Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

how important is a perfect wing

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

how important is a perfect wing

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 05:56 PM
Tile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how important is a perfect wing

making a foam plane, dont have much for proper tools or skills, wanting to know how important is a perfect wing, or will just as close as i can get them be fine?
Old 01-26-2011, 06:09 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: how important is a perfect wing

Well some of the electrics are flying on a flat piece of foam and they seem to do very well

In all honesty, a wing is a bunch of compromise - you win in one department, you lose in another.....what size plane/wing are you thinking of?
Old 01-26-2011, 06:21 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you saw some of the hacked up looking messes I built and flew early on you would wonder if it actually needed a wing at all. For the most part if you get pretty close to what the designer had in mind it's nothing that a little over powering won't cure.

I would recomend choosing a plane that is well documented by many people as flying good though.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:47 PM
Tile

not sure on size of the wing tailskid, is there a rule of thumb to how big it should be compared to the body?the plane is about 13 inches long
Old 01-26-2011, 06:49 PM
Tile

lol by looking at my first diy plane i can understand what you mean vicman. my motor i believe is only a 380 i wonder if thats enough for a small about 13 inch plane
Old 01-26-2011, 09:30 PM
Montague

If you've ever seen what many RC Combat planes look like after a few rounds, you'd know that while wing shape does affect how the plane flys, it often affects it less than most people would think. same thing with the tail being out of alignment with the wing and all kind of other things. If you're trying to to build a pattern plane or something like that, it matters more, but for just flying around, you can get away with quite a lot.