Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Thinking of importing to the US? Read this.

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Thinking of importing to the US? Read this.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:12 AM
David Bathe

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Thinking of importing to the US? Read this.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) continues to tighten the noose of tyranny around the collective neck of America with a recent announcement from the Japan Post Services Co. (JPSC), the Japanese postal service, that no more airmail packages over one pound will be permitted for shipment into the U.S. Coming at the request of U.S. aviation authorities, the rule applies to everyone except for large corporate mailers which are exempt.

According toThe Japan Times, the ruling affects 15 percent of the mail processed by JPSC, or roughly 200,000 packages a month. The company press release also indicates that the Japanese equivalents of FedEx and UPS have also followed suit, which means that the only way left to send packages over one pound in weight fromJapanto the U.S. is via ship freight.

“Following a terrorist incident at the end of October in which bombs were planted in packages bound by air for Chicago, the U.S. government has notified airlines that it would be strengthening its requirements for shipment of packages by air,” says a report in the Japanese newspaperMainichi. “Due to a strong fear that shipments of packages would be limited, Japan Post Holdings’ JP Post announced on November 12 that it would suspend acceptance of some airmail packages bound for the United States.”

But the rules do not apply only to Japan. Apparently, the U.S. Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has requested that no foreign country be permitted to send air packages weighing over a pound into the U.S. because of perceived security threats, unless the postal carriers follow strict and tedious new screening rules to verify sender and receiver.

But such rules are so cumbersome and difficult to abide by that many carriers are simply suspending shipments of all such packages. And some commentators believe this is precisely what the TSA had in mind when it created the new rules, since it adds even further to the “security theater” and terror-scare currently taking place in the U.S.

Yikes!

Old 12-07-2010, 10:51 AM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thinking of importing to the US? Read this.

I THINK IT'S GREAT!! It's not a bad thing as some might think. It forces us to buy in the US and support our US merchants. I know I'm going to get alot of flack over that statement. But the way things are going in this country, I feel if you don't support your homeland (and homeland means "Where you live"), then you should leave and go live in a country you would rather support.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:02 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

It doesn't sound as if these are regulations that have been put in place already. Just that one agency is lobbying for them.

Would it move manufacturing to the US? Only if the costs were cheaper. Air mail isn't the way most goods are imported.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:44 PM
warningshot

ORIGINAL: MikeL

It doesn't sound as if these are regulations that have been put in place already. Just that one agency is lobbying for them.

Would it move manufacturing to the US? Only if the costs were cheaper. Air mail isn't the way most goods are imported.
And it will not force me to use a LHS. Mine is over a hundred miles away.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:15 PM
rcairflr
My Feedback: (44)

ORIGINAL: tacx

I THINK IT'S GREAT!! It's not a bad thing as some might think. It forces us to buy in the US and support our US merchants. I know I'm going to get alot of flack over that statement. But the way things are going in this country, I feel if you don't support your homeland (and homeland means ''Where you live''), then you should leave and go live in a country you would rather support.

That is a ridiculous statement. It will have no effect on imports.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:00 PM
chunkyplunker

Even when you are supporting your local hobby shop the merchandise is still imported, just with a big profit margin, sometimes 5 times the original price.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:15 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

If this issue comes to fruition it wouldn't seem to make any difference unless you specifically order from outside the US, and request shipment via airmail, which in itself already is outrageous... other then that, everything comes over on ships... and I wouldn't know why anyone would want to order outside the US anyway... and to do so, one has to know the foreign markets very well... but for the average modeler in the US it shouldn't effect things to much at all.. I would think.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:02 PM
rcairflr
My Feedback: (44)

In the area I live, it seems like the gas and glow flyers buy almost everything in the US. The electric guys buy a lot of their stuff from HobbyCity. So this may affect them.