I didn't manage to get another Q25 together yet. CU there!
Old 08-13-2008, 05:35 AM
j.gibson

Greg WHO???????????
Glad you are gonna make it Mike. l had heard you might miss the fun.
Hey! l think Vic is looking for someone to fly his Buckshot...........some type of
vision problem brought on by too many "hand launches" or something..........BA DUMP DUMP
jmg
Old 08-13-2008, 05:54 AM
rcpilot32
My Feedback: (67)

FINALLY!!!!!

Got my C-40 plane to loose some weight. It now weighs 3 pounds 26 1/2 ounces. I'ts going to be fast.

Took some advice from Don and tried the 10 X 5 prop.

Looking forward to seeing everyone Saturday. Weather looks good. Upper 80s.

I am still planning on a race at the Firetower Flyers club in October. Would like to talk to everyone Saturday to see how many are willing to come.

James
Old 08-13-2008, 10:12 AM
dwbebens

The weather is looking good for the race. I will be entering C-40 and 424, both on channel 16. This should be fun.

Doug Bebensee
Old 08-13-2008, 03:06 PM
vicman

Registration will be from 8:30 to 9:30. The pilots meeting will be at 9:45 and racing will start at 10:00.
Just a reminder to the guys rolling in from out of town.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:35 PM
DonStegall

Thanks for the reminder Vic. I will get it up on www.LowesRC.com tonight.

The weather here today is rainy. But they say partly cloudy through the weekend and only a 10% chance of rain on Saturday. This rain should just knock the dust down. It may be a little humid on Saturday.

But it looks like we are going to have a great turn-out. Could be in the 30+ entries range for all of the classes. It's going to be a busy day. Everyone needs to be prepared to hustle.

I will have the grass mowed low before Saturday morning. Don't know if I will have the big pylons up or not. We may be using the Ultra Portable Pylons that are currently in place.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:12 PM
DonStegall

The rain from Wednesday has continued into today to a degree. But it's supposed to clear out tonight and Saturday is supposed to be nice with a high of 86. Hopefully it won't be windy. It's not right now. I think that's why the weather did not clear out today.

I have Ronsonol lighter fluid (from Walgreens) to remove wing stickers if you still have them on your plane or if you need to remove them at the race.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:15 PM
vicman

CH 25 for all three classes.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:57 AM
dwbebens

Greetings from Nashville;

It's Friday morning, I'm packing my van, and will be leaving for the race shortly.

C40 & 424 - - yippee!

Doug Bebensee
Old 08-15-2008, 08:25 PM
DonStegall

I took the tractor to LMS this evening to mow the takeoff area. Because of the rain we've had, the LMS crew has not been able to mow. But I mowed the entire grass runway area close and it is in good shape except for maybe some grass clippings. I also mowed the pit and parking area.

The weather is not looking great for Saturday, but we should be able to get the race in. Just a chance of isolated showers in the late afternoon. We may even race both Saturday and Sunday if enough people want to do it. No additional entry fees for Sunday. So bring a change of clothes just in case and I'll get some rates at local motels.

Going to bed early and getting up real early. See you Saturday morning.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:42 AM
rcpilot32
My Feedback: (67)

WHAT A RACE!!!!!

First of all, a big thanks to Don, Mathew, and Cindy. As usual, they worked very hard putting on this race.
As a CD myself, I know first hand how hard it is. It's a time consuming, physical task. Not just on race day, but many days/weeks before the raceday.

Putting on a race has changed over the years. You no longer can count on club member helpers. Seems like if you want to race, then you also have to help run the race. Thanks to all competitors that helped.

Bill Johanson and John McDermott drove up from South Carolina to call for several of us. Thanks Guys.

Doug drove all the way from Nashville, Tenn. Doug is a great pilot and seemed to have a good time.

Vic didn't have the greatest of days. First heat of club 40 and a spectacular mid-air with Matthew. Both planes a total loss. Vic flew 424 and his plane was very fast. I may have to check out one of those Buckshot planes.

I'm up very early this morning. A thunderstorm is happening. It's really raining hear. A very welcome sight.

Thanks again to everone.

James
Old 08-17-2008, 08:53 AM
dwbebens

Greetings from Nashville;

It certainly was a good race. The racing was INTENSE! I've never raced so hard and had any more fun. Thanks to Don, Cindy, and Matthew for your efforts. I know there were many others who helped put on this race, so thanks to them also.

James is right about helpers. If you want to race, then come prepared to help. Personally, I'd rather be helping than sitting on my behind during classes that I'm not racing. Also, I feel it's my obligation to help set-up and take-down whatever equipment I can in order to help out the race organizer(s). Also like James, I've run a bunch of races and know how much work is involved. Any help is appreciated.

Our next Club 40 race here in Nashville is next Saturday, Aug 23, at Peeler Park, Madison, TN. I'm the CD. Fortunately, we have two clubs who collaborate in supporting our racing. Getting enough helpers usually isn't a problem. Though, we only need seven helpers during the race (4 plane heats) as we only have one #1 pylon judge.

There were more 424 entries this time, a total of seven. There was some very tight and exciting 424 racing to be had. It's good to see 424 on the rise. As Duane Gall has said, "A rising tide floats all boats". - - so true.

Thanks Vic for you excellent calling and help. It made a difference. Sorry about your planes.

Good job everyone.

Doug Bebensee
Old 08-17-2008, 10:09 AM
goliathman
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: rcpilot32

WHAT A RACE!!!!!

First of all, a big thanks to Don, Mathew, and Cindy. As usual, they worked very hard putting on this race.
As a CD myself, I know first hand how hard it is. It's a time consuming, physical task. Not just on race day, but many days/weeks before the raceday.

Putting on a race has changed over the years. You no longer can count on club member helpers. Seems like if you want to race, then you also have to help run the race.

Thanks again to everone.

James
I saw some club members helping.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:12 AM
DonStegall

Thanks to all who came. The racing was very good. I appreciate the attendance of the racers and the people who helped out.

I didn't do my job as well as I did on 7-12. Part of it was that I was worn out from mowing the site on Friday evening. And part of it was more entries. Plus things just kept breaking. My (heavy as lead) color laser printer had a problem and that delayed the start. It got me off balance because something I thought was going to help wound up being a drag. I still don't know how all of the toner cartridges could have run out at the same time. I have service plan on the printer, but it was a very good thing I brought the ink jet as a backup.

Part of the helper issue is that I've spent more time recruiting people to race than to help. Another part of the worker problem on Saturday was that there were 2 other events in the area. One was a glider day with no landing fee.

But James was right about the helpers. In terms of non-flying helpers, there were only 3. Mike Langlois' wife, one brand new member of FAPA, and one member from Charlotte Aeromodelers. That's not a lot of non-flying help. Terry Hickey from FAPA helped as a turn light judge. I really appreciate the help Terry.

On the flip side we had two guys racing who helped on 7-12, and they were ready to race this time. Even so, Trey Witte and Gary Chernega still helped work the course. I'm sure they could have used some down time. But they really helped out. And they did well racing as well.

At the 7-12 race, we had more non-flying people who helped.

Running three classes in one day is a lot of work. But we're going to do it again on 9-20. And then on 10-18 in Greenville SC.

I polled people about dropping a class and no one wants to. All of the classes we are running seem to have value and keep people coming back for more. That's what I call a happy problem.

Cindy got some photos and I will post them and the race results later today.

A big thanks to James Barr for bringing the turn lights, lap counting boards, and launch pads. James got lucky and won the pilots raffle again. That's two races in a row. But James won Club 40 last time and this time as well. So it was well deserved.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:44 PM
DonStegall

Here are the results from the 8-16-2008 race at Lowe's Motor Speedway.

[link=http://www.rcpro.org/net/uploads/attachments/t782_m1_n1.html]AMA 424[/link]

[link=http://www.rcpro.org/net/uploads/attachments/t782_m1_n2.html]Club 40[/link]

[link=http://www.rcpro.org/net/uploads/attachments/t782_m1_n3.html]Quickie 25[/link]
Old 08-17-2008, 03:17 PM
glasscock

Sounds like the race was another success!! Here are a couple of aerial photos I took of one of the Club 40 races.

Dave G.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93334.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	1013411   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24839.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	1013412  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.