Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Why don't many people build RC airplane kits anymore?

ORIGINAL: joebahl

Again most who BUILD kits or scratch build dont realy care ,so now what ? So why are they here talking about why people are not building kits any more,like they would know.lmao
    To me it was and still is just a simple question and early on I gave my answer and here it is again.

Because there is only a handful of affordable kit's still being manufactured these days to build, nothing like 30-40 years ago. You can still get some incredible giant scale kits but many do not have the resources to get in that deep. So I scratch build, that allows me to build anything I can dream up.

Bob
    Fly It Like You Stole It!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Pure Comedy how do you find the time with all that building and public service stuff you do ,LMAO if nothing else you're entertaining

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

ORIGINAL: warbird addict

Aside from that I think you probably were beastfed till you were Like 45 and spent most of your time living in your mommy's basement, that scenario certainly would explain alot hypotheticly speaking of course, LMFAO I'm way past taking you even remotely serious anymore DUDE you need serious PROFESSIONAL HELP there cannot be any other explaination for it, Thanks for the laugh Piggy, I got it!!!!!!! your just trolling cuz there's no way in hell anybody that far out there can even be remotely serious, OK you Got me I took the bait LOL
    [I just thought I'd save this post before he sobers up and tries to delete it......]
    \"Q\" If you could have one super power what would it be?
    \"A\" The ability to leap tall blondes without them screaming

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Do you think a guy who likes buying arfs knows why he has never tried to build a kit ?
    Yes, I certainly do. Why wouldn't he?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Again most who BUILD kits or scratch build dont realy care ,so now what ? So why are they here talking about why people are not building kits any more,like they would know.lmao
    If by "they", you mean ARF flyers, who would know better the answer to the OP's question than someone who doesn't build kits?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: 804

If by ''they'', you mean ARF flyers, who would know better the answer to the OP's question than someone who doesn't build kits?
    Well Then ,give it your best shot of explaining it to us then. joe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If by ''they'', you mean ARF flyers, who would know better the answer to the OP's question than someone who doesn't build kits?
    Well Then ,give it your best shot of explaining it to us then. joe
    Well, Joe, the answer is unique to everyone, and if you read this whole thread, you'll find plenty of insight.
    Unlike a lot of guys here, I don't presume to speak for anyone but myself.
    Like you, I am a carpenter, and unlike you, the last thing I want to do after a day of planning, cutting, sanding, gluing, and fastening wood,
    is to come home and do it all over again.
    I have plenty of time, I just don't want to build. I want to fly.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Have a holly jolly Christmas..............

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I bel;ieve there are alot of guys who just want to fly and not build for one reason or the other .But also i think there are more kit builders than we all think,just because they post in forums does not mean they dont exist.Over the last couple years i have seen alot small lazer cutting kit companys pop up to fill the void of kit companys that have gone under but with new kits that are alot easyer to put together. I at one time i did feel like some here to come home after work tired and try to build a plane but seeking to fly different planes made me realize if i did not build i would be stuck looking at the same arfs as any other flyer so i started to scratch build my own. Yes it takes time and i get tired but when i think of showing up to a water funfly with a hanger 9 cub on floats like 10 other guys there, its worth it to me. I build a couple hours every day ,in balsa or foam and i like it as much as flying now . joe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I bel;ieve there are alot of guys who just want to fly and not build for one reason or the other .But also i think there are more kit builders than we all think,just because they post in forums does not mean they dont exist.Over the last couple years i have seen alot small lazer cutting kit companys pop up to fill the void of kit companys that have gone under but with new kits that are alot easyer to put together. I at one time i did feel like some here to come home after work tired and try to build a plane but seeking to fly different planes made me realize if i did not build i would be stuck looking at the same arfs as any other flyer so i started to scratch build my own. Yes it takes time and i get tired but when i think of showing up to a water funfly with a hanger 9 cub on floats like 10 other guys there, its worth it to me. I build a couple hours every day ,in balsa or foam and i like it as much as flying now . joe

It's just gotten boring to walk through the pits at AMA contests where ARFs dominate the class.
    It used to be a real adventure to show up at a regional contest and take in all the personal creativity, innovation and craftsmanship. It really was fun to be part of the "one upmanship" culture and then to be able to see our creations in action.
    Same goes with hotrod car shows..I get a bigger kick out of walking through the "rat rod" area than I do walking through the areas that are packed with pre-engineered, "cookie cutter " rods. ..but I like it all regardless.
    WHO GUNNA FEED MAW KEEEIDS..???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Why don't many people build RC airplane kits anymore?

There are as you said a few kits out there these days but I can remember a time when the shelves at the hobby shops were filled with nothing but kits, literally and I could always find something I wanted to build. Today in all the hobby shops I frequent there are maybe 2-4 kits on the shelves and they are usually the same kits, 4* 40, 4* 60, 4* 120, Rascal, Astro Hog really not much more than that, and with those choices, I would't even impulse buy. So, I usually scratch build or on occasions I have been know to buy a $1000.00 ARF, bring it home, strip it and then proceed to give it a full on makeover, but thats just me.

Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: sensei

Why don't many people build RC airplane kits anymore?

There are as you said a few kits out there these days but I can remember a time when the shelves at the hobby shops were filled with nothing but kits, literally and I could always find something I wanted to build. Today in all the hobby shops I frequent there are maybe 2-4 kits on the shelves and they are usually the same kits, 4* 40, 4* 60, 4* 120, Rascal, Astro Hog really not much more than that, and with those choices, I would't even impulse buy. So, I usually scratch build or on occasions I have been know to buy a $1000.00 ARF, bring it home, strip it and then proceed to give it a full on makeover, but thats just me.

Bob
    Lets face it your local hobbyshop is now trying to compete with the internet now a days and hobbyking is in that mix too. If you look at laser cutting company's you will find some very nice stuff you can build and alot of it is cheaper than you think. Free plans online are giving out some great desighns that most have never seen here and in other countrys too. I just found my next winter build online and it did not cost me a dime , you wont see this at your club field any time soon. joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zx70568.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	1833696  

[8D] The Astro Hog that Sensei mentions has a sister , the "Hog Bipe" , and I've been hanging on to an unopened one that I figure will likely be my last kit built model plane . As one who likes both Home built and ARF , I promise to judge neither extreme in this discussion since your fun is not up to my , or anyone else's , judgement . No one is "better" at either extreme , and anyone who needs to consider themselves better than their fellow RCers had best take a long look at themselves and how the rest of the world sees them . One guy has fun building ? Great ! , enjoy your creation ! ..... One guy flys ARF only ? Great ! , it's good to see someone havin a ball flying . Either way , If the guy holding the TX is having fun , NO ONE has the right to denigrate that fun !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You are so right, they can't compete with the internet, not even close, times have changed and so have we all.

Hey maybe we should start a thread that the true beast in killing our hobby is the advent of the internet...

Just kidding

Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: init4fun

[8D] The Astro Hog that Sensei mentions has a sister , the ''Hog Bipe'' , and I've been hanging on to an unopened one that I figure will likely be my last kit built model plane . As one who likes both Home built and ARF , I promise to judge neither extreme in this discussion since your fun is not up to my , or anyone else's , judgement . No one is ''better'' at either extreme , and anyone who needs to consider themselves better than their fellow RCers had best take a long look at themselves and how the rest of the world sees them . One guy has fun building ? Great ! , enjoy your creation ! ..... One guy flys ARF only ? Great ! , it's good to see someone havin a ball flying . Either way , If the guy holding the TX is having fun , NO ONE has the right to denigrate that fun !
    I wish I could still walk into the hobby shop and buy the Astro Hog Bipe, You know I rarely even go to the hobby shop anymore because I buy almost everything I need on line these days.[&:]

Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[8D] The Astro Hog that Sensei mentions has a sister , the ''Hog Bipe'' , and I've been hanging on to an unopened one that I figure will likely be my last kit built model plane . As one who likes both Home built and ARF , I promise to judge neither extreme in this discussion since your fun is not up to my , or anyone else's , judgement . No one is ''better'' at either extreme , and anyone who needs to consider themselves better than their fellow RCers had best take a long look at themselves and how the rest of the world sees them . One guy has fun building ? Great ! , enjoy your creation ! ..... One guy flys ARF only ? Great ! , it's good to see someone havin a ball flying . Either way , If the guy holding the TX is having fun , NO ONE has the right to denigrate that fun !
    You still dont get it ,i will try one more time. Most who enjoy building and flying what they made with their own two hands don't give a rats ars what arf some guy is flyin at their field as long as we are not flying them. I dont know how i can put this so it does not offend anyone but its not about what anyone flys its about what we like to build and fly. joe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You still dont get it ,i will try one more time. Most who enjoy building and flying what they made with their own two hands don't give a rats ars what arf some guy is flyin at their field as long as we are not flying them. I dont know how i can put this so it does not offend anyone but its not about what anyone flys its about what we like to build and fly. joe
    I do care because I enjoy the bond of friends I have made over the years both builders and just ARF flyers alike, I have devoted much of my time in helping others in achieving their personal goals in whatever there interest has been. I think no mater what we all are in the same brotherhood, We all love aviation.

Bob

[8D] Yes Joe , I DO get it , , I get that some people consider themselves "Better" modelers just because they grow their own Balsa . Now , You personally may not be of that mindset , GREAT ! , I'm happy that you don't look down on anyone's enjoyment of what model airplanes mean to them . But rest assured , the folks who post garbage like "I'd rather die than be seen flying an ARF" most certainly DO think they're "better" than everyone else , and it's plain out disgusting to see . What an ugly facet of Human nature this "I'm better than you because......" is !

At some point , It ceases to be about toy airplanes , and goes right into the ugly side of folks needing to prop themselves up by knocking others . Just ask any Harley Davidson owner about how much "better" of a Biker he is cause he don't ride "Rice Burners" . He'll tell ya just HOW great he is .....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Subject: Why don't many people build RC airplane kits anymore?
    The answer is quite simple. Life has gotten more complex with people spending greater hours at work, working extended days, commuting extended miles, and etc. ARF's have come down in price, where to build costs more than to purchase, install equipment, fly. Gone are the days where one left the office or workplace promptly and was at home in 20 minutes or less.

Alternate building materials such as construction insulation 0.25 in. (6mm) thick foam and corrugated signage material have lead to a plethora of designs quick and easy to build, that are low cost, durable, and easy to replicate. Electric motors have simplified installation, even usage of double stick tape to fasten Velcro removal systems for batteries, receivers, servos mounted near control systems have made standard kit construction techniques obsolete. Drop in battery prices allows one to take with them a half dozen extra batteries, with extended flight times to match those of nitro fueled aircraft. Those into slow duration flying can chop the throttle completely in a gentle updraft and soar those Texaco-like aircraft in a summer thermal.

Those who used to bring out a .40 to .65 nitro powered aircraft now are showing up at the field with one or more .20 sized ARF electric warbirds, still having the same fun as with the nitro planes.

Due to ARF's, a remaining faithful in the kit building genre following have lead to cottage industries making short and long kits of legacy aircraft, to satisfy those building kits. If manufacturers would explore some of these alternative construction materials with ability to bring down kit prices may see a following still in kit building.
    George Hostler
    Clovis MADS AMA Club, Vintage R/C Society (VRCS)
    And we know love by this, that He laid down His life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 1 John 3:16

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[8D] Yes Joe , I DO get it , , I get that some people consider themselves ''Better'' modelers just because they grow their own Balsa . Now , You personally may not be of that mindset , GREAT ! , I'm happy that you don't look down on anyone's enjoyment of what model airplanes mean to them . But rest assured , the folks who post garbage like ''I'd rather die than be seen flying an ARF'' most certainly DO think they're ''better'' than everyone else , and it's plain out disgusting to see . What an ugly facet of Human nature this ''I'm better than you because......'' is !

At some point , It ceases to be about toy airplanes , and goes right into the ugly side of folks needing to prop themselves up by knocking others . Just ask any Harley Davidson owner about how much ''better'' of a Biker he is cause he don't ride ''Rice Burners'' . He'll tell ya just HOW great he is .....
    I dont think any modeler is better than anyone else and i have seen some say this but i have also seen guys who love their arfs try to talk a builder into going to get a bind and fly plane for some reason. I have desighned planes that never did fly ,did i fail or waist my time probly but i tried. As far ase harleys go's this is my barny bike, i have chopped a 72 -750 honda and owned a goldwing or two so i dont fit in that mix either. joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ki19463.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	1833727  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

, you wont see this at your club field any time soon. joe
    Bet you're right about that!
    What the heck is it?
    Looks like a 3-way collision between a Pawnee, Ercoupe and an ultralight.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: init4fun But rest assured , the folks who post garbage like ''I'd rather die than be seen flying an ARF'' most certainly DO think they're ''better'' than everyone else , and it's plain out disgusting to see . What an ugly facet of Human nature this ''I'm better than you because......'' is ! At some point , It ceases to be about toy airplanes , and goes right into the ugly side of folks needing to prop themselves up by knocking others . Just ask any Harley Davidson owner about how much ''better'' of a Biker he is cause he don't ride ''Rice Burners''. He'll tell ya just HOW great he is .....
    I don't think any modeler is better than anyone else and i have seen some say this but i have also seen guys who love their arfs try to talk a builder into going to get a bind and fly plane for some reason. I have designed planes that never did fly, did i fail or waste my time prob'ly but i tried. As far as harleys go's this is my barny bike, i have chopped a 72 -750 honda and owned a goldwing or two so i don't fit in that mix either. joe
    Nice bike, Joel. I still ride, I have a 1987 LS650 Suzuki Savage and a 1971 Honda CB100.

Oh, I've been to various motorcycle rides and meets. Overall including Harley owners, most really don't care what bike one rides. In any event, you'll find those who are difficult and exclusive, but fortunately they are few. The same it is with those who fly. Out on the flying field, most don't care what plane you fly, whether ARF or kit built. That fact that one is out there having fun is the most important.

Life is too short to heed the continual bickering by a few. I'd prefer to continue building my aircraft, equipping and repairing ARF's where I have them, and let the rest of the world pass me by when they get unreasonably critical. Share my success stories, mention but move on when I have a non-success (crash or other fault). That I think is more important.
    George Hostler
    Clovis MADS AMA Club, Vintage R/C Society (VRCS)
    And we know love by this, that He laid down His life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 1 John 3:16

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: GallopingGhostler

Subject: Why don't many people build RC airplane kits anymore?
    The answer is quite simple. Life has gotten more complex with people spending greater hours at work, working extended days, commuting extended miles, and etc. ARF's have come down in price, where to build costs more than to purchase, install equipment, fly. Gone are the days where one left the office or workplace promptly and was at home in 20 minutes or less.

Alternate building materials such as construction insulation 0.25 in. (6mm) thick foam and corrugated signage material have lead to a plethora of designs quick and easy to build, that are low cost, durable, and easy to replicate. Electric motors have simplified installation, even usage of double stick tape to fasten Velcro removal systems for batteries, receivers, servos mounted near control systems have made standard kit construction techniques obsolete. Drop in battery prices allows one to take with them a half dozen extra batteries, with extended flight times to match those of nitro fueled aircraft. Those into slow duration flying can chop the throttle completely in a gentle updraft and soar those Texaco-like aircraft in a summer thermal.

Those who used to bring out a .40 to .65 nitro powered aircraft now are showing up at the field with one or more .20 sized ARF electric warbirds, still having the same fun as with the nitro planes.

Due to ARF's, a remaining faithful in the kit building genre following have lead to cottage industries making short and long kits of legacy aircraft, to satisfy those building kits. If manufacturers would explore some of these alternative construction materials with ability to bring down kit prices may see a following still in kit building.
    [link]http://www.stlouisfed.org/publications/re/articles/?id=43[/link]
    GG...this is just the 1st source I looked at today.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

, you wont see this at your club field any time soon. joe
    Bet you're right about that!
    What the heck is it?
    Looks like a 3-way collision between a Pawnee, Ercoupe and an ultralight.
    Its called a air truk and one like it was in a mad max movie . I like it because its a rare one that few model and there are only two plans of it that i have found. Iam building a 40 nitro size but there is a 1/3 scale plan some where out there. joe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: sensei

Because there is only a handful of affordable kit's still being manufactured these days to build...

Bob
    In this "chicken before the egg" example, the market demand for kits shrivelled up and died before the kits became harder to come by.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: GallopingGhostler

ORIGINAL: init4fun But rest assured , the folks who post garbage like ''I'd rather die than be seen flying an ARF'' most certainly DO think they're ''better'' than everyone else , and it's plain out disgusting to see . What an ugly facet of Human nature this ''I'm better than you because......'' is ! At some point , It ceases to be about toy airplanes , and goes right into the ugly side of folks needing to prop themselves up by knocking others . Just ask any Harley Davidson owner about how much ''better'' of a Biker he is cause he don't ride ''Rice Burners''. He'll tell ya just HOW great he is .....
    I don't think any modeler is better than anyone else and i have seen some say this but i have also seen guys who love their arfs try to talk a builder into going to get a bind and fly plane for some reason. I have designed planes that never did fly, did i fail or waste my time prob'ly but i tried. As far as harleys go's this is my barny bike, i have chopped a 72 -750 honda and owned a goldwing or two so i don't fit in that mix either. joe
    Nice bike, Joel. I still ride, I have a 1987 LS650 Suzuki Savage and a 1971 Honda CB100.

Oh, I've been to various motorcycle rides and meets. Overall including Harley owners, most really don't care what bike one rides. In any event, you'll find those who are difficult and exclusive, but fortunately they are few. The same it is with those who fly. Out on the flying field, most don't care what plane you fly, whether ARF or kit built. That fact that one is out there having fun is the most important.

Life is too short to heed the continual bickering by a few. I'd prefer to continue building my aircraft, equipping and repairing ARF's where I have them, and let the rest of the world pass me by when they get unreasonably critical. Share my success stories, mention but move on when I have a non-success (crash or other fault). That I think is more important.
    Hey gostler happy to see you here ! I dont turn my nose up on anyone who is getting wind in their hair or bugs in their teeth as long as they are riding it's cool with me. At around 60 years old the family wants me to sell my bike but i have bought all the parts to make my harley into a 3 weeler with a old 45 rearend.lol I have been riding since i was 6 years old and will pass my bikes on to my ten year old son when i kick the bucket.lol My girlfriend has asked me twice what all the pipes and boxes of stuff is in the garage and i told her a swing set iam going to build for the grand kids. lmao joe

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast