Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

help please battery power to rx for electric flight

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

help please battery power to rx for electric flight

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 02:06 PM
lakeside1000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help please battery power to rx for electric flight

I am just getting back into rc after a 30 year break, the last time i flew the plane had a fox 40, now i want to start in electric flight, i have the begginings of a delta wing foamy on the building board, plus ive purchased a whole load of kit from a place in hong kong, but i cant find any reference to where the rx gets its power, is it from the main battery pack, a lipo 2200 2c 25 or something, ive been reading up as much as i can find on the systems, and watching loads of utube videos, but im still a little confused, do you normally fit an on/off switch to the reciever like we used to, this will not cut power to the motor directly but i assume the controlfeed to the esc will be cutby the switch, or do you just pull the plug, wieghtseems to be the all important item any advice on power to wieght ratio, many thanks alan
Old 01-08-2011, 02:35 PM
Live Wire

Default RE: help please battery power to rx for electric flight

Off the ESC. It should have a wire that plugs into your RX.
Sorry to leave so fast I was disconnected
Larry K
Old 01-08-2011, 05:43 PM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

Lakeside,

Basically, your battery plugs into the two large leads coming out of one end of your ESC/BEC. Your three motor leads connect to the three large leads coming out of the other side of your ESC/BEC. Your ESC/BEC has a smaller lead that plugs into the throttle slot of your reciever. Generally, Plugging in your batt. to the ESC/BEC is how you power things up. A ESC/BEC is a ESC with a built in BEC. A BEC is a "Battery Eliminator Circuit" device which reduces the voltage from your battery to a manageable voltage for your reciever and servos. You can get a Combination ESC/BEC or you can have a seperate ESC and BEC. If you connect things up and your motor runs in the wrong direction all you have to do is swap two of the three leads going to your motor. Generally, most people use bullet connectors to connect the motor leads to the ESC leads.

Hope this helps

Tom
Old 01-09-2011, 06:58 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As mentioned above, most ESC (electronic speed control) have a built in BEC (battery elimination circuit) which reduces the voltage powering the ESC down to 5 volts and passes it on to the receiver through the red lead in the three conductor cable that you plug into the throttle channel on your receiver. Now, you can use a separate 4 or 5 cell battery to power the receiver and servos if you want to but; if you do you have to disconnect the red wire between the receiver and ESC then plug the receiver battery into any unused channel on the receiver or into the battery channel. You still have to plug the cable from the ESC into the throttle channel on the receiver even though you now have the red wire disconnected in order to control the speed of the motor.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:13 AM
lakeside1000

thanks everyone, your comments are most helpfull, i cant wait to get back in the air, regards alan