Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Why don't many people build RC airplane kits anymore?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Why don't many people build RC airplane kits anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 04:24 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
Default RE: Why don't many people build RC airplane kits anymore?

ORIGINAL: lez1troubles When you crash your plane and it smashes into 1000 little pieces does that then count as being a kit???[:@]
Only when you reassemble it.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:44 AM
GallopingGhostler

ORIGINAL: sensei He may now tell you about how he built a Heath Kit radio and receiver, big deal allot of us did that back in the day. Thank god those days are gone. Hey there Kit Builder, did you build this composite fuse? If you ask me, you might be getting a little LAZY because that fuse looks like it was ARF built for you... Bob
Um, I didn't build a Heathkit, but I built a Charlies R/C 810 system (kit of Bill Cannon's mini R/C system. Those days served a purpose. Then R/C was expensive. I was a college student and a few evenings with a soldering iron resulted in my first working multi-channel proportional system, and suited for small aircraft, which I flew. ARF's were relatively expensive then. Kits served a purpose, keeping the hobby within budget. Then the cheaper radios appeared, so I bought a Futaba. When AMA changed frequencies to narrow band, then a Hobby Shack Cirrus.

The influx of ARF's with cheaper motors and electrics, mostly from China at costs less than retail kits have again made the hobby affordable. Of course, those who are lacking in building skills now can participate in the hobby, so kudos to them.

Since recently retiring, I have more time on my hands, so I have time to build. Because over time balsa has gotten more expensive, I am experimenting with various materials to reduce the cost of building. One of them is 3/16" (5 mm) thick poster foamboard, available in most department stores, office supply and art craft shops. Monokote is great stuff, still the premier iron on covering, but a roll costs nearly $15, not including shipping. I'm considering alternates, even purchasing silk from a fabric sales house or may be Doculam. I also have Dave Brown's Skyloft, a silkspan like synthetic, which holds promise.

When overseas labor and importation costs rise, then kits may again make a greater showing.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:55 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: GallopingGhostler

ORIGINAL: sensei He may now tell you about how he built a Heath Kit radio and receiver, big deal allot of us did that back in the day. Thank god those days are gone. Hey there Kit Builder, did you build this composite fuse? If you ask me, you might be getting a little LAZY because that fuse looks like it was ARF built for you... Bob
Um, I didn't build a Heathkit, but I built a Charlies R/C 810 system (kit of Bill Cannon's mini R/C system. Those days served a purpose. Then R/C was expensive. I was a college student and a few evenings with a soldering iron resulted in my first working multi-channel proportional system, and suited for small aircraft, which I flew. ARF's were relatively expensive then. Kits served a purpose, keeping the hobby within budget. Then the cheaper radios appeared, so I bought a Futaba. When AMA changed frequencies to narrow band, then a Hobby Shack Cirrus.

The influx of ARF's with cheaper motors and electrics, mostly from China at costs less than retail kits have again made the hobby affordable. Of course, those who are lacking in building skills now can participate in the hobby, so kudos to them.

Since recently retiring, I have more time on my hands, so I have time to build. Because over time balsa has gotten more expensive, I am experimenting with various materials to reduce the cost of building. One of them is 3/16'' (5 mm) thick poster foamboard, available in most department stores, office supply and art craft shops. Monokote is great stuff, still the premier iron on covering, but a roll costs nearly $15, not including shipping. I'm considering alternates, even purchasing silk from a fabric sales house or may be Doculam. I also have Dave Brown's Skyloft, a silkspan like synthetic, which holds promise.

When overseas labor and importation costs rise, then kits may again make a greater showing.
If you go on line and google Gator Board, you will find some some great building material in small sizes to 4' X 8' sheets. I have been playing with the stuff now for a couple of years and it is pretty cool to build R/C airplanes with.

Bob
Old 12-21-2012, 05:15 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

ORIGINAL: 378

Let's see here....I suppose the guy that had his arm shot off in Vietnam or Afghanistan shouldn't be getting arfs because he's too lazy to figure out how his prosthetic will help him build? The guy paralyzed in a car crash is lazy because he doesn't park his wheelchair on a huge stand to build? And what about a five year old that's not mature enough to handle hazardous chemicals and hot, sharp tools? How is he lazy, because he didn't mature fast enough for your tastes? Or would you call his parents that have to work two jobs each because the economy is still in shambles just to keep them fed the lazy ones in this case?
Don't need my inbox flooded with more pointless rhetoric. Good day, sirs, and happy flying.
These ''examples'' that are given here are THE definition of pointless rhetoric...[you forgot to include the 1000s of one eyed Eskimos with aids, too]
Subtract these ''examples'' and you are left with millions upon millions of lazy guys who simply choose to spend their free time in front of a TV, video game or a computer instead of standing next to a work bench with their hands [and minds] busy cutting out parts, taking measurements and actually doing something constructive with their time.
Millions and millions of people would consider what you like to do to be a complete waste of time, not constructive, not productive,
and your rhetoric the result of a lazy mind.
I would be one of them.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:37 AM
GallopingGhostler

ORIGINAL: sensei If you go on line and google Gator Board, you will find some some great building material in small sizes to 4' X 8' sheets. I have been playing with the stuff now for a couple of years and it is pretty cool to build R/C airplanes with. Bob
Bob, I did a quick Google as you suggested. Yes, such material does have promises. I'm thinking one could go to even bigger projects with stuff like that, may be even .60 powered stuff. Thanks.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:41 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: GallopingGhostler

ORIGINAL: sensei If you go on line and google Gator Board, you will find some some great building material in small sizes to 4' X 8' sheets. I have been playing with the stuff now for a couple of years and it is pretty cool to build R/C airplanes with. Bob
Bob, I did a quick Google as you suggested. Yes, such material does have promises. I'm thinking one could go to even bigger projects with stuff like that, may be even .60 powered stuff. Thanks.
You are very welcome.

Bob
Old 12-21-2012, 06:44 AM
jetmech05

Those that only build...are missing out on some really fine flying aircraft.....like with anything there are trade offs....example the new Hangar 9 35% Edge 300..DA 100 for power plant...is an outstanding flying airplane....one of the best rolling planes I've seen...but as a modeler I don't like the way the lines on the cowling match the rest of the airplane.
Building is building if you enjoy that good for you....flying is flying.....there are those that don't like flying as much...
Like anything change is gonna happen.....comuterized transmitter make you less of a pilot....sort of I guess...but it allows a pilot to do things he couldn't do otherwise...just like full scale does ILS make you less of a pilot...no....it allows you to land in reduced visability...
I know I might as well be talking to the wall from what I read here but you can turn anything around to your vantange point...I fly giant scale there fore I am more pilot than those that fly smaller planes. See where this goes...of course I'm not...I just like a different part of the Hobby....
Kit builders...relax...it's all good...we are all RC'ers
Old 12-21-2012, 07:04 AM
GallopingGhostler

ORIGINAL: jetmech05 I know I might as well be talking to the wall from what I read here but you can turn anything around to your vantange point...I fly giant scale there fore I am more pilot than those that fly smaller planes.
Of course, us small plane fliers can turn that around by saying, "The reason why you need a big airplane is to make up for a little ....", oh, never mind.

See where this goes...of course I'm not...I just like a different part of the Hobby.... Kit builders...relax...it's all good...we are all RC'ers
Actually, the older I get the more I am inclined to larger aircraft. I guess it is a way of making up for declining testosterone.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:58 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: 804

Let's see here....I suppose the guy that had his arm shot off in Vietnam or Afghanistan shouldn't be getting arfs because he's too lazy to figure out how his prosthetic will help him build? The guy paralyzed in a car crash is lazy because he doesn't park his wheelchair on a huge stand to build? And what about a five year old that's not mature enough to handle hazardous chemicals and hot, sharp tools? How is he lazy, because he didn't mature fast enough for your tastes? Or would you call his parents that have to work two jobs each because the economy is still in shambles just to keep them fed the lazy ones in this case?
Don't need my inbox flooded with more pointless rhetoric. Good day, sirs, and happy flying.
These ''examples'' that are given here are THE definition of pointless rhetoric...[you forgot to include the 1000s of one eyed Eskimos with aids, too]
Subtract these ''examples'' and you are left with millions upon millions of lazy guys who simply choose to spend their free time in front of a TV, video game or a computer instead of standing next to a work bench with their hands [and minds] busy cutting out parts, taking measurements and actually doing something constructive with their time.
Millions and millions of people would consider what you like to do to be a complete waste of time, not constructive, not productive,
I would be one of them.
Obesity is at unheard of levels and climbing. Along with it are graphic examples of laziness that I see on a daily basis.
The 2 go hand in hand.
So according to you, there is no way that laziness has an impact on why the man of today chooses to not build any more..?
You deny that none of that has spilled over [literally] into this hobby..?
You are right about 1 thing...my primary hobby is running a small homestead / farm / ranch and providing for my own needs and there are millions of lazy slobs who would consider that a complete, non productive waste of their time.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:20 AM
bikerbc

As far as that goes as person should be able to do what he choses with his free time with out being called lazy..If his hobby is TV so be it..If it is building airaplanes thats fine too...If a persontold you you were too lazy too get your butt out and play golf and all you want to do is lazy around the shop and play with toy planes you would not like his opinion...Too each his own..If a person is happy with an ARF and wants to fly why should it bother anybody else ? I am sorry but I just can't understand why there is so much friction between builders and ARF flyers..Are Builders Jellous of how good ARF's look or ARF flyers jellous of how much attention a built plane gets...I learnd a long time ago that there is always going to be sombody with somthing bigger and better so you better be satisfied with what you have otherwize you are never going to be happy...I agree that building is a wonderfull part of the hobby but if its not for you , I can understand..Some people dont like CA fumes or Balsa dust , maybe dont have that interest...
Old 12-21-2012, 08:30 AM
daveamt

Back when i built kits they may not have been show pieces but, the covering stayed on, the landing gear rarely busted out, and all the joints were glued.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:44 AM
combatpigg

ORIGINAL: bikerbc

As far as that goes as person should be able to do what he choses with his free time with out being called lazy..If his hobby is TV so be it..If it is building airaplanes thats fine too...If a persontold you you were too lazy too get your butt out and play golf and all you want to do is lazy around the shop and play with toy planes you would not like his opinion...Too each his own..If a person is happy with an ARF and wants to fly why should it bother anybody else ? I am sorry but I just can't understand why there is so much friction between builders and ARF flyers..Are Builders Jellous of how good ARF's look or ARF flyers jellous of how much attention a built plane gets...I learnd a long time ago that there is always going to be sombody with somthing bigger and better so you better be satisfied with what you have otherwize you are never going to be happy...I agree that building is a wonderfull part of the hobby but if its not for you , I can understand..Some people dont like CA fumes or Balsa dust , maybe dont have that interest...
This thread asks why very few people build kits any more. That's all there is to it.
It has nothing to do with being "bothered" by anything.
We are all responsible for our own happiness...but that has nothing to do with the PHYSICAL reasons as to why kits aren't being built now.
As for breathing CA fumes and balsa dust....I you aren't clever enough to clear those two hurdles, you are probably better off just watching TV until your ARF gets delivered to your door step..
BTW, when the day comes where I call watching TV a hobby..please shoot me....
Old 12-21-2012, 08:58 AM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: bikerbc

This thread asks why very few people build kits any more. That's all there is to it.
It has nothing to do with being ''bothered'' by anything.
We are all responsible for our own happiness...but that has nothing to do with the PHYSICAL reasons as to why kits aren't being built now.
As for breathing CA fumes and balsa dust....I you aren't clever enough to clear those two hurdles, you are probably better off just watching TV until your ARF gets delivered to your door step..
BTW, when the day comes where I call watching TV a hobby..please shoot me....
FOG much ?
Old 12-21-2012, 10:03 AM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love balsa dust! Just sanded to shape, the leading edges of a 120 inch Ki-45 with some 40, then 100 and finally 220 grit sandpaper....ah the beautiful mess it made....took me about an hour just to clean up all the balsa confetti. nothing more relaxing than 2-3 hours in the garage, watching Tora Tora Tora, Tuskeegee Airmen, Flying Leathernecks, or any any other great classic war movie (note: the new Pearl Harbor [:'(] and Red Tails do not fit that category, still 60-40 on Flyboys[&:]....too much CGI) or doumenatary. Tonight I start fiberglassing teh Ki-45 wing.

JQ
Old 12-21-2012, 10:05 AM

I would be one of them.
Obesity is at unheard of levels and climbing. Along with it are graphic examples of laziness that I see on a daily basis.
The 2 go hand in hand.
So according to you, there is no way that laziness has an impact on why the man of today chooses to not build any more..?
You deny that none of that has spilled over [literally] into this hobby..?
You are right about 1 thing...my primary hobby is running a small homestead / farm / ranch and providing for my own needs and there are millions of lazy slobs who would consider that a complete, non productive waste of their time.
Laziness is not defined by how much physical output a man generates, but by how he keeps himself busy being productive.
And then, there is the problem of defining just what is productive.
Taken together, is a man who "builds" toy airplanes being productive, and is he really doing something physical?

The problem with your theory is that you are taking 2 general trends (the rise of ARFS, and the rise in obesity) and linking them together in a 1 to 1 relationship based on
the mistaken notion that obesity is always or mostly caused by laziness.

Look, use the brain you were born with and understand that "the man of today" in his workaday life uses less physical exertion to get things done( efficiency) that the man of the past.
That does not mean modern man is lazy, it just means we work in different ways.
And, ARFS are a more efficient way to utilize a busy man's time to enjoy a pastime.

If you can't put those thought together in your head, and understand how simplistic your reasoning is,
and how insulting it is, then there is nothing more to be said.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:21 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jetmech05

Those that only build...are missing out on some really fine flying aircraft.....like with anything there are trade offs....example the new Hangar 9 35% Edge 300..DA 100 for power plant...is an outstanding flying airplane....one of the best rolling planes I've seen...but as a modeler I don't like the way the lines on the cowling match the rest of the airplane.
Building is building if you enjoy that good for you....flying is flying.....there are those that don't like flying as much...
Like anything change is gonna happen.....comuterized transmitter make you less of a pilot....sort of I guess...but it allows a pilot to do things he couldn't do otherwise...just like full scale does ILS make you less of a pilot...no....it allows you to land in reduced visability...
I know I might as well be talking to the wall from what I read here but you can turn anything around to your vantange point...I fly giant scale there fore I am more pilot than those that fly smaller planes. See where this goes...of course I'm not...I just like a different part of the Hobby....
Kit builders...relax...it's all good...we are all RC'ers
jetmech05
You are, IMO, very correct. Why worry about what the other fellow likes, does, performs? Back about 9 months ago, post #14 I gave my perception of the question of the "Why...." Things have changed, and will continue to do so. Personally I like to build, but then I see the end of the "Allowed Time..." in my world creeping up and I do fly some ASRFs. I also fly purchased airplanes. I still build some kits (I have about 80 in the barn) mostly scale, as no ARF is really close to "TRUE SCALE". For just flying I do a number of ARFs. While I much prefer self-built models, I don't care to let some of the ARFs go by.

ARFs keep the sport in business. I see no reason to degrade any aeromodeler that wishes to to do only ARFs. I did at one time, but not now or for the last 20 years or more. So ARF, Kit, or Original, anyone that plays with these toy airplanes be it FF, CL,and/or RC, he/she is welcome in my world.
Quit fussin' and pass the glue and balsa, plywood, fiberglass, whatever, and the X-Acto! OOPs, let me assemble that new P-40 ARF kit for sport.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:24 AM
combatpigg

The problem with your theory is that you are taking 2 general trends (the rise of ARFS, and the rise in obesity) and linking them together in a 1 to 1 relationship based on
the mistaken notion that obesity is always or mostly caused by laziness.

Look, use the brain you were born with and understand that ''the man of today'' in his workaday life uses less physical exertion to get things done( efficiency) that the man of the past.
That does not mean modern man is lazy, it just means we work in different ways.
And, ARFS are a more efficient way to utilize a busy man's time to enjoy a pastime.

If you can't put those thought together in your head, and understand how simplistic your reasoning is,
and how insulting it is, then there is nothing more to be said.
Yes, building an airplane takes way more physical effort than wallowing around in front of your TV set waiting for your ARF to arrive.
Modern conveniences like power tools, business machines, etc. contribute to Man's overall laziness. I'm not afraid to call a spade a spade here. This fact causes me no distress to admit.
If you want to stick your head in the sand, fine. It's people with your mindset who brought us the "Courtesy Runner" in Little League games for the kids who are too obese to run the bases for themselves.
It's people like you who reenforce the mentality that this is OK.
It's people like me who say that this is not OK, that the little blubber butt is the one who needs a "Coutesy Runner" about as much as he needs to gorge himself on another Happy Meal.
What a joke.

[/quote]
Old 12-21-2012, 10:29 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: sensei

He may now tell you about how he built a Heathkit radio and receiver, big deal allot of us did that back in the day. Thank god those days are gone. Hey there Kit Builder, did you build this composite fuse? If you ask me, you might be getting a little LAZY because that fuse looks like it was ARF built for you...

Bob
Bob,

Have you ever built a composite plane? There is more work than stick building it. I used it as an example more about scratching the wings than anything else.

Yes I built my own radios from kits early on.

Bill Waco Brother #1
Old 12-21-2012, 10:31 AM
henschel
My Feedback: (47)

This is what can be done scratch building. B-58 was built from a semi kit in about 6 months. Think the Chinese would sell one of these as an arf?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66381.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	1832559  
Old 12-21-2012, 10:44 AM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Builders will build, scratchers will scratch, arfers will arf and plansers(?) will plan. Does it really matter? As a kit builder and prolific basher the plus to me is all the new entries into the hobby have brought prices down and we're getting a whole lot more for our money.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:51 AM
ovationdave
My Feedback: (16)

It is amazing that one person can post a comment that does not represent the feelings of 99% of the people that have posted here so far, and everyone goes off the deep end. Some of you are wound way too tight if you let one flaming comment get you this wound up. Stir the pot he did......

On a lighter note, as an overweight guy that builds airplanes I have just learned that I am apparently somewhat of an enigma...........like a "jackalope".

~Dave
Old 12-21-2012, 11:04 AM
flyboy75

I can't compete with the chinese. PERIOD !

90% of ARF are made outside of the US. Have you seen the covering jobs they do ?
Old 12-21-2012, 11:15 AM
fly24-7

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Well, I guess it's time to stir the pot a little. Those that make excuses for not building are hiding the root cause. Laziness.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

I think Stickbuilder's assessment is a generalisation that has a lot of truth behind it.
This generation of Americans is [collectively] the most obese group of folks in the history of mankind.
This is an undisputable fact.
Another undisputable fact is that obesity and laziness go hand in hand. They both work in a vicious circle to feed one another.
The ARF Culture is simply a reflection of this ugly truth.
If you think this observation doesn't apply to you...then good!
Interesting statements from guys who have time to sit in front of their computers and log over 8,000 and 16,000 posts respectively. So there you have it folks. Tomorrow's post apocalyptic headline...

You are officially obese AND lazy if you buy and ARF. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PICK-UP A TRANSMITTER IF WHAT YOU'RE ABOUT TO FLY DIDN'T ARRIVE AT YOUR HOME AS A PILE OF STICKS.

Boy, you can't fix stupid and now I guess you can't fix ignorant...

BTW, I know a guy who's sitting at home, building all day, collecting government checks instead of trying to find a job. But... I guess he's not lazy because he's building airplanes...
Old 12-21-2012, 11:51 AM
combatpigg

ORIGINAL: fly24-7

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Well, I guess it's time to stir the pot a little. Those that make excuses for not building are hiding the root cause. Laziness.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

I think Stickbuilder's assessment is a generalisation that has a lot of truth behind it.
This generation of Americans is [collectively] the most obese group of folks in the history of mankind.
This is an undisputable fact.
Another undisputable fact is that obesity and laziness go hand in hand. They both work in a vicious circle to feed one another.
The ARF Culture is simply a reflection of this ugly truth.
If you think this observation doesn't apply to you...then good!
Interesting statements from guys who have time to sit in front of their computers and log over 8,000 and 16,000 posts respectively. So there you have it folks. Tomorrow's post apocalyptic headline...

You are officially obese AND lazy if you buy and ARF. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PICK-UP A TRANSMITTER IF WHAT YOU'RE ABOUT TO FLY DIDN'T ARRIVE AT YOUR HOME AS A PILE OF STICKS.

Boy, you can't fix stupid and now I guess you can't fix ignorant...

BTW, I know a guy who's sitting at home, building all day, collecting government checks instead of trying to find a job. But... I guess he's not lazy because he's building airplanes...
Once you start slinging the "ignorant and stupid" and the "post count" trash at an internet forum..you've demonstrated that you've got nothing of substance to add.
Twisting other's words is another tactic that reflects poorly.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:24 PM
GaryHarris

Well, I got a plane to build. It's getting way to philosophical for me here.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH-_9cwdLug[/youtube]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.