Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

You MUST Have a Buddy With You When You Play

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

You MUST Have a Buddy With You When You Play

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 05:05 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: You MUST Have a Buddy With You When You Play

ORIGINAL: pdm52956

Slippery slope. I can certainly understand the pain of having to wait for someone to accompany you to the field.

Our club doesn't have a firm rule against flying alone but at the same time, it is better for the sake of safety in my opinion. I prefer to fly while others are around if not for safety sake, then for the company between flights. I hate it when I have to talk to myself.

I enjoy the company of others, but sometimes I just want to fly for the sake of flying. It is much easier to concentrate on your flying when you fly alone, you can practice as long as you like without any distraction. It's about freedom, life is dangerous, none of us are getting out of life alive (although some think they are!) There are many things you can do to kill yourself even if done with friends. I don't want safety or my preoccupation with it to cause me to miss out in life.

I have had a prop strike on my hand about 10 years ago, I was starting a twin engine model and after starting the engines I got a radio glitch and it lurched forward towards me, my instinct was to reach out and grab the nose of the plane and I did. Unfortunately for me the prop clearance was about 1" from the center fuselage and my right index finger got about 6 lashes as my hand slid down the fuselage. Still, it does not change my mind, if I decide to build a full scale plane my odds of dying increase dramatically in comparison to my odds of death from RC.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:13 AM
dionysusbacchus

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I have flown with clubs all over the country and I have learned that some are good while others are ridiculous (Rule-wise)

If I had the choice of using another club I wouldn't look back. If not I would do as warningshot said, make a nuisance of yourself. Ask them if you are allowed to drive to and from the field alone (since that's the most dangerous part of the day) or if you are allowed to be at home by yourself.

MAYBE you can get them to change it - Then again, some of the clubs I have seen would rather slit their throats than change one of their ridiculous rules.
Exactly, I must give credit where credit is due, the best and most friendly club I have ever been a member was the Fountain City Flyers in Prattville Alabama http://www.fcflyers.com/ I have never felt more welcome at an RC club than I was at that club.

A nuisance, lol! I guess I am doing that right now! lol! Most fear change, so a rule change will never happen, I'm pretty sure of that.

The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself! FDR
Old 04-19-2011, 06:20 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's a rule at our club but it is not enforced.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:28 AM
larry@coyotenet
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You got four choices.
1. Follow the rules
2. change the rules
3. Fly somewhere else
4. Come here and whine about it.

This forum is getting as bad as the AMA forum.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:29 AM
maahin_beri

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmmm. According to what the rule says, you don't need a flyer to be there with you, just another person. Why not try getting one of your friends to accompany you, or if none of them is willing to, why not try to convince the club to post a guard or official to check that no one flys alone. Then, no one would ever fly alone.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:40 AM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

I sometimes go out on my boat and fish alone. I sometimes ride my snowmobile alone. I certainly fly model airplanes alone.

Thank God for Forest Preserve PUBLIC fields in the Chicagoland area that cannot make rules like this. Only one rule....have to have an AMA card, which is fine by me.

For the record, there is absolutely nothing wrong with flying alone. Every activity has its inherent risks, and model planes are no exception.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:16 AM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: dionysusbacchus

ORIGINAL: pdm52956

Slippery slope. I can certainly understand the pain of having to wait for someone to accompany you to the field.

Our club doesn't have a firm rule against flying alone but at the same time, it is better for the sake of safety in my opinion. I prefer to fly while others are around if not for safety sake, then for the company between flights. I hate it when I have to talk to myself.

I enjoy the company of others, but sometimes I just want to fly for the sake of flying. It is much easier to concentrate on your flying when you fly alone, you can practice as long as you like without any distraction. It's about freedom, life is dangerous, none of us are getting out of life alive (although some think they are!) There are many things you can do to kill yourself even if done with friends. I don't want safety or my preoccupation with it to cause me to miss out in life.

I have had a prop strike on my hand about 10 years ago, I was starting a twin engine model and after starting the engines I got a radio glitch and it lurched forward towards me, my instinct was to reach out and grab the nose of the plane and I did. Unfortunately for me the prop clearance was about 1'' from the center fuselage and my right index finger got about 6 lashes as my hand slid down the fuselage. Still, it does not change my mind, if I decide to build a full scale plane my odds of dying increase dramatically in comparison to my odds of death from RC.
Please don't get me wrong. I don't advocate the "fly only with a partner program". There are times that I don't feel like putting up with all the distractions and politics that can go on when there is a group at the field and for that reason, I'm glad the club I belong to doesn't have the rule that someone else be there if another person is flying.

Getting up out of bed in the morning has it's share of risk. It's all relative but I don't feel as if being cautious on any given day is causing me to miss out on life either.

I hope you can find a compromise between yourself and the club. Good luck
Old 04-19-2011, 07:48 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Uhh...

How would they know, if no one else were there? 

I agree it shouldn't be a rule, perhaps a recommendation.  I prefer to have someone else around when flying nitros, small electrics and foamies do until another member shows up.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:56 AM
acobra
My Feedback: (40)

I understand your resistance to a rule making you do something you don't agree with and that's your prerogative but many things in life are for our own good and that of others. I don't agree with taxes but I got to pay them to enjoy life in this country, perhaps this is just one thing you have to put up with to fly where you want to fly.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:12 AM
RCER88

The club I belong to has this rule. We fly at an airport and have a good relationship with the airport. The second person "spotter" has to sit in a stand to watch for full scale aircraft. It does not have to be a pilot but a person that will be dilligent in watching for the full scale. I also belong to another club that does not have this rule. I go there when I want to fly and can't get ahold of a "flying buddy" I then just take my electrics and go fly for awhile.

If you take the time to learn who the pilots are that like to fly and are available when you are in most cases a phone call will get someone out there. With one or two others out there is not a big deal. Politics should not come into play.

One field is better for early to midday flying. East-West runway, the other a north south runway with the pilot facing east is great for afternoon and evening flying. It is always better to have another person out there.

It is just a matter of conforming to the rules so you can continue to enjoy the hobby. Do some rules suck. Absolutely! But to keep the field and enjoy the continuing relationship with the landowners and airport we just have to comply.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:15 AM
dionysusbacchus

ORIGINAL: acobra

I understand your resistance to a rule making you do something you don't agree with and that's your prerogative but many things in life are for our own good and that of others. I don't agree with taxes but I got to pay them to enjoy life in this country, perhaps this is just one thing you have to put up with to fly where you want to fly.

Now now, let’s not go putting words in others mouths, at no time did I say I have a resistance to rule making. I have a resistance to very specific rules that restrict my freedom and freedom of choice when said activity in no way infringes on another’s right to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

You believe in rules that big brother makes to protect you from yourself, well good for you, some people need that, I don’t!

Some think this is laughable today but Patrick Henry said, “give me liberty or give me death.†It’s amazing how far away that statement is from, “many things in life are for your own good.â€!!!! Patrick Henry would have cut you to ribbons for saying that to him!
Old 04-19-2011, 09:27 AM
dionysusbacchus

RCER88 I understand your situation completely, that is not the case at this particular flying site. I'm constantly on the lookout for places to fly, but this area is really not very good for RC. I used to fly at Brooks AFB on the abandoned runways, so I must admit to becoming a little spoiled when it comes to freedom. We had a great bunch of guys and endless unused runways, but they are all gone now and a Walmart was built where we used to fly!

I used to fly off the active runway at McChord AFB in Wa, of course it was with General Ray Johns, the wing commander. The tower would call us when a C-17 Globemaster was coming in for a landing and we would land our planes. When it went by we would take-off again! It's amazing what you can do when someone has balls and the authority to go with them!
Old 04-19-2011, 10:00 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I see a not so silent rebellion brewing
Old 04-19-2011, 11:43 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: acobra

I understand your resistance to a rule making you do something you don't agree with and that's your prerogative but many things in life are for our own good and that of others.

This is how we have gotten to the point where police can pull you over for not wearing a safety belt and they get away with checkpoints "to check for drunk drivers".

It's no one's business if you wear a safety belt or not, and the supreme court ruling on blanket stops is simply a trashing of the ammendments.

While I agree it is probably safer to fly with others around just in case something does happen, it is up to the individual to asses that risk to themselves.

To the O.P. I would recommend either trying to get the silly rule changed (if it is a club rule and not a landowner rule), or simply find another club.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:46 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Wow there's a lot of people in the world who think we need rules for everything. No wonder we in America are so quickly heading the way of a Soviet style dictatorship that the current guy in the Oval Office would love to be in charge of.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:00 PM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

what kind of trash is this?! NEED A BUDDY?! GET REAL....Next! too many rules at that club.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:02 PM
dionysusbacchus

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

I see a not so silent rebellion brewing
LOL! Yea right! I aint going to change squat, I'm just some serf venting on the net!

I have one really good friend that I fly with all the time, well at the most once a weekend, anyway I would feel bad to quit and leave him hanging. So this is going to be a tough decision, but my desire to build something I can fly in may be getting some help because of ridiculous rules. I was saving the money for giant Jet Legend F-15, but the kit for the full scale is only $8,000, where will I send the money?

It has been interesting, I've enjoyed the feedback and conversation, and it helps me to understand the mindset behind these types of rules, so thanks people.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:10 PM
scale only 4 me

Remember,
you can alway start a new club with guys that think like you,,,
Old 04-19-2011, 01:44 PM
Desertlakesflying

Wow someone didn't like honesty in my post.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:46 PM
Desertlakesflying

I have flown with clubs all over the country and I have learned that some are good while others are ridiculous (Rule-wise)

If I had the choice of using another club I wouldn't look back. If not I would do as warningshot said, make a nuisance of yourself. Ask them if you are allowed to drive to and from the field alone (since that's the most dangerous part of the day) or if you are allowed to be at home by yourself.

MAYBE you can get them to change it - Then again, some of the clubs I have seen would rather slit their throats than change one of their ridiculous rules.
Exactly, I must give credit where credit is due, the best and most friendly club I have ever been a member was the Fountain City Flyers in Prattville Alabama http://www.fcflyers.com/ I have never felt more welcome at an RC club than I was at that club.

A nuisance, lol! I guess I am doing that right now! lol! Most fear change, so a rule change will never happen, I'm pretty sure of that.

That was JFK..........is it just me or is there a mass effort to revise history?
Old 04-19-2011, 01:51 PM
scale only 4 me

Ask not how much you should pay attention in History Class
Old 04-19-2011, 02:02 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

Remember,
you can alway start a new club with guys that think like you,,,
Solutions aren't the idea here. It's a *****'n'moan thread.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:11 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: TLH101

ORIGINAL: MikeL

Why don't you just work to have the rule changed?
It's one of them rules that will never change or go away, kind of like a temporary government program.

If the majority of your club agrees with you, you can get the rules changed.
This rule is firmly in place, as a new guy it's kind of awkward to move into a club and start trying to change things, only one other person I've talked to wants to see it changed. I'm just ranting on here out of frustration, something is going to have to give though, I'm seriously considering my next project to be an Airdrome aeroplanes Fokker D-VII.

http://www.airdromeaeroplanes.com/fo...0scale%7D.html
Once I do make the decision, I'll probably never look back, I can feel the wind in my face without my buddy holding my hand already![img][/img]

well if you have called and you know no one is going to be out at the field............................ why dont you just fly???????
if you get caught...o well you get to hear the full story and just continue doing it, if you eventually get kicked out who cares, it was no fun anyways

or you could try to have the rule changed

those are your two options
Old 04-19-2011, 02:57 PM
Tarasdad

While not a hard and fast rule as such I have seen (and do strongly endorse) the recommendation that flying activities not be done alone. Accidents happen and it pays to have someone else handy when they do.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:58 PM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

Didn't you know FDR was John Kennedy's Baby's daddy?
ORIGINAL: CowboyLifesaver

That was JFK..........is it just me or is there a mass effort to revise history?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.