Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

R/C pilots please don't do Lasik!

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

R/C pilots please don't do Lasik!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 08:44 PM
fly3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R/C pilots please don't do Lasik!

Hi

In this hobby we need good vision, many people are happy with lasik, and have 20/20, but that doenst mean perfect vision.
If you are considering lasik, read everything you can, there's no urgency to do it, so make sure you understand the worst that can happen to your eyes and you can live with the worst.

MUST-SEE
Is Lasik surgery safe? What do you think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZhOt2ka91Y

best
fly3

Note: I had to stop flying r/c after Lasik

Old 03-23-2010, 08:56 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: R/C pilots please don't do Lasik!

Maybe I need Lasik, I can't read the print. My ex-brother-in-law is a eye doctor and a few years ago he said he was going to wait at least 15 years before having the surgery himself. He wanted to wait and see the long term results
Old 03-23-2010, 09:03 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend's daughter got Lasik surgery for cosmetic reasons. Now, not only does she have to have reading glasses, but her eyes are dry all the time, and she gets an odd glare from sunlight now.

A guy I work with had good luck for a couple years, but with age he found he has to have glasses for both distance and reading, now.

These have convinced me I don't want the surgery. Just my opinion,
Dave Olson
Old 03-24-2010, 05:23 AM
tommygun32

I had lazik as well.

My eyes are constantly dry and i have to keep a ready supply of refresh with me.

I'm sensitive to bright light as well now. Always wear my sun glasses outside.

And in low light levels or even around dusk, I can't drive my car on the track cause I can't see where the wheels are pointed. Forget night racing unless the track is lit up like the sun.

If I'd have known all this, I would have just carried on wearing glasses cause i had no problems with night vision prviously.

Oh....and the pain. It effects people differently. Some don't have any, some it's just slight, but for me....well, imagine you head is filled with about a dozen kittens all trying to claw their way out of your skull through your eye balls while your eyes are filled with sand. [:@]
Old 03-24-2010, 06:50 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

I had it done almost a year and a half ago. If I were to do it over, I wouldn't have done it either.

Although they got me to 20/30 vision, its still not good enough to race without glasses.

Looking at doing an enhancement, but my eyes have been so dry and sore since this was done that I'm not sure I want to risk it. After going back for months, and series after series of restasis and other tearing drops, they finally said they couldn't do anything else for me.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:34 AM
playntraffic

ORIGINAL: fly3

Hi

In this hobby we need good vision, many people are happy with lasik, and have 20/20, but that doenst mean perfect vision.
If you are considering lasik, read everything you can, there's no urgency to do it, so make sure you understand the worst that can happen to your eyes and you can live with the worst.

MUST-SEE

http://<span style=''font-family: Ta...</span></span>

best
fly3

Note: I had to stop flying r/c after Lasik

Looks like Spam, even with my thick glasses.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:52 AM
KW_Counter

I think wearing glasses looks cool.
Plus, my vision ain't that bad.
So no one is touching these things unless it's critical - cataracts.
Bed eye site is better than poor or none.
Just my opinion for over 20 years,
KW_Counter
Old 03-24-2010, 10:00 AM
carrellh

Didn't watch the video.
I started wearing glasses when I was 12, will be 50 in less than a month. I do not "like" wearing glasses, but, I agree with KW. No surgery of any kind for me unless it is necessary.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:40 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: playntraffic

Looks like Spam, even with my thick glasses.
+1, Admin,, boot this guy
Old 03-24-2010, 12:06 PM
fly3

This is not spam!
I would like others to know what can happen when they do lasik, becouse lasik md will not tell you the other side of the story.
I have very bad vision after lasik surgery, that cant be correct with glasses or contacts. Surgery will not work to.
Whatch the movie, it shows various tables that give percentage rates of side effects, like dry eye, halos, etc, taken from documents LASIK manufactures submitted to the FDA. It has complication rate tables from 20 laser manufacturers.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:09 PM
aerofly0610

This is not RC related
Old 03-24-2010, 10:28 PM
fly3

Yes it is, without good vision you cant fly!
Old 03-25-2010, 12:36 AM
fly3

A coment i found at youtube.

<button style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 4px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; outline-width: 0px; outline-style: initial; outline-color: initial; font-size: 12px; background-image: url(http://s.ytimg.com/yt/img/master-vfl149944.png); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; font: normal normal normal 12px/normal Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; cursor: pointer; height: 16px; width: 12px; vertical-align: middle; background-position: 0px -322px; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat; " class="yt-uix-expander-arrow master-sprite"></button> Text Comments (4,154)   Options

Nastpeh (3 hours ago)  
 0 <button style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; outline-width: 0px; outline-style: initial; outline-color: initial; font-size: 12px; background-image: url(http://s.ytimg.com/yt/img/master-vfl149944.png); background-attachment: scroll; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: transparent; font: normal normal normal 12px/normal Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; cursor: pointer; width: 19px; height: 19px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; vertical-align: bottom; opacity: 0.3; background-position: 0px -190px; background-repeat: repeat no-repeat; " onmouseout="yt.www.comments.voting.displayLoginMsg('hEIvr-KeWu5Od1jLBVqotkRD2Z3kc81yNgOTAL5vBRM', 0);" onmouseover="yt.www.comments.voting.displayLoginMsg('hEIvr-KeWu5Od1jLBVqotkRD2Z3kc81yNgOTAL5vBRM', 1);" title="Poor comment" class="master-sprite watch-comment-down"></button> <button style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; outline-width: 0px; outline-style: initial; outline-color: initial; font-size: 12px; background-image: url(http://s.ytimg.com/yt/img/master-vfl149944.png); background-attachment: scroll; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: transparent; font: normal normal normal 12px/normal Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; cursor: pointer; width: 19px; height: 19px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; vertical-align: bottom; opacity: 0.3; background-position: -19px -190px; background-repeat: repeat no-repeat; " onmouseout="yt.www.comments.voting.displayLoginMsg('hEIvr-KeWu5Od1jLBVqotkRD2Z3kc81yNgOTAL5vBRM', 0);" onmouseover="yt.www.comments.voting.displayLoginMsg('hEIvr-KeWu5Od1jLBVqotkRD2Z3kc81yNgOTAL5vBRM', 1);" title="Good comment" class="master-sprite watch-comment-up"></button>
pilot to pilot, DO NOT GET LASIK..Please. It will ruin your flying dreams if something goes wrong. My father was a pilot making $97/hr and he got this surgery. Now he can barely see what is in front of him, and constantly needs eye-drops. The removal of the 'flap' is very risky. But with the new laser surgery, "PRK Laser surgery" there is no removal of that flap, and nothing is cut away from your eye. Just don't take the risk with this, flying was my dads dream, and now he cant fly.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:55 AM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 61 and I've been wearing glasses since I was 7. They're simply a part of my face. I tried contacts back in the '60s. Too much of a hassle. I've long since stopped worrying about how I "look" with or without glasses. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I'm not the beholder of me as long as I don't hang around mirrors all the time. Vanity, thy name is lasik.
I know several people who have had lasik surgery. Roughly half wish they had not several years later. I hear a lot about dry eyes and light sensitivity. What's the use of having surgery so you won't need glasses if you end up wearing sunglasses almost all the time?
I do many other things besides flying RC that require sight. I wouldn't compromise my ability to do any of them for some bit of vanity. I'm going to take care of my eyes as long as possible.

papermache
Old 03-25-2010, 07:28 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: fly3

This is not spam!
I would like others to know what can happen when they do lasik, becouse lasik md will not tell you the other side of the story.
I have very bad vision after lasik surgery, that cant be correct with glasses or contacts. Surgery will not work to.
Whatch the movie, it shows various tables that give percentage rates of side effects, like dry eye, halos, etc, taken from documents LASIK manufactures submitted to the FDA. It has complication rate tables from 20 laser manufacturers.

When you join this site for the sole purpose of posting this message,, then yes,, it is spam,, and you are a troll (nothing personal )
Old 03-25-2010, 08:02 AM
Stripes
My Feedback: (19)

The original poster joined RCUniverse the same day as this thread was posted and currently has four posts all in this thread.

He's a troll looking to stir up trouble on the lasik issue
Old 03-25-2010, 08:08 AM
KW_Counter

Stripes,
That's your opinion!
Some of us enjoy the fact that he posted the warning!!!
And he posted it in the right place, the Clubhouse.
That is where we post things not specifically RC related.

You're the one trying to cause problems.
GET OFF OF HIS BACK !!!

KW_Counter
Old 03-25-2010, 09:21 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to start posting somewhere, give the guy a break. If you don't like go start your own thread on a different topic. Thanks for the info. My wife has been considering this surgery and we haven't been too hopeful of the outcome.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:01 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been wearing glasses since I was 5, so that's nearly 35 years with them. They're part of me now, and have saved my eyes from FOD more than a dozen times.

We consulted about Radial Keratotomy (sp) when I was about 12, since my vision is 20/400. Our optometrist told me flat out - "You don't mess with the eye" ... good enough for me
Old 03-25-2010, 12:02 PM
Big_Bird

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I really appreciate fly3 for posting this. It is RC related as far as I'm concerned. I've worn glasses almost my entire life and would never consider RK. Where are the RC flyers that think this is the greatest advancement since sliced bread?
Old 03-25-2010, 10:37 PM
RC_Fanatic

Well, let me take a stand on this! I had Lasik about 10 years ago and it has been great. I was very near-sighted. Glasses limit your field of view more than you would realize. They also get steamed up when it gets hot. I found my flying, as well as my motorcycle riding, improved dramatically after Lasik. As we get older, the eye muscles lose some of their range of focus. I'd much rather wear glasses for reading and not have to wear them for flying and driving. I've had none of the negative effects most of you are worried about.

Just my experience!

Old 03-26-2010, 12:35 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

About 6 years ago an FBI agent told me that type of surgery will probably eliminate you from joining the FBI because you loose some depth perception! Never heard of that before - but he should know....
Old 03-26-2010, 06:45 AM
JKEpps

ORIGINAL: tailskid

About 6 years ago an FBI agent told me that type of surgery will probably eliminate you from joining the FBI because you loose some depth perception! Never heard of that before - but he should know....
My wife had it done over 10 years ago. To this day she still swears that it's the best monet we ever spent on anything. I will say though that her depth perception does seems to have been affected. I really notice it when we're in the car and she's driving. She invariably tends to tailgate when she thinks she has provided the correct following distance.

Who knows ...

-Jorden
Old 03-26-2010, 12:58 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Thanks for the link. Very useful information for R/C Pilots to know.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:17 PM
BillyGoat

ORIGINAL: JKEpps

... I really notice it when we're in the car and she's driving. She invariably tends to tailgate when she thinks she has provided the correct following distance.

Who knows ...

-Jorden
It's not her vision thats making her think she providing a safe following distance... It's the lack of a Y chomosome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.