Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

RC Fly Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 09:27 PM
NCLights

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Fly Magazine

Hey all. My dad's company prints the magazine RC Fly, and he brought it home today. As a newbie, it looks pretty good, some crossovers with Model Airplane News, but I think it's worth it.

-Tom
Old 08-06-2003, 07:50 PM
Trombe
My Feedback: (1)

Default Re: RC Fly Magazine

Originally posted by NCLights
Hey all. My dad's company prints the magazine RC Fly, and he brought it home today. As a newbie, it looks pretty good, some crossovers with Model Airplane News, but I think it's worth it.

-Tom
Wow, Your dad is probably worth the "are you famous" thread. Does this mean you get a free subscription? :stupid:
Old 08-06-2003, 09:19 PM
NCLights

Default RC Fly Magazine

Heh, he's just a loley worker; as to your question, no, but he'll bring home a new magazine every month, so it's just as good.
Old 08-08-2003, 04:08 PM
phuffstatler
My Feedback: (20)

Default RC Fly Magazine

Hey NCLights, that's "lowly worker." Ayhoo, yes, you'd see some crossover, since Tom Atwood is running the new one, and he used to be edit MAN. Looks like a bunch of the usual industry 'staffers' are writing for this one, too. I like the diversity they are showing so far, I really like the pull-out plans (all the new ones seem to do that, but after a while it fades away). The one weird thing I've noticed is the Dave Baron seems to be in charge of ALL flight testing for the reviews and such. I personally like the diversity of each of the independent authors with differing skill levels, but at the same time it's nice to see a single "qualified" (I have no idea who Dave baron is, or what he can do) give a single opinion on flight characteristics. It also means that all the staffers and aircraft are in the same general area geographically. I suppose that means So Cal.

They are off to a rip-roaring start, and the $10/year charter price is good, too. I signed up. I'll give any model airplane magazine a year, to see what it's like. The only subscription I have left from before is Flying Models. Now we'll try this one. I do hope they stay tuned in to the modeler, and not just what will make some quick bucks. (Read - fads)

I wish them the best of luck.

Phil in Austin
Old 08-08-2003, 05:05 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RC Fly Magazine

I just got my premier issue of "Fly RC" as well yesterday. I spent about 3 hours leafing through it and reading it. They have done a really nice job on this magazine and certainly have done a few things to set themselves apart from the pack.

There are many, many pictures in the publication. Seems like much more than most have. Great action shots like planes hovering and other great angles. The photography is superb. Printed on a heavier paper and of very good quality. They have far more reviews than the other magazines I read and both electrics and glow/gas are covered well.

So...just when you think there isn't room for yet another publication in our hobby somebody steps in and shows there ACTUALLY IS and this magazine has done just that IMHO. I will add it to my collection (the RC magazine junkie that I am) of must read RC mags and really look forward to their 2nd issue.

Worth noting here is that Maplegate (the publisher of Fly RC) has also extended a special deal to RCU members for a FREE trial issue so you can see what the magazine is all about. You can signup for the special free trial which is 6 issues for a year. They will bill you LATER for the $9.95 annual subscription and if you decide you don't want the subscription just mark "CANCEL" on the bill and send it back. Keep the free magazine. I think after you see the first issue you will want to keep them coming.

Below is the link to the special trial offer for RCU members:

https://www.cambeywest.com/frc/frcrcutrial2.asp
Old 08-08-2003, 05:17 PM
phuffstatler
My Feedback: (20)

Default oh yeah...

I DID forget to add that I signed up for the first one through RCUniverse....

Sorry about that, Marc....

phil in austin
Old 08-08-2003, 07:27 PM
EkRr
My Feedback: (51)

Default Fly RC Review Posted

Guys,

One of our writer was equally impressed with the new Fly RC magazine and he wrote a review which we just posted on the homepage. It has some cool page shots. Check it out!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/reviews.ph...w&reviewid=127

Thanks
Erick Royer
Old 08-08-2003, 07:46 PM
Johnnylightning

Default RC Fly Magazine

Originally posted by phuffstatler
Hey NCLights, that's "lowly worker."
I think he meant "lol-ing" worker.
Old 08-08-2003, 08:24 PM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Default RC Fly Magazine

Well I signed up to see what it's all about!
Old 08-08-2003, 10:04 PM
maineflyer
My Feedback: (44)

Default Fly RC

I had signed up when the link was put here on RCU.. I gotta say I am really impressed and thanks Marc for the great deal!!! this magis printed on heavy paper which gives it a much richer feel than the others. The articles are great especially the one on tuning your engine.
The only flaw that I can see is that Fly RC is only published every 2 months... this magazine should catch on and hopefully go monthly. If following issues are as comprehensive as this one it should be a shoe in.
Jeff
Old 08-11-2003, 02:05 AM
thejetgod

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I'm Still Looking

Guys,

Did you get a subscription bill in the mail ahead of your mag? I got a bill, but I still haven't seen my magazine yet. I hope it didn't get snagged before I even got a chance to wrinkle the pages! Maybe someone else out there thought it looked like a class act, too!
Old 08-11-2003, 03:11 AM
goldguy

Default RC Fly Magazine

The site to subscribe to R/C Fly magazine will not work for me and if you go to Cambey & West, the "contact us" also will not work. I click on to Britich Columbia and it will not accept the information, keeps asking which state.
Old 08-11-2003, 03:43 AM
mvigod
Banned

Default RC Fly Magazine

I don't know if it is taking out of US orders but I will have Erick contact them to see if that is a problem on the website and if so whether they can fix it.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:31 AM
thejetgod

Default Radio Control Flyer?

I just got a card from Fly RC saying that they used to call themselves Radio Control Flyer. I thought that Fly RC was a brand new mag. They say on their card that nothing has changed but the name. What's the excitement all about? Are you guys seeing anything in Fly RC that is different/better than the old mag?

The card also says that I should be expecting my issue, so I guess at least the letter carrier doesn't have mine sitting in the rack of his "men's room".
Old 08-12-2003, 01:59 AM
EkRr
My Feedback: (51)

Default RC Fly Magazine

Before the release of their first issue, they were planning on calling the magazine Radio Control Flyer. For some reason, they decided to change the name prior to printing to Fly RC. So, in fact, the first issue of Fly RC is the only issue that Maplegate Publishing has put out to date.

Having seen the magazine, I am impressed. They have managed to create a magazine that offer something different that all the others. I think they have a future with this one!

-Erick
Old 08-12-2003, 02:13 AM
jkind

Default RC Fly Magazine

Goldguy

They fixed the form so it will accept Canadian orders.

I had the same problem a few days ago and just tried it again and it worked.

Jim
Old 08-12-2003, 03:03 AM
thejetgod

Default RC Fly Magazine

Thanks, Erick!
Old 08-12-2003, 06:40 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RC Fly Magazine

Sorry folks.

I got the bill yesterday, wrote "Cancel" on it, and tossed it back in the box.

I don't care for "Home on the Range" magazines. What's that, you ask? "Where Never is Heard a Discouraging Word."

Every review was upbeat and shallow, as I went through I knew what each one was going to say. Only the names and illustrations changed from one to the next.

Again, sorry, but it's not for me.

And please note this is only my personal opinion, I'm either too simple to appreciate the magazine, or the magazine is too simple for me.

Bill.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:13 AM
NitroWoman

Default Me Too

I'm in the same process as thejetgod, a bill, a card, and no magazine, and I'm in the U.S. I also have one general gripe and this seems like a good time to air it. Don't you just love offers for a free magazine and then if you subscribe the free one is included in your subscription so you end up paying for it anyway. Grrrrrrr.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:00 PM
SDR-Hammer

Default RC Fly Magazine

Just a couple days ago I sent my request for the free issue, so I’m still waiting to get a personal glimpse.

I hope the bill doesn’t reach my mailbox before the magazine does. Had that happen with a professional publication, where I received two bills and a cancellation notice before the “free” issue arrived. IMHO sending the bill before the complimentary issue is bad PR.

Bill, I agree with your “home on the range” philosophy that’s why I don’t read MAN anymore. However I will not total condemn a periodical for butt-kissing reviews if the remainder of the content is satisfactory. Will wait and see I guess.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:20 PM
MikelJay
My Feedback: (2)

Default Funny you should mention that......

But I sent a request for a "free" issue a while back too. Guess what arrived in the mail? A bill for the magazine, which I haven't gotten yet.

Bad PR? I think so......

The jury is still out on this one....

Mike
Old 08-12-2003, 01:37 PM
busdriver-RCU

Default Fly RC Magazine

I also took advantage of the free trial offer..... only to get a bill in the mail.... still no magazine though.
I hope it's worth it.

Keith
Charleston, WV
Old 08-12-2003, 02:01 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RC Fly Magazine

Sdr:

...I will not total condemn a periodical for butt-kissing reviews if the remainder of the content is satisfactory...
But there is no other content.

Except ads, of course.

Bill.
Old 08-12-2003, 02:03 PM
mvigod
Banned

Default RC Fly Magazine

Do not worry about the bill. Do not pay it until you receive the magazine and decide if you like it. If you like it you can then pay the bill and if you don't like it you just mark cancel on it and pay nothing. We negotiated a no lose trial for our members here so don't worry whether the bill or the magazine shows up first. It is likely that the magazine is shipped out of a different distribution center then the bills are generated from. We have notified Maplegate Publishing that the magazines are lagging behind the bills so hopefully they will step up the ship times on the magazines for you guys.
Old 08-12-2003, 04:00 PM
Ned Bixler

Default RC Fly Magazine

Maplegate apologizes to subscribers who have received an invoice before their first issue of Fly RC arrived. The magazines actually went out slightly before the invoices but it turns out that the delivery of the magazines is a slower process. We should have anticipated this and sent the invoices at least a week or two later--that's what we will do in the future. Anyone who has received an invoice but not a copy of the first issue within a couple of days can contact me and we'll ship you a copy from the home office. Sorry about the inconvenience and please put the invoice aside until you've had an opportunity to review the magazine.

We are striving to offer the best customer service and editorial content. If anyone has any further questions, concerns or comments please feel free to email me at [email protected].

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.