Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Do you own a valid passport?

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes - for business travel
16.81%
Yes - for pleasure travel
34.45%
No - never had a reason to
10.92%
No - have no intention of traveling out of country
10.92%
I''ve always had one
26.89%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Do you own a valid passport?

Old 05-03-2011, 05:07 PM
cfircav8r
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Do you own a valid passport?

I stopped going to Mexico before they started requiring passports, and all my other international travel is through the military so my orders and CAC are my passports.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:28 PM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope, no passport. I did spend more than a year overseas traveling with a military ID. Got to bring my Colt M-16 machinegun also! I did not fire any shots at people though.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:49 PM
RCB757

In the last few days I have used my passport a few times.
Sunday; Cincinnati, Ohio to Leipzig, Germany
Monday; Leipzig, Germany to Bahrain
Tuesday; Bahrain to Hong Kong
Tomorrow: Hong Kong to Khabarovsk, Russia to Anchorage.

I have two more weeks of travel ahead of me........This month.

All of this started with Model Airplanes and the influence of a man named Joe Hass who owned a small hobby shop in Wayne, Michigan.
Thank you Joe!

What do I do when I am home?
Build and fly model airplanes.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:49 PM
Minnreefer

I need to renew mine, I am pretty sure that it is expired. I would love to travel more, both inside the US and outside the US, I also need it to go to Canada (which is pretty close) There are many places in the world that I would love to see and visit, all I need it time and money.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:12 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

I have had a passport since they cost $10
I lived in Oslo for seven years. I found that most Americans think Europe is a tiny place. I had friends write me that they were going to visit Paris and I should pop down and have coffee with them. That's about like going from Dallas to Chicago for a cup of coffee
Old 05-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Crash Campbell

Hi,
Yes I do have a passport and have visited the USA, New Zealand, New Guinea and Norfolk Island. Travelling overseas allows me to make informed decisions about my own country as well as those that I visit. We visit New Zealand every year for the skiing in the South Island and look forward to soon visiting Europe, my wife is originally from the Netherlands. It never ceases to amaze me how little many people know about their own country let alone "overseas" locations.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 05-03-2011, 09:50 PM
tommygun32

Poll added thanks to MJ's suggestion.

I didn't realize there was a F1 track being built in Austin. Sweet.

Think the city planners should just head to Florida and see how Disney World sorted the traffic issues.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:53 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have visited almost every state in the union. I have traveled to many countries. I am fortunate to have such opportunities in my life. The United States is great, but I would never give up my wonderful memories gathered from the far corners of the world.

The beautiful things that I have returned with are the envy of my mother's friends. I can only hope that I treat foreigners nearly as well as they have treated me. I love traveling and they will have to pry my passport out of my cold hands.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:46 AM
Trinut
My Feedback: (26)

I do. Been to Germany, England and France. Paris is my favorite so far. The Eifel Tower is just amazing to see in person.
My kids do too. A couple of them went to France by themselves when they were teenagers. One of them is a French Minor, doing a semester of College there now.
She just went to Nice, Monaco, Corsica, Pisa and Florance on her Spring Break. She is doing something in Alaska this summer, I'm not sure what.

People in Europe travel to other countries the way we travel to other states, the countries are the size of states here.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:43 AM
RCER88
My Feedback: (25)

No passport, but I had a green ID card. Marine Corps ten years (78-88) been to to the med and seen many countries there. Spain, france, Italy, Isreal, Greece. And others. Been to Asia. Japan, Korea, Singapore, Iwakuni, okinawa, Hong Kong, Phillipines, and others. 55 days off the coast of Lebanon during the hostage crisis. (that sucked) Been to all fifty states Alaska and Hawaii during the service years and all the rest driving truck. Add up all the miles I have travelled over the years pushing four million.

I would like to see Australia but I do not fly anymore. (Cheated death enough in the service.) Might ride a slow boat though. That way I can take at least one plane.

And of course Canada and Mexico long before the new regs. I used to dash across southern ontario on a regular basis headed toward new england states driving truck. That way I would save a day in travel. instead of going around the bottom of lake erie. Cross at Port huron Michigan and reenter the US at niagra falls (buffalo). I lived in Texas for awhile and went to Mexico shopping on occasion.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:17 AM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: 378

Not yet, but someday I will fly to Europe. I want to visit a taping of Top Gear and I want to blast around the Nurburgring in a sports car, and those things don't happen here in the US.

The Nurburgring is indeed a lovely place. I wish the original layout were still in use for F-1. (Lebanon, Tn is also in some very nice countryside,BTW)

378, You are within overnight trip distance of Barbor Motorsports Park as well as Road Atlanta. Do uou ever attend any events at those venues?

Some have posted thet many Europeans lack a grasp of the vast scale of the US. On the other hand I am always struck by how ai seems everyone in Europe and much of Russia is multilingual. I suppost that comes from crossing National Boundries likee we cross state lines.

jess
Old 05-04-2011, 08:18 AM
hsukaria

Do you need a passport to go to Miami, FL? Cuz, well, never mind!!!
Old 05-04-2011, 08:50 AM
tommygun32

At the moment, no. But who knows.....that may change some day....

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

Old 05-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Wingdinger2

Yes, I have a passport. Only used a very few times to travel a bit. (I'm still young) I'm satisfied with living here, but I want to see the rest of the world, too! I highly advise traveling, not just the hot tourist attractions, go where the common people live. Case in point, Mexico, or a remote Ukrainian village. (been to both) It will seriously show you how spoiled we Americans are. A greater worldview is a good thing folks, makes you care about people other than just yourself!!!
Old 05-04-2011, 09:33 AM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

At the moment, no. But who knows.....that may change some day....

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

I just came back from there 2 weeks ago. You would think that I would be used to that place since a lot of my relatives live there. But I got used to the prompt and courteous treatment of customers when you walk into a store like we are so used to here in the US and some European countries (where I have to use my passport, of course).
Old 05-04-2011, 10:59 AM
flyathome
My Feedback: (7)

Now have my second passport. Lived in Japan four years serving as a missionary. My current passport is used for
mission trips, Haiti last November and again this October. Also, a trip to Cali, Colombia several years ago for a
church conference. Living and traveling outside the USA will make you truly appreciate what we have in this country.

Steve
Old 05-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Yes, I've had one for years, keep it renewed. Had to have it for business travel but now it is easier to renew than to go for a new one and who knows when "travel papers" will be required here in the good old US of A in the interest of "National Security". With the world situation now you couldn't pay me to go out of the country. And I refuse to go along with the airline hassle unless absolutely necessary.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:57 AM
mike79

I dont have one. I live acroos the street from Mexico. No seriously, I'm looking out the door at the black fence (mexico/arizona border). When I went to Mexico all I needed was a social security card, this was about two years ago. Things have really changed since then. I'm thinking of getting a passport because things really are cheaper in mexico (prescriptions, shrimp), I just have not got one yet... Now you guys got me thinking if I evver will. =].
Old 05-04-2011, 12:14 PM
tommygun32

Interestingly enough, coming from San Diego and having gone to TJ and Baja many times in my life....lived in Brownsville, TX for about a year and some months and going to Matamoros, as well as spending 8 months in El Paso, Texas with day/night trips to Juarez, I wouldn't go there anymore to save my life. I actually feel a whole lot safer here in Dubai than I would in ANY US/Mexico border town at the moment.

Not having a go at you mike, just stating my feelings...[&:]

ORIGINAL: mike79

I dont have one. I live acroos the street from Mexico. No seriously, I'm looking out the door at the black fence (mexico/arizona border). When I went to Mexico all I needed was a social security card, this was about two years ago. Things have really changed since then. I'm thinking of getting a passport because things really are cheaper in mexico (prescriptions, shrimp), I just have not got one yet... Now you guys got me thinking if I evver will. =].
Old 05-04-2011, 12:21 PM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

Yes, I've had one for years, keep it renewed. Had to have it for business travel but now it is easier to renew than to go for a new one and who knows when ''travel papers'' will be required here in the good old US of A in the interest of ''National Security''. With the world situation now you couldn't pay me to go out of the country. And I refuse to go along with the airline hassle unless absolutely necessary.
If you don't like airline hassles, don't fly through Miami, FL. Bad experience.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:49 PM
modeltronics
My Feedback: (27)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Tommygun32
I can walk out of the plant I am at and see Juarez MX. I spent 4 years working over there. I used to go over there for anything from a hair cut to going out to eat and drink. I don't go there now. Every weekend there is anywhere from 25 to 75 people killed. There have been guns shot from Juarez into the buildings downtown El Paso. Not a safe place.

Pete
Old 05-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Red B.

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer
... I have friends, relatives and business associates in Europe who are always amazed at the vastness of the US. I was speaking to some of my UK clients recently about going to the Toledo Show. I told them that I was flying to it because it was a 14 hour drive. They said, ''You can't drive for 14 hours anywhere in the UK unless you're going in circles''

Some friends of mine (here in Minnesota) had a group of foreign exchange students staying with them. When asked what they wanted to do on the upcoming weekend they said, ''We want to drive to Hollywood for the day''. Europeans have no idea of how BIG this country is!
It seems that some people in the U.S. have no idea of the size of Europe ;-).
Even when excluding the Russian federation and Greenland, which belongs to Denmark, the total land area of Europe is 2 525 968 sq.miles., i.e., 81% of the size of the contiguous United States.
The distance between the norternmost part of Europe (North Cape) and the souternmost part (Gibraltar) is 2424 miles, which is almost exactly the distance between New York and Los Angeles (2451 miles)

The distance between the norternmost and the southernmost part of Sweden where I live is 978 miles, i.e., slightly more than the distance between Washington DC and Miami FL.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:03 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

I like to occasionally go into Canda for a little fishing so I keep mine up to date. Mexico, forget about it..
Old 05-04-2011, 02:31 PM
tommygun32

ORIGINAL: modeltronics

Tommygun32
I can walk out of the plant I am at and see Juarez MX. I spent 4 years working over there. I used to go over there for anything from a hair cut to going out to eat and drink. I don't go there now. Every weekend there is anywhere from 25 to 75 people killed. There have been guns shot from Juarez into the buildings downtown El Paso. Not a safe place.

Pete
I used to only be able to get a proper high and tight flat top in a Mexican border town. Yet I couldn't in the US barber shops? I'm sorry to hear about flying bullets....

Old 05-04-2011, 02:42 PM
tommygun32

All of Europe is absolutely amazing......I'd love to take a simple steam train ride throug Switzerland......[&:]....during the summer time....[8D]

ORIGINAL: Red B.

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer
... I have friends, relatives and business associates in Europe who are always amazed at the vastness of the US. I was speaking to some of my UK clients recently about going to the Toledo Show. I told them that I was flying to it because it was a 14 hour drive. They said, ''You can't drive for 14 hours anywhere in the UK unless you're going in circles''

Some friends of mine (here in Minnesota) had a group of foreign exchange students staying with them. When asked what they wanted to do on the upcoming weekend they said, ''We want to drive to Hollywood for the day''. Europeans have no idea of how BIG this country is!
It seems that some people in the U.S. have no idea of the size of Europe ;-).
Even when excluding the Russian federation and Greenland, which belongs to Denmark, the total land area of Europe is 2 525 968 sq.miles., i.e., 81% of the size of the contiguous United States.
The distance between the norternmost part of Europe (North Cape) and the souternmost part (Gibraltar) is 2424 miles, which is almost exactly the distance between New York and Los Angeles (2451 miles)

The distance between the norternmost and the southernmost part of Sweden where I live is 978 miles, i.e., slightly more than the distance between Washington DC and Miami FL.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.