Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Club 40
Reload this Page >

Summer Pylon Series at Lowes Motor Speedway

Community
Search
Notices
Club 40 Discuss all Club 40 flying here.

Summer Pylon Series at Lowes Motor Speedway

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 04:15 AM
DonStegall
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Summer Pylon Series at Lowes Motor Speedway

I got approval for 3 race weekends at Lowe's Motor Speedway this summer. Because of the way the weather has been, these are scheduled as 2 day races. This improves our odds of having at least one good day. Plus it makes traveling more worthwhile if we do get in 2 days of racing..

The dates are June 14/15, July 12/13, August 16/17. We will run Club 40, Quickie 25, and AMA 424 R/C Pylon Racing on a 2 pole course with all pilots and judges off-course.

AMA 424 Sport Quickie is a hoot on a 2 pole course. Because of the way the field is set up, running a 3 pole course is not feasible. But there is plenty of parking and plenty of room for spectators. We will be making a big effort to draw in the public to watch these races.

The initial flier is attached. I will be updating it a little and adding detail on the second page with links to the rules that will be in effect. RCPRO Club 40 Advanced rules will be used for Club 40. AMA 424 will be by the book, and Quickie 25 will most likely require the O.S. 25 FX engine.

[link=http://www.rcpro.org/net/uploads/attachments/t766_m1_n1.pdf]LMSSMS1.PDF[/link]
Old 05-04-2008, 07:32 AM
dwbebens

Default RE: Summer Pylon Series at Lowes Motor Speedway

Don

That's great news. I plan to be at either the June or Aug race (maybe both?).

You're right, 424 on a two-pole course IS a hoot. We do that here in Nashville. It's our most popular class, though I expect C-40 to be big here as time goes by.

The two-day format is a great idea.

The flyer doesn't say whether you will be having Novice class in C-40.

Keep up the good work.

Doug Bebensee
Old 05-04-2008, 07:55 PM
DonStegall

Doug,

I wasn't planning on running Club 40 Novice. But a couple of people have already expressed interest, and this was just voted on yesterday. I don't see any reason why we can't run it. I will be getting the registration site online pronto and we will be able to get an idea of who is going to participate.

I've done a lot of work, promoted the pylon concept a lot, and have gotten people to get the planes. But the Fly-In on 4/12 where James Barr, Tommy Thomasson, and Jim Katz did a demo using 424 planes sealed the deal. Unfortunately I had a migraine that morning. But they pulled off a good show and interest is strong. Plus the FAPA now has David Waymer Park in Huntersville to fly at while we take over Lowe's for these three weekends. But I think a number of club members will show up to watch and help.

This is going to be a big deal. A press release will go out from Humpy Wheeler at Lowe's Motor Speedway. And we should get newspaper announcements and coverage. We will also be handing out fliers at Lowe's during strategic events like the Summer Shootout Series. The goal is to get as many spectators as possible. We will probably have a food vendor on site, as they get first rights to such events. And I believe we will have a big public draw. People in this area love racing, and with 100 mph airplanes occaisionally crashing, they will get their fill of thrills. [sm=thumbup.gif]

I need to know if the dates conflict with any significant local events. I tried to work around as much as possible, and still have it work for the flying site at LMS.

I was going to have some races at my field this summer, but more than likely preparations for this Summer Pylon Series are going to take most of my time. I will have some 3 pole racing at my field this fall. In the mean time, anybody in the area is welcome to come try the 3 pole course at my field. Just call me first.

Even though it's on the flier, let me repeat here. We will have RCPRO Club 40, Quickie 25, and AMA 424 Sport Quickie all on a 2 pole course. We may have a "Race What You Bring" session to bring in as many pilots as possible. The races will be separate races on each day. But entry into Club 40 (or other events) gets you in for either or both days. Bring backup planes. [sm=biggrin.gif]

I will be doing a lot of work on the flier and on the [link=http://www.LowesRC.com]www.LowesRC.com[/link] web site over the next two weeks.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:06 PM
Electric Delta
My Feedback: (13)

Hey Don, this is great news! I am looking forward to participating in all three classes. You can expect a fair-sized contingent of CCRC guys flying in Quickie 25 at least. We had about a dozen folks show up ready to race Q25 at our event last weekend. I thought there was a Club 40 race planned for June 7th at LMS on an earlier thread(?), is this one canceled/re-scheduled or still on?
Old 05-06-2008, 05:39 AM
DonStegall

Mike,

The club races that FAPA is going to have on the first Saturday's are still on. We had a long meeting on 5/3 to approve new by-laws, so I didn't try to get anybody to come. But we did fly one heat and everyone liked it. It was the first time many had seen 3 planes duking it out. The club races are low-key. These 3 race weekends will be huge with lots of spectators.

I do need help running the races. I'm not a CD. So if Jay Marsh is available, it would be great to get him to CD one or more of the events. I will still act as the event director.

One of our new diversions is float plane flying.

I created a DVD of the float plane action at Humpy Wheeler's house on 5-4-2008. I will have copies out at the fields over the next few week for a nominal charge. Probably $2.

But I have uploaded the video to YouTube in 2 parts. The links are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJIEQEGAwgo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mCDu-ZrA68

Old 05-06-2008, 08:23 AM
DonStegall

We've talked about pylon racing on the water. Still have some logisitics to work out. Pylons are the biggest issue.

Quickies on floats should work pretty well. I'm going to do one at some point this summer.

Here are some still photos from the 5-4-2008 float fly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24247.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	943963   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64737.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	943964   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87636.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	943965   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38076.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	943966   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60962.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	943967   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73360.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	943968  
Old 05-06-2008, 11:02 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don,
It takes at least 30 days for the sanction paperwork to go through if you need it.
I won't be able to make the June race but plan on racing July and August. Like Mike in all three classes.
PM me about the CD stuff if you need.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:49 PM
goliathman
My Feedback: (3)

doesn look like too much conflict for june:

Spring Fun Fly
NC
06/14/08 - Johnsonville, NC (C) Spring Fun Fly. Site: Club Field. James Hoffler CD, 1417 Milton St Spring Lake NC 28390-2511 PH:910-497-0977 . From Sandford, NC, south of Hwy 87, exit Hwy 27-24, turn right, then next left (after passing emergency services bldg), approx 1 mile on left. Contact Bob Fritts PH:919-499-0151 for info. Come enjoy a family of fliers and fun. Sponsor: JOHNSONVILLE MAS

9th Annual Double Creek Airport Giant Scale Fly In
NC
06/14/08-06/15/08 - Statesville, NC (C-Restricted to IMAA) 9th Annual Double Creek Airport Giant Scale Fly In. Site: Shaver Wood Products. Roger Stutts CD, 1106 Charlotte Hwy Troutman NC 28166 PH:704-528-6771 e-mail: [email protected] . Take I77 to exit 49A. Take right on Hwy 70, go approx 8 miles to Rowan County line. Field on left about ÂĽ mile past county line behind Shaver Wood Products. Watch for signs, $10 landing fee covers both days. Food & lodging close by. Grass & large, reg 8AM, flying 9AM. Sponsor: STATESVILLE MODEL FLYERS

Kershaw County Flyers IMAC 7
SC
6/14/08-6/15/08 - Camden, SC (AA) Kershaw County Flyers IMAC 7 for 411, 412, 413, 414, 415(JSO). Site: Club Field. Craig Baker CD, PH:706-309-9749 email: [email protected]. 40 x 300 paved, 120 x 800 grass runways, 200 acre fly over space. $30 entry fee includes pilots lunch. RV's welcome. Visit www.camsc.net. Sponsor: KERSHAW COUNTY FLYERS

or july

RAMS Dragonfly Helicopter Fly In
NC
7/12/08 - East Bend, NC (C) RAMS Dragonfly Helicopter Fly In. Site: Club Field. Rodney Stauffer CD, 4610 Sunny Dr Winston-Salem NC 27106 PH:336-924-8010 email: [email protected]. Call or e-mail CD for directions. All helicopters! Open flying! Demonstrations! Obstacle course to test your skill!. $10 landing fee. Registration and activities begin at 10am. Concession stand, restroom and overnight/no hookup camping available at flying site. Visit www.riversiderc.com for more details. Sponsor: RIVERSIDE AREA MODELERS SOCIETY

Land of the Sky SPA Meet
NC
7/12/08-7/13/08 - Asheville, NC (C) Land of the Sky SPA Meet. Site: Old Landfill. Will Hicks CD, 25 Blessing Court Hendersonville NC 28739 PH:828-553-8116 email: [email protected]. Visit www.abaeromodelers.org. Come on out and enjoy our 3rd Annual SPA meet. Great Fun! Come on out and enjoy the festivities. Spectators are welcome. Lunch will be available Saturday. The noise limit is posted on the website. See ya there! Sponsor: ASHEVILLE-BUNCOMBE AEROMODELERS

Summer Sizzler
NC
07/12/08 - Newport, NC (C) Summer Sizzler. Site: Club Field. David Jones CD, 194 Cedar Ln Newport NC 28570 PH:252-727-4750 e-mail: [email protected] . All planes, all sizes. $5 landing fee. Registration at 9AM, fly til dark. On site food & facilities. Close to beaches, hotels, shopping & restaurants. Bring the family for a day at the beach. Sponsor: CRYSTAL COAST RC CLUB

or august

RCA Big Bird Fly In
NC
8/16/08 - Kinston, NC (C) RCA Big Bird Fly In. Site: Club Field. Nelson Phillips Jr CD, 2022 Greene Haynes Rd Kinston NC 28504 PH:252-569-0558 email: [email protected]. Visit www.coastalplanes.com. LF$5, food and sanitary facilities on site. Giant scale size rules in effect, 80" and larger mono, 60" and larger bi-planes or true ÂĽ scale. Sponsor: RICHARD CASWELL AERONAUTS
Old 05-06-2008, 08:08 PM
goliathman

Next monday will be the deadline for sending the sanctioning paper work to Andy Kane for the June event.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:15 PM
vicman

Nice work there G-man[)]
Old 05-07-2008, 09:40 AM
DonStegall

I need a CD for the June event. Does the CD have to be from the same district? I don't think so or that would cause issues.

Vic, I don't have Jay Marsh's info handy. Can you send it to me via PM or call Jay and have him call me at 704-968-2881 or email at [email protected] ???

James, could you CD the June event (and/or the others)?
Old 05-08-2008, 04:51 PM
goliathman

everthing is good to go for all three of the summer races at Lowe's. Humpy, The club President and I are good to go. We dont require a specific AMA sanction for these races.
As for the need of a CD for the race in June ,I wouldnt mind doing It ,but i dont know squat about pylon racing yet.

From the AMA:

"AMA SANCTIONED EVENTS
AMA sanctions contests, fly for fun meets, demonstrations,
and other flying events. An AMA sanction means that the
activity is endorsed by the Academy, is supervised by an
AMA Contest Director (CD), is intended for AMA
members only, and that the dates are protected from
competing AMA activities in the vicinity.

Sanctioning also means that those participating in the
activity are insured. A participating AMA member is
assured that other fliers are insured to protect him just as
his AMA insurance protects others."

As long as every body has a current AMA card they still have AMA coverage. Thats the most important element of sanctioning, but we dont need a sanction to do that.

As the secritary of FAPA (and an AMA CD in good standing)you can be sure that if you want to participate in the summer pylon races at Lowe's you WILL be required to show(and I mean actualy show) a current AMA card period!

Larry Moore FAPA sec.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:04 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: DonStegall

I need a CD for the June event. Does the CD have to be from the same district? I don't think so or that would cause issues.

Vic, I don't have Jay Marsh's info handy. Can you send it to me via PM or call Jay and have him call me at 704-968-2881 or email at [email protected] ???

James, could you CD the June event (and/or the others)?

Yes, a CD is an important step for a sanctioned meet, but whomever it is will have to get the request submitted at least 30 days ahead of time.

Whomever you get will know all that, but it won't help knowing it if he doesn't have that time.

You might get in touch with Josh at KC Hobbies (east of you in Archdale/High Point) for two reasons. First, he runs a plylon series. I think it's the closest to you and you'll benefit from the publicity. And second, he's a CD and might be willing to help.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:58 AM
vicman

You might get in touch with Josh at KC Hobbies (east of you in Archdale/High Point) for two reasons. First, he runs a plylon series. I think it's the closest to you and you'll benefit from the publicity. And second, he's a CD and might be willing to help.
Uhhmm...Rock, you are only part right there. Josh is a CD and a great guy who will help if he can, but Jay is the CD for the pylon races.[sm=49_49.gif]

Anyway it looks like they got it covered.
I know I won't be at the first one but who will be at the rest other than Mike R? I'm excited to finally have some more racing in NC!
Old 05-10-2008, 07:17 PM
DonStegall

The word is going to get out, so I'm just going to post it here.

On Friday after work, a car in front of me on Lawyers road stopped for some ducks in the road. I stopped, but the lady behind me didn't and I got hit really hard. So hard it folded the truck up behind the cab. My head busted the rear window out. I was taken to the hospital and checked out. No actual internal damage was found. But my back and neck are real sore. And the truck is totalled. I'll be ok, but what was shaping up to be a real nice weekend kind of got messed up.

I'm so sore that working on planes is not easy. But at least I can sit at the computer. So I'm going to get some of the promotional materials done for the Summer Pylon Series and I'll be on the forums more for a few days. Plus I'll be on Windows Live Messenger using my DonStegall @ live.com email address. If you have anything on your mind, message, PM, or email me.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:08 PM
heliothiszea

Don - Glad you are OK . . . that must have been a scary wreck. I think I'll make most of the Lowe's races. They should be fun. Take care of yourself. And I'll see you soon - Seth
Old 05-21-2008, 04:20 PM
DonStegall

Some of you may have heard that Humpy Wheeler is retiring after the Coca-Cola 600 this weekend. I have been in touch with him and the Summer Pylon Series is still on. We are looking forward to some tremendous events and a press release should go out on the AP wire within a week.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:10 PM
goliathman

well thats good news! judging from the TV lately i was starting to get worried if our field at lowe's would reopen.

I flew my pylon racer at Midland NC, most of monday and after some adjustment I like the way it flys and lands. Im looking forward the races.

Some of you may have heard that Humpy Wheeler is retiring after the Coca-Cola 600 this weekend. I have been in touch with him and the Summer Pylon Series is still on. We are looking forward to some tremendous events and a press release should go out on the AP wire within a week.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:09 PM
DonStegall

I need to hear from everybody that is planning to come to Charlotte next weekend (6/14-6/15) to race. Please email me, PM me, or post a message here.

While there have been some potential issues with the actual venue, I'm still planning to have a race. Worst case is flying at my field and that isn't a real bad option.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:42 AM
Regent

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don
Glad to hear that you were not seriously injured. Just goes to prove that pylon racers are a hard headed bunch.

I have a couple of quick questions. I will be flying in the Sport 40 class only and would like to know if the S-40 class will be flown on both days or will the whole class be flown on one day? If it is one day, then which day? Being as I will be traveling from the Atlanta area I would prefer to get all the flying done in one day so as to save the expense of an extra day in a motel. Us old retired dudes have to stretch that social security check ya know.

The last time I looked on the website I didn’t see a registration page. Are you going to be handling the registration by email?

Old 06-10-2008, 09:07 PM
goliathman

I need to hear from everybody that is planning to come to Charlotte next weekend (6/14-6/15) to race. Please email me, PM me, or post a message here.

While there have been some potential issues with the actual venue, I'm still planning to have a race. Worst case is flying at my field and that isn't a real bad option.
> E-mail from Roger Neale.(facilities director LMS)

>
>
> > You can begin again this weekend. Roger

Looks like LMS will be open for flying by this weekend.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:50 AM
DonStegall

I verified with Roger's office that Lowe's Motor Speedway will be open for R/C flying this weekend. And for the rest of the summer.

Because of my auto collision and because the LMS situation was unknown, I have not promoted the race very much. But I got an email from Jay Marsh yesterday and he is planning to be there at least on Saturday to run a race as the CD. He has most of the stuff needed to run a race and the rest I have. He has run many of the AT-6 races in this area, and he can get the job done.

We can do this if we get the word out. Even if it is newbies and potential racers, they can work the course, see what goes on, etc. I have 3 Advanced Club 40 planes and I will be loaning out 2 of them to local guys.

While we will not have a large public spectator group, it would be good preparation to make the July and August races run even better.

I am going to add a "Race What You Bring" class so that anyone can participate if they have a plane. And I'm going to email the revised flier to all of the local club mailing lists.

Let's RACE!!!

Please respond or call me at work at 704-427-6011 or on my cell at 704-968-2881.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:25 AM
DonStegall

I went by the Lowe's R/C flying site on the way to work. The safety fence is back up. Everything is mowed and there are trash cans. I have added a "Race What You Bring" class so that anyone can try flying the pylon course.

See the flier at [link]http://www.lowesrc.com/uploads/sps.pdf[/link]
Old 06-13-2008, 09:15 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How many planned participants Don?
Old 06-13-2008, 10:24 AM
DonStegall

Based on what I know at the moment, we will have 10-20 Club 40 and Quickie 25 participants.

"Race What You Bring" may bring in more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.