The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Lady Pilots? Where are you?

Old 01-25-2011, 10:15 AM
crash1ace

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Lady Pilots? Where are you?

As the title suggest... Just a simple question. Just wanted to know how many women fly at your club? are they members? are they competative? do any take lessons? do any fly full scale? Im just curios, been to a few clubs and have only seen a few ladies take to the air over the years. I know most guys are in this hobby but Im sure, in this day and age there are more women getting into the fun. So ladies, how bout it?
Old 01-26-2011, 09:48 PM
Montague

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Lady Pilots? Where are you?

My wife flys, and is pretty good. She can fly my 50cc extra and most of the other planes we have with no problem, and do most of the basic aerobatic bits. I did all the instruction with my wife.

There's another woman who just soloed in my club as well. I was one of her instructors, and she was a fast learner. Her boyfriend also flys at the club, but they didn't want for him to try to teach her.

I think there are several things that often turn off women to the hobby at the field. First, many fields can be a bit of a old-boys-club and get a bit of the locker-room humor going on. Many times, overhearing that kind of humor can make someone feel like it's not their kind of place to be. Also, men tend to teach each other in a way that many women don't respond well to. So if you want to teach your wife or girlfriend to fly, you'll probably need to take a different approach than you would with some of the guys. Oh, and then there's the porta-jon found at most fields. We have a handicap-accessible model that's huge, and a company that does a great job keeping it clean, but still most women will avoid it and just spend less time at the field rather than deal with it. Can't say I blame them either.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:25 PM
Herbs_007

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Lady Pilots? Where are you?

We only have one female flyer at our club, she has been solo for about a year. She flys a .46 size low wing Tiger 3, and has pink girly things all over it.. All the other wifes and girlfriends call them toys, and have no interest in the sport whatsoever, even though we point out that in most ARF instructions in the first paragarph it states "THIS IS NOT A TOY"...