The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
34.21%
No
65.79%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Should moderators watch more closely for the same topic covered a dozen times?

Old 10-24-2010, 04:50 PM
Desertlakesflying

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Should moderators watch more closely for the same topic covered a dozen times?

The thread "An Incident with Lessons for All of Us" has been discussed on RCU in about 15 different places, yet this post keeps going. You can bring up two different pages and it looks like a copy and paste from the previous thread.

Threads of bashing Jet Joe where anyone who doesn't think they should be shut down are cursed at, flamed, degraded, and insulted are started every other week.

Threads bashing Fly Eagle Jet and the same thing that happens with Jet Joe...etc....etc

I know people have different questions and ideas, and many of the "know it all's" will come out of the wood work on this one bashing me and otherwise breaking RCU policies in the process.

But the a subject is a carbon copy of previous ones over and over and over like "An Incident with Lessons for All of Us" is just ridiculous.

Is everyone really that self righteous that something like this has to be reposted over and over in a dozen different new threads?
Old 10-24-2010, 05:14 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Should moderators watch more closely for the same topic covered a dozen times?

I touched briefly on this in the PM I sent you, but let me address your concerns here in this thread.

Are there threads in multiple forums on the same subject? Probably there are.

Is it wrong to have them this way? Yes.

Should the Moderators be aware of this? It's very difficult for them to do so.

RCU's Moderators are assigned forums that are their area of responsibility. We normally assign Moderators to areas that are part of what their interests are. As with most members on the forum, there are a limited number of forums that a Moderator will visit. For instance, a Moderator in the Warbirds Forum may never go into the 3D forum because that doesn't interest them. We have Community Moderators that back up the Moderators in dealing with issues, as well as being able to take actions in most all of the Forums on RCU. However, even they are human beings and can only cover so much ground. With this in mind it is entirely possible that there could be more than one thread on RCU that is discussing the same topic. Does that make it right? No, but that's the facts of the matter.

With this in mind we also rely on the members to keep an eye out for us. We have a report system where any member can report anything they think might be a problem. If you see multiple threads on a given topic it's very easy to report them and then it will be addressed by somebody who can resolve the issue. In fact, members watching the site and reporting problems is actually a big help for our Moderators. Many members want to help keep RCU a good community online and will help out by reporting problems on the site that they see.

Quote:
But the a subject is a carbon copy of previous ones over and over and over like "An Incident with Lessons for All of Us" is just ridiculous.
If you are referring to the thread in the AMA forum on this issue I can answer that question. Yes, it is reopening an old issue. And initially a thread of that topic was started in the AMA forum immediately after the incident happened, but I moved that thread out of the AMA forum because at that time it did not apply to the AMA nor was the AMA involved with the issue. However, I allowed this new thread to run because the AMA issued a statement on the incident in question, therefore the thread now applies to the AMA and can be discussed in the AMA forum. I will grant you that the thread may have digressed to where it is covering old ground. That would be on me as I didn't step in sooner and take actions to prevent that from happening. I do apologize for that, however I have had a stomach bug for most the of last week and haven't spent much time on RCU. I am playing catch up this weekend dealing with things that happened while I was down. I will apologize for that and will take appropriate actions in that thread.

Ken

Old 10-24-2010, 06:59 PM
JollyPopper

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Should moderators watch more closely for the same topic covered a dozen times?

In a perfect world, duplicated threads would be non-existant. But we live in the real world. Some of these things need to be brought up again and again. And sometimes a member can't immediately find an answer to his question via the search program, so he asks a question that has been answered many times. There's nothing wrong with that. To those who don't wish to read the answer for the 47th time, skip over the post. There is no rule saying anyone must read any certain thread.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:03 PM
Stripes

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've been on other forums on other subjects where the moderators were heavy handed about deleting "redundant" threads and it isn't all that pleasant to live with.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:06 AM
carrellh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Like Stripes, I have participated in forums where the moderators were heavy handed and never explained their actions. I like the RCU approach much better.

I use the "report" link when I notice identical threads in multiple forums, arguing/bashing, and sometimes when things just seem to be in the wrong forum. Sometimes the moderators take action and sometimes they do not. They always reply to the tickets so I know why they did or did not take action.

Carrell
Old 10-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Desertlakesflying

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ah, the two latest multiple thread topic.

What kind of oil and what ratio for gassers.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:47 AM
JNorton

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Cowboy - the oil threads provide comic relief. Least they are now. I've found it easier to ignore them.
John
Old 10-25-2010, 12:04 PM
MikeL

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's become a silly rule.  It's intended to prevent spamming.  When RCU was starting, it was a necessity.  It helped to funnel topics into the correct forum, which helped to drive participation in all of the forums.

Now that RCU has grown so large, the rule has lost its purpose.  RCKen is right in saying that many people stick strictly to the forums that interest them.  If a person follows the rule, they may miss out on valuable input.  If a moderator chases down each thread and closes them, ongoing discussions that may each have value are stopped.  It's not realistically possible for moderators to combine topics without creating confusion, and many RCU moderators lack the skills/motivation to do that even if it were possible.

The rule should change.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:06 AM
Rodney

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I can only say "Hurray for the moderators". I think they do a great job. I doubt if all realize the amount of time and effort they spend on this. I can not fault them at all, it is far preferable to have multiple posts than to have severe censorship.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:15 PM
rmenke

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Forums such as RCU do most of us a great deal of good sharing information and flat helping a fellow modeler with a problem you have experience with or solved. When it comes to someone bashing a product or dealer, I think we can almost all figure out someone on the excessive side.

If not on RCU, where can we get a little help or deserved payback. If a company takes your money, does not deliver the product and does not return your money, where can we go for a little help? To remove a valid complaint on RCU makes a moderator complicit in my view even though the complaint can be considered a violation or RCU rules by implication. I don't find anywhere in the rules that we can not report a thief?? I don't think thats the intent. Bashing a radio because you got a bad one or a airplane because you crashed it sort of thing I believe is the direction intended. If not, the forum becomes another form of media that puts income before decency or objectivity. This is a tough area of general business I know. Its something like being a magazine and reporting that some new product is wonderful where in fact its junk. Yes, buyer beware, but there should be some limits.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:39 PM
daveopam

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Being one of the newer mods I would say, please report them. Even if they are not spam. I have seen a good question asked in 2 or 3 forums at once by a new guy. The problem is,he is getting good information that is spread out in 2 or 3 forums. Later on when someone else has the same question, they may only find one of the original post. The post they find may not have the answer they need. From personal experience. I have taken the time to write a 15 minute answer to a question, only to see it ignored because it was answered by another member in another post. This was time wasted and it did not endear me to the original poster.
So please report them.

David
Old 10-27-2010, 08:12 AM
K-Bob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jeepers.

It seems to me that you have complete control over content with your index finger.No clickee, no see-ee

Search this Thread