Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

E-Bay and RC Parts...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 07:05 PM
richb1492
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Bay and RC Parts...

I was reading in another of the forums where a new flyer had purchased a plane listed as a trainer. He had posted pics of the plane and radio. The plane was not a good first plane and the radio was out of date.

It seem too me unless you are a serious knowledgeable person it best too buy from here or a local hobby shop. I might be wrong but i feel most of the people on RC universe sell things to not so much too make a huge profit but too make room for new stuff.
I have bought 2 radios from RCuniverse and each time I have gotten extra goodies so it was better than expected.
I have also seen that e-bay prices tend too be higher than normal.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-29-2003, 07:18 PM
MadScientist

Ebay prices ARE usually higher than normal. Since it's an auction, you get the auction fever part of the equation thrown in. Lots of people don't remember to figure in shipping costs either, so they overbid, or they don't bother to check and see what the price of the unit is new before they buy. Personally, I like these people, since I finance my RC activities entirely by placing items for sale on Ebay. I hardly ever sell RC stuff though, but you would be amazed at the prices I get for stuff I find a garage sales for little or no money.

If you're buying a trainer, chances are it's your first plane, and you are best to go to an LHS, and to also get input from fellow modelers at your club as to what and where to buy the plane and accessories you'll need.

With that being said, I've picked up a few good deals on ebay for RC stuff, but you do have to know what you're doing and be careful at all times.
Old 07-29-2003, 07:21 PM
vonJaerschky
My Feedback: (3)

E-Bay prices do tend to get inflated. I have sold stuff on E-Bay for more than I paid for the same item new. People get into a bidding frenzy and lose all reason. Do your research, and come up with a price you will not go over, and stick to it. You probably won't win many auctions, but you won't over pay for something, either. As for RCU, you are correct. Most guys want to move stuff out to make more room, and are generally more than fair in their asking prices. Modelers tend to take care of other modelers, that's one of the great things about this hobby1
Old 07-29-2003, 07:46 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I find people on RCU are looking for more of a bargain most of the times. I have sold a lot of my stuff here, but usually at lower prices than could be had at ebay. I have sold a lot on ebay though, some for high prices, some not.

I blame the buyer for the higher prices. People pay way too much for things sometimes. If they are not willing to do some research and learn what things are worth and what to buy, then it is their fault that they get old equipt and planes that are not right for the job. I have gotten some great deals on ebay, but I knew what I was looking for and sometimes took years to find it.

As anyplace else, know what you are buying and what it is worth. If you are willing to just bid to get the item, you will pay more than it is worth sometimes. Knowing what you are looking at helps a ton.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:08 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

People will buy anything on Ebay.

I once saw JR TX on there that had been unsucessfully modified to hook up to something..it had wires hanging out, the PC board was trashed, the case had been cut up for something.

It was described as "Piece of Crap".

Sold for about $20 if I recall.

Had a buddy shell a YS 120. Had it layed out on a towel, took pics, detailed what parts were shot. got about 2/3's the price of a brand new engine.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:46 PM
Johnnylightning

Originally posted by ChuckAuger
People will buy anything on Ebay.
True story....Child's Embalming Table from circa 1800's: sold for over $3,000 w/ 18 bidders. Makes you wonder.
Old 07-30-2003, 02:51 AM
FLYBOY

One mans trash is anothers treasure. I am heading back to the dump to get another load to sell on ebay.

(I was kidding for those of you who didn't already figure that out.)
Old 07-30-2003, 12:23 PM
Bob Yeager
My Feedback: (5)

Default Ebay

[quote]People will buy anything on Ebay.

Is this a great country, or what?
Old 07-30-2003, 01:31 PM
bgi
My Feedback: (7)

Wife: "Honey, it's time to change the kitty litter."

Husband: "Wait! Bag it up! Let's sell it on eBay!"
Old 07-30-2003, 03:19 PM
FLYBOY

Someone would bid on it too. I saw someone once bid to name someone elses kid. It takes all kinds. I have even seen pet rocks sell.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:07 PM
TallDude.
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

I prefer buying and selling through classifieds on here and other sites. At least you get to ask questions of the seller to try to make sure you are getting what you want and you can haggle on price a bit. As everyone else has said, often on auctions the price goes above retail. I stay away from them.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:19 PM
richb1492
My Feedback: (4)

I think some people big on E-bay for rc parts because they don't know about this site.. E-bay is well known but In my opinion I think this site is better for getting RC parts..
Old 09-16-2003, 07:36 PM
Landsh4rk
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: E-Bay and RC Parts...

Rich,
The trick to getting good deals on any auction is knowing how much it sells for new.The easiest way to do this is go to the Tower Hobbies website and send for a free catalog.I have bought some great stuff,mostly I go for the almost new or new stuff,and make sure you check the feedback section on the seller.If he sells bad stuff people will post it.Good hunting!![sm=greedy.gif]
Old 09-17-2003, 01:55 AM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

Default RE: E-Bay and RC Parts...

I personally will not buy anything off of ebay ever again. Now I will sell on ebay all day long. I have integrity, whereas a lot of folks that sell on ebay do not.

Case in point...I bought a Model Tech P51, you know, the one with retracts and all. Sells retail for $199.00 I think. Well the one I bid on was NIB, and the guy ended the auction early, as he said he was going out of town for the weekend and wanted to get it shipped out before he left town. I was the only bidder up to that point, and I won the auction for a mere $90.00. Well, as it goes, if it sounds to good to be true, then it probably IS! I sent the money through Pay Pal, and that was the last I heard of it. That was in March. I did not get my money back(credit purchase)until middle of July. And let me tell you, ebay does not make it easy for those who have disputes with their sellers. It is far too easy to get ripped off. Now I understand that can happen here as well, but for the most part, I think most people that use RCU are honest MODELERS. Of course you are dealing with other members of the modeling community, and it IS a small world here.

So... I for one am done buying anything off of ebay. But I would not hesitate to purchase through RCU.

I bought a OS 70 Surpass II here and it was just as described, AND I saved about $59.00 as well. Try that on ebay.