Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Do you own a valid passport?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes - for business travel
16.81%
Yes - for pleasure travel
34.45%
No - never had a reason to
10.92%
No - have no intention of traveling out of country
10.92%
I''ve always had one
26.89%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Do you own a valid passport?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 04:31 PM
skyhawk019
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Do you own a valid passport?

i do but i don't, it is a goverment passport, so i can't use just when ever i want
Old 05-04-2011, 11:44 PM
tommygun32

hmmmmm...."i do but i don't"....that sounds like something the government would say...LOL (joke)

ORIGINAL: skyhawk019

i do but i don't, it is a goverment passport, so i can't use just when ever i want
Old 05-04-2011, 11:50 PM
tommygun32

I want your job....[&:]

ORIGINAL: RCB757

In the last few days I have used my passport a few times.
Sunday; Cincinnati, Ohio to Leipzig, Germany
Monday; Leipzig, Germany to Bahrain
Tuesday; Bahrain to Hong Kong
Tomorrow: Hong Kong to Khabarovsk, Russia to Anchorage.

I have two more weeks of travel ahead of me........This month.

All of this started with Model Airplanes and the influence of a man named Joe Hass who owned a small hobby shop in Wayne, Michigan.
Thank you Joe!

What do I do when I am home?
Build and fly model airplanes.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:07 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

I want your job....[&:]

ORIGINAL: RCB757

In the last few days I have used my passport a few times.
Sunday; Cincinnati, Ohio to Leipzig, Germany
Monday; Leipzig, Germany to Bahrain
Tuesday; Bahrain to Hong Kong
Tomorrow: Hong Kong to Khabarovsk, Russia to Anchorage.

I have two more weeks of travel ahead of me........This month.

All of this started with Model Airplanes and the influence of a man named Joe Hass who owned a small hobby shop in Wayne, Michigan.
Thank you Joe!

What do I do when I am home?
Build and fly model airplanes.
Me too!! But I might have stayed in Leipzig a little longer.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:21 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

I think more people would have them if they weren't over $100
Old 05-05-2011, 05:49 AM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: daven

The cost adds up when you have to get them for the whole family. But the process is quite fast and efficient nowadays.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:56 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

The cost adds up when you have to get them for the whole family. But the process is quite fast and efficient nowadays.
Ican vouch for both of these. Because if the timing involved in getting mine and having to get the visa to travel Iopted to expidite the processing of my passport. The passport cost $180, $25 processing fee, and $18 for the overnight postage to get it there. However, Ihad my passport back in my hands in 10 days from sending it in!!!!

Ken
Old 05-05-2011, 06:19 AM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: RCKen

I can vouch for both of these. Because if the timing involved in getting mine and having to get the visa to travel I opted to expidite the processing of my passport. The passport cost $180, $25 processing fee, and $18 for the overnight postage to get it there. However, I had my passport back in my hands in 10 days from sending it in!!!!

Ken
I didn't have to expedite, but I had to get them for 5 persons. That adds up. You would think that the Federal Gov't is trying to pay off the Deficit with these prices!!
Old 05-05-2011, 06:25 AM
littlera

I am retired now, so have more time to travel. I take at least two international trips per year, especially since my daughter started working in London. I have been to more than 60 countries. Last year my passport got full and I had to send it in to get more pages. I got this in while it was free - about a month later they starting charging for this service.

Many have commented about how great the sights are in the USA. This is DEFINITELY true. However, we should not close or minds to traveling to other lands. It can be a wonderful experience. Many people, especially in Asia, are curious about Americans, and will gladly converse with you about the similarities and differences between cultures.

There is a lot to see in this world. See some of it if you can. You will be rewarded with wonderful memories. Be an ambassador for your country.

littlera
Old 05-05-2011, 06:37 AM
Captain Terrific
My Feedback: (2)

After 27 yrs in the Navy, I've traveled enough. I don't have one nor see any use for one. I have no intentions of traveling outside this country.

Dave
Old 05-05-2011, 10:09 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: daven

I do not think so. What is $100 if you travel abroad. And it lasts 10 years on top of that (except for kids)... About 12 years ago I was traveling to Argentina on business and I did take my youngest son with me. I knew our passports were in order. The night before, I found out the kid's passports have to be renewed more frequently. The day we had to travel (out of NY) I went with my son to Philadelphia, and they have a service where they renew the passport in the day (there was a fee). To make a long story short, we were able to travel that night... The service was great.

Since that stressful day, I check the passports very carefully way ahead of time:-)

8 years ago we moved to our current home, and we lost the passports. Well, when I went looking for them, I could not find them. Since we had to travel to Scandinavia, I spent 2 days looking for the darn passports in the new house. To no avail, we had to re-do 3 passports. Two weeks after sending in the renewal the passports appeared in a closet in my son's bedroom (still in the plastic folder I was looking for). They were left there by mistake while unpacking. I never looked in my son's bedroom... Of course, we found them when we were not looking for them anymore... Oh welll...

Gerry
Old 05-06-2011, 04:38 PM
jimmyjames213

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I don't. As amazing as this country is, I see no reason to ever leave it.

I have friends, relatives and business associates in Europe who are always amazed at the vastness of the US. I was speaking to some of my UK clients recently about going to the Toledo Show. I told them that I was flying to it because it was a 14 hour drive. They said, ''You can't drive for 14 hours anywhere in the UK unless you're going in circles''

Some friends of mine (here in Minnesota) had a group of foreign exchange students staying with them. When asked what they wanted to do on the upcoming weekend they said, ''We want to drive to Hollywood for the day''. Europeans have no idea of how BIG this country is!

Compare a visit to Maine with a weekend in Florida. Washington state with the Jersey shore. Mount Rushmore to the Alamo. Meteor Crator to Devil's Tower.

I'll stay right here
amen to that, ive done the overseas thing and while its alot of fun, theirs nothing better than road tripping across the country, or just flying wherever you need to go and seeing something totally different, a 6 hour plane trip will get you from the planes of ks to the desert in vegas or to nyc pick your choice, America is where it is at.
the only thing we dont have is alot of that "ancient architecture" cathedrals from the 1500's and whatnot... o well landscapes are better than buildings
either way theirs so much to see in the USA alone why go elsewhere until you have seen it all here
Old 05-06-2011, 05:36 PM
air mail rcu

Yes I have one. We go on a lot of cruises and if anything would happen back home where we would want to fly back you need a passport to board a plane outside of the USA.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:44 PM
JCOKEEFE

Maybe yes, maybe no. What does it matter???
Old 05-06-2011, 07:43 PM
piper28

ORIGINAL: RCKen

I can vouch for both of these. Because if the timing involved in getting mine and having to get the visa to travel I opted to expidite the processing of my passport. The passport cost $180, $25 processing fee, and $18 for the overnight postage to get it there. However, I had my passport back in my hands in 10 days from sending it in!!!!

Ken
Heh, and that Brazil visa isn't real fun either (although did you have to get a non-tourist one? Don't know what those run, I just remember paying for the tourist one.).

I do cruises, so have passport. Also have the passport card to make it easier to carry around in case we decide on the spur of the moment to head to Canada.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:18 AM
hsukaria

We should buy Canada and then not have to worry about passports to go there.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:18 AM
guys2nv

Last time I had a passport I was 10yrs old taking a trip to germany-I'm now almost 30 and haven't had a passport since. No need to leave the U.S anymore.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:34 AM
tommygun32

I've was born in Puerto Rico (Navy bratt), we lived there for 2 years then my mom divorced and moved to Germany with my brother and I. We lived there for 8 years and every year we would travel to another European country, so my bro and I had our own passports.

We moved (back) to the States, San Diego (where both my parents were born) in '76. The passports went forgotten from them until '91 - '92 when I got offered a job over-seas. Have had 3 since then. Had to add pages to my first one about half way through its validity.

As much as I love the Bohemian wander lust I've pretty much 'settled' for the moment. And as it's currently Dubai, I still don't consider this to be "home".

I agree, as cool as travelling and experiencing other cultures and countries is....I love the good 'ol US.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:40 AM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

ORIGINAL: Captain Terrific

After 27 yrs in the Navy, I've traveled enough. I don't have one nor see any use for one. I have no intentions of traveling outside this country.

Dave

Traveling with the military can be fun at times, however there were things I would rather not see again. I always returned to the US thinking this is where I belong, home of the free!