Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Best city for Hobby Shops???

Okay I just had a wild idea after having just returned from a vacation in Las Vegas. As an avid RC pilot, I decided to seek out Hobby Shops in Las Vegas. A search of the yellow pages and after a number of phone calls I found 3 to go visit. As I started out on my venture, out of the 3, I found one that actually had some RC plane related stuff but it was all ARF planes Magnum Engines and a radio brand that was foreign to me. Parts and accessories were very limited at best so needless to say I was somewhat disappointed. My thought was, if I were to go on another vacation which city would I go to to see the best selection of RC plane related for sale in the Hobby Shops. I now realize how lucky I am to live where I live in that Portland Oregon and Vancouver Washington have at least 5 Hobby Shops that are fully loaded with planes, trains and automobiles. What other cities are this well stocked?????? Thanks Dave
    If the screw ain\'t loose then things ain\'t normal.

Dave Agar
    AMA#97144

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Best city for Hobby Shops???

Orlando!!! Several of the biggest hobby shops are in Orlando.

Bob's Hobby Center

Graves RC Hobbies

Central Florida Hobbies

J & B Hobby Center

I've spent more money than I care to mention in Bob's and Graves!!!!!

Ken
    The take off is optional, but the landing is MANDATORY!!
    RCU Forum Manager
    www.gettingairborne.com
    RCKen Publications
    Brotherhood's
    Ultra Sport Brother #1
    Sig Brotherhood #4
    Balsa USA #4

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Warren Michigan
    Prop Shop Hobbies
    I want my Six Dollars!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: DavidAgar

Okay I just had a wild idea after having just returned from a vacation in Las Vegas. As an avid RC pilot, I decided to seek out Hobby Shops in Las Vegas. A search of the yellow pages and after a number of phone calls I found 3 to go visit. As I started out on my venture, out of the 3, I found one that actually had some RC plane related stuff but it was all ARF planes Magnum Engines and a radio brand that was foreign to me. Parts and accessories were very limited at best so needless to say I was somewhat disappointed. My thought was, if I were to go on another vacation which city would I go to to see the best selection of RC plane related for sale in the Hobby Shops. I now realize how lucky I am to live where I live in that Portland Oregon and Vancouver Washington have at least 5 Hobby Shops that are fully loaded with planes, trains and automobiles. What other cities are this well stocked?????? Thanks Dave
    Back in the 80's, one of the largest hobby shops was Circus-Circus in Las Vegas. They hosted the TOC. Nowadays, the biggest hobby shop is a click away.
    KEEP UM FLYIN

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

St. Louis has a very nice shop pertaining to mostly cars with an assortment of planes and other RC's called Mark Twain Hobbies. They were very helpful the last time I was in there (end of 09) and apparently they have expanded into quite a shop since then.

One town I was rather disappointed with hobby shop wise was Charlotte, NC. We were there a few weeks ago and there were very few places to shop. They had one Hobby Town that was actually off the Concord exit we found but it had a really limited selection of RC parts. For being a NASCAR town (there are more NASCAR involved people who are RC'ers than you think) there sure was a slim selection of places to visit. [:'(]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

For those of us in Northern Wyoming/South Central Montana you can't go wrong in Billings, Montana. All of these stores always have what you need on the shelves it seems like, but if they don't they'll have it for you pretty quick. The other nice thing about Montana is no walk in sales tax, what you see on the tag is what you pay

Central Hobbies

Abell Hobbies

HeliProz

South of us about the same distance as Billings is Casper, Wyoming. New hobby shop opened up here and it looks like it's going to only grow. Stu and the crew here are great and continue to get more and more in store items every time I visit:

Wheels and Wings

Over in Rapid City, SD we also have:

Who's Hobby House

I know there are many more down south, but in Denver I always have to stop off at AeroWorks.

Aero-Works
    ****** Gregg******
    Rule one: No matter what else happens, fly the airplane.
    Rule two: Fly it until the last piece stops moving.
    You know you've landed with the wheels up when it takes full power to taxi.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Minneapolis / St Paul has a few.

Hub, Sky, and Hobby Warehouse.

All pretty good in there own ways.
    Dave Norman
    29w

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: racemaxx24

St. Louis has a very nice shop pertaining to mostly cars with an assortment of planes and other RC's called Mark Twain Hobbies. They were very helpful the last time I was in there (end of 09) and apparently they have expanded into quite a shop since then.

One town I was rather disappointed with hobby shop wise was Charlotte, NC. We were there a few weeks ago and there were very few places to shop. They had one Hobby Town that was actually off the Concord exit we found but it had a really limited selection of RC parts. For being a NASCAR town (there are more NASCAR involved people who are RC'ers than you think) there sure was a slim selection of places to visit. [:'(]
    Charlotte sux, you should've went North on I-85 to Archdale. KC Hobbies is an awesome store. Airplanes of all kinds hanging from the ceiling, kits both build and arf, four isles of Dubro/ Great Planes hardware, heli parts, mufflers all type, fuel tanks/ pumps, balsa/ lite ply, two simulators running all the time, KC is alittle weak in the engine department, but can order what ever you want and most likely have it in 3 days. Well worth the trip.
    KEEP UM FLYIN

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

In the 'Dallas area' we have a few:
    A1 Hobby - in Mesquite.
    Plano RC - in Plano
    Mike's Hobby Shop - in Carrollton
    Wild Bill's - in Irving
    Roy's Hobby Shop - in Hurst
    To go to all 5 in one day would be tough because they are pretty scattered. I know there are shops in Fort Worth but I am not familiar with them.
    - Carrell

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: DavidAgar

Oh good grief! How could you have visited LAS without a trip to Twice Nice hobbies. Only an office front in a warehouse district but worthy of any modelers stand alone vacation destination.

From your description you hit only some of (not all) the bubble pack stores[] Man, that is so sad.

John
    \"Keep your controllines tight\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Warren Michigan
    Prop Shop Hobbies
    +1 !! Ciao Matt!

When in the Chicago area, it's Al's Hobbies in Elmhurst,

Ed
    I might not be very good, but I'm fun to watch!

San Diego but living in Dubai, UNITED ARAB EMIRATE
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you're ever in Dubai, Ultimate Heli would be your best bet for aerial stuff.

There are a few other ones, but this is by far the biggest and most stocked shop I've seen out here.

Next best bet is the Net....
    The rest of your life starts now. Go Live It!

Team Terribles

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

LOL I know what you mean. I tried that and I've been disappointed every time. Gas is way to high now to drive two hours for a "Largest selection of RC planes and gear in the state!" hobby shop that only has 2 coaxial helis and four little ARF planes.

Google street view helps out a lot that way you can at least see if they are a real store and not a flea market booth or a house in a residential neighborhood.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Orlando!!! Several of the biggest hobby shops are in Orlando.

Bob's Hobby Center

Graves RC Hobbies

Central Florida Hobbies

J & B Hobby Center

I've spent more money than I care to mention in Bob's and Graves!!!!!

Ken

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thanks,good for me.