Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

5 cell batt. pack and reg. fm reciece?

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

5 cell batt. pack and reg. fm reciece?

Old 04-09-2002, 01:17 AM
gil-RCU
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 cell batt. pack and reg. fm reciece?

I'm setting up a H9 Edge. I'm not new to R/C but, this is the first time I'm using a 5 cell batt. pack. I'm doing this because I'm told that this will give me about 6 volts to run the 6 servos that are in the plane. 5 of the servos are 70 oz. torq. I do have a H/D switch. Is this all I need to do. Do I need anything else. Will my reciever handle the volts ok? Thanx for info. gil
Old 04-09-2002, 01:53 AM
Dazzler
My Feedback: (6)

You will be fine with the 6 volts, you didnt mention what kind of radio your using but I know JR, Futaba, and Hitec receivers, and servo's are all compatable with 6 volts. Daz...
Old 04-09-2002, 03:01 AM
gil-RCU
My Feedback: (-1)

Default Thanx Dazzler.

Yes it's a Futaba. Thanx for backing me up. gil
Old 04-09-2002, 01:16 PM
RLDIII
My Feedback: (1)

Your Futaba receiver should have it's own built in voltage regulator to drop down the voltage to it and will work fine on 6 volts. I fly Futaba, and JR both on 6 volt receicer packs with no problem. However, be advised that your SERVO's will see the full 6 volts unless you use an inline regulator. On MOST servos that I use, this is no problem, and MOST of them not only move faster, but they also produce more torque. That's the good news. The bad news is that a few servos are NOT recommeneded for 6 volts, and even a few that supposedly are, will buzz and get jittery when hooked up to 6 volt packs. I have also found that certain combinations of Futaba PCM receivers running servos on long leads with nosie traps will sometimes act erratically until the freshly charged voltage "spike" is off the 6 volt receiver pack. These are some of the reasons that some folks use an aftermarket voltage regulator between the 6 volt pack and the receiver...

However, in my case, I just check out each flight pack carefully on the ground, and do without the regulator, as I prefer to have the full benifit of the extra servo speed and torque!

Lee
Old 04-09-2002, 02:56 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5 cell = more than 6v

Just be aware that a 5 cell pack can be well over the 6v mark, so when you check with a manufacturer about their servos, gyros, etc being okay with 6v, you may want to rephrase the question and ask what the max voltage is that they can safely operate at.

As an example, the 5 cell RX pack in my Bobcat was normally sitting at about 6.6v after charge - then I cycled it and that boosted the peak voltage to 7.18v. This convinced me to install a regulator in my aircraft.

Also, bear in mind that higher voltage = higher current, so that you should expect to get less flying time out of a 5 cell pack than a 4 cell pack of the same mA rating (unless both are regulated to the same voltage).

Regards,
Gordon