Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

MY RCU Pet Peeve

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 07:59 AM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MY RCU Pet Peeve

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

It's not jerkish behavior to tell a lazy newbie to use the search feature or to read the stickys. I read the beginner forum regularly, and sometimes there will be two or three different threads on the exact same basic question all on the first page! It clutters up the forum and actually makes finding information harder. Case in point: there is a thread there now asking what the best trainer is. That thread comes up at least once a week, so much so that there is a sticky at the top of the page to list appropriate starter planes. Answering that question or any other FAQ item yet again is like giving a bum money for panhandling on the side of the road. All you do is encourage more of the same behavior, and you actually impede the newbie from learning how to research things himself.
I do anything I can to help new guys, but the best way to help them is to teach them how to mine the forum for the immense wealth of information that is here. If they still have questions after that, then by all means they should post.
Yes, but that can be said about every aspect of our hobby.. The fact is, why let it bother you.. You could answer the question for the newbie and politely tell him how to use the search function and help them in that way...
But I have seen way to many folks get jumped for asking a common question and that just stinks...

This is a good thread, maybe it will open the eyes of the ones who need a lesson in manners..

Old 05-30-2011, 04:09 PM
RoyR

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

Then the original wording was poor with what I thought was ''internet lingo'' which further added to the confusion.
You just brought up my overall pet peeve on the internet, period. "internet lingo" "cell phone shorthand" whatever it's called, including spelling where you don't even recognize the word, horrible grammar etc.. Especially when it's followed by "excuse my spelling, grammar, etc, Im to lazy to go back and re-read what I just wrote that hundreds of people will be seeing"
But don't get me started, my head would explode.

But back to this topic. I'm glad we have people like RCKen and Minnflyer on here. As an experienced RCer I have gotten many good ideas from them, even though I didn't ask the question.
As far as what is perceived as a dumb question, or ones that have been asked a million times. I was a helicopter pilot for over 40 years. My early career I flew by myself on the job. Later I worked where two pilots were required. As the captain of the aircraft, I had to work with very new inexperienced co-pilots. You can imagine some of the questions I got from new guys. (I won't use the term we called them. lol)
You can imagine how long my job would have lasted if I answered with, "It's in the flight manual dummy, look it up" or "Come on, didn't you learn anything in flight school?"
I was also a flight instructor in Airplanes for a while. And I can tell you I got great satisfaction when someone was having trouble understanding a maneuver or some aspect of flying and I was able to figure out what to show or tell them to get the light bulb turned on in their head.

Like many of you I also like to help people (new or experienced) understand or discover something about RC that they didn't know before.
True, in Aviation, part of the learning process is Learning how to Look things up, like FARs or Specs on the aircraft. But Looking up things in a flight manual and the FARs is a matter of learning how to do it. Those books have an order and an index, and you don't have to read the whole book to find a specific regulation. Forums have no order, no logic. Even after searching for the topic you have to look through hundreds of pages individually to find the answer to one question. So telling someone "look it up" without showing them where to look (if you even know), does no one any good.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:19 AM
warningshot

ORIGINAL: CowboyLifesaver

ORIGINAL: Ed

'' It's not just RCU. It happens on every forum. It's even worse if the forum is small, and there is a 'clique' of frequent posters who will usually brutalize a newbie who asks the 'same old question'. ''

You got that one right vicman ! Worst that I ever experienced are the pompous A-holes over on Knife Edge. It's unbelieveable how the moderator permits them to treat newbies. Shamefull .... not a class act ! []
You'd be surprised how much some of the moderators on here let their buddies get away with too.

Just write a post about how you sometimes fly at a non-AMA field and watch the breaking of every RCU rule begin with little input from most moderators.
So what is wrong with flying at a NON-AMA field? I do it all the time.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:22 AM
RoyR

ORIGINAL: warningshot

'' It's not just RCU. It happens on every forum. It's even worse if the forum is small, and there is a 'clique' of frequent posters who will usually brutalize a newbie who asks the 'same old question'. ''

You got that one right vicman ! Worst that I ever experienced are the pompous A-holes over on Knife Edge. It's unbelieveable how the moderator permits them to treat newbies. Shamefull .... not a class act ! []
You'd be surprised how much some of the moderators on here let their buddies get away with too.

Just write a post about how you sometimes fly at a non-AMA field and watch the breaking of every RCU rule begin with little input from most moderators.
Me too, and I fly in my back yard.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:18 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

It really all comes down to common courtesy in my book. The same guy that yells at a newby for not doing a search, is the same guy that flys out of the pattern,tunes his engine on the runway , and is a left lane bandit.

David
Old 05-31-2011, 08:32 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: warningshot

The one, and only, way to fly at an AMA field is to go to the AMA National Flying Site at Muncie, Indiana. Otherwise, there is no such thing.

I guess that's my pet peeve. People who don't know that the AMA does not, and can not, charter or sanction a flying site.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:49 AM
RoyR

It's not jerkish behavior to tell a lazy newbie to use the search feature or to read the stickys.
OK, I have been on RCUniverse over five year and I have no idea what a "Sticky" is, and it took me a few days, if not weeks to figure how the "Search" feature worked. (especially since it was down a lot when I was trying to learn" I have no problem imagining someone new wanting to ask a question before they know their way around here.
I'm not stupid when it comes to computers, but there are things I just haven't learned. Actually, I have even asked certain questions about different symbols and icons on this forum only to have many people come back with, "I'm glad you asked that, I have been wondering myself." And still no one giving me an answer. So someone not knowing what a 'sticky' is is no reason to get upset with them.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:42 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: RoyR

OK, I have been on RCUniverse over five year and I have no idea what a "Sticky" is......
Roy,
When you go to a Forum listing it gives you a list of threads in that forum. This list adjusts so that the thread with the most recent post in it will be at the top of the list. When a thread not longer gets new posts in it the thread will slowly slip down the Forum list as newer threads take their place at the top of the list. And there is where a "Sticky"comes in. The Moderators and Administrators can "Sticky"a thread so that is always stays at the top of the Forum list, regardless of the last post within that thread. Stickies are usually reserved for threads that have important or very helpful information in them, and by making them a sticky they get more attention and are quicker to find for members. Go to any Forum listing and you will see the first threads in that list will say "Sticky"next to them. These threads will always be at the top.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 05-31-2011, 11:57 AM
RoyR

Thanks Ken,
I'll see if I can put it to use now.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:16 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't get mad at a new guy for not knowing how to find the information (like stickys). I just don't refrain from redirecting him when he asks.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Mike in DC

It's not jerkish behavior to tell a lazy newbie to use the search feature or to read the stickys. ... Case in point: there is a thread there now asking what the best trainer is. That thread comes up at least once a week, so much so that there is a sticky at the top of the page to list appropriate starter planes.
Yes it is! Non-jerkish behavior is to ignore the threads you don't want to contribute to, and let other non-burned-out people answer.

In my experience, it's extremely rare for two people to ask the exact same question. "What is the best trainer" is a perfect example. It's not really the same question. Asked just like that, 100 people will give you 100 different answers. To answer the question usefully, you really have to listen very carefully to the poster. What are his resources? Where does he live? Where will he fly? What is his background? Where does he want to go in the sport/hobby? How good is his eyesight? Even if the question is really narrowly defined (rare), the passage of time makes a huge difference. The model of trainer suggested in a previous thread probably don't even exist any more.

I believe it is totally jerkish behavior to in any way criticize someone for asking a question. Asking questions is the point of the forum. I don't think anybody should regret having asked a question. If you don't want to answer it, then move on. There will be someone else who enjoys answering questions.

By the way, a nice comment like this is always welcome: "Hi ____, there's a lot of good information on this thread" and give the URL. That's not the same as telling someone to "go search".

Old 06-01-2011, 08:36 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

When I first joined RCU, I lurked and used the search feature for two weeks before posting my first question. I did that specifically because I didn't want to clutter up the forum with beginner level questions that had been answered dozens of times. When I finally did post, it was a question that I couldn't find an answer for using the search, and I got really helpful responses because I already knew enough to ask the right question with the right terminology. Now if I can do that, why can't others?