Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

I'd like your opinions on shipping to an unconfirmed address.

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

I'd like your opinions on shipping to an unconfirmed address.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:20 AM
ScottMcM
My Feedback: (66)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'd like your opinions on shipping to an unconfirmed address.

I recently sold an engine to a fellow here on RCU. He paid with Paypal, and his address shows as unconfirmed. He only recently joined here(the same day he made the offer on my item). What do you guys think? I have the option of accepting or denying his paypal payment....I've got a little voice saying "be careful". Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:45 AM
VIRGINIA MODEL BUILDERS
My Feedback: (159)

Default RE: I'd like your opinions on shipping to an unconfirmed address.

From a professional seller.Just because it shows uncomfirmed does not mean it is a scam. Since the sale is through PAYPAL the buyer has buyer protection and you have beeen furnished an address that was the address the buyer entered as his address when they registered their account with PAYPAL.
Have you done an online search for the buyers address? Have you e mailed the customer and asked him to verify the shipping address. I can go on and on but, you probably have the jist of it by now. Remember the party has asked you to sell to him. He has given you money which you can verify through your paypal account.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:06 AM
ScottMcM

I did a reverse lookup on his listed phone #, and the listed address is in a different state. I imagine I'll go ahead and ship, but I have sent an email asking him to explain.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:30 AM
ScottMcM

His phone # matches the address provided by RCU on the invoice that was sent to him. The shipping address he listed with paypal is different. Just to be safe, I think I'll give him a phone call. I'm sorry if I come across as being too untrusting, but.......
Old 02-24-2011, 04:48 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

If your little voice is speaking up it might be best to listen. The unfortunate number of scams online make me very wary these days. It makes me sad because this crowd has always historically been very trustworthy
Old 02-24-2011, 04:55 AM
ScottMcM

If he were a longtime member, I would't have a problem, but as I stated earlier, he joined the same day he made the offer to me..I am sure that there is a logical answer to this, but I feel I need to be sure before I ship. Thanks guys.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:15 AM
outdoorhunting

Ok. I don't think I would worry too much. If I bought from you, it might set up the same case, sort of. Check out my address, Florida now. My address now, doesn't match my billing address. My area code doesn't match my address now. Looks like a potential scam?? I live in Florida in the winter, Indiana in the summer.I take my computer back & forth & have my phone on Vonage, therefore, the phone # has a Indiana area code. All I'm saying is just use caution, & go ahead with the sale. If the scamer is really good, you won't know till it's too late. Sad, but true !!
Old 02-24-2011, 05:30 AM
ScottMcM

I imagine I'll ship it signature confirmation...and I would have no problem at all shipping to you...you are a longtime active member. I imagine I'll feel better about shipping, once I speak to him on the phone.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:42 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Scott, I'm always hesitant there also,,

I always google everything, name, email addy, delivery address, Phone number. Typically you find if he is a real person or not.
Once you're confidant it's not a made up name/addy. Be sure and Document the delivery of the item, just in case.

I just sent a $400 Motor to a guy who was brand new to Paypal and Unconfirmed, But I first talked to him on the phone. Through the search verified he worked at the address he was giving me, Saw the same username on a few other related M-boards,, etc.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:18 AM
ScottMcM

I'm pretty sure that this guy is OK, but there are several red flags that popped up. The latest, when I googled the address he wants me to ship to, I found that the address has had several police calls to it, and numerous calls to the neighboring homes in the area. It looks like a "not so good" neighborhood. Still, that doesn't kill the deal. If I can speak to him on the phone, I'm sure I will feel better.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:08 PM
scale only 4 me

When in Doubt,, "Cancel"

Better to loose a sale than to loose money
Old 02-24-2011, 05:17 PM
ScottMcM

I just spoke with the buyer. Turns out he wants me to ship to the address that matches his phone number. It is the same address registered with RCU. I'm glad I spoke to him....I feel much better. Thanks guys for the advice.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:49 AM
carrellh

If I remember correctly, you have to give bank account info to paypal for your address to show as 'verified' or 'confirmed.'
Since I am not a seller, I do not want them to have my bank info. They have my Amex card number and that's as much as I'm willing to give them.
If I were a seller I would set up an account to be used only for paypal and it would never have any of my normal (paycheck) money in it.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:36 AM
scale only 4 me

When you are unconfirmed/unverified, it limits how much you can send/receive also..

I both buy and sell using paypal, I've had them tied to a secondary checking account for about 10 years, A different bank than my primary account. This is an account that never has more than 2-3k in it. Never been an issue