RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Club 40 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/club-40-491/)
-   -   Club 40/46 Race in Amarillo, 2013 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/club-40-491/11105956-club-40-46-race-amarillo-2013-a.html)

dwaynenancy 06-04-2012 08:56 AM

Club 40/46 Race in Amarillo, 2013

Our club, the ARKS, is discussing having a Club 40 race some time next year. We want to allow the OS.46 to be used since most of our club members are using that engine. We would allow the two classes to fly together as the course is flown much wider by our members. The points would be 4,3,2,1 as normal w/o any distinction for the two engine sizes during a race. The awards would be divided into 2 classes though.

Any comments, good or bad?

:)

BarryReade 06-05-2012 04:07 AM

RE: Club 40/46 Race in Amarillo, 2013

Flying together?? Meaning mixed in the same heat or two distinct classes alternating heats or something like that?

Ken Erickson 06-05-2012 06:11 AM

Dwayne,

There is a good class being raced in many parts of the country. It uses .40 ci engines. With only minor difficulties, enthusiasts can travel to other parts of the country and have a ball participating in RCPRO Club 40.

If you start using .46 ci engines, everyone in your group will feel the need to have a .46 engine. I saw this effect when we were first getting started in Texas.

Your group will not be able to go to another area and race their .46 engines.

For years the AMA racers decried the "Flavor of the Month" regarding engines.

We have a stable event. There are several manufacturers putting out reasonably priced .40 engines. The recognized "Best" is used by us and the AMA 424 class. They have sufficient sales to continue producing those engines.

Ken Erickson

dwaynenancy 06-05-2012 06:29 AM

It would be a mix of .40/.46 flying together but not competing against each other. At the end of the day prizes would be awarded for the Club .40 Class and prizes for those flying .46 engines. Almost everyone in Amarillo has a .46 engine so to get them to race those engines were allowed. I'm flying a .40 and until I can fly a better course I'm not worried about the extra displacement. If the racers in Amarillo want to go to a Club .40 race somewhere else they'll have to buy a .40 engine.

BarryReade 06-05-2012 07:32 AM

So Dwayne, why don't just run the RCPRO Club 40 rules with the only change being .46 engines.  I know a lot of guys that would be very competitive running a .40 against a .46.<div>
</div><div>I understand with the economy down folks are working at minimizing there hobby expenditure.  Anyway you need to do what works for your group.  Those that run a PRO .46 can take it out and bolt in a PRO .40 in its place and run a regular Club 40 event.  No big deal.</div><div>
</div><div>I hope you take pictures and post the results of your race.</div><div>
</div><div>Good Luck!!</div><div>
</div><div>
</div>

tsawyer148 06-05-2012 08:15 AM

Dwayne,

Is there any way that you would consider breaking it into two seperate classes and running only the .40's together and only the .46's together? Are you requiring a spec. airframe, (i.e., like all Skyraiders or LA racers, etc.)? One thing I can see that might become a bit problematic is the management of the race. It will probably take some time to sort out who came in what position during each heat which could slow things down a bit and cause headaches for the course workers and timers, etc.

I think you may also find that by running both engines together it could cause some to not have a good time. I can attest to the fact that a .46 will have a noticebale speed advantage over the .40, (that is assuming you are talking about the .46 FX or AX, not the LA .46), and during the day the flyers will become more comfortable with the course. If the guys with the bigger engines start over running the smaller engines it may cause some ill will.

Just my $0.02

dwaynenancy 06-05-2012 09:15 AM

No one here can stay on the course for 10 laps. The better flyer will win no matter which engine he/she is running. We have a couple that fly unlimited that are pretty good but past them anyone can win. I flew a LA Racer last race w/TT.40 and finished typically. I'm just trying to get some Club .40 flyers and the racers here to fly against each other to show that no one here has a advantage. Anyone from here would probably be flying in the Novice class anyway. I'm not trying to create a mess. If it doesn't work out we can go back and separate the engines to different classes.

tsawyer148 06-05-2012 09:18 AM

The important thing is that you at least try it, whatever "it" is. Get people out and make sure they have a good time, everything else will begin to fall into place.

Good luck!

THRL-CKER 06-05-2012 04:31 PM

<span style="font-size: medium"><span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS"><span style="font-size: medium"><span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS">Dwayne, Glad to see there is some interest in Club -40 up their wish you were closer. We have been using the <span class="squiggly" title="To see spelling suggestions, click this word" word="RCPRO" state="new" splc="splc">RCPRO</span> club 40 rules for several years and it is working. Adopting a set of rules that have been tweaked over the years will save you lots of time.

Using the .<span class="squiggly" title="To see spelling suggestions, click this word" word="40ci" state="new" splc="splc">40ci</span> engine is the way to go, for one thing we use the AMA 540 <span class="squiggly" title="To see spelling suggestions, click this word" word="B" state="new" splc="splc">B</span> waver that allows for shorter set backs. I am not sure a 46 could be used as the speed has to be kept under 100 MPH.

Everyone going by the same basic rules allows racers to attend other events all across the country.

This will be the first year for a National Club 40 race to be held and it is going to be in Waco TX October 13th &amp; 14th.

You may have also seen on <span class="squiggly" title="To see spelling suggestions, click this word" word="RCUNIVERSE" state="new" splc="splc">RCUNIVERSE</span> that many of us are making plans on going toAlabama for a race their.

Are there other clubs in the area that might also be interested in starting up a club 40 race circuit?

We draw racers from Dallas, Austin, <span class="squiggly" title="To see spelling suggestions, click this word" word="Hico" state="new" splc="splc">Hico</span>, and Houston areas with a race about once a month at different clubs.</span></span>
</span></span></p>

dwaynenancy 06-07-2012 09:54 AM

Jim, I know as I have been watching you. I lived in the Dallas area from 1962 until 1981 when we moved to Orlando. We moved back to Amarillo, TX in 2003, thank goodness. All the faces have changed but Dallas/Richardson is/was a good place to live.

:)

jstaff 06-13-2012 05:20 PM

Dewayne, get old Scott Hartman to help you out. Scott is from the Amarillo area and races AMA 424, and AMA 426 with the MOKAN guys. A good .40ci pilot will outrun a not so good .46ci pilot so just run'em any way you want, just get them racing.

dwaynenancy 06-14-2012 07:56 AM

That's exactly what I want to do.

skooterII 06-18-2012 07:35 PM

Well i talked to the guys who could show up at the races this past weekend here in Amarillo. I asked them if they would be willing to run a .40 engine instead of the .46, and nobody had a problem with changing IF we host a big race. So now we don't have to worry about running .40 an .46 together it will all be even and fair and a little tighter competition.

THRL-CKER 06-19-2012 04:24 AM

Great so get some races run and come to the Club- 40 Nats in Waco October 13th and 14th.

Ken Erickson 06-19-2012 07:17 AM

Yes, and besides going to Waco, keep us posted on how things go as you have your races.

Ken