Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

RCUniverse opens site for RC Surface Sailing

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

RCUniverse opens site for RC Surface Sailing

Old 07-30-2003, 05:00 PM
Waynelund

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCUniverse opens site for RC Surface Sailing

Believe it or not, there are people who actually sail on land and ice. Many of you have seen ice boats in action. Man-driven, speeds near or above 100 MPH. But there are four or five developers and manufacturers of RC surface sailing models now being made in the United States selling to a growing number of people who are in search of 'something different'.

There is a sponsoring organization, the IRCSSA (International Remote Control Surface Sailing Association) that publishes a list of classes for different size models, race rules, tracks speed records, and hold a regatta once or twice a year where people from all over the world may participate.

Some models are designed for speed, others for demolition derby type events, other to simulate the America's Cup sailing rules and even some that play soccer!

We invite you to stop by the new site here in RCUniverse - go to RC Cars, and drop down to the last option RC Sail Cars and write us a note. Tell us what you think about this exciting sport. Think of it - a model car propelled by wind alone getting up to two or three times the speed of the wind. A 12 MPH breeze could make a model go over 25 MPH if the trim is right, if the pilot is skilled, if the model is weighted just right. Great competition! Great to learn basic physics and sailing rules. Come join us!

Wayne
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	97740_41398.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	55861  
Old 07-30-2003, 05:13 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

WOW!
interesting?
will check that out!

Todd
Old 07-30-2003, 05:39 PM
scottrc

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, now I know what I can do with my trainer when the winds blowing too hard.

Take off the wing and attach a sail to it.
Old 07-30-2003, 05:55 PM
Waynelund

Some land sailing models use a cambered wing when the wind is beyond breeze. Put on some outriggers on your bird, if your wing does not have dihedral mount it upright and use rudder control to point it into the wind as your body is slightly up or down wind. Then move the wing just a tad to generate lift, tighten as you gain speed, and pretty soon you will have fabulous speed if you have enough room.

Ever squeeze a freshly caught fish? Your hand may move in a quarter of an inch but the fish flies forward seven inches and out of your hand. That's what happens with surface sailing when the sail and the wind and relative winds are in synch.

There is a man-carrying land yacht in England that comes out now and then for speed runs. I believe they have reached 112 MPH! From what I hear from the RC surface sailing people is top speed around 27 mph and everybody is trying to improve on that since the theoretical maximum speed is somewhere around five times wind speed. Most of this is just plain theory. There is a fellow back East that has done extensive research but I forget his name. I'll post it next time I see his material.

Wayne
Old 08-01-2003, 02:59 AM
Bill Korsgard

Default surface sailing

Hard surface sailing is alot of fun. It combines the speed of cars & planes with the fascination of being powered only by the wind. I've documented (GPS) a speed of 33 mph on ice & hope to break 40 mph. Check out more at:
http://www.iceboat.org/RCBoats/rc_boats.htm
Old 08-01-2003, 04:19 AM
tkigar
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wayne, have you ever been to El Mirage Dry Lake Bed, up here in the Southern California High Desert? They have an entire area of the lake bed set aside for land sailers. These are maned with what I call very crazy people reaching speeds of over 80 MPH, sitting just 6-8 inches off the ground, with wind that normally blows 25-30 MPH most every day of the week. What a RUSH !!!

Revver Brother #22 Tim
Old 08-01-2003, 06:50 AM
iatemydingo
My Feedback: (1)

wayne, do you fly r.c. also? if so where do you fly at?
Old 08-01-2003, 11:45 AM
Billiam411

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so basicly, you'd need a 1 ch radio (for steering)
Old 08-01-2003, 03:23 PM
Waynelund

Default one chanel, two chanel

Two chanels are pretty much standard. One servo for steering the other for sheeting in and out. The secret in any kind of sailing is to syncronize with apparent wind which means that the faster the 'vehicle' moves into the wind, the more the wind 'appears' to be in front of you even if you are going at an angle upwind. So sheeting in and out is the way to face the wind with maximum benefit.

Sometimes when I'm really lazy, I'll set my sail about halfway and just play with steering. As long as there is a nice steady breeze I can tack, jibe, go upwind, do loopty-loops and fool around because I have enough inertia to position the car into the wind for maximum effect. But if I'm competing and have to cover a specific course, it's pretty hard without sail control as well.

Wayne
Old 08-01-2003, 03:27 PM
Waynelund

Default El Mirage

Lyle and I have been intending a trip to El Mirage since hearing about it some time ago. We understand there is a strong SASSASS contingency ready to provide fun, laughs, thrills and the proper setting for Sunny Acres Sipping, Sailing and Soaring Sciety...