Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Why don't many people build RC airplane kits anymore?

Control line plans are out there and they aren't that hard to cut out with just hand tools. Many use designs that don't require extensive carving or shaping of leading edge stock or anything else besides maybe a cheek cowl piece.
    Anyone who complains about the hardships of shaping balsa wood is a wuss anyway....
    See if you can find Dick Mathis' Piper Cherokee plans for .35 size engines.... or just about anything designed by Dick Sarpolus.
    You'll need to use choice wood that can be ordered through SIG or from Lone Star for best results.
    I would also mention Brodak kits..[but they're way too expensive for the amount of wood you actually are getting].
    WHO GUNNA FEED MAW KEEEIDS..???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/index.asp There are almost 4000 free plans for a download here ,one should be able to find one they like Here are some old free flight ones from the aussies http://www.kurrawong.net/affp/plans.php And some tiled ones that are mostly old ace kits . http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/ I have plenty more but i cant build them all . http://www.starcadplans.net/index.php And here are some nice cad drawn ones from argentina http://174.142.160.206/viewtopic.php...0b74dfb73baaeb

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: scochrane Try to find a kit to build. I was looking for a c /l. Kit to build, LHS doesn't carry anything to build any more all ARFs and RTFs
    Sig Manufacturing has CL kits: [link]http://www.sigmfg.com[/link]

So does Brodak: [link]http://brodak.com/[/link]
    George Hostler
    Clovis MADS AMA Club, Vintage R/C Society (VRCS)
    And we know love by this, that He laid down His life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 1 John 3:16

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: combatpigg Control line plans are out there and they aren't that hard to cut out with just hand tools. Many use designs that don't require extensive carving or shaping of leading edge stock or anything else besides maybe a cheek cowl piece. [...] You'll need to use choice wood that can be ordered through SIG or from Lone Star for best results.
    Balsa USA is another source.

I've been investigating alternate materials such as 3/16" (5 mm) thick poster foamboard for constructing profile CL's. There is also 1/4" (6 mm) blue insulating foam and building insulating white styrofoam in 1/2" (13 mm), 1" (25 mm) and 2" (51 mm) thicknesses. I think one can come up with some interesting possibilities, similar to the scratch building RC guys. I used a vitamin supplements bottle section for a CL radial cowl. Also with a little imagination, use of alternative paints such as PVA gyp board primer for sanding sealer, etc., one can build something that looks sharp.
    George Hostler
    And we know love by this, that He laid down His life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 1 John 3:16

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: GallopingGhostler

ORIGINAL: combatpigg Control line plans are out there and they aren't that hard to cut out with just hand tools. Many use designs that don't require extensive carving or shaping of leading edge stock or anything else besides maybe a cheek cowl piece. [...] You'll need to use choice wood that can be ordered through SIG or from Lone Star for best results.
    Balsa USA is another source.

I've been investigating alternate materials such as 3/16'' (5 mm) thick poster foamboard for constructing profile CL's. There is also 1/4'' (6 mm) blue insulating foam and building insulating white styrofoam in 1/2'' (13 mm), 1'' (25 mm) and 2'' (51 mm) thicknesses. I think one can come up with some interesting possibilities, similar to the scratch building RC guys. I used a vitamin supplements bottle section for a CL radial cowl. Also with a little imagination, use of alternative paints such as PVA gyp board primer for sanding sealer, etc., one can build something that looks sharp.
    I built this out of dollar tree foam ,you just pull the paper off of it and use gorrila glue.The wheels are made of the same foam and the planes foam cost me 3 bucks. I build the slow flying foam planes once in a while so i dont get burnt out building big balsa planes. joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt58221.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	1834044   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oj27717.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	1834045  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

I agree with your timeline of key events but my question still goes unanswered.
    I don't think ARFs just showed up en masse one day and then magically transformed the market's taste buds...at least not to the majority.
    In fact the first ARFs [from China] were terrible but they were gobbled up like Cheezewhiz, cheap beer and Wonderbread and so began the scramble to meet demand with what we have today.
    [I allowed myself to get suckered into buying a few of the early ones on impulses......and pretty slick advertising.]
    Yep, gotta agree with you... the first ARFs were total crap.. underpowered and poorly designed..

I had one of the first, in the below video... It never flew under its own power so I turned it into a slope soarer and it was totally lame in that role also.

The modern "Quality" ARFs are just awesome and fly as well as any RC plane I have seen in 34 years in this hobby

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8DU7WD8ra0[/youtube]

12 years later.... my first "new generation"ARF is this F-18 and this vid is one of the earliest flights...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib3GRSHt-E8[/youtube]

3 weeks later I bought a Eurofighter, this fliew great, and is even better now that I upgraded the EDF for more power.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPmONFtyY9Y[/youtube]
    ..... frakkin cylons...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Those are just awesome flyers...!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Would you like me to post a video of my planes on the ground, or would you rather come watch while we fly? I have a little trouble doing a video while I'm flying. Hands are just a little busy with the airplane and doing that pilot stuff. If you think that I'd trust Vinnie, or Karl, or Frankie with my camera, then think again.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
    Easy solution... - $40 bucks will get you one of these

Attached it to the rim of a normal baseball cap and you can make great videos of your flights.

Like this... it even time stamps your videos...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFfBqMjctq8[/youtube]
    ..... frakkin cylons...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: joebahl I built this out of dollar tree foam, you just pull the paper off of it and use gorrila glue. The wheels are made of the same foam and the planes foam cost me 3 bucks. I build the slow flying foam planes once in a while so i don't get burnt out building big balsa planes.
    Cool. Where did you get this dollar tree foam?
    George Hostler

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I buy it at dollar tree stores ,they are all over the US .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Rob2160

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Would you like me to post a video of my planes on the ground, or would you rather come watch while we fly? I have a little trouble doing a video while I'm flying. Hands are just a little busy with the airplane and doing that pilot stuff. If you think that I'd trust Vinnie, or Karl, or Frankie with my camera, then think again.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
    Easy solution...Β* - $40 bucks will get you one of theseΒ*

Attached it to the rim of a normal baseball cap and you can make great videos of your flights.

Like this...Β* it even time stamps your videos...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFfBqMjctq8[/youtube]
    Now that is neat, I don't care who you are. Where did you get it?

Bill, Waco Brother #1
    Its easy, just glue all the pieces together, and sand off everything that doesnt look like an airplane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

One of the guys at work found a company that sells hunting sun glasses on line that has the same type video downlink built into them, there is pretty cool stuff out there today. Here is one of them but not the ones he showed me on line.

http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=C...ing-sunglasses

Bob
    Fly It Like You Stole It!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dude you're such a complete poser and failure I totally feel sorry for you, no joke! , it's sad that all you have is an online forum to distinguish yourself in some way shape or form it's also sad that your life is so totally lacking that you have to resort to spending hours upon hours bird dogging an online forum to make sure you get the last word in , I'll revert to my last statement and further reinforce it by saying you seriously need to seek professional help, no joke man you need alot of socialization to make you "better"seriously get out more, go to movies,go out to eat, watch the news, talk to people, get a better sense of the world and whats going on, man you're missing it all , don't be a fossil, don't be left behind wondering why you don't seem to fit in and NOBODY agrees with you.Just an impartial viewpoint.

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

ORIGINAL: warbird addict

Aside from that I think you probably were beastfed till you were Like 45 and spent most of your time living in your mommy's basement, that scenario certainly would explain alot hypotheticly speaking of course, LMFAO I'm way past taking you even remotely serious anymore DUDE you need serious PROFESSIONAL HELP there cannot be any other explaination for it, Thanks for the laugh Piggy, I got it!!!!!!! your just trolling cuz there's no way in hell anybody that far out there can even be remotely serious, OK you Got me I took the bait LOL
    [I just thought I'd save this post before he sobers up and tries to delete it......]
    \"Q\" If you could have one super power what would it be?
    \"A\" The ability to leap tall blondes without them screaming

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dude you're such a complete poser and failure I totally feel sorry for you, no joke! , it's sad that all you have is an online forum to distinguish yourself in some way shape or form it's also sad that your life is so totally lacking that you have to resort to spending hours upon hours bird dogging an online forum to make sure you get the last word in , I'll revert to my last statement and further reinforce it by saying you seriously need to seek professional help, no joke man you need alot of socialization to make you ''better''seriously get out more, go to movies,go out to eat, watch the news, talk to people, get a better sense of the world and whats going on, man you're missing it all , don't be a fossil, don't be left behind wondering why you don't seem to fit in and NOBODY agrees with you.Just an impartial viewpoint.

Aside from that I think you probably were beastfed till you were Like 45 and spent most of your time living in your mommy's basement, that scenario certainly would explain alot hypotheticly speaking of course, LMFAO I'm way past taking you even remotely serious anymore DUDE you need serious PROFESSIONAL HELP there cannot be any other explaination for it, Thanks for the laugh Piggy, I got it!!!!!!! your just trolling cuz there's no way in hell anybody that far out there can even be remotely serious, OK you Got me I took the bait LOL
    I was in the service with a guy who use to take the 45 from the guy he relieved on watch and put it to his head and pull the trigger with the assumption that the guy he relieved hadn't loaded it or played with it or left a round in the chamber ultimate show of trust until one night the weapon went BOOM luckily missing him with the round ricocheting all around the metal bulkheads damned near killing them both................
    Posted on: 11/30/2012 6:23 PM by Author "warbird addict" in the forum

You are the guy who wrote this mularky and you are telling ME that I need help.....

Here's an exerpt from another "classic".....it's always the guys who have seen other guys put .45s to their head, then pull the trigger who ALSO ride the 190 mph bikes....
    : warbird addict
    My point in the whole matter is not to promote the misconception that danderous things are toys to be handled in any manner you choose without fear of reprocussion and or serious injory and or death............. I am not even remotely one who lives life on the reserved and overly cautious side quite the opposite is in fact the case with me I've ridden sport bikes at over 190 mph....
    Posted on: 12/1/2012 6:24 PM by Author "warbird addict" in the forum...
    Then of course the motor cycle dealer frantically calls "warbird addict" [who works from 4:30 AM until 9:00 PM day in and day out] to come down ASAP on an errand of mercy to talk a potential buyer out of a quick sale so that he can save the boy's life, but alas it was not to be.......in spite of "warbird addict's" best efforts the dealer was forced into selling the bike.
    The moral of THIS story is the boy died because his Dad called the 190 HP / 190+ MPH bike a "toy".........

: warbird addict..... Let me give you some background as to why I don't downplay dangerous things by calling them toys. In dec of 2007 I bought a STOCK Yamaha R-1 and being a longtime sportbike rider and "backroad racer" I went the whole 9 yards on this bike performance wise when I finished the bike it was pushing somewhere around 190 HP 4th gear roll on , I can't remember the Ft Lbs of torque but basicly it would come up on the back wheel all the way up to 3rd gear with a firm twist of the throttle, I kept the bike till 2009 at which point I traded it in for another bike for reasons I can't remember , in any case I get a call from the dealer 2 weeks later telling me a potential buyer wants to talk to me about the bike, no problem , I go down to the dealer and come to find out this guy wants to buy it for his sons 18th birthday and he wants to buy his kid a nice flashy toy for his birthday and he wants a bike "his first bike", toy, toy ,toy kept coming up in conversation and I cautioned him about this potentially NOT being a good first bike for the kid but the old man "wealthy" and driving a Z-06 and not taking the bike seriously blew me off still calling it a big boy toy bought the bike for his 18 year old son, not more than 10 days later the dealer called me back and wanted me to come in as he had something to show me, when I got there he took me into the back room where sat the bike I built in milk crates, come to find out that "KID" was killed on it when he impacted a 3/4 ton pickup head on doing over 100 MPH on the back wheel PLAYING with his new TOY. For Me it was a big boy toy but for him it was a death sentence.......
    So many stories, so little time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: joebahl

And its your type that makes going on the internet a problem. If you want to change things at your club field have you ever thought to run for office or just keep complaining about the guys who do run the clubs . As far as fighting on the internet iam close enough to go a few rounds with you so name the time and place. joe

hey Joe from Joilet- did you seriously just threaten me with going a few rounds?? ie: fighting?? You have just raised the bar for childish forum behavior- especially considering that if we were to meet in person, I GUARANTEE that you would not raise a hand to me, tough guy. You have a big mouth,Mr. Little Brain! Your post has been reported as a personal threat to the mods, bud.
    #26 Club Saito (2) FA-62's, FA-90TS, FA-120R3
    -Glowhead Brotherhood #2 -

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hey Rv7garage can i be the referee? people today want instant gratifacation. lot of us that has built has more pride in what they build, if its a airplane or what ever they build with their own hands. that is what is missing in the hobby today. i dont have a airplane yet but soon i hope i race rc cars and have built them. and i was into free flight from the age of 6 to 18. at 18 i went into the military. and have been away from it sence. and i hope everyone had a great christmas.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It just doesn't get any better than this...

Bob
    Fly It Like You Stole It!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Club Saito member # 689/topflite AT6/KMP B25 /H9 B25 /sterling PT-17/Andrews aeromaster/H9 p-51/BUSA eindecker/SE5A/J3 Cubs

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I find it sad that some of the more immature people that frequent this forum can't discuss an issue without getting into a silly little spitting match like kids on a playground. We are all supposed to be adults here, but unfortunately several members in this thread have proven that they have a long way to go to get to adulthood. I'm closing this thread down since some people have proven that they are incapable of maturely discussing an issue with somebody they disagree with.

Thread locked.

Ken
    The take off is optional, but the landing is MANDATORY!!
    RCU Forum Manager
    www.gettingairborne.com
    RCKen Publications
    Brotherhood's
    Ultra Sport Brother #1
    Sig Brotherhood #4
    Balsa USA #4

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Good Point.

Also your mention of youth. Maybe the secret is to go to the absolute edge or extreme and ask,

WHY young people don't build?. Not why they don't join clubs or fly ARFs, TOO EASY

How could they ever put down the video games, facebook ,texts, etc long enough to do what almost zero adults do any more? To build perchance to fly?

Like making it in New York,. If you can solve this problem at the extreme, where it is most difficult, you can do it anywhere.

Start with this, then rethink.

WARNING: do not click on this model airplane maiden flight video unless you are ready to re-think. That means accepting the strange music of the youth who built the plane and made the video. Don't click until you're ready.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=wSuLzPsWQrk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	923.0 KB 
ID:	1915690  
    Last edited by softshell29; 09-01-2013 at 10:19 PM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by softshell29 View Post
    Good Point. Also your mention of youth. Maybe the secret is to go to the absolute edge or extreme and ask, WHY young people don't build? Not why they don't join clubs or fly ARFs, TOO EASY How could they ever put down the video games, facebook ,texts, etc long enough to do what almost zero adults do any more? To build perchance to fly?
    The proliferation of ARF's have made purchase cheaper than building. It was not always this way. Back in the 1960's, there were ARF's but they were expensive compared with kit building. Radio control was also expensive for multichannel. Single channel was cheaper but primitive. (However one certainly learned the art of trimming an aircraft and proper radio system maintenance for reliability.) Then, kits were even available in local department stores, mostly the rubber band powered stick and tissue kits such as Comet. After building a couple of those, one certainly learned the mechanics of building.

Control line (CL) was more popular because it was cheaper to do. There, there were many RTF's, but due to lack of durability, most flights were one shots. The plastic would shatter upon impact, which did not help continue the CL movement. I remember as a child looking at all the color eye candy in the toy catalogs. My first RTF was a Cox .049 Spitfire. I found later that balsa flew better and was more crash resistant, especially the .049 CL jobs with solid balsa wings and profile fuselages.

Like making it in New York,. If you can solve this problem at the extreme, where it is most difficult, you can do it anywhere.
    Secret to living in such a high cost area is downsizing. One lives within their means by living in a place smaller than they'd normally want, and learns to be content with it (BTDT). Also, one can fly within their means too. That may mean smaller planes, less channels, etc. One of the gottcha's is radio system reliability. It doesn't pay to buy cheap, some RTF's come with poor quality radio systems.

Start with this, then rethink. WARNING: do not click on this model airplane maiden flight video unless you are ready to re-think. That means accepting the strange music of the youth who built the plane and made the video. Don't click until you're ready. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=wSuLzPsWQrk
    Nice plane and ambitious build, kudos to the builder.
    George Hostler

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    re-closing this thread. previously locked by RCKen.
    Jim Buzzeo AMA 74894
    P-51 Mustang Brotherhood #37
    Sig Brotherhood #95

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Jim Buzzeo AMA 74894
    P-51 Mustang Brotherhood #37
    Sig Brotherhood #95