Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Do I have the Right?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 05:10 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Do I have the Right?

ORIGINAL: eddieC

This article may help your decision process;

http://<font color=''#00265e''>http:...cat=500</font>

Exactly. Dogs aren't responsible; owners are

Not exactly sure how you get that from that link.

I have been around dogs all my life, and currently own a couple. But I can tell you that the saying "there are no bad dogs" is ridiculous. Pit bulls and german shepards are notorious for being sweet all their lives then turning on people they know.

I find it intersting in that article that there is even a question as to whether the dogs should be put down.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:15 AM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: JollyPopper

I have a dog that chases anything that runs or drives or rides away from him. He does it for the sport of chasing and would not bite anybody. I would hate for him to get shot by someone who mistook his chasing for an attack. I realize that you have no way of knowing that when you are being chased, so I guess you are asking a question that can only be answered on the basis that each incident is unique. My advice though would be that you might want to be very careful about shooting or spraying a dog that is chasing you. People here in Arkansas become very attached to their animals, and I suspect Texas (you are from Texas, right?) is very much the same. Just be careful.

No each incedent is NOT unique!!! The only people who know anything about that dog are the owners. They disrespect the rights of someone riding or walking down the street. Whats so hard about putting your dog on a leash??? The owners ALWAYS say "OH, he wont bite". Well how the hl is everyone else supposed to know that?? We have a park behind our home and the city ordinance requiers ALL dogs to be on a leash, But do you think the dog owners follow the law. NO. Myself and my grand children have been run at by barking dogs while in the park. Tell me how I am supposed to know what that dogs intensions are. I have told the the dog owners that if the dogs attacks again I will kill it. And you know who is to blame? Thats right, The owner.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:49 AM
pbilt024
My Feedback: (17)

I read one time on a cycling forum a couple of years ago about a guy putting the mace can on the handlebars and running a tube from it to the rear axle.  He could press the button on the can and it would spray out the back at eye level with the dogs without him being distracted by having to turn around and try to aim it at them.  It would be a pretty simple setup and I thought was a pretty good idea.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:25 AM
FlyinDaddyO
My Feedback: (19)

Plan A: outrun the dog. makes for a good sprint.

Plan B: squirt from my water bottle. usually slows them down.

Plan C: kick to the chops.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:19 AM
slick69

Here's my thinking on this. If the person who owns the animals doesn't respect the public right of way for others to use & his or her dogs run loose then they need to be taken care of up to & including death. I have taken care of many town dogs coming up to my place which is on 40 acres on the edge of the city. If people what the animals then they should take care of them we shouldn't have too!!! We/you definitly shouldn't have to worry about getting bitten or chase on public property let alone on your own property. So use what ever means possible to take care of the situation at hand & protect yourseld & your property........ God Bless!!!
Old 04-27-2011, 12:53 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought this was an RC forum? [:-]

You're all missing a perfectly good opportunity to combine the love of radio control with the hobby of riding bikes.

Take that old radio thats collecting dust in the shop and put it to good use. Grab a couple old servos, a 4.8v battery, couple extensions, TX, and a couple cans of your favorite dog repellent (mace - bleach and water - wasp spray)

Mount the TX to the handlebars. Mount the dog repellent spray cans on the rear frame rails of the bike. Dependent on the size of the dogs chasing you, adjust height of spray cans for maximum effect - usually want to hit 'em in the face. Rig a couple high torque servos so the servo horn will swing down and depress the button on the spray cans when you work the throttle stick on the TX.... or maybe just hook em to the gear switch? Lots of possibilities here.....

You can keep your eyes on the road and simply throttle up or hit the gear switch when Fido comes chasing....

RC and bike riding at the same time!! Have fun!!
Old 04-28-2011, 05:01 AM
outdoorhunting

I would never harm a dog chasing me while I was riding. As long as I knew they meant no harm.!!! I just said the most stupid thing I could say!!!! IF I was riding & a dog came charging after me, HOW THE DEVIL AM I GONNA KNOW HE MEANS NO HARM???? He could make me swerve into incoming traffic,crash & probably injure myself or someone else, destroy an expensive bike. WE ARE ALLOWED TO PROTECT OURSELVES FROM THAT TYPE OF THREAT!!!! I'm a firm believer of this. The animal's rights END when they start to attack me. I have a "concealed weapons" permitt & wouldn't think twice before dropping the "uncontroled charging animal!!" Anybody ( I might fold in PETA & probably the ACLU) that cries about the rights of the "poor animal" in a situation like that need to wake up & smell the coffee!!!I might add; If I was walking down the street at night & a fellow came charging at me with a weapon in his hand threatening me. He would be greeted with a 9mm welcome. And I don't mean a shot in the shoulder!!!!!