Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

pushrod help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 07:44 PM
wendy-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pushrod help!

Hi List,

I am brand new to the list as well as RC planes. I have been attempting to assemble a Great Planes PT 40.

Everything has been going great, up until the pushrod assembly. My pushrods look like a preschooler has been working on them. I can't seem to bend the rods to match the diagram in the instructions. I have bought two different Z bend tools, which work great, but they don't help with the 90 degree bends that I need to make to duplicate the diagram.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I am frustrated...LOL

Thanks,

Wendy
Old 08-02-2003, 08:47 PM
Highlander

Default pushrod help!

Wendy

Firdt you will get more assistance in either the beginner forum or the kit building forum,

But its ok, I will try and answer you question, first off , if your talking about the 90 degree bend to go thru the push rod, it doesnt have to be perfect, make it a little long and then once its thru the rod and the rod is laid in the groove , cut the part that protrudes thru the otherside off,

if you want it to be very square at the bend a hobby vise or a good tight squeeze on a pair of pliers is what I do,

Highlander
Old 08-02-2003, 10:04 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default pushrod help!

Ditto, and they don't have to be perfect.
Old 08-02-2003, 11:02 PM
jettstarblue

Default pushrod help!

Wendy, Welcome.

Here's my method- bend one 90 degree bend, about 3/16'' to 1/4", or about 5-6 mm long, any direction, just bend it. Then, using a pair of needle nose pliers, make a second bend fairly close to the first, about 3-5 mm, but in the oppisite direction, or close to it. Now use your pliers to straighten out the "Z" bend so it looks like the diagram. Snip off any extra when you are done.
Let me know if this helps. If it's not to clear, I'll whip up some pictures.

Jetts
Old 08-03-2003, 02:52 AM
Nik
My Feedback: (12)

Default pushrod help!

Tese tools should make the 90 degree angle on your pushrod:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...er&FVPROFIL=++

-Nik
Old 08-03-2003, 01:22 PM
wendy-RCU

Default pushrod help!

Dear List,

Thanks so much for the good advice! I am going to try out the technique described, but I think I will also order the vice and wire bender from tower.

I am having a fantastic time with the plane, but this one part of assembly has been more than a bit frustrating.

Thanks again so much!

Wendy
Old 08-03-2003, 04:41 PM
jettstarblue

Default pushrod help!

Wendy,
Great! Good that you are having fun. You may never be the same after this.
Definately get the tools, you can never have to many tools!!!!!
I built two of these planes (they were the Kit version) one for my Dad, and one for a friend to learn on. They were goodmflying planes and held up well. Don't know if they givew you the choice with the ARF version, but if they do, go with the flatter wing. (less dihedral, or "V") You'll be glad you did.

Jetts