Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

AMA sanctioned club looks to punish members

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

AMA sanctioned club looks to punish members

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 03:58 PM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: AMA sanctioned club looks to punish members

would you prefer it be an extra hundred?
Old 02-10-2011, 06:12 PM
mcjustis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As our clubs Secretary/ newsletter editor I would say if you don't like the way the BOD is taking your club put your hand up at the next officer election and get on board. I've found that in 'volunteer' groups such as we are it's pretty easy to get elected as there are not many people willing to work for the wages we get.
Martin
Old 02-10-2011, 06:37 PM
DOC
My Feedback: (57)

Taildragger (good name) If you cant afford the $10 I know for sure your in the wrong Hobby !
Old 02-10-2011, 06:44 PM
daisy shoot

Ten bucks.....wow. How much $ did you spend on the last plane you put together? How much $ money did you spend yearly on gas to get back and forth to the field? What about the electricity to charge everything? And you gripe about ten measly dollars...pay on time and avoid he late fee! I have read many informative posts here by some pretty intellegent individuals...shame their time was wasted on such a stupid topic! What an idiot....
Old 02-10-2011, 07:45 PM
KidEpoxy

If charging a late fee is the right thing to do,
is the AMA wrong for not doing it?
Old 02-10-2011, 08:08 PM
psb667

Wow The field I fly at charges $8 a day pass or a yearly park pass for $73. you dont have to be a member of any club to fly but you do have to be a ama member. its the main reason I joined ama.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:13 PM
KidEpoxy

lol

PBS, you must be imagining thats what your field does-
Many here have declared that PayPerDay is impossible and cannot be done.
(well, thats what they say when I mention PPD flying site [8D] )

j/k
Good to hear you got a system you like
Old 02-10-2011, 08:27 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Anyone can claim to be a man, but a real man doesn't snivel over being charged $10 for acting like a child.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:57 PM

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

lol

PBS, you must be imagining thats what your field does-
Many here have declared that PayPerDay is impossible and cannot be done.
(well, thats what they say when I mention PPD flying site [8D] )

j/k
Good to hear you got a system you like
Wow, how 'bout that kid, psb667 flies at a park that requires AMA.
I guess the public can fly there since the public can buy an AMA card.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:44 PM
wjcalhoun

Well said, CP

How long would you be using the gym TD, if you did not pay your dues? How well would your insurance company cover you if you did not pay the premium? Can you still park in the garage if you don't pay your monthly fee? Why would you have even started this thread TD? Life is a business. Grow up. Understand reality. Stop living in your parent's basement.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:20 AM
telejojo

We have a first class field 600' paved runway,200' covered work area with power,clubhouse and all for 50.00 a year.I was on the board and we wanted to charge 10.00 after jan for. those who have not renewed yet and the tight wads went wild no way some we had waiting until july or later and pay 25.00.Some of these tight wads would'nt pay a quarter for a phone call to get out of jail.We wanted to raise the dues to 75.00 or 100.00 no way..............most of the old tight wads don't even fly.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:19 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: wjcalhoun

Well said, CP

How long would you be using the gym TD, if you did not pay your dues? How well would your insurance company cover you if you did not pay the premium? Can you still park in the garage if you don't pay your monthly fee? Why would you have even started this thread TD? Life is a business. Grow up. Understand reality. Stop living in your parent's basement.

The whole world is going crazy. I parked in the street downtown, I put coins in the meter for 3 hours. I was 20 minutes late, and I got a ticket. Unreal. One week before that, I went to the airport, and left my car there for 3 days. They had my car for 3 days and quess what? They charged me for that! For MY car I was charged! Nuts!
Hungry, I stoped at a McDonalds, and they gave me a sandwich loadad with calories, fat, and god knows what. And they asked me money for that atery clogging thing! Now I am lookin for a RC club where they appreciate nice airplanes. I wonder how much they will pay me to fly there?
I will be careful to avoid clubs that punish deadbeats that pay late... Or crazy clubs that give you a date to pay...ot that expect to be paid, period.

Gerry

Old 02-11-2011, 06:18 AM
crash99
My Feedback: (3)

I have wasted an hour reading the post. The clubs that have such a rule has more problems than a $10 fee. I do agree with mbatpigg that it is only $10. The real issue is why cause problems in your happy group with such a rule. This is a club that must feel that they need to control people.

I belong to a club of 60 where we know how good we have it. Park flyers, warbird, sport, builders, ARF builders, 3D and ProBro members at our club. Here is a secret, don't tell anyone but we all get along like brothers in a large family. If one of the 60+ shows up, and the field needs to be mowed, they mow it.

We must not be advance at your club. We see no reason to have the fun police, we all get along. We dont need Boards, we all get along, We dont need monthly meetings, We all get along. We all have a AMA membership before flying after the first of the year. How am I to say you will have a AMA membership my X date. Not me or any of our members. We all get along.

So if you ever make it to Lake of the Ozarks and you have a plane, stop on by and we will welcome you to spend some time flying and shooting the bull. I would say the only rule we have is that your a AMA member to fly.

Crash99
Old 02-11-2011, 06:31 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Well if your rule is that you have to have an AMA to fly, then you are telling them when they have to renew their AMA, since if they want to fly, they better have it.
KidEpoxy comment about the AMA not having a penalty for late renewal is ludicrous as well, since again, you are not hurting anyone but yourself if you decide to fly without paying the AMA dues.
I have known plenty of folks in plenty of clubs who abuse the goodness of those clubs, and sooner or later it is going to happen in your "happy" group as well. There are people, especially in clubs with prorated dues, who will not pay their dues until summer, and then think they only have to pay half of them. It is a slap in the face to the rest of the membership to allow them to do this. Why whould you pay less, or someone else pay more, for the same priviledges?
There are always deadbeats, in any organizations. There are always those too lazy to participate in the mowing, upkeep, swap meets, and other activities that define the "club". If their only concern in being a member of the club, is to have a decent place to fly, they ought to be happy to cough up the money to do it. These places donot run themselves, nor take care of themselves, nor insure themselves. the AMA wants their money for renewal in a timely fashion, or you lose your charter. The people who own the land typically want their money, as do the utilities, and the mower maintenance, etc.
Like many others on here, if $10 is enough justification to raise a *****fest and cause turmoil in your club, you really need to find another hobby.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:42 AM
GarZob
My Feedback: (18)

R U SERIOUS PEOPLE... Those who think a late fee is some sort of commy plot to overthrow the free world. Having served in capacity as numerous officer positions I can't believe the dribble about a late fee. 20% of the members do 80% of the work. From clerical to manual. There are timeframes for lease payments, reporting rosters to AMA, corporate filings with the scy. of state, in the case of a registered non profit,. Do you think the folks who do the majority of the work want drag out the dues process for 8 months.. No way.. Dues notices in our club are sent Oct. 1 and due no later than the first meeting in Jan. Renewal after that is a HUGE $5.00 late fee. Pull your head out of your wallet . pay your dues on time , shut the he!! up and enjoy the hobby. Don't you have a life ?
Old 02-11-2011, 06:53 AM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Our Club has a $25.00 membership for Single, and $30.00 for family Membership. The members have until March 1st  to pay their dues. If not paid by that date, they will be charged another initation fee of $100.00 plus the membership dues.
Also, if you do not have a valid and current AMA card by December 31 of the previous year, you can not fly at our field until it is payed for and in your possession..
Guys whine about 25 bucks dues, when a gallon of fuel costs that. If you can't afford to save up the money for a whole year, then find another hobby.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:40 AM
K-Bob

ORIGINAL: crash99

I have wasted an hour reading the post. The clubs that have such a rule has more problems than a $10 fee. I do agree with mbatpigg that it is only $10. The real issue is why cause problems in your happy group with such a rule. This is a club that must feel that they need to control people.

I belong to a club of 60 where we know how good we have it. Park flyers, warbird, sport, builders, ARF builders, 3D and ProBro members at our club. Here is a secret, don't tell anyone but we all get along like brothers in a large family. If one of the 60+ shows up, and the field needs to be mowed, they mow it.

We must not be advance at your club. We see no reason to have the fun police, we all get along. We dont need Boards, we all get along, We dont need monthly meetings, We all get along. We all have a AMA membership before flying after the first of the year. How am I to say you will have a AMA membership my X date. Not me or any of our members. We all get along.

So if you ever make it to Lake of the Ozarks and you have a plane, stop on by and we will welcome you to spend some time flying and shooting the bull. I would say the only rule we have is that your a AMA member to fly.

Crash99
Maybe the issue is that there are people who are either forgetfull enough or irresponsible enough that they need to be (your words) controlled. Your club evidently, and luckily, hasno such problem. Neither does mine but there are those who do.

Late fees area win-win anyway. Theprocrastinator gets to procrastinate, and the club getsextra cash. Everybody's happy.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:08 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

In the 80s i had just became the new presindent by 2 days of the sac club in flossmore IL .Our treasurer ,by mistake in dec used our next years dues money for our xmas party so we would have very little money for the spring mowing and lawn care. I informed our club members at our jan meeting and i watched all of the 60 members that were there start throughing tens and twentys on the tables for us to collect. The others who were not there mailed in donations. Before spring came around we were ahead on cash for the year. Most all of our members are never late with their dues and even though there is the late fee some guys that were sick or had family sick were never charged the fee. joe
Old 02-11-2011, 11:32 AM
KidEpoxy

KidEpoxy comment about the AMA not having a penalty for late renewal is ludicrous as well, since again, you are not hurting anyone but yourself if you decide to fly without paying the AMA dues.
knowing about the AMA's 30day grace period
does not make my observation about it 'ludicrous'

being 1 to 29 days late renewing your AMA
does not effect your AMA insurance, and does not incur AMA $ penalties.

So, it is not 'ludicrous' to mention that AMA not only has no late penalty, but even covers you for 30days waiting fo you to pay (buy a year, get 1 month free ). If that is so offensive to some folks here, they should tell the AMA how wrong AMA is to do it

If the AMA way is the right way,
why are some clubs choosing to do it the non-AMA way?
Old 02-11-2011, 12:13 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Alot of new flyers do not need ama because of fllying free in a park some where . Then there are some clubs where you dont need ama to fly and then there are guys who would like to fly at a nice ama field but are just to cheap to pay. No one says the ama is the right way it was the way for me because iam in the hobby for the long haul. How about you kid you are a ama member and i think you fly at a ama club field. If you sign up for ama late you still have to pay the full amount , so you dont get a month for free.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:14 PM
DocYates

First off because the majority join the AMA because their club rules say they must be a member. If they plan on flying at their club site they need to a member of the AMA, so like the chicken before the egg, which one comes first?
In any case the AMA is an organization which has plenty of assets (land holdings and investments, with plenty of operating capital), and comparing it to a club with a 100 members who need their funds to pay their bills is like comparing apples to oranges.
Yours is the typical liberal repsonse....let us pay when we are ready, there should be no penalty. Yet, I bet if you show up at your field and it is closed because the club could not pay their bills you would be the first one to raise holy hell about mismanagement.
For me, as an AMA member and waiver holder, if I do not pay my dues by the 1st of the year and my membership lapse, then I lose my waiver. So I pay particular attention to my responsibilites and pay them when they are due. Of course I do that with most bills and obligations which I have, and do not look for a way to weasel out of it. The object of a "punishment" if you want to call it that, is to make it inconvenient enough for people to do their duty, and if they don't, make it conveninient enough for the club to have to put up with them.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:23 PM
KidEpoxy

How about you kid you are a ama member and i think you fly at a ama club field. If you sign up for ama late you still have to pay the full amount , so you dont get a month for free.
The determination if the month is free or not
can come at the end of the month.

If I choose to fly at the club from Jan1 thru Jan29 without renewing,
I will have gotten that month free or not solely if I then choose to renew or not.
If I do not renew, and stop flying after the free month of AMA (aka January or 30Day GracePeriod),
then that month was indeed free
Old 02-11-2011, 12:26 PM
KidEpoxy

First off because the majority join the AMA because their club rules say they must be a member. If they plan on flying at their club site they need to a member of the AMA, so like the chicken before the egg, which one comes first?
you are ignoring AMA Chartered Clubs that choose to allow non-club-members to fly at their site without AMA

In any case the AMA is an organization which has plenty of assets (land holdings and investments, with plenty of operating capital), and comparing it to a club with a 100 members who need their funds to pay their bills is like comparing apples to oranges.
"This club has a $100K CD and collects over $16,000 a year in dues.
Location is a City park with no rent/payments."

Looks like I am very much comparing apples to apples,
wht banana club are you dragging in from nowheres?
Old 02-11-2011, 12:30 PM
DocYates

Do you argue just to see yourself type? Your arguments are baseless. If you are not paying your dues, when you know they are due, then you are procrastinating or a deadbeat. To whine about a surcharge added to reward those who pay in a timely manner is just one peg above being a bum. If the $10 is that important to you, you need to find a new hobby. If that is the only thing in your club to whine about, consider yourself lucky.
Club dues $48
Late fee $10
Not having to put up with this baselss BS - PRICELESS
Old 02-11-2011, 12:35 PM
DocYates

The club has a documented set of dues. I don't know what they plan to do with their money, perhaps buy a piece of land. In any case, since you are not a member of that club either, is it any of your business what is on their books? How do you know the OP is telling the truth? Does he really know the amount or is he speculating? I don't know, I am not a member of that club.
The fact is they have a set of dues....they have a penalty if you do not pay....if you are member you know this....so you either pay up when it is time, pay the penalty if you don't or move your azz along.
I may have $100K in the bank, but if you owe me money for a service I have provided for you, are you telling me I should let you slide because I can afford to do it???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.