Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Hobby Stores- Stop selling UAV! You idiots!!!

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Hobby Stores- Stop selling UAV! You idiots!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 06:36 AM
pflynn73
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobby Stores- Stop selling UAV! You idiots!!!

Why in the hell are hobby stores selling anything that can be controlled w/o full use of a transmitter and a visual on the plane. Any store that does this must have an owner that is dumber than dirt. All modelers join in and boycott any store that sells this crap. These models are useless! I just voiced my opinion to a store I visited on vacation.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:11 AM
vpresley
My Feedback: (162)

Default RE: Hobby Stores- Stop selling UAV! You idiots!!!

Yo DUDE Chill ! If its not against the law your RANT is pointless. Yes it can cause problems, but again if its not against the law. America, land of the free, home of the brave, and if its not against the law you can do it. Plus you should not be name calling.

Vince
Old 03-01-2011, 07:16 AM
warningshot

ORIGINAL: pflynn73

Why in the hell are hobby stores selling anyting that can be controlled w/o full use of a transmitter and a visual on the plane. Any store that does this must have an owner that is dumber than dirt. All modelers join in and boycott any store that sells this crap. These models are useless! I just voiced my opinion to a store I visited on vacation. Troy you are on the top of the list - you idiot.
Can it be used on a model boat? Can it be used on a model car? Anybody that can not understand this must ****** than dirt.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:23 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Thread moved to: All Forums >> Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more >> The Clubhouse

Reason: Thread does not apply to the AMA

Ken
Old 03-01-2011, 07:33 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They can sell what ever they want IMO. In any case at the price they sell for it takes 99% of modelers
out of the equation anyway.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:59 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

What product are we talking about exactly?
Old 03-01-2011, 10:03 AM
csbdr
My Feedback: (1)

Unmanned Aerial Vehicles   ie:  drones

http://diydrones.com/

I assume.....
Old 03-01-2011, 04:28 PM
pflynn73

Took off the name calling. I only said idiot, but, vpresly you are right. TBM models. Advertises how we can load them w/ 150 lbs of pesticides or meds. We can also fly them at 12000 feet. Another UAV has an on board generator and is larger. I expect better from a company that sells to hobbyist. The items that TBM is selling should and will be illegal to fly.
IRA d Im not worried about modelers.
Hobby Town sells a UAV that can be programmed and controlled by i phone.
This is why the FAA and Govt are getting involved. Wake up hobby shop owners the quick buck is not worth ending all of this.
Warning shot- not talking about cars and boats only planes. That is why my title says UAV.
Yes I know technically our toy planes are UAVs. Our toys require transmitters and a visual and have far less capabalities.

Im the only one with this view and that is fine.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:27 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

People have been flying uav's for years why should they be illegal? Also you have to understand if someone wants to use a model or uav to do
somthing criminal the fact that the uav may be illegal will not stop them.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:58 PM
pflynn73

Do you think that 12000 ft is acceptable? Do you think flying a model without a visual is acceptable? If you do - we differ greatly. It will not stop a criminal act. However, it could cause the end of flying toy airplanes legally. Should bombs be legal even though it wont stop criminals from using them.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:06 PM
Nakajima

ORIGINAL: pflynn73

Do you think that 12000 ft is acceptable? Do you think flying a model without a visual is acceptable?
*shrug* . . . Yes
Old 03-02-2011, 04:22 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let them sell what they want. It's not the model shop's job to police what modellers do with their stuff, and licensed UAV ops need a handy place to go to get their UAV stuff.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:14 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

True that criminals will do as they please whether it's illegal or not, but if there is no flying site or training available to learn to use them it will make it a lot harder to learn how to use them. Personally, I can think of a dozen easier and more effective ways to deliver a chemical agent or explosives to a target than with a UAV, but if they are that worried about it it shouldn't be too hard to put regulations in place to limit access by criminals. A licensing procedure would make sense for starters, along with requiring takeoffs and landings to be done at registered airstrips. On defining the issue, I figure line of sight and autonomy should be the demarcation. If you are flying beyond line of sight and have navigation equipment on board, your craft is a UAV. If not, it's a hobby model.