Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Club 40
Reload this Page >

Club 40 Race in Harvest, AL

Community
Search
Notices
Club 40 Discuss all Club 40 flying here.

Club 40 Race in Harvest, AL

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 10:52 AM
JohnMcGowan
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Club 40 Race in Harvest, AL

That is sorta weird that your plane didnt gather any more speed than 1 mph in a dive. You think the prop sort of acted as a brake disc or something to that effect?

Tim, about what time would you suggest our caravan crew leave here in Bham Saturday am to get up there and give us all a little time to set up and practice a round or two before it all kicks off ?
Old 08-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Tbatt
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Travel time for me to Alabaster was 1:45. We will have the pylons up around 7:30am and close practice at 9:30am with the pilots meeting. First heat scheduled at 10am. I suggest leaving no later than 7am.

Do you know how many are planning on coming from the B'ham area?
Old 08-04-2010, 11:19 AM
JohnMcGowan

ORIGINAL: Tbatt

Travel time for me to Alabaster was 1:45. We will have the pylons up around 7:30am and close practice at 9:30am with the pilots meeting. First heat scheduled at 10am. I suggest leaving no later than 7am.

I do know of at least 3 of us are coming from Birmingham RC, possibly 4.
The good folks from Alabaster RC that I know for sure are at least Dave Phillips- D2, and his son Dave, D3, and I would guess about 2 to 3 more, but maybe we can get them to chime in her and give us a head count from their club .
Ring ...ring, Dave, you listening?
Old 08-04-2010, 12:37 PM
BarryReade
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NEWS FLASH!

The entry fee has been bumped up to $15 BUT it now includes fuel and lunch!

Don't forget your hard hats!
And still a great deal. Most races I go to it is $20 entry fee and lunch is extra. Tim, you going to have some of those chicken apple dogs like you had at Alabaster?

Old 08-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Tbatt

John MoooooooooVe-over McGowan is bringing them!
Old 08-04-2010, 01:49 PM
JohnMcGowan

You got that right! LOL
Barry, Ive got you covered on the good sausages my friend ( as long as you slow down a little and let me win a heat race !
Old 08-04-2010, 02:51 PM
BarryReade

Darn John, you have it bad.[X(]  Now you are a sausage pimp to win a race.  I will try and slow down but I don't know if I can go that slow.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:25 PM
dphillips3

ORIGINAL: JohnMcGowan

I do know of at least 3 of us are coming from Birmingham RC, possibly 4.
The good folks from Alabaster RC that I know for sure are at least Dave Phillips- D2, and his son Dave, D3, and I would guess about 2 to 3 more, but maybe we can get them to chime in her and give us a head count from their club .
Ring ...ring, Dave, you listening?
I know of two for sure and possibly two more. We are having our annual Darrel Garrison fly in on the same day and that may stop a few from coming , sooooo I know for sure dad and I will be there.
I think last time we left at 6:00 am and got there in plenty of time (to watch it rain lol)

DP#3
Old 08-06-2010, 12:45 PM
BarryReade

DP#3, I look forward to meeting you.  We missed you at Alabaster but, I understand you had family obligations.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:02 PM
JohnMcGowan

D3, reliable sources tells me that you have a can of whoop something or another that you want to pour all over me come race day . Oh yeah huh? Ok just for that, you will not get any good sausages at lunchtime !! And Im also going to install a huge front bumper on my plane in case you want to slow me down in the corners! HA ... how you like THAT ? [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

D3, I think you dad is supposed to come by my work today so I can install his secret weapon eyeglass lenses. And best of luck tomorrow when yall go to the pattern event up in Hunsville.
John
Old 08-06-2010, 04:37 PM
BarryReade

Oh man, I have juiced up the Charley Brown Pumpkin machine. I hav e new wheels, front and rear, and a new all aluminum spinner that only cost $12.

TheSL CR40 fuselage is progressing nicely so I will have a back up this race.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24561.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	1479119  
Old 08-06-2010, 04:42 PM
JohnMcGowan

Get 'er done Barry! [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 08-06-2010, 06:06 PM
dphill2

Hey Guy's the Alabaster gang looks like it will be Jim Reining,Tom Rowan, Lil Dave and Myself.
I do know Ed Zwilling has a new plane but don't know if he is coming up. We have several guy's with new planes and some of them I dont know, they just come up to me and start talking about how much fun we had last week !! Sooo we could see some new faces real soon.
Lil Dave and I switch gears this week end as we are going to fly in the BPA pattern contest in Huntsville Al. This is the old school Pattern planes with tuned pipes and retracks. Lil Dave has a Rocket fast MK Arrow running a rear Ex Rossi and I have a Tipo with a OS VF rear Ex w/springair retracks. These Airplanes are a lot of fun to fly and we look foward to flying in this contest every year.
Can't wait to get back to raceing Though, See you guy's on the 14th !!!
Hey Texas come on over we won't messs with ya
Old 08-08-2010, 04:23 PM
BarryReade

Well, I finally got the "Great Pumpkin" cranked up today and took it out for a spin. Got a lot to do before I leave next Friday morning for Huntsville. Still haven't finished the fuselage for my back up. Oh well, time flys also. Got to go see if I have enough parts in the parts bin to assemble a motor for the back up. It will also be a Pumpkin plane.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:27 PM
BarryReade

Weather is looking great for next Saturday.  Lets see how the week goes.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:28 PM
BarryReade

Darn, everybody is soooo quiet with the race only one week away. What's up???
Old 08-08-2010, 10:00 PM
dphill2

Flying Pattern this week Barry. But we will be back at the poles next week!!
Got to switch gears again, and get my race fleet going !! New mota and got to break it in. yukkk.

Never fear We will be in Harvest Sat AM RACE READY[8D]
Old 08-08-2010, 10:15 PM
JohnMcGowan

Hi All,
Im excited as a midget at a yo-yo contest about coming up next Saturday! Ive got me a new skyraider as a back-up plane but its still in the box... maybe I can get it all done before the weekend comes. We all went up to our club field this morning and flew a few practice rounds around 2 imaginary pylons, its funny, I didnt get ANY pylon cuts today!! I must be gettting a little better? HAHAHAHA
And the sun was beating down pretty hard around 1100, so we all packed it up and headed back home.

I really look forward to making the trip........and Barry, Ive already bought the sausages as of yesterday, so dont worry, the sausage pimp will take care of you
Later,
John Mc
Old 08-09-2010, 05:47 AM
BarryReade

I understand DP2. Where are the pictures, how many contestants in your class, and where did you place???

Also Pictures, any pictures?? or a link to pictures??

IMWTK!!

I knew you were at a pattern contest but, where is everyone else???

ORIGINAL: dphill2

Flying Pattern this week Barry. But we will be back at the poles next week!!
Got to switch gears again, and get my race fleet going !! New mota and got to break it in. yukkk.

Never fear We will be in Harvest Sat AM RACE READY[8D]
Old 08-09-2010, 05:54 AM
BarryReade

Now John, you aren't allowed to practice because it's illegal. It will improve your lap times and you will be more competitive than the guys that don't practice. Therefore you will be accused of doing things to your plane to make it go faster that the other guys that don't practice.

I really appreciate the sausage thing as they are great and I have to avoid beef because of my gout.

Would you like a set of plans for a pair of portable pylons?

ORIGINAL: JohnMcGowan

Hi All,
Im excited as a midget at a yo-yo contest about coming up next Saturday! Ive got me a new skyraider as a back-up plane but its still in the box... maybe I can get it all done before the weekend comes. We all went up to our club field this morning and flew a few practice rounds around 2 imaginary pylons, its funny, I didnt get ANY pylon cuts today!! I must be gettting a little better? HAHAHAHA
And the sun was beating down pretty hard around 1100, so we all packed it up and headed back home.

I really look forward to making the trip........and Barry, Ive already bought the sausages as of yesterday, so dont worry, the sausage pimp will take care of you
Later,
John Mc
Old 08-09-2010, 08:27 AM
Tbatt

My wife had be helping to re-do one of our kids bedroom into a guest room this weekend. Somewhere along the line of moving furmiture, I strained my back and was pertty much out of it for most of the weekend. JD came to the rescue and I managed to start feeling better by Sunday which was my birthday. Getting old sucks, but it is better than the alternative!

I've got an interview with a local paper today to help promote the race for spectators. Hopefully we will get a good turn out for the race. Alabaster had a great spectator turn out.

Next I've got to do some work on my #1 plane. I've got it going so fast now that I'm having aileron flutter. Actually, the right aileron torque rod bearing has worn to the point that the right aileron will flutter. Some minor surgery will cure it. I just have to find time out of a busy schedule.

The SRMII raffle airplane has been purchased from one of our LHS. It is a solid "Arrest Me Red" color
Old 08-09-2010, 09:19 AM
BarryReade

Tim, if time is important just tape the end of the aileron to the wing. 2" packing tape is great and will take care of the flutter until you have time to make the other repair.

I know all about back problems. Not only do I fix them but, I have had my own share of the affliction.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:34 AM
JohnMcGowan

Tim, Im sorry to hear about your back. And HAPPY Birthday bro!!!
As with Barry, mine was messed up some years ago and every so often it reminds me. Mine hurts when I use a shovel, of all things. I guess I need to buy my wife a shovel that is her size? [sm=72_72.gif]
Sounds like you need to slow your plane down Tim? ( just enough so that I will be able to pass you anyway!
Tim, would you pm me your email addy? I need "dee"rections on how to come from Bham please. Then you will have my email once I respond.
Thanks!
JMc
Old 08-09-2010, 10:14 AM
Tbatt

Thanks guys. My back feels much better after just taking it easy for a couple of days. I had a fairly bad muscle pull while I was in the Air Force stationed at Minot ND. It was not bad enough for disability, but it does flair up on occasion.

Barry, good idea about the packing tape but the problem is not at the tip but the root of the aileron. I've seen this problem before with the same aileron and the last "fix" was to reglue the torque rod bearing tube back in place after the glue had failed. I think that the previous flutter had worn the bearing tube to the point that the torque rod can move too much which allows the aileron to go into flutter. This airframe is one of the earlier ones with the metal hinges so removal of the aileron to do the repair is not an option. My plan is to cut the torque rod completely out of the wing and aileron. At that point I will either repair or replace the the whole assembly. After the repair/replacement I will reinstall the torque rod assembly and make certain that it is properly glued back in. I may shoot some pictures of what I do just in case someone else has a similar problem.

The main thing is not to put too much time into the repair. Murphy may be watching. I can just see putting three or four hours into a massive rework only to midair in the first heat.........

This airframe weighs in at 4lb 8.5oz so I don't want to add any weight either!
Old 08-09-2010, 10:27 AM
BarryReade

Tim, think positive!!!

The "Great Pumpkin" weighs in at 8/13+ so I see that I am in trouble already.

The main thing is not to put too much time into the repair. Murphy may be watching. I can just see putting three or four hours into a massive rework only to midair in the first heat.........

This airframe weighs in at 4lb 8.5oz so I don't want to add any weight either!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.