Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

You MUST Have a Buddy With You When You Play

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

You MUST Have a Buddy With You When You Play

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 03:34 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: You MUST Have a Buddy With You When You Play

Excellent idea!
Old 04-19-2011, 03:36 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

It's better to beg forgivness than ask permission!
Old 04-19-2011, 03:36 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Oh no.... I think that is a stupid AMA rule. In my club the AMA rules are posted in the bulletin board and I think I read that once.
It is not enforced. I love to fly alone, peacefully, the other day I was flying and I ran out of runway, when I walk to get the plane from the grass a couple of guys made some smart comments (The shameful walk, you know you can use all the runway, is that sweat in your forehead?).
When you fly alone you avoid those.
Safety... There was a very sad incident here in Orlando last week, an RC pilot died while he was working with one of his gassers. He was a 41 yrs old surgeon. The engine exploted and he was burned in 99% of his body. BUT THIS HAPPENED IN HIS GARAGE AT HOME with his wife and kids there, nevertheless he sadly died. Goes to tell you that at work, at home at the road or at the flying field when it is your time you will go to RC heaven.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:56 PM
HYFLYER
My Feedback: (3)

We have a rule at our feild that if you are under the age of eightteen you can not fly alone.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:24 PM
Gooseman240

ORIGINAL: HYFLYER

We have a rule at our feild that if you are under the age of eightteen you can not fly alone.
K, That is understandable.

I taught myself to fly, alone. I quite often fly, alone. I have snowmobiled, alone. I use the quad, alone. Where I am at, the population is pretty sparse so everything I do I do with extreme care, cause I am responsible for my own actions. Besides, I find I am more careless and do stupid stuff when I have an audience. Risks to everything in life, the people that created these rules are obviously scared to die, are stupid, grumpy, and are determined to make everybody else feel that way!
Old 04-19-2011, 05:21 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

It's better to beg forgivness than ask permission! 
Il Duce (Henry Ford II) IIRC.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gooseman240

K, That is understandable.

I taught myself to fly, alone. I quite often fly, alone. I have snowmobiled, alone. I use the quad, alone. Where I am at, the population is pretty sparse so everything I do I do with extreme care, cause I am responsible for my own actions. Besides, I find I am more careless and do stupid stuff when I have an audience. Risks to everything in life, the people that created these rules are obviously scared to die, are stupid, grumpy, and are determined to make everybody else feel that way!
+1

Then there are those whom it doesn't matter what age.......lol............But..........it's not our problem to regulate.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:22 PM
Desertlakesflying

removed don't know why it did that........
Old 04-19-2011, 10:26 PM
the pope

Why dont you get a blow up doll that way your never alone and if your feelin frisky well you know how that goes. Ive got a well used one if you would like to borow it. Just give it a bit of a wipe out when your done and want to return it. Cheers from the other pope.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:57 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To that should be added; If you are over 81 you cannot fly alone.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:03 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: CowboyLifesaver

ORIGINAL: dionysusbacchus

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I have flown with clubs all over the country and I have learned that some are good while others are ridiculous (Rule-wise)

If I had the choice of using another club I wouldn't look back. If not I would do as warningshot said, make a nuisance of yourself. Ask them if you are allowed to drive to and from the field alone (since that's the most dangerous part of the day) or if you are allowed to be at home by yourself.

MAYBE you can get them to change it - Then again, some of the clubs I have seen would rather slit their throats than change one of their ridiculous rules.
Exactly, I must give credit where credit is due, the best and most friendly club I have ever been a member was the Fountain City Flyers in Prattville Alabama http://www.fcflyers.com/ I have never felt more welcome at an RC club than I was at that club.

A nuisance, lol! I guess I am doing that right now! lol! Most fear change, so a rule change will never happen, I'm pretty sure of that.

The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself! FDR
That was JFK..........is it just me or is there a mass effort to revise history?

It's just you trying to revise history, you should learn to pay attention in class:

Franklin D. Roosevelt
Assuming the Presidency at the depth of the Great Depression, Franklin D. Roosevelt helped the American people regain faith in themselves. He brought hope as he promised prompt, vigorous action, and asserted in his Inaugural Address, "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself."

http://www.whitehouse.gov/about/pres...klindroosevelt
Old 04-20-2011, 04:40 AM
dionysusbacchus

ORIGINAL: MikeL

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

Remember,
you can alway start a new club with guys that think like you,,,
Solutions aren't the idea here. It's a *****'n'moan thread.
You are correct to a point, I was just interested to see what others thought. Feeling outnumbered I was wondering if others thought the same.

I enjoy the responses, and thanks to those that have responded with encouragement and solutions, trust me I have searched the area for flying sites and I am always looking.

We have two camps here, we have those that are against individual liberty and those that back individual liberty. Who are the ones that are against freedom? Is it the atheist? Is it the Religious person? I don't know!

The atheist believes in Evolution by natural selection, so it is a benefit if an organism is to stupid to survive, because it then will not pass on stupid DNA.

The religious person believes that all MEN are created equal (sorry gals!), and have the right to choose what is best for themselves, freedom. It is interesting to note that both beliefs have the same outcome, freedom and in both cases stupid DNA not being passed on to future generations.

So comrades, er I mean gentlemen, my question is, who are those people that want to go against BOTH philosophies I posted above?
Old 04-20-2011, 04:58 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: lopflyers

Oh no.... I think that is a stupid AMA rule. In my club the AMA rules are posted in the bulletin board and I think I read that once.
Oh, no....it is not an AMA rule. Never was. Your thinking or your reading must be flawed.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:13 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Being involved with dangerous things most of my life I have a lot of confidence in myself in most situations. I went falling timber alone, a thing you should not do as it is dangerous work. Long story short a tree kicked back and came down striking me and breaking my right leg just above the knee(still have the hardware). I was there on the ground for 8 plus hours and spent months recovering........
Do I fly alone? Only small planes, the larger engined ones with a buddy.
I'm old but still trainable! Would I tell someone they couldn't fly alone, no but I might suggest they not do so for their own sake.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:40 AM
dionysusbacchus

ORIGINAL: Gizmo-RCU

Being involved with dangerous things most of my life I have a lot of confidence in myself in most situations. I went falling timber alone, a thing you should not do as it is dangerous work. Long story short a tree kicked back and came down striking me and breaking my right leg just above the knee(still have the hardware). I was there on the ground for 8 plus hours and spent months recovering........
Do I fly alone? Only small planes, the larger engined ones with a buddy.
I'm old but still trainable! Would I tell someone they couldn't fly alone, no but I might suggest they not do so for their own sake.
Thanks for the advice, I've done many of the things you have done. Recently cut a limb off of a huge tree by my house by myself, only thing I broke was the front walkway into the house. Anyway, some live for the rush of danger, for some life is not worth living if it's going to be in complete safety laying on the couch. Take the many dangerous sports for example, going to the field by yourself is not dangerous, just compare statistics. As an example in 2009 51,000 people were injured riding a bike and about 1,000 got killed doing it. RC is nowhere near that dangerous. You are far more likely to die going to the field. About 34,000 people died in car crashes the same year. Flying alone and RC in general are one of the safest outdoor activities around. Do we need an ambulance to follow bike riders?
Old 04-20-2011, 05:48 AM
Desertlakesflying

ORIGINAL: CowboyLifesaver

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I have flown with clubs all over the country and I have learned that some are good while others are ridiculous (Rule-wise)

If I had the choice of using another club I wouldn't look back. If not I would do as warningshot said, make a nuisance of yourself. Ask them if you are allowed to drive to and from the field alone (since that's the most dangerous part of the day) or if you are allowed to be at home by yourself.

MAYBE you can get them to change it - Then again, some of the clubs I have seen would rather slit their throats than change one of their ridiculous rules.
Exactly, I must give credit where credit is due, the best and most friendly club I have ever been a member was the Fountain City Flyers in Prattville Alabama http://www.fcflyers.com/ I have never felt more welcome at an RC club than I was at that club.

A nuisance, lol! I guess I am doing that right now! lol! Most fear change, so a rule change will never happen, I'm pretty sure of that.

The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself! FDR
That was JFK..........is it just me or is there a mass effort to revise history?

It's just you trying to revise history, you should learn to pay attention in class:

Franklin D. Roosevelt
Assuming the Presidency at the depth of the Great Depression, Franklin D. Roosevelt helped the American people regain faith in themselves. He brought hope as he promised prompt, vigorous action, and asserted in his Inaugural Address, ''the only thing we have to fear is fear itself.''

http://www.whitehouse.gov/about/pres...klindroosevelt
Not trying to revise history, nor did I suggest you were as noted by the ................ between what I said. But hey great job accusing me, I wouldn't expect anything less from an RCU poster.

I wasn't aware that FDR had also used that line as FDR is not one of my favorite presidents since he started this whole wealth redistribution great society bull crap in earnest, that's now ruining this country. But, at least he wasn't a coward about winning wars, and wasn't apologizing for America while bowing to every two bit dictator in the world.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:51 AM
tryingagain

Hmmm. There are all manner of activities that are safer not done alone. Does that mean we deny people the opportunity to be stupid? Sometimes I would have to say yes. The FAA mandates a co-pilot for commercial air travel but in that case it is more than the pilots life on the line. In the case of RC flying? No. I don't believe it should be law. (or rule) Have I chosen to fly alone? Yes. Do I think it is the smartest thing to do? No. Both sides have merit. For me it would seem to be a better situation to have someone around in case of accident. On the other hand, it is nice to have the field to yourself on occasion. It is a reccomendation at our club but not carved in stone. I do applaud the under 18 rule. Once of age the call really should be yours. Most of us would be well served by simply having a cell phone and a first aid kit handy. If you vapour lock and go down before you can dial? At least you died doing something you love.

However you choose to fly....HAVE FUN!

Cheers

Gord
Old 04-20-2011, 05:58 AM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember,
You are correct to a point, I was just interested to see what others thought. Feeling outnumbered I was wondering if others thought the same.

I enjoy the responses, and thanks to those that have responded with encouragement and solutions, trust me I have searched the area for flying sites and I am always looking.

We have two camps here, we have those that are against individual liberty and those that back individual liberty. Who are the ones that are against freedom? Is it the atheist? Is it the Religious person? I don't know!

The atheist believes in Evolution by natural selection, so it is a benefit if an organism is to stupid to survive, because it then will not pass on stupid DNA.

The religious person believes that all MEN are created equal (sorry gals!), and have the right to choose what is best for themselves, freedom. It is interesting to note that both beliefs have the same outcome, freedom and in both cases stupid DNA not being passed on to future generations.

So comrades, er I mean gentlemen, my question is, who are those people that want to go against BOTH philosophies I posted above?
Maybe it's just me but I'm thinking there's a pretty wide gap between individual freedoms and lawlessness.

And if I remember my history, the phrase "all men are created equal" can be attributed to the Declaration of Independence more so than the battle between atheism and religion.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:13 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

That was easy

Old 04-20-2011, 06:29 AM
MikeL

Do you know who values freedoms and liberty? Those that are willing to take action to secure them. That may mean taking an oath and wearing a uniform, it may mean getting involved in politics at some active level, it may mean teaching kids. What it sure as heck doesn't mean is seeking the safety of group-think on the Internet.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:35 AM
mistermnkim
My Feedback: (153)

I fly alone most of the time, Im curious do all of the members need special training? or need to be certified as well just in case of a medical emergency at your club?
Old 04-20-2011, 07:45 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Our club has the field's address posted on the side of the shed, and a first-aid kit kept inside. We also let the local EMS/firehouse know where we are, as it's atop a landfill and not found easily. Hospital is about 15 minutes away.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:11 AM
dionysusbacchus

Do you know who values freedoms and liberty? Those that are willing to take action to secure them. That may mean taking an oath and wearing a uniform, it may mean getting involved in politics at some active level, it may mean teaching kids. What it sure as heck doesn't mean is seeking the safety of group-think on the Internet.

You are correct, I've taken an oath and did wear a uniform. You are incorrect that speaking out on the internet and exercising rights I've sacrificed for is no way to be heard, or test the waters, it's just a discussion. Not sure about kids, but I'd love to teach you a thing or two. I never said liberty was secured by getting opinions of the internet.

Trolling on the internet will never get you any respect as a man, just so you know.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:19 AM
MikeL

You are correct, I've taken an oath and did wear a uniform. You are incorrect that speaking out on the internet and exercising rights I've sacrificed for is no way to be heard, or test the waters, it's just a discussion. Not sure about kids, but I'd love to teach you a thing or two. I never said liberty was secured by getting opinions of the internet.

Trolling on the internet will never get you any respect as a man, just so you know.
You dislike my opinion on your admitted desire to seek out group-think, so you imply that I'm trolling? Nice. Pardon me for thinking that your issue is something you could resolve, if you so desired. I'll refrain from offering an opinion other than the one you're seeking in the future.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:24 AM
dionysusbacchus

ORIGINAL: pdm52956

Remember,

Maybe it's just me but I'm thinking there's a pretty wide gap between individual freedoms and lawlessness.

And if I remember my history, the phrase ''all men are created equal'' can be attributed to the Declaration of Independence more so than the battle between atheism and religion.
I made mention of no such battle, that was not my point. Men were not created (according to modern science), that would be a religious point of view in my opinion, and it is just my opinion I am not quoting a text book or something. At any rate it is not the subject of this thread and is off topic really. I was trying to be funny anyway, it's my sense of humor!

I would agree that the gap is very large between lawlessness and individual freedom, but with the stroke of a pen, anyone can become a criminal and that is what concerns me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.