Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Model Aviation magazine pushing electric airplanes down our throat! A RANT!!!

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Model Aviation magazine pushing electric airplanes down our throat! A RANT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 07:18 AM
kurt2022
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Model Aviation magazine pushing electric airplanes down our throat! A RANT!!!

I just looked in the Model Aviation magazine and they might as well call it the ELECTRIC Model aviation magazine, which is WORTHLESS to me and MOST others! Looks like the AMA is as poorly run as NASCAR! NASCAR, many years ago decided that they must EXPAND their horizons, so they started pulling events from small tracks in the south that were sellouts every year and built 1 1/2 mile cookie cutter, boring to watch, tracks all over the country and promoted NASCAR nationwide! What they did with their PC BS was to alienate their core fans from the south and once the nationwide fad started to die NASCAR'S fan base, track attendance and tv ratings began to and continue to drop! Where I'm from, there are some electrics, but the electric FAD is dying as fast as it rose. Don't the idiots at AMA see this or are they too isolated to grasp reality. The electric filled pile of rubbish they print is worthless to the majority of RC fliers but they are too stupid to see they are cutting their own throat! AMA, wake up before you end up like NASCAR!
Old 10-30-2010, 08:09 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Model Aviation magazine pushing electric airplanes down our throat! A RANT!!!

Like you, I am not an electric fan (pardon the pun). I work in a hobby shop, and while a lot of customers still buy wood and glue and engines and fuel. a lot also buy batteries, chargers, ESCs, connectors, etc. If I consider what the "majority" is, I'm not so sure it would be the non electrics. My personal preferences are the engine powered planes, and a considerable number of fliers do both electric and fuel. I may drag my butt into electrics with a powered glider one of these days, and I can see some justification for MA providing coverage for the electron side of the hobby.I think I can live with a quiet glider, but the usual electric plane fails to meet the minimum noise requirements, in my opinion.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:37 AM
outdoorhunting

Default RE: Model Aviation magazine pushing electric airplanes down our throat! A RANT!!!

It's a sad day when "our" AMA mag's most interesting story are some of the ads!! Next year, I think I won't pay the extra bucks for the "protective plastic wrapper" cause I don't read it any ways !! 75% of the time the mag lays on the end table for a few days & then goes into the recycle without ever getting opened !!.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:01 AM
SushiSeeker

I got back into this hobby after a 25 year sabbatical and the changes from "then" to "now" are significant.

In the mid-80's this was a modeling hobby. Now it seems you can buy ARF's cheaper than you can build from a kit. Electrics have followed a similar evolution. The early electrics were powered gliders and such, now we have 3d electrics. Park fliers mean that you can buy your kid a sub $100 plane and with the help from a sim, have a decent shot at a fun day in the park without rekitting your toy.

So where does a Mainstream magazine fit in? Do they continue to recycle the same tired articles about down-thrust angles and servo throws or do they focus on the trends in the hobby? I don't see it as a push but as riding the wave.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:16 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No, they are not pushing electrics, they are just reporting on what is the most popular trend. As electrics improve (which has been a constant and positive rate) a bigger percentage of all RCers are going electric whether one likes it or not. The magazine is really following the trend and giving a content that the majority of modelers want. I also like the glow and gasoline planes and still fly them but I can see the handwriting on the wall. Due to the improved quality, ease of maintenance, ease of clean up, lack of loud and often offensive noise, electrics are gaining in popularity. Rather than fight it, join the group and enjoy.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:24 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Follow the money.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:52 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2 years ago, I thought the same thing about electrics. I wanted REAL model airplanes. Now I have no gas or glow models. All have been converted to electric, including my giant scale models. My hobby is so much more enjoyable, and hassle free. The learning curve was steep, but with all the help and info on RCU, and RC Groups, I overcame the obstacles. I no longer need to find fuel-proof paint. I no longer need to find good quality oil for my gassers. I no longer need to buy $20+ per gallon glow fuel. I no longer need to de-fuel and wipe down my models after a day of flying. I no longer have the smell of gas or fuel in my shop or van. I no longer.....................
You get my drift.
I was at one time one of the most vocal against electric, but now I am mellow.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:28 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

I saw a Kraft radio on Ebay you guys should look into since you don't see Nascar on TV much anymore because they ruined it.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:21 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

The anger here is amazing.  I can't fathom getting angry about any of this.  If you don't like it, don't read it.  But don't kill yourself over something so petty.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:28 AM
macdona

The electrics are a big deal, and the magazines print a lot about them, but, if the rest of the country is like around here, they do not belong to AMA and they fly every where but at our club field.
I am impressed with the electric, but have no intention of joining the movement. I also do not like the magazine printing that much about the electric planes. Mac
Old 10-30-2010, 11:46 AM
NitroWoman

I have nothing against electrics but I think my name tells where my heart is.[8D] Maybe next time I'm by a full size airport and see electric planes with people in them I'll change my name to ElectronWoman.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:25 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I miss North Wilkesboro, The Rock, and Hickory speedways. Don't really care about Vegas, Miami or even Tx for that matter.
But I do fly me a lekkie once in a while.

Nitro Woman, you still racing Q500?[8D]
Old 10-30-2010, 12:35 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

I have gas, nitro, and electric airplanes. I haven't flown any of the gas or nitro airplanes in two years.
My daughter likes it because she says I don't smell like gasoline anymore.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:03 PM
eddieC

In response to market research, NASCAR will be switched to all-hybrids by 2013. Sponsors will be makers of granola, yogurt, feminine hygiene products (no offense NW) and wind farms.

I agree the heavy focus on electrics can be annoying. I also have gas, nitro and electrics. You just can't beat the fun of a loud, low inverted pass, or building a kit on a long winter's day. Electrics have driven significant change in the hobby, I just hope we will always have nitro and dope & fabric to keep us tied to our roots.
[8D]

Ed
Old 10-30-2010, 03:34 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just because it is electric does not mean you can not build or design your own. Nothing stops one from even designing their own so build ,design, cover, paint or whatever to your hearts content.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:47 PM
MikeL

ORIGINAL: NitroWoman

I have nothing against electrics but I think my name tells where my heart is.[8D] Maybe next time I'm by a full size airport and see electric planes with people in them I'll change my name to ElectronWoman.
I can't recall the last full scale I saw that was powered by glow fuel. Can you think of any?

I remember when they introduced the forward pass to football. Totally ruined the game.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:27 PM
BasinBum

You'll have to pry that knobby radio and Kaos from my cold dead hands.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:34 PM
Wingdinger2

Ahh, come on. I like glow because of the noise, the tinkering, even wiping 'em down, BUT, I fly electric more because they're so easy and quick to prepare for flight. In the evenings, just grab 'em and go, save the glow fuel for special occasions.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:37 PM
SteveW
My Feedback: (36)

NitroWoman,
Look here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWoLsJz8J5U

Just like the first electric models, this is just the beginning!
Old 10-30-2010, 05:41 PM
vicman

I dont' hear you guys whining about bringing back 1/2a.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:25 PM
tryingagain

It all boils down to personal preference doesn't it? I personally do not fly electrics. It is not that I don't like them, I simply enjoy the smell of burning Nitro. I love a good smoke trail and with electrics a smoke trail is usually not a good sign.
Do I see myself owning an electric plane someday? Perhaps, but it will never replace IC for me. All this is a personal preference! To be honest the only thing that bugs me about electrics is the over zealous converts at the club and on this site that hail it as the future of R/C aircraft and anyone not on board is a dinosaur or mentally challenged. If you like them, Fly Them! But please leave us slimers alone to enjoy this great hobby in the way that makes us happy. To be fair most of the electric flyers I have met are more than happy to share the sky with us and that works both ways!

Cheers

Gord
Old 10-30-2010, 06:51 PM
red head

We do DIE hard don't we ???? ENJOY !!! RED
Old 10-30-2010, 08:21 PM
oliveDrab

Electric airplanes are a blast. You can do absolutely ANYTHING with an electric plane you can do with a glow or gas plane.........but it's cleaner, quieter, more reliable, and more FUN imho. I've electrified 4 of my former glow-fueled 60-size planes, and my goal is to raise enough cash to buy a BVM Bandit or Electra electric ducted fan (EDF) jet. ( No bucks, no Buck Rogers ).

To all of you stubborn, die-hard glow fuel knuckleheads: Try electrifying a 60-sized plane, go fly it, and see if you can avoid grinning ear-to-ear.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:35 PM
NitroWoman

ORIGINAL: vicman

I miss North Wilkesboro, The Rock, and Hickory speedways. Don't really care about Vegas, Miami or even Tx for that matter.
But I do fly me a lekkie once in a while.

Nitro Woman, you still racing Q500?[8D]
Pylon and Combat have pretty much died where I'm at and I don't think electric pylon or combat will bring them back. Yes, I read the article about electric pylon. No, it didn't impress me. Cute planes though. Like I said before, I have nothing against electric. They just don't have any Pizzaz for me. If I want quiet, I'll curl up with a good book in my easy chair. And, If I electrified a perfectly good .60 size airplane then I would be a Knucklehead.[:-]
Old 10-30-2010, 08:40 PM
vicman

I was just wondering if we would cross paths now that I've been racing 424 and started 428.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.