Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 08:38 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need Help

Let me tell you all a story that happened to me a few years back.
On the way home from a event I stop at a club field on a Sat. It was my wifes idea so she could do some shopping and I could fly.
After parking my trailer i asked if I could join them for the day. They told me their safety officer would have to fly with me on a buddy box first and they would call him.
Now I knew what was in my trailer, but thats OK it's their club and their rules. I said i would wait. He shows up carring the buddy box and cord. I then opened up the trailer and got out my 40% gas plane. They all came running over because they had never seen a plane that big. The buddy box idea went out the window in a hurry. All they were worried about was I able to take off and land in 400ft. Well I did and had a lot of fun the whole day. Even handed the radio to a few of them to fly the plane while it was up.
My point is rules are great but some times they don't fit all the time. Dennis
Old 04-14-2011, 08:47 AM
sandiggi

Old 04-14-2011, 08:52 AM
sandiggi

Hey crowd hows it going ?  I got a small problem, thats is,  i am limited to a 36mm(W)  x 65mm(L) brushless motor in my 1/8 buggy,  i can fit 66mm(L).  And i can't seem to find one of this size that will take 22.2v  without  heat problem threatening to destroy it .  If anyone has any info on how to find a motor to drink  this kind of  juice please help me out.   Thanks  ya'll.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:40 AM
carrellh

If a new person comes to the field, with or without something to fly, we ask if he has his AMA card and if he is a solo pilot. If the answer is yes, we go over the field rules (which are simple, mostly common sense, items), and the procedure to join the club. At that point he is free to fly if he has his stuff. We don't have hard rules about how long someone can fly as a guest and we've never had anyone abuse this.

If the answer is no, we go over the same info and talk about hooking him up with an instructor. Most people hasve no idea that instruction is available (and free with club membership). If they already have stuff, we offer to have one of the experienced guys give it an inspection. If everything checks out, and their batteries are charged, they can usually get at least a flight or two with an instructor on the first day.

I have been in the same club for approximately 10 years. So far we have not had anyone show up, claiming to be a solo pilot, who could not fly at all.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:21 PM
mudpuppy1

I'm new to your web site and find it interesting and informative.  However, I have a Q about C/G and read some the other members' Q's about same...  But, I can't find where their Q was answered. 

Where do I look?

But my Q is when designing an A/C how do you decide where the C/G is?
Old 04-14-2011, 01:57 PM
warningshot

ORIGINAL: carrellh

If a new person comes to the field, with or without something to fly, we ask if he has his AMA card and if he is a solo pilot. If the answer is yes, we go over the field rules (which are simple, mostly common sense, items), and the procedure to join the club. At that point he is free to fly if he has his stuff. We don't have hard rules about how long someone can fly as a guest and we've never had anyone abuse this.

If the answer is no, we go over the same info and talk about hooking him up with an instructor. Most people hasve no idea that instruction is available (and free with club membership). If they already have stuff, we offer to have one of the experienced guys give it an inspection. If everything checks out, and their batteries are charged, they can usually get at least a flight or two with an instructor on the first day.

I have been in the same club for approximately 10 years. So far we have not had anyone show up, claiming to be a solo pilot, who could not fly at all.
Our club is the same way. If they say they can fly then so be it. If they crash, oh well it is their money.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:34 PM
rgm762
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

our club uses a check list, i believe it's an older AMA list or something like that, if they say they can fly then one of the instructors has to sign off, the list covers starting up, taxi, take off, flying while maintaining control, then landing. we've already lost one field because of pilots who say they could fly then loose a plane that ended up in somebodys front yard and thye have to use their own plane
Old 04-14-2011, 05:38 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

Scenario... A newbie shows up with his stuff. Says he or she wants to play. You look over the stuff, ask some questions. If all looks and sounds OK go for it, assuming AMA regs are in order. Then go hide behind a rock or a tree and watch the show. Once that person demonstrates knowledge and confidence in the task at hand then you rake em over the coals for dues and other fees, if any. Vote him or her into the club if need be or just accept the person as a flying buddy. Why make it any harder than it already is?
I was at a flying site while working away from home. Had no equipment of my own as I flew commercial to get there. The local club people were most gracious towards me and were all very accomodating. One member asked the normal questions and was satisfied enough to let me try his plane. First time I flew a SPAD combat ship! Way to cool. Not to long after that I was helping one of their members fly his trainer. I was pleased with the chance to help with the training. All turned out well. It does happen.
Like the man said, you will know by asking some questions if the knowledge and ability is there.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:58 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Same with our club, we take folks at their word. Review the club rules, and watch 'em fly. Low-key, because we're out to have fun. [8D]
Old 04-26-2011, 10:59 AM
dredhea
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: eddieC

Same with our club, we take folks at their word. Review the club rules, and watch 'em fly. Low-key, because we're out to have fun. [8D]
Pretty much the same with us. We look the plane over pretty carefully while they're assembling it (especially shiny new trainer planes) and cheerfully offer to assist those that "forget" their preflight. We also make very sure that they understand that instructors are available to those that want them. After that, as long as their AMA is valid, it's their call. If they know how to fly, all is well and good. If not, Buddybox or crash, we'll watch either way .
If they show up with a plane but ask"What's AMA?" they don't leave the ground without a buddybox and being signed up with an Intro Pilot.