Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

AMA sanctioned club looks to punish members

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

AMA sanctioned club looks to punish members

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 02:37 PM
Taildragger726

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA sanctioned club looks to punish members

Hey, check out how the local club wants to punish members for not renewing by a set date.

February 8, 2011

R/Sea Hawk “2010” Member,

Our records indicate that you have not renewed your 2011 club membership. If you intend to renew please do so before February 28th. After that date, the Board of Directors has approved a LATE FEE CHARGE of $10.00 to all 2010 members who renew after February 28th, 2011.

Remember you must hold a current AMA membership for the year 2011.

A 2011 application can be down loaded and printed from the club web site at:
http://www.rseahawks.org/Join%20Us/M...App%202011.pdf

John Falduti, Treasurer

EDIT 3/22/11
I will add this so people will stop saying "just pay your dues".

I mailed my renewal form and check on Feb18th, ten days before before the late fee would be imposed (Feb28). I still have not received a club membership card. I have been notified that action may be taken against me but for what, I have not been informed.

It is not about a $10 late fee.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:53 PM
ggraham500
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: AMA sanctioned club looks to punish members

Common accepted practice with with all RC clubs I am familiar with.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:02 PM
KidEpoxy

ROFLMAO

$10 hand slapping?????
That dog wont hunt at our club.

the Board of Directors has
well THERES you problem
Old 02-08-2011, 03:02 PM
Taildragger726

It is a new policy at this club. There is no initiation fee,,, new members are not 'penalized', just 2010 members.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:14 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Our club has the same policy. I disagree with the date, maybe should beMarch 30, but the intent of the policyis valid. There are certain activities that must be completed and expenses that have to be paid at certain times. If you allow current members to renew anytime during the year, it is more hassle for the treasurer and club officers who are already giving up some of their flying time to serve the club.
New members are a different issue . That's a hassle that is understood must occur and cannot be prevented or planned. Current members have known for a whole year that they need to renew. Just my opinion though, and I am not a club officer.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:21 PM
Arbo

Our membership fee is $60. If you pay for renewal on or by Dec 31st, you get a $15 discount. Was proposed by the board a few years ago, the membership all voted to put it into place. Previously the dues were $30.

The majority of members just pay the $60 and call the extra $15 a donation to the club.

Ours came about as expenses (ie taxes) were not leaving much from dues, and the need to have most of the dues paid on time so we could budget field improvements and events.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:24 PM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

I know if my club did not have a $5 "incentive" to pay early we wouldn't have the money to rent our field when flying season started much less get the porta potty delivered.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:29 PM
KidEpoxy

Our dues are $20,
but that gets you a free buffet lunch at the restaurant we hold the annual meeting at (~$10-12 value)
Old 02-08-2011, 04:10 PM
Taildragger726

This club has a $100K CD and collects over $16,000 a year in dues.Location is a City park with no rent/payments. There is also no mention of a 'late fee' in the club constitution.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:47 PM
KidEpoxy

well, sometimes its important to have a stated Reserve building up... designated for buying a field of your own, or as an emergency fund... but if your club is collecting money for the purpose of just having a bunch of money for the BoD to feel important with... well... you should start looking for a club more interested in controlling model planes, than in controlling the folks playing with model planes

but thts just my 3cents worth
(inflation strikes even anecdotal 2cents)
Old 02-08-2011, 09:17 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: Taildragger726

This club has a $100K CD and collects over $16,000 a year in dues.Location is a City park with no rent/payments. There is also no mention of a 'late fee' in the club constitution.
Our club is in a city park also... but we have a very stiff yearly use fee... (not our doing...a very long story). We double the club member's dues if late... even if by only one day... but it works out to be the same as if they were on time... LOL... Wonder how that could be, huh?? Well, we have a zero dues policy...
Old 02-09-2011, 12:17 AM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

well, sometimes its important to have a stated Reserve building up... designated for buying a field of your own, or as an emergency fund... but if your club is collecting money for the purpose of just having a bunch of money for the BoD to feel important with... well... you should start looking for a club more interested in controlling model planes, than in controlling the folks playing with model planes

but thts just my 3cents worth
(inflation strikes even anecdotal 2cents)
+1

Bliksem

Old 02-09-2011, 08:19 AM
M_Callahan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my club, dues notices go out in November. You have until January 31st to pay without
paying an overdue charge of 10%.

No problem.

Mike
Old 02-09-2011, 09:29 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, check out how the local club wants to punish members for not renewing by a set date.
//snip//
John Falduti, Treasurer
No big deal. I do not think it is punishment, just business.
AMA Bylaws Dues Requirement: Dues are due by Dec 31.
ARTICLE VI
Dues
The Executive Council shall set dues for all types of AMA
membership. Any AMA member who fails to pay annual dues
within thirty (30) days after they are due and payable shall be
dropped from the membership rolls. In any event, a member’s
dues must be currently paid in order to exercise the right to vote.
Here is a certain Club's Bylaws version that goes along with the AMA Bylaws.
All dues are payable in advance. Persons that are members on Dec. 31 shall be allowed until Jan.
31 of the new year to pay annual dues without having to be considered as a new member. These
persons will be extended full membership privileges for the month of January, except they may
not vote in matters concerning financial planning for future Club business. Prior year members,
not having paid their dues, prior to Feb. 01 of the current year may reapply for membership
under New Member Procedures. Failure to pay dues prior to February 01, of the current year,
will be considered a lapse in membership months as stated in the Club Constitution, Article VIII,
Section 1a.

This club owns 50 acres flat land and has a great facility. The dues are $150 per year and "new member" requires an additional $50.00 initiation fee.

The Feb. 01 renewal requirement saves lots of club work and bickering. OTOH, there is a system for joining later in the year. If one wishes and joins after July 01, then there is a $75 fee plus the $50 initiation. Of course the facility is open all year.

For what these folks get, I think it's dirt cheap.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:47 AM
Taildragger726

This is something new imposed upon the general membership by the board if directors . Again, there is nothing in the clubs' constitution allowing this. Also, be aware that I am not advocating using clubs facilities without paying club dues. No pay, no play.
Mr. Cain, what you posted is AMA bylaws, there is no penalty for late renewal with the AMA.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:59 AM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

If clubs do not set deadlines then some members will never get around to paying their dues.
Dues payment should not be a problem as it is known all year long when the due date is. Sudden club assessments for unforseen emergencies is another story but having a penalty for late payment is not a bad thing regardless of the size of the club treasury.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:27 AM
phlpsfrnk

there is no penalty for late renewal with the AMA.
Not totally true. One will miss some mailings of the magazine depending on how late.

Regards
Frank
Old 02-09-2011, 01:48 PM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: phlpsfrnk

Not totally true. One will miss some mailings of the magazine depending on how late.

Regards
Frank
But the magazine is free.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:54 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

ORIGINAL: K-Bob

ORIGINAL: phlpsfrnk

Regards
Frank
But the magazine is free.
No - the magazine is included.

There IS a penalty with AMA - you pay for 12 months, but only receive coverage for the remainder of the year.

Officers of AMA-chartered clubs must be AMA members - although being removed as a club officer might be a reward to some folks!
Old 02-09-2011, 02:24 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I'm no accountant, but if this is true your club might not qualify as a non-profit any longer.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:38 PM
tinner1

This strikes me as totally funny! Try paying your house payment late, your cell phone bill, your credit card, car payment etc. They ALL hit you with late fees! I don't see a problem. You know you are going to be in the club so pay your dues....SIMPLE?! My club has a membership cap set by the city (long story) so if you don't pay by December 31, anyone on the waiting list is a new member, and you are out. This whole topic is a "no topic" IMHO. PAY UP or drop out...
Old 02-09-2011, 02:42 PM
KidEpoxy

PF
The trouble for non profits comes when money goes OUT, not when they gather up gobs of it and hold it.

Nonprofits can accumulate assets.
It just has to be careful what it spends money on.

Heck, I can think of one nonprofit that gathered up millions and plays the market with a bunch of it... just a different way to hold assets
Old 02-09-2011, 03:16 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

PF
The trouble for non profits comes when money goes OUT, not when they gather up gobs of it and hold it.

Heck, I can think of one nonprofit that gathered up millions and plays the market with a bunch of it... just a different way to hold assets
The amount you take in (and HOW it was taken in) affects the particular non-profit classification as well as numerous filing requirements, which vary some by state.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:11 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PF

Where was this statement when the nasty little ferrit was here. lmao joe
Old 02-09-2011, 04:32 PM
KidEpoxy

If you are referring to Cisco having a problem with money not being reported as from a taxable revenue operation,
that is a different matter altogether.
Nonprofit groups may operate taxable revenue streams, and pay the tax on that revenue, with caveats.

If a club operates with nonprofit dues accumulating,
that is fine as long as that money is eventually spent in accords with the nonprofit requirements.. the club maynot just disband with the operators pocketing the left over cash for example

The OP should be happy their club hasnt split the BoD into the board and an Executive Cadre made up of paid positions, positions that will obviously be filled by exiting BoD folks.... or as we call it: The Ole CFO Switcharoo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.