The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Phasing out 72 Mhz.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:04 AM
markhamregular

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Phasing out 72 Mhz.

Is it true that eventually 72 Mhz radios will be phased out? And if so, is there any discussion going on about the time frame.

Thanks,

Old 03-10-2011, 10:46 AM
ggraham500
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Phasing out 72 Mhz.

I doubt that will happen for many years to come. There are still pilots using a "gold" stickered AM radio. Crystals are still available. But new AM radios are not available for sale.

There may be a diminished volume of 72MHz radios sold in the future because the market certainly is changing in favor of the 2.4GHz bands. But again there will be pilots using a 72MHz radio for years to come. Crystals are still available.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:27 PM
ira d

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Are you talking about new radios for sale by the manufactor? If so yes, But as far as being able
to use them I dont see that changing anytime soon.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:54 PM
markhamregular

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was thinking about buying another 72Mhz for my second plane, and someone mentioned phasing out to me.
I was thinking about a 2.4 Futaba 7C for my second plane, but money is scarce lately so I guess a 4 channels 72 Mhz will be my choice.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:24 PM
yard-dart
My Feedback: (35)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: harryangus

I was thinking about buying another 72Mhz for my second plane, and someone mentioned phasing out to me.
I was thinking about a 2.4 Futaba 7C for my second plane, but money is scarce lately so I guess a 4 channels 72 Mhz will be my choice.

You can buy a 4 channel 2.4 system for less than $100. You can step up to a 6 channel system for under $200. Once you get above 6 channels, the price starts going up significantly.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: harryangus

I was thinking about a 2.4 Futaba 7C for my second plane, but money is scarce lately so I guess a 4 channels 72 Mhz will be my choice.

As others post I so believe. There is a thread in the clubhouse that you may care to read.over about club doings concerning 2.4.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10386364/tm.htm

If you are a little tight strapped, just get another receiver for your current radio. They are inexpensive now. On the other hand some good buys are available on eBay as most are going to 2.4. Thing is that many large events are going to 2.4 only. I think that is ludicrous, however that is their choice. OTOH, it makes me somewhat unsettled that the AMA Nats Management (the EC) is allowing the various event directors to do so at the NATs which is financed with Member Dues monies. OOPs, another whole different story!!!!

Very few 2.4 radios have all the goodies with them so you will have to buy servos, batteries, swirch harness and all that jazz extra.
I picked up a dozen digital JR servos on eBay for real cheap as when the 7X came with servos, a number of folks sold the supplied digital servos so as to get servos with more torque than the standards. Since I fly smaller models than most, and any larger models are scale, then I don't need the big stuff. Think about that.
Last summer, I needed a better Buddie Box for my JR radios used in trainers. The old one was the old heavy and kind of hard to hold. I got a brand new one off eBay for $10.00 plus shipping. I placed a crystal and a battery in it. Just like a new one!

So look around. I just bought a DX8 and it has no extras, just a transmitter, 1 receiver and a charger thing for that dumb-butted Tmtr. battery set-up. YUCK!

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:53 PM
crash1ace

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Once again!!!! There are Absolutely NO plans to phase out the 72Mhz anytime soon! as said so by both the AMA (look on the website) itself and by the FCC . Way too much of the 72Mhz equipment is out there, and would be costly to drop (again as stated by AMA and FCC). Both the 72 and the 2.4 will live happy togethere for years to come!
Old 03-10-2011, 09:43 PM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: crash1ace

Once again!!!! There are Absolutely NO plans to phase out the 72Mhz anytime soon! as said so by both the AMA (look on the website) itself and by the FCC . Way too much of the 72Mhz equipment is out there, and would be costly to drop (again as stated by AMA and FCC). Both the 72 and the 2.4 will live happy togethere for years to come!
IIRC, no one said there was such a plan. Of course some plans do change and can do so both frequently and/or quickly.

When the AMA EC allows NATs event directors to not honor 72 MHz in the AMA National Championships, then the end is in sight by those that can see. The NATs has always been and IMO, should always be available to ANY AMA Member who can get there with a model that fits within the rules for the selected event. As of this year certain events - Pattern for one - will not honor 72 MHz.
To me, this is a travesty, even if just one person might be denied the privilege of flying at the AMA Nats, and this is WRONG! If an event is open to 72 MHz and no one shows, so what, it was available. If closed and one person shows and is denied, then the sport is the real loser.
Don't go use any other event except for the NATS. Other events are PRIVATELY hosted events and in my opinion, the sponsors are welcome to set their own rules. The NATs are funded by the AMA membership, especially when they lose money. It's apples and oranges.

Maybe a little off topic, but then there is some background information for the OP and others reading the thread to use to make learned decisions, whichever direction their "learned" directs them. Their choice. OTOH, crash1ace, my experiences with various government agencies, FCC, FAA and IRS especially, along with AMA, do not direct me in your direction.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:22 AM
crash1ace

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just stick to the 72Mhz. Dont pay no mind to all this 2.4 stuff. To me, going to any event, even the NATS with all this uncontrolled 2.4 stuff is dangerous and uncontrolled and I dont feel safe around it. I have no problem with radio in-pounds and freq tags, and it is suppose to keep people on their toes when at the field to not turn radios on at the wrong time without that pin in hand.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:31 AM
ira d

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just stick to the 72Mhz. Dont pay no mind to all this 2.4 stuff. To me, going to any event, even the NATS with all this uncontrolled 2.4 stuff is dangerous and uncontrolled and I dont feel safe around it. I have no problem with radio in-pounds and freq tags, and it is suppose to keep people on their toes when at the field to not turn radios on at the wrong time without that pin in hand.
The good thing about 2.4 is that even if someone does turn on accidently which can happen in spite of
the best controls nothing will happen and that is the reason some events wont allow 72mhz.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:02 AM
markhamregular

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The 2.4 is safer but for decades people have flown the 72 with not much problem.
At my field, almost everybody has 2.4. Rarely do I see 1 or 2 cards of 72 flyers in the board
So the probability of anyone having the same chanel at the same time is close to nil.
I will stick to the 72 until I can afford a very good 2.4.

Thanks for all your comments
Old 03-11-2011, 11:51 AM
cj_rumley

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ira d

The good thing about 2.4 is that even if someone does turn on accidently which can happen in spite of
the best controls nothing will happen and that is the reason some events wont allow 72mhz.
Yep, that's one good reason. Another one is that it allows multiple events to be held simultaneously without the need for cumbersome and often impractical frequency coordination. Muncie has picked up on that one for some events the AMA flying site. By extension, guys flying as indies or at a club sites are immune from interference that used to be of concern, involving unknown and uncontrolled users of the spectrum allocated to R/C in a surrounding area encompassing about 30 sq mi.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:19 PM
Oberst
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

They are trying, but I'm keeping my 72 and will buy more in the future. I don't trust 2.4, I've seen many fail and I put way too much money into my planes to risk a binding failures in flight etc. I'm reading that some 2.4 radio's are still having issues and are being recalled for repairs. I'll just use 2.4 for my indoor models where they belong. IMHO

Pete
Old 03-11-2011, 01:42 PM
cj_rumley

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Oberst

They are trying, but I'm keeping my 72 and will buy more in the future. I don't trust 2.4, I've seen many fail and I put way too much money into my planes to risk a binding failures in flight etc. I'm reading that some 2.4 radio's are still having issues and are being recalled for repairs. I'll just use 2.4 for my indoor models where they belong. IMHO

Pete
Be not the first by whom the new are tried, Nor yet the last to lay the old aside - Alexander Pope

There's wiggle room between those extremes, and fortunately nobody to force you when to go with the flow.......mostly. Hoss did bring up an instance where the decision is forced on you, but perhaps there are more that will benefit than lose by it. From my viewpoint, any cost of SS radio gear would be minor compared to the expense involved in having to travel to Muncie to participate in an event.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:10 PM
yard-dart
My Feedback: (35)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There's absolutely nothing wrong with 72 mhz systems. They are very reliable and I've heard nothing of that frequency being banned. More and more people are going to 2.4, as I have, but I do still own and operate a 72 mhz sytem. The cool thing about 72 mhz is that since hardly anyone as using it anymore, it's much less likely anyone else will be needing the same channel as you. As for 2.4 not being reliable, I've not had one single issue since I purchased mine. I have the Hitec Aurora 9 and absolutely love it. So, if you ever decide to go 2.4, this radio (and it's receivers) is the most affordable out there. It's also the most user friendly I've seen.

The only down side to 72 mhz is the fact that many events are 2.4 only now. The reason they've gone this route is to eliminate the possibility of same-channel interference. So, if there's no problems at your flying site with 72 mhz, and you don't plan on attending any large events, there's absolutely nothing wrong with staying with your current system.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:24 PM
crash1ace

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I like going to events. I dont like being told that an event is 2.4, that just pisses me off. I have way too much invested in 72Mhz and wont spent any more. Now if the event CD
wants to buy me or loan me a 2.4 maybe. I just dont like those tiny antennas. I feel safer with the good ol long one and I still like the idea of frequency control like we have at my club which makes the 2.4 guys pin there radios just like the 72 or else they dont fly,period!
Old 03-11-2011, 07:36 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thread moved from : All Forums >> RC Airplanes >> AMA Discussions

To: All Forums >> Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more >> The Clubhouse

Reason: Not AMA related
Old 03-11-2011, 08:13 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I like going to events. I dont like being told that an event is 2.4, that just pisses me off. I have way too much invested in 72Mhz and wont spent any more. Now if the event CD
wants to buy me or loan me a 2.4 maybe. I just dont like those tiny antennas. I feel safer with the good ol long one and I still like the idea of frequency control like we have at my club which makes the 2.4 guys pin there radios just like the 72 or else they dont fly,period!
Why would you want people flying 2.4 pin their radios??
Makes absolutely no sense.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:07 PM
ira d

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: lopflyers

Why would you want people flying 2.4 pin their radios??
Makes absolutely no sense.

At our club because a lot of guys were using both 72mhz and 2.4 when 2.4 first came out they wanted people to stay in the practice of pulling a pin
before they operated a radio.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I believe Joe Nall HAS outlawed 72 MHz....
Old 03-11-2011, 09:24 PM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

At our club because a lot of guys were using both 72mhz and 2.4 when 2.4 first came out they wanted people to stay in the practice of pulling a pin
before they operated a radio.
And to say nothing about forgetting to pull the antenna out when using the 72MHz after some 2.4 time. [:-]
Old 03-11-2011, 09:58 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

72 MHZ will be around for a long time to come. I was the second one to convert to 2.4 at our club field (about 2 1/2 years ago) and a lot of guys thought I was nuts. Now, 72 is definitely the minority. I always had great luck with 72 and still don't believe there's anything wrong with it per se. What attracted me to 2.4 was that some retard couldn't shoot me down because he suddenly decided to check his airplane in the pits. (I've seen it happen) Anyone who chooses to stick with 72 will eventually be forced out not by the AMA or FCC, but by the radio manufacturers themselves. At the LHS, 72 stuff is virtually non-existant. Used RX's are dirt-cheap around here, another bonus for the 72 diehards. What pi$$es me off more than anything else is that the AMA will sanction a contest or meet that forbids 72MHZ. Banning a proven, reliable technology simply because it makes a bit more work for the CD is NOT something the AMA should condone. As long as 72 is viable and legal, the AMA should give it equal footing with 2.4. Are you listening, Muncie?
Old 03-12-2011, 12:35 AM
richie5150

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Now that's a perfect answer rcguy59 !! I went Spektrum in 2009 also and there were, and still are, so many guys with 2 or 3 dozen airplanes, all with 72Mhz receivers and radios. It's wrong to force these guys out of events based on what ??... technology ?? The airplane will only fly as well as the pilot who controls it and the builders technique allows. !!! The signal doesn't fly anything. If events go 2.4 only, a lot of pilots won't participate. The event will suffer, resulting in loss of potential club members, hobby shop sales,and AMA memberships. I hope the AMA's stance is backing the flyers who support them. What's next ??
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk24870.gif
Views:	21
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	1577333   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87860.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	1577334  
Old 03-12-2011, 04:32 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I can't understand why some of you guys resist 2.4ghz radios so hard. They're not excessively expensive, and us car guys absolutely adore them. We don't have issues with binds dropping, we don't have glitch shenanigans, we don't have reliability issues, and we beat the snot out of our receivers. The only time ours fail is when they're literally submerged or there's physical damage from a nasty crash involving either a metal pole, tree, large rock or full size car.

2.4 is the future, guys.

Now do I think the AMA should force people onto 2.4 to compete? No. ROAR doesn't do that, so neither should the AMA. But if you look at the driver's stand at any ROAR race you're not going to see very many antennas sticking up...
Old 03-12-2011, 04:33 AM
Dave

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The 2.4GHz RC is on borrowed time in urban areas therefore we should hold on to our assigned frequencies on 27MHz,50MHz and 72MHz band.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service