Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

How do you install a exhaust deflector?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

How do you install a exhaust deflector?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 10:57 AM
stu48

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed a YS DZ70 on a 5.5 lb 60" Extra 260 from Aeroworks. The supplied muffler had only a short tailpipe on the exhaust end which would dump all of the exhaust inside the cowl and engine compartment. I cleaned the tail of the muffler and aluminum soldered two wraps of small aluminum wire around the muffler tailpipe. The bottom of the thermometer dropped out when Flying time came. I'm waiting for a day in the high 50's, it's not raining, and when the wind isn't blowing 20 mph.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:36 PM
bikerbc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stu48 I am interested to know if Aeroworks stepped up to the plate to help you with your muffler issue or do you feel that this was not a design error ? Reading over your post I felt that your muffler should have cleared the cowl unless this had been discussed in the assembly manual . I hope you have this problem solved .
Old 02-18-2015, 06:38 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use them on most of my planes that have stock mufflers and they do help. I have a Stylus 60 with a 45 degree mounted ASP .61 and a 1/4 scale cub with a 90 degree mounted Magnum .91 four stroke. These two planes get practically no fuel residue on them thanks to the deflectors. I also have them on all of my trainer planes (Three Avistars, a Super Star, and a Sierra 60) What little fuel does accumulate is usually on the underside of the horizontal stab. They will cause a slight performance loss, but not really noticeable on the aircraft I mentioned. Any plane in which I am really concerned about performance has a Mac or Pitts anyway.