Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Angle Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 10:30 AM
Crash90
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Angle Conversion?

Is there an easy way to convert degree of angle to a metric or standard measuerment? For example. high rate 35 degrees on ailerons = High rate 110mm I realize that the depth of the control surface would be a variable.
Old 08-14-2003, 11:07 AM
Lightfoot
My Feedback: (1)

With a calculator, this can be done easily. If you are using a Windows operating system on your computer, then you have a scientific calculator readily available. All you have to do is take the width of the control surface at the point that you will be measuring the throw and multiply that times the sin of the angle. That will give you the linear measurement for the angle.

As an example, let's say that your rudder is 3 inches wide and your throw is 35 degrees. You will enter 35 into the calculator and press the "sin" key. This will give you a number of 0.5735764363. Press the "*" key then enter 3 for the width of the rudder and presse "Enter". The result is 1.72072930905 or approximately 1 3/4". The will be the measurement for the throw.

It is harder to describe the procedure than it is to actually do it.
Old 08-14-2003, 11:15 AM
Borzak
My Feedback: (2)

Better yet go to home depot or lowes and get a foot/inch calculator.

Then all you'd have to do is

enter 35 degrees (or bevel or whatever)
1-1/4" base for the lenght of the aileron
Hit enter
Then it will give you the rise (how high the aileron lifts) in inches then you can conver to mm/m or whatever you want.

Great for scale projects too cause you can enter 23'-3" 7/16 and multiply by 42% if you have a 42% scale machine or divide a foot inch by 5 to get 5 equal bays etc...

They're pretty cheap nowdays at home centers and worth every penny.
Old 08-14-2003, 12:27 PM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

Originally posted by Lightfoot
With a calculator, this can be done easily. If you are using a Windows operating system on your computer, then you have a scientific calculator readily available. All you have to do is take the width of the control surface at the point that you will be measuring the throw and multiply that times the sin of the angle. That will give you the linear measurement for the angle.

As an example, let's say that your rudder is 3 inches wide and your throw is 35 degrees. You will enter 35 into the calculator and press the "sin" key. This will give you a number of 0.5735764363. Press the "*" key then enter 3 for the width of the rudder and presse "Enter". The result is 1.72072930905 or approximately 1 3/4". The will be the measurement for the throw.

It is harder to describe the procedure than it is to actually do it.
At least someone was awake in Trig class

If only your math teacher could be here to see it