Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Where does FAA airspace start?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Where does FAA airspace start?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 04:54 PM
pipercub4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where does FAA airspace start?

What altitude does common airspace end and FAA airspace start? Some one told me it was 100ft. Just was wondering...
Old 02-28-2011, 05:00 PM
Silent-AV8R

Default RE: Where does FAA airspace start?

As far as the FAA is concerned they own ALL the airspace of the US. Not all of it is controlled (meaning under active control of an ATC facility or tower), but the FAA can regulate aviation activity in all the airspace of the US.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:03 PM
KidEpoxy

Considering some airports have their airspace defined down to the ground,
the answer to your quetsion is 0'

Look at the definition of FAA's airspace "Class G".
FAA rules the roost as to what they allow you to do in their Class G airspace... you cant do what they say you cant do in their air
Old 02-28-2011, 05:07 PM
pipercub4

Ok. Thanks. I will take a look at that.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:00 PM
hook57
My Feedback: (21)

Yep, not worth it......

Old 02-28-2011, 06:29 PM
KidEpoxy

Could be pilot or student pilot requirements to operate in Class G, but it is uncontrolled; even Class E is uncontrolled under VFR.
as Silent and I have mentioned,
"uncontrolled" is not to be confused with /not under FAAs heavy hand and regulation /
FAA can and does say what it will not allow to go on in ClassG

But the answer to his question is still "Zero feet, because its 0 anywhere the FAA wants to say its zero".
We just went thru this in the Aerial Trespassing thread.
Some folks will point out that FAA had to pay a guy when FAA started using the airspace a dozen feet above his house... but what didnt happen was the FAA didnt have to give back the airspace they 'took'. FAA gets to take what they want and maybe you can get paid for it if you're lucky in court

OP
Looking at it the other direction,
how low does FAA allow planes to fly?
Well, the regs are clear-
Sec. 91.119
Minimum safe altitudes: General.

Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:
(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.
(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.
(d) Helicopters. Helicopters may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section if the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface. In addition, each person operating a helicopter shall comply with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the Administrator.
Licensed pilots in certified craft can come down and almost scrape the deck when theres nuthin & nobody around
Old 02-28-2011, 06:38 PM
hook57

If you say so Kid...
Old 02-28-2011, 06:41 PM
KidEpoxy

If you say so Kid
good
I'm glad you agree with me, we can put this to rest then
Old 02-28-2011, 07:45 PM
Live Wire

ORIGINAL: pipercub4

What altitude does common airspace end and FAA airspace start? Some one told me it was 100ft. Just was wondering...
Depends on which end it come out of
Old 02-28-2011, 08:19 PM
cfircav8r
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: hook57

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

Could be pilot or student pilot requirements to operate in Class G, but it is uncontrolled; even Class E is uncontrolled under VFR.
as Silent and I have mentioned,
''uncontrolled'' is not to be confused with /not under FAAs heavy hand and regulation /
FAA can and does say what it will not allow to go on in ClassG

But the answer to his question is still ''Zero feet, because its 0 anywhere the FAA wants to say its zero''.
We just went thru this in the Aerial Trespassing thread.
Some folks will point out that FAA had to pay a guy when FAA started using the airspace a dozen feet above his house... but what didnt happen was the FAA didnt have to give back the airspace they 'took'. FAA gets to take what they want and maybe you can get paid for it if you're lucky in court
If you say so Kid, after all, in the words of Lord Epoxy you do know it all! All the while the blind will lead the blind while the misinformed become more misinformed.
How about someone that does know the actual answer? I am a Certificated Flight Instructor, and have been teaching pilots since 1997. This is not to impress, just show I do have actual knowledge of the rules and regulations. If you are operating an aircraft you are under the FAA's control, in as much as the regulations cover, as soon as the wheels leave the ground, therefore you are under FAA control from just above the ground up to space. Kid and SA are both correct. There are however a myriad of convoluted ways in which this control can and can not manifest, but when it comes to aircraft operation, if there is a general rule, not limited to specifc airspace or area, then there is no place you can fly in the US that it is not in effect.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:31 PM
cfircav8r

On a side note the only thing I can find on "common airspace" is in the E.U. It refers to a system which in some E.U. countries airspace would be basically borderless. This is due to the small size of many countries in Europe and the difficulties with managing military training flights. A logistic nightmare.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:12 PM
Silent-AV8R

The more correct answer is that there is no such thing as "FAA airspace". There is the airspace of the United States of America and the FAA has authority over all of that. Some of that airspace is under positive control and can extend to the ground in many places. But controlled or not, the FAA has authority, granted by Congress, over all the airspace of the USA. In other words, the FAA can make rules regarding who does what and how in the airspace of the USA.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:33 AM
hook57

Old 03-01-2011, 05:49 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are we going to start with this discussion again?

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10167174/anchors_10167174/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#10167174[/link]

And after reading all the posts, What does it have to do with the AMA?

Rafael
Old 03-01-2011, 06:02 AM
Silent-AV8R

As I stated before I deleted it, the FAA does not own the NAS as Silent stated,
I tried to clarify that colloquial use of "own" to use the more correct "under the authority" of term. I also stated twice about the various levels of controlled airspace. I did fail to make the distinction about where "space" started.

So I am unclear, if my statement is incorrect/inaccurate does that mean that there are indeed parts of the airspace of the US that the FAA does not have authority over? Again recognizing the difference between positive control and regulatory authority.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:11 AM
hook57

Old 03-01-2011, 06:51 AM
hook57

Old 03-01-2011, 07:01 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

As I stated before I deleted it, the FAA does not own the NAS as Silent stated,
I tried to clarify that colloquial use of ''own'' to use the more correct ''under the authority'' of term. I also stated twice about the various levels of controlled airspace. I did fail to make the distinction about where ''space'' started.

So I am unclear, if my statement is incorrect/inaccurate does that mean that there are indeed parts of the airspace of the US that the FAA does not have authority over? Again recognizing the difference between positive control and regulatory authority.
Well of course, and I would hope that a CFI with 14 years of experience would know the difference.
I'm not the CFI. Just a confused citizen. I didn't even sleep at a Holicay Inn Select last night!!

That controlled airspace (please don't start the navigable airspace debate) is everywhere is absurd.
I agree and never stated such. I thought I was clear in saying that there are areas of controlled airspace and ares that are not. However, it is still my understanding that the FAA has the authority to regulate what goes on in ALL the airspace, controlled (positive or ATC) or not.

SO the bottom line, are there areas of airspace in the US where the FAA has no authority to regulate? In other words, are there places where I can fly something without any concern that the FAA can either regulate my actions or otherwise assert any authority?

Old 03-01-2011, 07:11 AM
cfircav8r

Hook please tell me in what portion of the airspace, in the U.S.A., do the FAR's not have to be followed. The FAA has direct control, IE. class B airspace, or indirect control, the FAR's, over aircraft operation the second they leave the ground. The control of the airspace is indeed limited, but over aircraft operation it is only limited by the scope of the FAR's, which can be changed. So as far as aircraft operation is concerned they basically "own all of the airspace." You used the term certificated as if I thought that involves control. No I know that just means you have shown you know and can abide by the standards set forth by the FAA. Whether you are certificated or not does not dictate whether or not you have to follow the FAR's. The FAR's are a form of indirect control. If you are found in violation of the FAR's then you can be punished. There is not a portion of airspace in which at least one FAR is not in effect. Is there anywhere that you can take a passenger up and do aerobatics without parachutes being worn for example (91.307c). That my friend is control. Yes I agree my choice of the term "general rule'" was vague. Also what on Gods green earth does it matter if I defined space?

P.S. since we are dealing with regular people and not lawyers I use the terms "own" and "control" in the layman's terms.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:22 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree that this thread has nothing to do with the AMA. I was willing to let it go for a day to see if perhaps it might possible work it's way to being applicable to the AMA forum, but I see nothing of that sort happening. I'm moving the thread.

Thread moved to: All Forums >> Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more >> The Clubhouse

Ken
Old 03-01-2011, 07:42 AM
baronbrian
My Feedback: (13)

This is why I'm glad I fly at an Air Force Base
Old 03-01-2011, 11:22 AM
hook57

Old 03-01-2011, 11:23 AM
hook57

ORIGINAL: Brian Dorff

This is why I'm glad I fly at an Air Force Base
Like one of you have never spilled out of the top, the side, or the bottom.....
Old 03-01-2011, 11:25 AM
hook57

Old 03-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Silent-AV8R

It's not a ''simple'' yes, but yes.

So there are in fact areas where the FAA has absolutely no authority? When I say authority I mean that they are not the ones who get to define what is, and is not, permitted to happen. Even Class G airspace falls under the authority of the FAA, I mean they define what it is so how would that not be under their authority?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.