Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Homeland Security Act

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 02:42 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homeland Security Act

Originally posted by BasinBum
Tom M, Your right they could tap my phone same as yours because of homeland security. It has nothing to do with my license and therefore not a valid argument when it comes to restricting sales of model rocket propellents. Don't get me wrong, the Patriot Act was a huge blow to civil rights but I understand why they want to keep tabs on explosives and who's buying them. The parts that give them power to tap phones I don't agree with.

Regarding the field being closed because of Homeland Security. Where did you here that was the reason? Is this a field rumor or are you a club official who met with the city? We lost a field in Long Beach, CA because someone flew into the Goodyear blimp that would park nearby. That was several years before 9/11.
Since I haven't personnaly read through the thing, do you happen to know if you need to be licensed to purchase cans of black powder for reloading ammo? (I don't happen to do this, but it is an explosive) Last I heard you didn't, but that may have also changed in the act.
Old 08-02-2003, 02:49 AM
DENNIS C
My Feedback: (99)

Regarding the field being closed because of Homeland Security. Where did you here that was the reason? Is this a field rumor or are you a club official who met with the city? We lost a field in Long Beach, CA because someone flew into the Goodyear blimp that would park nearby. That was several years before 9/11.
Buddy i wish it was Rumor. but i got the info from a good friend of mine that is a member at this club.
Old 08-02-2003, 02:51 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Originally posted by P-51B
Well stated.
I read an article about a 15 year old who can't buy rocket motors but I can't find the article....that's not very well stated or a legitimate argument. 15 year olds should not be able to buy rocket motors Homeland Security or not.

I would still like to hear from someone who is having a hard time participating in model rocketry.

I agree that the Patriot act was a knee jerk reaction and some parts need to be better thought out... I just don't know that the one being discussed here is one of those parts.
Old 08-02-2003, 02:53 AM
P-51B

Bodyman, based on your location I was also wondering if they were sure it was a factory, and not somthing else.
Old 08-02-2003, 02:54 AM
BasinBum

Originally posted by bodymann
Buddy i wish it was Rumor. but i got the info from a good friend of mine that is a member at this club.
Sorry Dennis but, to me that's the rumormill.
Old 08-02-2003, 02:56 AM
DENNIS C

Bodyman, based on your location I was also wondering if they were sure it was a factory, and not somthing else.
No it was a factory
Old 08-02-2003, 02:57 AM
DENNIS C

Sorry Dennis but, to me that's the rumormill.
I'll see if i can get some more info from my friend
Old 08-02-2003, 02:58 AM
P-51B

15 year olds should not be able to buy rocket motors Homeland Security or not.

Gotta disagree with that one. I was building model rockets, and buying the engines for them when I was around 8 or 9.

Ever seen October Skies based on the book "The Rocket Boys"?

I believe that if more young kids were encouraged in these, and other thought provoking activities, the current trend of "dumbing down" wouldn't be arguable, and kids wouldn't be so inclined towards drugs and other bad behaviour.
Old 08-02-2003, 03:13 AM
BasinBum

P-51, I used to buy them when I was a kid also, then we'd see how many we could strap together or what other damage we could do with them. I'd also mix gunpowder in my basement from stuff I bought at the drugstore and my chemistry set. It's no wonder I do what I do for a living.

Maybe a parent should be supervising when kids shoot off thier rockets. If I owned a hobby store these days I wouldn't sell rocket motors to minors. I think that is a recipe for a lawsuit.
Old 08-02-2003, 03:19 AM
P-51B

I'd also mix gunpowder in my basement from stuff I bought at the drugstore and my chemistry set. It's no wonder I do what I do for a living.
LOL, sort of...sounds like a chemist I met, but he screwed up and lost some fingers as a kid. I was surprised he still became a chemist. Hope all of your digits are intact.
Old 08-02-2003, 03:26 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

I read an article about a 15 year old who can't buy rocket motors but I can't find the article....that's not very well stated or a legitimate argument. 15 year olds should not be able to buy rocket motors Homeland Security or not.
Ah, you're right. I screwed up. The kid is 16, not 15. If you'd like to read the article and hear from someone who's having a hard time participating in their hobby due to the legislation in the Safe Explosives Act, you'll have to pay $1.95 for the privellege. I'm not paying it for you, but here's the portion you can see for free:

Laws may ground model rocketeers
Permits would be required; some say costs would soar

Published on June 16, 2003
By Andrew Pritchard
Staff Writer___
Sixteen-year-old Ellison Lenz of Roseville has been building model rockets for almost 10 years. But he is worried that new federal regulations will send the hobby's cost sky-high - too high for him to keep doing it.
``I wouldn't be able to afford to launch anything anymore, not anything really big,'' he said.
The new regulations have drawn national attention and have prompted a bill cosponsored by Sen. Norm Coleman, R-Minn., that would exempt Lenz
Do you really think all this talk of rocket restrictions is BS? Do yourself a favor and research it a bit. Don't assume that because the bill passed that it has everyone's best interests at heart. I'm all in favor of taking sensible measures to confront possible threats. I wouldn't expect my representatives to fully understand our hobby, and I have no reason to believe that they fully understood model rocketry before they took steps to restrict it. I'm fully in favor of informed, responsible legislation. Aren't you?
Old 08-02-2003, 03:46 AM
TomM

Since I haven't personnaly read through the thing, do you happen to know if you need to be licensed to purchase cans of black powder for reloading ammo? (I don't happen to do this, but it is an explosive) Last I heard you didn't, but that may have also changed in the act.
In Pennsylvania there's no license needed. I'm assuming no federal law has infected the rest of the country.
The bad news is I can't buy grain alcohol anymore.......there goes my Christmas tonic.
Old 08-02-2003, 03:51 AM
BasinBum

Mike,
You want me to research it? I don't think Ellison Lenz or Andrew Pritchard did any research. He's "worried he won't be able to continue"....there is nothing factual about that at all. I'm sure the reporter is more interested in the human nature aspect of the story as opposed to the facts.

Please someone tell me how they can't participate in model rocketry because of the new regulations.

I don't have to do research to prove your point. I am just pointing out that nothing presented in this thread is factual or leads me to believe that model rocketry or RC is in danger from lawmakers.

I also think if i didn't say this thread was not appropriate you would have closed it down already but you seem to like to take an opposing view from mine.
Old 08-02-2003, 04:00 AM
TomM

http://www.space-rockets.com/arsanews.html
Old 08-02-2003, 04:15 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

I don't have to do research to prove your point. I am just pointing out that nothing presented in this thread is factual or leads me to believe that model rocketry or RC is in danger from lawmakers.
I'm not suggesting that you research to prove my point. Learning is a reward in and of itself. That's an excerpt from the whole article. The rest of it discussed the impact of the legislation, and why Coleman was hoping to change it. Check out the rocketry forums if you'd like to see what they have to say about it.

I also think if i didn't say this thread was not appropriate you would have closed it down already but you seem to like to take an opposing view from mine.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but your opinion either way doesn't influence how I moderate. Which side of an issue you're on doesn't play a role in how I view the issue. I have a recollection of nuking a post of yours, and having a PM exchange with you about another post. It would seem I've left a much larger impression upon you than you've left upon me. I'm not biased towards you in any way, and I'm sorry if I've given you that impression.
Old 08-02-2003, 06:27 AM
ctdahle

I am only typing this because I can do it while I am sitting here rocking a sick but sleeping baby. He is more important than any of you

No matter what I say Basin Bum, you won't be impressed, but in courtesy to everyone else...

Note that on some of the information below, I am going from memory because it is the middle of the night. If I mention an incorrect motor size or weight in grams, or mis-state a particular detail of the rules and regulations, well, I'm sure you can nit pick it to death, but the mistakes, if any are de minimus non curat lex.

Model rocketry is, and has been thoroughly regulated by the FAA for years. In essence, small, lightweight rockets can be flown below 1000 feet. Larger or heavier ones require FAA flight clearances. As the size and altitude target increases, the regulations get more stringent and the flight clearances get harder to obtain. Violators get prosecuted.

The present regulations have been worked out carefully, thoughtfully and cooperatively by the FAA, the NAR, and the Tripoli Rocketry Association ("TRA") over the past 40 years. They are a set of regulations that work, and that meet the reasonable safety concerns of the government, parents, hobbiests, the industry, educators, and the National Fire Protection Association.

Further, the industry regulates itself. They know that they are dealing with a hobby that can be percieved as dangerous, and they bend over backward to keep the participants, spectators and the general public safe.

The design and labling of all rocket motors is tightly controlled by the NAR and TRA, which periodically test and recertify, or even decertify motors that fail thrust or safety testing. Engines that have lost their certification cannot be sold. The industry enforces this and it works.

The sale of all rocket motors to children under 14 is prohibited by the industry rules. The industry enforces this and it works. (yeah, well kids manage to buy liquor too. That doesn't mean the regulation doesn't work)

The sale of larger motors larger than C is similarly prohibited to children under 18, though they may be used with adult supervision. The industry enforces this and it works.

Somewhere around G or H size, only those who have passed a NAR certification test and DEMONSTRATED safe practices can buy the motors. Again, the industry enforces this and it works. (and it really does, the industry maintains a database of certified buyers and dealers who fail to consult the list don't get any more product)

As the motors get larger, the certification requirements get more and more strict. And these rules are efficiently run by the industry in a way that has minimum fiscal impact on the consumer or the taxpayer.

All in all the regulatory scheme as it existed before the HSA, a combination of self regulation and FAA oversight, was one of the few examples of how government regulation, developed in harmony with consumers and private enterprise, can and ought to work for the benefit of the governed.

Now, under the HSA, an entirely different bureacracy, BATFE, with no history in the hobby, and no knowledge of the technology is charged with stepping in to re-regulate the industry, and they have done so without bothering to examine the issues, understand the industry, or consult with the affected consumers.

They have demonstrated thier heavy handed approach by establishing storage and licensing requirements that treat model rocket motors larger than about F as deadly explosives, despite the fact that the 40 year history of commercial model rocket motors proves otherwise.

Senator Enzi proposes to eliminate a bad and expensive plan to regulate an industry that has worked cooperatively and safely with the FAA, NASA, and Schools for years and has led thousands of children into careers in science and math. He amde a good star int eh spring as some of you point out. But now, Senators Lautenberg and Schumer, seeing a chance to grab headlines, are claiming that Enzi's proposal is a green light for terrorism, and trying to kill it.

Gotta Go, The baby is stirring.

Good night.
Old 08-02-2003, 02:43 PM
BasinBum

CTDahle,
My experience so far with the ATF has not been that bad. We had a problem with storage magazine requirements also and they found a way around the regulations that was safe and worked for those involved. There was a real effort to work with us instead of against us as they realized the knee-jerk nature of the May 24 regulation changes. They were not given more inspectors to deal with the new regulations and were trying to figure out all the new regulations as were we.

The other problem you guys have is airfreight carriers and rocket motors which I think might have already been worked out.

We all know how our lives changed post 9/11 and tighter controls on potential explosive items are an inevitability. Does that mean RC airplanes are next, I don't think so. Is the FBI looking at lists of hobby store customers for possible Al-Kahda(sp?) connections, probably.

So those of you who are so inclined, write your senator in an effort to keep us off that slippery slope of government regulations. As for me, I'll think about it a bit more but I know I've said more than my fare share in this thread already.
Old 08-02-2003, 02:56 PM
P-51B

Just so you are aware, there was an article in the Washington post about two months ago about the fact that the FBI IS looking into the threat of RC aircraft and availability of over-the-counter products.

The article was after this story, which has brought the attention to our little hobby;

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,79450,00.html
Old 08-02-2003, 05:19 PM
ctdahle

Basin Bum, your point is well taken. I actually have done more than write my congressman, I've discussed it with him. I hope others will soberly and calmly do the same.

I am also quite confident that ATF will do a professional job. However, it seems to me that ATF has bigger fish to fry. Congress should not be directing ATF to waste already scarce resources on rocket hobbiests when there are real threats out there, nor should consumers, in a time of economic stress, be compelled to make un-necessary expenditures in order to continue to participate in leisure time activities.

P51- For reasons Basin Bum has pointed out, I am not especially comfortable discussing or debating how model planes or rockets can or cannot be weaponized. While I don't believe it possible, I'd rather not give anyone any ideas.

To the rest, this has been an interesting and useful discussion.

Cheers,
Old 08-03-2003, 06:39 PM
P-51B

Just passing on a link to a very public story. No further discussion.

I'd say this thread has run its course. See ya on other threads!
Old 08-04-2003, 02:40 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Christopher's last thread explains our argument well. The present legislation is redundant and will place a larger burden on the DOHS. There is already an infrastructure in place that allows the FBI, ATF, or any other agency to track an monitor the actions of rocketeers.

But, the problem is Bureaucracy. No department wants to work with another, 9/11 would not have happened if the FBI worked harder with the NIS. To prevent this, the government decided to create one agency that would take care of all our problems. Thus, redundant laws and legislation.
Old 08-04-2003, 03:16 PM
Trombe
My Feedback: (1)

Default Its these rockets...

These are the rockets that are killing the hobby
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	99022_17491.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	56030  
Old 08-04-2003, 03:40 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Its these rockets...

Originally posted by MasterSmasher
These are the rockets that are killing the hobby
Naw, just a couple of guys who like to go bigger. Should we say then that 1/4 scale turbines and 3/4 scale planes are killing RC flying?

I have to admit, having a rocket that big would get a little attention from the neighbors and the local sheriff, so a terrorist would not like it, but it does look cool mounted on top of a VW.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:17 PM
ctdahle

Even that big, they don't have much payload capacity. They are just built to fly high. If you load them down with the idea of trading altitude for payload, they can't accellerate fast enough to attain aerodynamic stability before they leave the pad. Also, it takes months of preparation to fly them, and only a few hundred people that are able to meet the technical skills certification requirements in order to buy motors that big.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:27 PM
Trombe
My Feedback: (1)

Originally posted by ctdahle
Even that big, they don't have much payload capacity. They are just built to fly high. If you load them down with the idea of trading altitude for payload, they can't accellerate fast enough to attain aerodynamic stability before they leave the pad. Also, it takes months of preparation to fly them, and only a few hundred people that are able to meet the technical skills certification requirements in order to buy motors that big.
Your right, all they do is go high and SCARE THE LOCALS!!! have you ever been to a meet where the lauch of one of these suckers didnt go quit right?

Anyway, I really enjoy both hobbies and would very much hate to put my rockets in storage. :angry:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.