Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Flying Sites in Central Texas

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Flying Sites in Central Texas

Old 12-09-2010, 08:47 AM
jim_franks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying Sites in Central Texas

I have been flying RC in Central Texas (Temple) for a few years now. Looking to branch out and fly at other places than my current club field. Willing to join a club if need be. Or looking for a place to just fly with no club politics.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:55 PM
delman

Default RE: Flying Sites in Central Texas

I visited a club field just north of Georgetown, Tx.

http://find.mapmuse.com/details/rc-a...-modelers-assn

This site gives some info for contact.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:20 AM
jim_franks

They are one of the clubs I have concidered looking at. I'd rather find a flying site that is not affilicalited with AMA. This not a bash against AMA in the least. The two club fields close to me are very nice, but have issues (in my opinion) to flying.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:55 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not all AMA clubs are like that. They have there ups and down. There are four around the Austin area, all AMA, all good and friendly. Just my opinion. The one in Georgetown (GAMA) that you already know about, theres one in Round Rock (LoneStar) at Old Settlers Park on 79 east of I35, ARCA (my home club) on decker ln by the Exposition center, and HCAM on slaughter ln west of I35. ARCA has a paved runway (575'x50')and flys jets and is on Travis county park land. Georgetown has a petromat runway thats like flying off cushioned linoleum (600'x60') and 100 acres of crops around it. HCAM is paved also but has a smaller flight box from development, but is ideal for electrics, combat flying and such. Very active club. Lonestar has a grass runway and is in a pretty nice park. There used to be a non-AMA club near Lockhart. But hwy 20 runs fairly close to the end of their runway. They seemed to deal with it ok. The other end of the runway had a barbed wire fence hazard and low cedars you have to watch out for.
Edwin
Old 12-10-2010, 06:59 AM
Edwin

Not all AMA clubs are like that. They have there ups and down. There are four around the Austin area, all AMA, all good and friendly. Just my opinion. The one in Georgetown (GAMA) that you already know about, theres one in Round Rock (LoneStar) at Old Settlers Park on 79 east of I35, ARCA (my home club) on decker ln by the Exposition center, and HCAM on slaughter ln west of I35. ARCA has a paved runway (575'x50')and flys jets and is on Travis county park land. Georgetown has a petromat runway thats like flying off cushioned linoleum (600'x60') and 100 acres of crops around it. HCAM is paved also but has a smaller flight box from development, but is ideal for electrics, combat flying and such. Very active club. Lonestar has a grass runway and is in a pretty nice park. There used to be a non-AMA club near Lockhart. But hwy 20 runs fairly close to the end of their runway. They seemed to deal with it ok. The other end of the runway had a barbed wire fence hazard and low cedars you have to watch out for.
http://www.gamarc.org/
http://www.austinrc.org/
http://www.lonestaraeronuts.org/
http://www.hcamonline.org/
Edwin
Old 12-10-2010, 07:54 AM
jim_franks

Thanks for your assment I'm looking for just that information. I'm in the process of gathering a list of clubs in the area to visit this weekend. I love my current field, but feel its time to move on and fly other places. Most clubs accept associate members which is a plus. ARCA looks very good to me do you have any grass runways? I plan on checking it out this weekend.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:02 AM
Edwin

Sure, come on by! We have a "sorta" grass runway next to the paved. We plowed then rolled it as flat as we could get it last year. Our problem is we have no water. We use a water tank for events. The dirt is black clay gumbo that creates big wide cracks in the dry season. I've seen guys drop keys down these cracks and have to use coat hangers to retreive them. If you have big wheels, its not a problem.
Edwin
Old 12-10-2010, 08:09 AM
Edwin

Forgot one, Highland Lakes Flyers http://highlandlakesflyers.org/ . They are out by Kingsland just south of Lake Buchanon. I've only visited that site.
Edwin
Old 12-10-2010, 08:52 AM
modeltronics
My Feedback: (27)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I will be moved to my private field between Brownwood and Abilene near Cross Plains next year. If you want to stop by to do some flying I will even provide the beers and grill hot dogs for after flying.

Happy Holidays
Pete
Old 12-10-2010, 10:29 AM
jim_franks

Thanks for all the imput I got something to do this weekend in Austin and will vist all these fields. Thank you for the invite modeltronics sounds like fun. See you are from Horizon City, did some flying there at the field while going to school at Ft Bliss. Plan on looking north week end after for fields to fly.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:40 AM
jp_boud

Pete, that sounds like my kind of field, too bad it's only 6 hours away or I'd even bring th beers. Too bad my planes hate traveling, it's all I can do to keep them from getting into a fight driving 7 miles to my field!