Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

You MUST Have a Buddy With You When You Play

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

You MUST Have a Buddy With You When You Play

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 11:53 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default You MUST Have a Buddy With You When You Play

Just wondering here, how many Radio Control Airplane clubs have a rule that you must not fly alone? I have moved around quite a bit and been a member of several clubs, but I have never heard of such a rule. This rule that is in full force at one of the clubs I belong to has caused me to miss many flying days and caused me a lot of anguish.

<o></o>

My club always comes up with reasons to not fly alone, one man died at his flying site and he was alone, so you see another reason to not fly alone! Safety at all costs even when it completely ruins the fun of the hobby. I can’t think of anything better than dying at the flying field, much better than withering away in a hospital bed crapping on yourself with drool running down your shirt. I do all kinds of things alone, and in some cases it is much safer! I work in my shop alone, you can fly a full scale plane alone, I drive alone, people live alone and so on, you get the point. <o></o>

I can understand if you fly at an active full scale airport, at one of the flying sites this is not the case.<o></o>

A rule that you must fly with another person causes me to fly much less than I normally would, days are canceled when a friend backs out for some reason. You meet fewer people and are forced to fly with the ones you may not get along with. I end up dragging people to the flying field that don’t want to be there, and I end up leaving early. It is so degrading to think that as an adult I can fly a full scale aircraft, but when I play with toys I can't make my own decisions! This is serious enough to cause me to move to another state when we retire so that I can have more freedom when I fly.Another option I am seriously considering is that if I stay here I will move to full scale aviation and build my own plane, and get out of the hobby.<o></o>

This is new to me, but how many clubs out there have this rule? Worse yet, is it a trend of the future?<o></o>

Old 04-18-2011, 12:04 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: You MUST Have a Buddy With You When You Play

Why don't you just work to have the rule changed?
Old 04-18-2011, 12:23 PM
dionysusbacchus

ORIGINAL: MikeL

It's one of them rules that will never change or go away, kind of like a temporary government program.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:41 PM
warningshot

ORIGINAL: dionysusbacchus

Just wondering here, how many Radio Control Airplane clubs have a rule that you must not fly alone? I have moved around quite a bit and been a member of several clubs, but I have never heard of such a rule. This rule that is in full force at one of the clubs I belong to has caused me to miss many flying days and caused me a lot of anguish.

<o></o>

My club always comes up with reasons to not fly alone, one man died at his flying site and he was alone, so you see another reason to not fly alone! Safety at all costs even when it completely ruins the fun of the hobby. I can’t think of anything better than dying at the flying field, much better than withering away in a hospital bed crapping on yourself with drool running down your shirt. I do all kinds of things alone, and in some cases it is much safer! I work in my shop alone, you can fly a full scale plane alone, I drive alone, people live alone and so on, you get the point. <o></o>

I can understand if you fly at an active full scale airport, at one of the flying sites this is not the case.<o></o>

A rule that you must fly with another person causes me to fly much less than I normally would, days are canceled when a friend backs out for some reason. You meet fewer people and are forced to fly with the ones you may not get along with. I end up dragging people to the flying field that don’t want to be there, and I end up leaving early. It is so degrading to think that as an adult I can fly a full scale aircraft, but when I play with toys I can't make my own decisions! This is serious enough to cause me to move to another state when we retire so that I can have more freedom when I fly. Another option I am seriously considering is that if I stay here I will move to full scale aviation and build my own plane, and get out of the hobby. <o></o>

This is new to me, but how many clubs out there have this rule? Worse yet, is it a trend of the future? <o></o>

Next timne you want to fly call the club president and tell him he is needed at the field so you can fly. After a few phone calls maybe the rule will get changed.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:47 PM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When I read this sort of stuff ... I could scream.

Don't they need the life choking out of 'em ... those eejits on the committees of model aeroplane clubs?

Explain to them that you're a full-grown adult and that the conduct of your flying is your business ... and only your business.

I mean, I expect this guff over here, in Europe, where we've been infantilised. But, in America? It saddens me to hear it.

Luckily for me, I fly with a bunch of (mostly) strong-minded individuals and all the petty would-be -bureaucrat-types get told to go **** themselves.

You can always tell "that type", you know. Usually found in the corner, having NO FUN.

As a matter of interest, "that type" tend to proliferate within the ranks of our BMFA ... do they infect your AMA in the same fashion?
Old 04-18-2011, 01:06 PM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: warningshot

<o></o>

A rule that you must fly with another person causes me to fly much less than I normally would, days are canceled when a friend backs out for some reason. You meet fewer people and are forced to fly with the ones you may not get along with. I end up dragging people to the flying field that don’t want to be there, and I end up leaving early. It is so degrading to think that as an adult I can fly a full scale aircraft, but when I play with toys I can't make my own decisions! This is serious enough to cause me to move to another state when we retire so that I can have more freedom when I fly. Another option I am seriously considering is that if I stay here I will move to full scale aviation and build my own plane, and get out of the hobby. <o></o>

This is new to me, but how many clubs out there have this rule? Worse yet, is it a trend of the future? <o></o>

Next timne you want to fly call the club president and tell him he is needed at the field so you can fly. After a few phone calls maybe the rule will get changed.
Warningshot, I totally agree. If I am paying to be in the AMA and paying to fly at a club field and thats their rule, they better dam sure have a club official out there everyday. If there was no one at the field I would call up the pres. and tell him he better get is b-tt out there.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:30 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm curious how this person died to cause this rule??

Saw a friend Die at a Quickie race with 100 guys around, Just dropped dead of a heart attack, my best friends wife who was a nurse worked on him until the EMTs arived
When your number is up doesn't matter how many people are around you,

I'd say your club has a stupid rule, and is over reacting.. kinda like me having to take my shoes off to get on a plane
Old 04-18-2011, 02:09 PM
Vuela

So are you required to have a buddy on a full size plane or car or motorcycle? Rediculous.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:18 PM
dionysusbacchus

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

I'm curious how this person died to cause this rule??

Saw a friend Die at a Quickie race with 100 guys around, Just dropped dead of a heart attack, my best friends wife who was a nurse worked on him until the EMTs arived
When your number is up doesn't matter how many people are around you,

I'd say your club has a stupid rule, and is over reacting.. kinda like me having to take my shoes off to get on a plane
The dead guy was not the cause of the rule, some guy years ago cutting his finger on a prop was the reason for the rule.

<o></o>

This is the exact quote from the News Letter:<o></o>

“A flyer at another club, Jack Fellows was flying alone <o></o>

when he had an apparent heart attack and passed <o></o>

away. Just one more reason to not fly alone. If he had <o></o>

been with someone, he possibly could have received <o></o>

medical treatment and still be with us, instead it was a <o></o>

matter of some time before anybody discovered him at <o></o>

the field.” Basically we all need to be monitored by the government at all times so that nothing will ever happen to us. Kind of like a slave master I guess. <o></o>

<o></o>

http://www.bestrussiantour.com/<o></o>

bogbeagle, those were my thoughts exactly, in Russia people have more freedom. You can even fly a Mig-29 or buy a Mig-29, you can’t do this with the US Military. We like to talk about freedom in America, but it’s become more about safety and liability, basically it’s about the lawyers now. We just like to sing songs about how America used to be. Freedom is dangerous, so it's not something that people really like.<o></o>

I like the idea about calling the club officers when I want to fly! Lol!<o></o>

Thanks for all the input!

Old 04-18-2011, 04:45 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Stay in your homes,, it's what's best for you

Old 04-18-2011, 05:31 PM
SunnyFlyer09

The only scenario where a spotter should ever be mandatory is if your field is adjacent to full scale operation. (Used to belong to this club) Other than that mandatory spotters are a stupid idea (except for pilot training). I don't want anyone breathing down my neck while I'm trying to have fun.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:22 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

It's one of them rules that will never change or go away, kind of like a temporary government program.

If the majority of your club agrees with you, you can get the rules changed.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:03 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have never came across a club with such a rule and I think you should try to get it changed.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:09 PM
dionysusbacchus

ORIGINAL: TLH101

This rule is firmly in place, as a new guy it's kind of awkward to move into a club and start trying to change things, only one other person I've talked to wants to see it changed. I'm just ranting on here out of frustration, something is going to have to give though, I'm seriously considering my next project to be an Airdrome aeroplanes Fokker D-VII.

http://www.airdromeaeroplanes.com/fo...0scale%7D.html
Once I do make the decision, I'll probably never look back, I can feel the wind in my face without my buddy holding my hand already!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45681.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1595970  
Old 04-18-2011, 07:24 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Being that you are fairly close to San Antonio and Austin I would think there would be other clubs nearby.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:47 PM
Airbike
My Feedback: (6)

Well......unless the rule is written super clear, as in; what defines alone? how far away does someone else have to be? If you were flying "alone" and no one is near enough to be aware of it, then who would know?

and if another member is close enough to see that you are flying "alone", doesn't that member constitute "being there" and hence you are not "alone"? So in reality, no one can report you as being alone if they are there!!!

A tree falls in the forrest but no one is there, it does not make a noise! It makes sound waves that propagate out until it dissipates, it is only noise when it is interpreted by ears.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:00 PM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

[/quote]

[/quote]

Gotta disagree, there.

It is precisely the concept of "majority rule" that has screwed over our respective nations ... it is the enemy of individual liberty, since you can be stripped of any "right" at the whim of the majority.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:20 AM
dionysusbacchus

ORIGINAL: bogbeagle

[/quote]

Gotta disagree, there.

It is precisely the concept of ''majority rule'' that has screwed over our respective nations ... it is the enemy of individual liberty, since you can be stripped of any ''right'' at the whim of the majority.
[/quote]

Ira, I belong to two clubs and am considering joining a third, the Austin club as well, but it’s the distances, the flying field I like to fly at is the best one around and is only 6 miles away, but we can only fly on the weekends because another club member screwed weekday privileges for us, so now it’s with a buddy only on the weekends.

Airbike, it is a fenced in remote facility, if another club member shows up and you are there alone you are busted and I’ve been told that you will be kicked out of the club if you are caught.

Bodbeagle, Very well said, the U.S. was set up as a Constitutional Republic not a democracy. The construction protects the rights of the individual from the whim of the majority. RC clubs can go down that path of safety at any and all cost and there is nothing you can do.

Democracy can best be described as 99 wolves and 1 sheep voting on dinner.

What do you guys think of my Fokker D-VII? At 80 percent scale it’s really giant scale! Anyway, thanks for letting me vent, I was feeling really frustrated the last couple of weekends. Any suggestions on flying sites around the country? I prefer pavement and it must be turbine friendly and of course it must not have a buddy rule! I was thinking Florida for obvious reasons.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:24 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have flown with clubs all over the country and I have learned that some are good while others are ridiculous (Rule-wise)

If I had the choice of using another club I wouldn't look back. If not I would do as warningshot said, make a nuisance of yourself. Ask them if you are allowed to drive to and from the field alone (since that's the most dangerous part of the day) or if you are allowed to be at home by yourself.

MAYBE you can get them to change it - Then again, some of the clubs I have seen would rather slit their throats than change one of their ridiculous rules.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:03 AM
acobra
My Feedback: (40)

OK, OK, I understand you want to fly and sometimes you are there by yourself and feel the need to get airborne, DON"T! I used to think this way after all I've been flying for over 40 years and nothing had happened. Last spring I went out to test fly an OS91 powered Eindecker and just by chance I saw a buddy in Mickie D's before I went out and ask if he wanted to go with me and he said sure. So out at the field after all necessary checks I started it up and promptly put my hand into the prop and I mean BAD. Instinct took over and I grabbed my wrist, my buddy asked "Is it Bad?" I let go of the wrist and so much blood pumped out I couldn't even see the wound. My friend took off his belt and made a tourniquet of it and drove me to the hospital emergency room where they gave me shots and temporally stopped the bleeding. Then it was a 120 mile ambulance ride to the hand center in Indianapolis with a re-dressing during the trip because the wound started bleeding again. All in all 82 stitches, 4 cut tendons and a whole lot of blood lost.. I now have a little finger that is unmoving and lots of scars on my hand and other fingers. However I feel I,m lucky that my buddy was there, I truly feel that if he hadn't been there I could have bled to death because there was no way I could have driven myself to the hospital because I was going in and out of consciousness. DON"T FLY ALONE!!!!! rule or no rule.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:23 AM
pdm52956

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Slippery slope. I can certainly understand the pain of having to wait for someone to accompany you to the field.

Our club doesn't have a firm rule against flying alone but at the same time, it is better for the sake of safety in my opinion. I prefer to fly while others are around if not for safety sake, then for the company between flights. I hate it when I have to talk to myself.

Yes, you can drive by yourself but it's probably a good thing others are on the road too. At least that way when someone driving down the road paying more attention to the text message they are trying to send than they are to where they are going when they T bone you, there's someone else that can call for help if either of you need it. Just a freak thing right, but you can't be fooled into thinking "it won't ever happen to me." I'm thinking the same applies, especially with that double edged sword is swinging so close to the fingers!

Just my thoughts.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:48 AM
landeck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I do not believe there should be a club rule against flying alone, I personally will not fly alone. I have been building and flying models since 1953 and have ended up in the emergency room twice due to prop accidents. The last and most serious one was 25 years ago when I stuck my hand in the prop arc. Luckily my son was with me and he was able to drive me to the hospital. To me it just makes good sense not to fly alone. But when you are an adult, you have a right to make those personal decisions yourself but you must be willing to take responsibility for your actions.

Bruce
Old 04-19-2011, 04:49 AM
dionysusbacchus

ORIGINAL: acobra

OK, OK, I understand you want to fly and sometimes you are there by yourself and feel the need to get airborne, DON''T! I used to think this way after all I've been flying for over 40 years and nothing had happened. Last spring I went out to test fly an OS91 powered Eindecker and just by chance I saw a buddy in Mickie D's before I went out and ask if he wanted to go with me and he said sure. So out at the field after all necessary checks I started it up and promptly put my hand into the prop and I mean BAD. Instinct took over and I grabbed my wrist, my buddy asked ''Is it Bad?'' I let go of the wrist and so much blood pumped out I couldn't even see the wound. My friend took off his belt and made a tourniquet of it and drove me to the hospital emergency room where they gave me shots and temporally stopped the bleeding. Then it was a 120 mile ambulance ride to the hand center in Indianapolis with a re-dressing during the trip because the wound started bleeding again. All in all 82 stitches, 4 cut tendons and a whole lot of blood lost.. I now have a little finger that is unmoving and lots of scars on my hand and other fingers. However I feel I,m lucky that my buddy was there, I truly feel that if he hadn't been there I could have bled to death because there was no way I could have driven myself to the hospital because I was going in and out of consciousness. DON''T FLY ALONE!!!!! rule or no rule.
Good points and thanks for the advice, but don't you think it should be my choice? I've been playing with these toys since about 1974, and I figured out a way to launch my control line planes by myself in our pasture. I personally think seat belts in cars make good sense, but it's no one else’s right to tell me I have to use them. I have a phone and there are houses around the perimeter of the flying site, being alone should make you think safety. I think it was a club in the Houston area where a guy got his head almost cut completely off by a friends model helicopter, he died at the field. He was going to go home but was talked into staying by his buddy, and ended up dying because he was with his buddy. My point is, you can pass any law or rule in the name of safety, it should be a choice to either live and die doing it or die in bed having never really lived. I guess you could say I'm not preoccupied thinking about my safety constantly, so why should others be?
Old 04-19-2011, 04:53 AM
dionysusbacchus

ORIGINAL: landeck

While I do not believe there should be a club rule against flying alone, I personally will not fly alone. Bruce
I agree and respect your decision to not fly alone.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:00 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good points and thanks for the advice, but don't you think it should be my choice?
Yes, it should be.

acobra, I can completely understand your position - Your life was saved because someone happend to be there. But then, had he NOT been there, circumstances would have been different and you might not have even HAD the accident.

Life is a crap-shoot. You roll the dice and live with the consequences. If people didn't get married, MANY of us would be a lot happier that doesn't mean it should be outlawed.

Rules are there for a reason, but some rules are unresonable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.