RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Club 40 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/club-40-491/)
-   -   2012 RCPRO Club 40 National Championship Race (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/club-40-491/10984973-2012-rcpro-club-40-national-championship-race.html)

rcpilot32 04-06-2012 02:04 PM

RE: 2012 RCPRO Club 40 National Championship Race

Glad to hear you are going Tray. I dusted off my Skyraider and will start practice tomorrow morning. Haven't did any laps since the Charlotte series. Maybe I can stay up with those Texas/Alabama guys.
People may think that starting practice now is a little early. Before I drive 1000 miles one way, I want to know that I am the best that I can be with my pilot skills.

James

gefisher 04-06-2012 08:28 PM

John,

I’m pretty sure you can fly FM 72 MHz at Waco, maybe we can get one of these guys from Waco to give us the answer on that. I know we still use them at our field in Georgetown!

DonStegall 04-07-2012 06:08 AM

ORIGINAL: twitte1

Don,

Will there be flaggers at each pole? Or will there be flaggers on one pole only?

Trey
Trey,

That will be up to Jim McGuinn, the contest Director. He has the full support of the HOTMAC club. There should be no worker issues. This event will be publicized locally to bring out spectators and to bring people from surrounding clubs. Hopefully there will be enough parking. ;) They will handle it.

I will not be involved in the race operations, other than sponsorship and preparation. And participation. Jim and his crew will run the race.

Back in 2009 I was going to build 2 sets of lights for 2010. I am going to see about getting Jim Katz plans and schematics and see if I can build a pair with my father and son this summer. To have for local races in the future and for this race if needed.

I will get an answer to your question and add it to the FAQ page.

I've got to get the Rules and Procedures document finished anyway. I got the [link=http://www.rcpro.org/content/rcpro/club_40/rules/rules.aspx]Club 40 Rules for the Airplanes[/link] in web format, but have not added the champ race engine clarification and still have to get the procedures section done.

skull1971 04-07-2012 07:16 AM

Well I keep getting called out,,, I tried do dodge the bullet here, BUT I want to clear the air and get this monkey off my back. I'm sure this is the WRONG place to do it, but I know everyone is looking here for info on the C40 Nat's, so this is as good a place as any.

Cheating!!! I'm still pissed about it. I'm embarrassed that I was NMPRA V.P. at the time, with the single goal of getting more C40 racing going, that guys were cheating with their aircraft. The list of accused, and confirmed cheater's is not a long one, but you know who you are, and should be ashamed. Now I will not release the names on those lists, I just ask that the race CD's do everything they can to make sure everyone follows the rules. What's sad is we lost race sites due to this, Alvin was hosting two races a year, and most of their racing members traveled to other races just to support their club. I know the last race I was able to host, without the Alvin club members, we would have not had the race because they filled in and helped run it. Because of the cheating, they have basically shut down the racing. My dear friend, the late Mark Weiss, worked real hard to promote C40, he's the one who got Alvin on board with it, plus we were going to Brazos Valley, and Livingston to demo it and try to get more people involved. Well in my eyes, the cheating was a slap in the face to the memory of Mark and everything he did for our little sport. My big question is, why? Why do you have to cheat? for what you spent to cheat, Chuck Esh could have made you a whole stack of first place and fast time awards, so what was the point? I always looked at C40 as a fun, low cost way to compete, where the skill on the sticks, and engine tune on the starting line, is where you won or lost. The whole thing pisses me off, and makes me sick!!

Now 90% of the racers never did a thing wrong except race as hard as they could!! and to you THANK YOU!! and I hope see and fly with you again soon. The other 10%,, well I may not have beat you at the end of the day. BUT, I know I passed you and if everything was equal as it should have been, I'd have beat you.

squidman 04-07-2012 09:13 AM

Hey Skully, how about a list of these offenders so everyone can keep an eye on them. I would love to see every motor torn down after the races to prevent this. The public humiliation would stop it quick.
Are you going to do any more racing in the future? I would like to see you continue to race. Does cheating go in the motorcycle racing world or is it riding skills? How are the cut judges paid off? :D [&o]

DonStegall 04-07-2012 10:18 AM

Skully,

I can empathize with you. I will admit that I quit because of the 2009 season at Lowes Motor Speedway and one person in particular. He ruined it for me. I tried to put on fun races for everyone and most people had a good time. He came to me after the final race and tore me apart for not running a "Professional" race. During the races, he harassed the course workers even though I tried to stop it. He came to my house on a Monday after a race unannounced and ranted at me for an hour.

After I announced the 2012 RCPRO Club 40 National Championship Race, I started getting emails from an individual about the rules. My first thought was "Oh no, here it comes again". I talked to Jim McGuinn and then I put my foot down. If that person doesn't want to play by the rules, it is his problem.

We will have the rules and procedures finalized soon and everyone will play by the rules.

Now, to be fair, the rules that have been posted on some fliers are not real strict. Simply specifying that certain planes be used leaves a lot of wiggle room. And the RCPRO rules used to have a list of Allowed Modifications. Now they have some limitations, but the primary guiding rule is "Assembled per instructions".

I was actually asked if using an Sky Raider Mach II wing on an LA Racer 40 would be legal at the champ race. Does that sound like "Assembled per instructions" ???

skull1971 04-07-2012 03:10 PM

Steve, I'll be back, and don't worry I will call out anyone who is in question, and I might piss a few off but if I see it, and it's wrong, I will make a scene out of it! I've seen cuts go un-called just because of who the pilot was, and let it ride,, NO MORE!! We all play by the same rules, or take your junk and go home.

Don, "I feel ya"

DonStegall 04-08-2012 03:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I had to clean out my trailer a month or so back so my brother could use it and I put some of my stuff in the garage. I brought the Club 40 planes upstairs for cleaning and refurbishment on Saturday and found that a mouse had gotten into the yellow LA Racer 40 wing. Chewed the wires on a Spektrum DS821 servo and destroyed the inside of the left wing panel. I never liked the fuselage with the tail trim, so I will just put a new one together with all of the components. The wing still looks ok from the outside so maybe it can be a Show and Tell plane with some crashed servos and a junk engine put in it.

The trailer made a couple of trips to the dump on Friday and it was good to be pulling it again. I'm looking forward to pulling it to Waco for the Champ Race. I may try to get a camper top so that another rider can go with James and I. It would be good to have another rider to share the cost. But the trailer may be full.

James and I will have our Club 40 planes. Our Wingman II planes for demos. And if we have them flying, our gas powered Giant Scale P-51 planes.

I already have some sponsorship prizes, but those will probably be shipped to Texas.

gefisher 04-08-2012 05:30 AM

Don,

The guys here in Texas are really looking forward to all you guys coming out to race with us! I hope the other clubs around will realize what this big event will mean to our RCPRO Club-40 organization and what
the future will bring for Club-40 racing around the country.

Gary

Tx_RcFlyer 04-08-2012 08:35 AM

My biggest concern is because this is being touted as a "National" race,those who blatantlycheated before hand will bo whatever they can to get that unfail advantage in this event.Last year was pretty damn fun and competative for everyone participating after the rules violators started playing fairly or simply didn't show up to race at all.

See Ya in October!

Ted

ORIGINAL: skull1971

Steve, I'll be back, and don't worry I will call out anyone who is in question, and I might piss a few off but if I see it, and it's wrong, I will make a scene out of it! I've seen cuts go un-called just because of who the pilot was, and let it ride,, NO MORE!! We all play by the same rules, or take your junk and go home.

Don, "I feel ya"

pylonboy26 04-08-2012 08:38 AM

Skully you are soo full of crap dude!!!!!!   there was no cheating going on  that I knew of.  if there was cheating it didnt help them win. Truth be told, your skills on the sticks was your problem. I take offense to you saying this because I am the one calling you out all the time. I do it because I thought we were friends and you could handle it. This little rant of yours is uncalled for. So if you wanna call someone out call them out but dont be a chick and dance around it brother.

skull1971 04-08-2012 01:11 PM

Tbatt 04-10-2012 10:19 AM

I'm going to try and make the race. Hopefully we can get a gang together and split the gas cost, OUCH! I calculated the cost if I went alone and it would run around $800 for everything based on $4 a gallon.

We need to find someone with a full size hybrid van to provide transportation. Any takers.......

Tim

gunfighter 05-30-2012 04:53 PM

Hey Skully...Need me to come and help you kick some *****??

dphill2 05-30-2012 06:34 PM

Hey Tim I can Go !! Let me know and we will see if there might be a few more :D
Dave ..

skull1971 05-30-2012 07:25 PM

ORIGINAL: gunfighter

YES!! you are welcome to fly with me anytime!!!!

Better yet,, can I fly with you??

Jim Duda 05-30-2012 07:39 PM

If you could get Officer Chuck to manage the Tech Inspection Table, I GUARANTEE there would be no rules infractions... I sincerely hope he will make it to the Waco Champ Dance in October!

DonStegall 05-31-2012 01:46 AM

Welcome back Chuck :D

Ken Erickson 05-31-2012 05:44 AM

Chuck, good to see you are still around.

Guys, if he comes back you are in for a real race flying challenge.

Ken

gunfighter 05-31-2012 05:58 AM

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the responses!
I am delighted to see Club 40 still going strong.
I have not flown an airplane in 4 years, but I would love to come out and see all my old buddies!
I might even bring old "Fast" Eddie Flesher with me.

Chuck

Jim Duda 05-31-2012 06:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Back in the day...

Beam 05-31-2012 07:53 AM

If we are going to go back to real honest racing. I might just have to come to Waco too.

Mike

gunfighter 05-31-2012 08:07 AM

Ha! Ha!...THOSE were the days Jim!
You still got the pic of the "Over the hill gang" at the first Champ race? think it was November '08?? You, Me, Old Bob and Terry Large on the line. That was one of the best heats I can ever remember...

gunfighter 05-31-2012 08:27 AM

Wow! I just dug this up and it sure brings back memories!!
This was the write up from the first club 40 Championship race....

Saturday, November 1st, 2008
Lester Field (ARCA) Austin, TX

The day broke with a slight chill, but that was not to last very long. As the competitors arrived, the field transformed into a spectacle. The pilots were loose and anxious, and trash talking was heard across the field. Would the “Young Guns” with their exceptional eyesight and reflexes be able to hold off the experience and cunning of the “Old Geezers”? Or would the “Old Geezers” open up a Texas size can of “Whop Ass”? This was “The big one” and every pilot knew they would be tested to the limit on this day. All the previous winners were there to do battle. Pilots from Dallas, Houston, New Waverly, Georgetown, Waco, Canyon Lake, San Antonio and all points in between were there to compete in the first annual -

“Texas Club 40 Championship”

CD Jim Duda started the pilot briefing with a description of the new timing system developed by Stan Douglas et al. After a brief familiarization with the rules and safety procedures, we were ready to race.

The first race of the day set the pace for what would be one of the greatest races I have ever attended. All four pilots were previous winners in the circuit. All four were ready to prove they were the best on this day, and they did not disappoint!

The race was very close, with the lead changing several times. In the end, Bob Petrinec showed every one he was here to win. His time of 1:27.05 was just the beginning of a day when 6 pilots would turn in times faster than the current record time for this group.

The heats continued at a rather frantic pace of 4 ½ minutes from “Flag to flag”. By lunch time, the top pilots were staking their claim on this race. Jason Oliver and Tim Purcell were perfect through 3 rounds, with Bob Petrinec and Jeff Large only 1 point behind.

After a half hour break for lunch, we continued on with renewed vitality and the racing got even more brutal. Round 4 heat #2 was a classic match up! This could have been dubbed “The Old Geezers Final”. Standing on the pilots line were more than 100 years of racing experience: Bob Petrinec, Freddy French, Chuck Waller and Terry Large calling for Bob. The race was extremely close until the final few laps when Bob pulled ahead while setting a new record time for our group of 1:19.68! Chuck took 2nd with Freddy close behind.

Round 5 was a turning point in the race. After going perfect for 4 rounds, Tim Purcell stumbled in the 5th with a double cut and no points. Jason Oliver finished in 3rd place in his heat and Jeff Large ended up in 2nd place in his heat. This would set up one of the best races of the season.

Round 6, heat #5…The next to last heat of the season, featured Jason Oliver, standing at 18 points, Tim Purcell, at 16 points and Jeff Large with 18 points. Waiting in the wings were Jason Duda with 22 points, Chuck Waller with 19, Gary Fisher, Freddy French and Terry Large with 18 points each!

The race was every thing we expected. All three pilots flew an exceptional race with several lead changes and more than one close call! About lap 7, Tim had a cut at pylon #2. Jeff and Jason continued the battle right to the finish line with a “Photo finish”! In the end, Jeff Large edged out Jason by 14 hundredths of a second! 1:22.63 to a second place 1:22.77.

The Top 10, ranked by Points. (ties were broken by fast time)

Jason Duda 22 points 1:20.33
Jeff Large 22 points 1:22.63
Jason Oliver 21 points 1:22.77
Chuck Waller 19 points 1:28.62
Gary Fisher 18 points 1:26.36
Freddy French 18 points 1:28.15
Terry Large 18 points 1:28.59
Tim Purcell 18 points 1:29.15
Bob Petrinec 17 points 1:19.68 ** New Record!!
Eddie Flesher 17 points 1:27.98
*Ken Hopson 17 points 1:31.60 (11th place due to best time)

In the end, this was the best race we have ever had and will be the benchmark for all events in the future. The new timing system developed by Stan Douglas worked flawlessly and allowed us to run more heats in less time than any race I have attended. The pilots were very professional while still having a great deal of fun! If you needed something, any thing, some one was there to help you out. This included loaning out a complete airplane for a competitor to fly against you!

The Austin Radio Control Assn (ARCA) field was in excellent shape and the club members treated us to a great lunch and lots of Texas hospitality. The weather was absolutely perfect! Mid 80’s, light wind and low humidity made for a very enjoyable day and some very fast times.

Our sponsors for this race were very generous and helpful. A special thanks goes out to:
Airborne Models, 2nd Chance Hobbies, RCPRO and Stegall Hobbies, Chuck Esh and Sonaloma Laser, Safe-T-Train, Inc., Power Master and Ritches Brew. Thanks to these sponsors, our award table was over flowing with nice prizes and awards.

Also, a very special “Thank You” to our volunteer officials. We must remember that without them, it would be very difficult to hold a race. Our officials were: Jim Duda (Race announcer and CD) Stan Douglas (timing system operator), Bernard “Crash” Siegel (Score Keeper), Bill Black (starter), Mark Weiss and Bill McCann (Pylon judges), Andy Clapp, Pat Duffey, Donny Donohue and Morris Duet. All of our officials received a nice award for their service. We also held a raffle for the officials only, giving them a choice of any thing on the prize table! We also put their names into the hat with the pilots for the over all raffle which included: 2 LA Racer ARF’s, 1 Sky Raider Mach 2 ARF, a New TT Pro 40 motor, 5 Transmitter stands, 15 Transmitter bags and 2 gallons of Power Master fuel.

Winners of the raffle were:
Morris Duet, LA Racer; Rafael Ladesma, LA Racer; Jason Oliver , Sky Raaider Mach II; Chuck Esh, TT Pro 40; Almost all the other pilots and officials received either a transmitter bag or a transmitter stand.

I thought this would be a close race overall, but I had no idea it would end up so closely packed at the top! In the end, the eyesight and reflexes of the “Young Guns” overcame the experience and patience of the “Old Geezers”! However, on this day, it did not matter. Friendships were strengthened, respect was gained by all. Every one had a great time and from what I heard after the race, the rivalries will again resurface when we start the next great season of RCPRO Club 40 racing in Texas!

Chuck

Jim Duda 05-31-2012 08:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Ha! Ha!...THOSE were the days Jim!
You still got the pic of the ''Over the hill gang'' at the first Champ race? think it was November '08?? You, Me, Old Bob and Terry Large on the line. That was one of the best heats I can ever remember...