The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Alibaba/AliExpress

Old 10-16-2010, 06:28 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Alibaba/AliExpress

I recently had an incomplete transaction with an online supplier named "Alibaba" and this company is in Mainland China. When you make a purchase you are directed to their other site called "AliExpress" to finalize the purchase process. "Alibaba" is a site where multiple suppliers advertise their wares and sell.

My first transaction was incomplete because the advertised APS .61M inboard nitro boat engine was not deliverable due to not being in stock. There is no way of knowing whether the item you are ordering is actually available. I decided to take a shot at it since the listing stated that the seller guarantees shipment in 5 days. 3 days after placing my order and paying with Paypal I was notified by the seller that they did not have stock and would I be willing to wait. I did not wish to wait so I canceled the order and immediately filed a claim with Paypal. Paypal got my refund within 12 hours but I never heard a peep from the seller.

My question is: have any of you done business with "Alibaba/AliExpress" and what was the outcome? My first experience was incomplete with very limited communication. I am disappointed because they have an item I would like to buy and their advertised prices are hard to beat on many great items. I would like to give them a second chance and buy from a different supplier through the AliExpress website but would like to hear from others and their own experiences pertaining to buying from them.

Customer says:"Your price is too high. I can buy the same item down the road for $20 but they are out."
Retailer says: "Well....when we are out they are only $1!"

Speedy
Old 10-17-2010, 04:36 PM
rmenke

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Alibaba/AliExpress

Speedy:

Did you place your order through E-bay? Would like to know cause am on the short end of the stick with a Iseral company who just can not see their way to ship the order or return my money.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:56 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My order was placed directly through alibaba.com which is in mainland China. I know it is confusing because of the story of Alibaba ( Persia/Bagdad). It is a story about a boy prince, raised by forty thieves, takes revenge on the Mongol invaders who murdered his father and stole his kingdom. Due to the website being of the same name it automatically raises some suspicions.

I just placed another order through "alibaba.com" ordering the same item but through a different supplier on the Alibaba website. This supplier and I spoke at length and I feel confident the purchase will be completed this time. Luckily I was able to CMA on my first attempt and Paypal settled my claim immediately. Now there are a lot of Paypal bashers out there too but, from my own experience, Paypal has always done me right. It is a world economy and buying direct from China for small quantity has become commom place these days. My first few overseas transactions were a bit scary but I have learned the "do's and don'ts" for buying overseas.

Take "Hobbyking" as an example. They have become a trusted source by many but are also bashed by a few with good reason. It just never hurts to ask questions. That is the reason for my posting this forum to get some idea of what others have experienced by doing business with "Alibaba/AliExpress"

If you made a purchase through eBay you should be able to recover your monies with documentation. With eBay and Paypal buyer protection you have a good chance of recovery. You should also have buyer protection through your CC company. I had some trouble with a Paypal claim on a eBay purchase and decided to file an appeal through my CC that was used through Paypal and SHAZAM!!! It was settled in a 24 hour period with no questions asked.

Hope this helps!
SPEEDY

Old 10-18-2010, 07:38 PM
rmenke

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Speedy: Looks like filing a complaint with Pay Pal may be worth the time. Last time I tried I could not get by the E-bay transaction number requirement. Hobby King has been good to me with over two years experience. There may be a catch, one of the europen owners has the same last name, but no relationship that I know of. ENJOY
Old 10-18-2010, 08:47 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you used your Paypal "Balance" your only recourse is through Paypal but if you used a CC through Paypal you have another course of getting a refund. Go directly to the CC associated with your Paypal account and call the customer support number on the back of your CC and file an appeal via phone. I think there is a time limit but it is worth a try.

SPEEDY
Old 10-20-2010, 05:59 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well.....live and learn my fellow modelers. Alibaba did me wrong once again and I might add...NEVER again! Thought I would CMA placing a second order with them through a different supplier. SOS!!! Got the vendor online and asked them PERSONALLY if the item I wanted was in stock. "YES in stock. We ship right away". 4 days later I contacted them because they advertise they ship in 3 days. "Sorry..we no in stock now!" ( that's chinese lingo )

I filed another dispute with Paypal to freeze payment. They ask you to not contact Paypal to resolve disputes.

Yeh...right!

NEVER AGAIN! ( Nie Weider!)

Search this Thread