Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Free Air Show in So. Cal. - Hemet Ryan Airport, 11 June 2011

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Free Air Show in So. Cal. - Hemet Ryan Airport, 11 June 2011

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 07:21 PM
rcphotog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Free Air Show in So. Cal. - Hemet Ryan Airport, 11 June 2011

Great airshow this weekend in southern California, 11 June 2011 and it's FREE !

http://www.hemet-ryanairshow.org/Per...4/Default.aspx

I went to this show in '05 and it was great and I've been waiting for it to return. They don't have it every year. There will be a couple new acts / performers this year including the Air Force A-10 and C-17 Demo teams.

Plenty of top notch civilian aerobatic demo acts also. Edge 540, Pitts S-2b, SU-26, Extra 330

Warbirds also.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:48 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Free Air Show in So. Cal. - Hemet Ryan Airport, 11 June 2011

I sure hope somebody gets some good video footage to show on RCU. I love air shows.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:43 AM
rcphotog

ORIGINAL: JollyPopper

I sure hope somebody gets some good video footage to show on RCU. I love air shows.
I'm editing my video. I shot about 2 hours and I'm making a highlight tape. Nothing fancy just some highlights.

It was a pretty good show. The Planes of Fame Museum brought the B-25, SBD Dauntlas, P-38 and Corsair. The P-38 flew the Heritage flight with the A-10 and also made a few passes with slow rolls and the A-10 put on a ground attack / close-air support demo. The C-17 made a few passes.

Some of the static displays included DC-3, Beech 18s, Ryan PT-22s, AT-6, T-28, Northrop F-5 Freedom Fighter, Mig-21, L-29, that giant Russian Biplane and a fire bomber B-24 / Privateer......and the flying replica French Caudron racing plane that won the 1936 Thompson Trophy race.

Flying demos by an L-39, Corsair, P-38, A-10, C-17, L-29, T-34 (4 ship formation) and some spectacular aerobatics by 26 year old Melissa Pemberton in the Edge 540 and Bill Cormack in the Pitts S-2C and Rob Harrison in the Zlin 50LX.

The show announcer was none other than Sandy Sanders and did I mention the show was FREE you can't beat that.

Also, the Corsair took off with nearly full flaps. It just leaped into the air with what looked like bare-minimum airspeed and held full right rudder during the climb through to pattern altitude. I have never seen a Corsair do that before.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:15 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

The last air show I attempted to video was in 1998 at the Spirit of St. Louis Airport. I know it was 1998 because at one point you can clearly hear the public address announcer say that Mark McGwire just hit home run number 70 and that happened in 1998. Anyway, the show featured the Blue Angels along with Fat Albert and a bunch of lesser known acts. They also had a Harrier there that year. What a noisy machine that is!!!! Anyway, I couldn't stay on those guys on their low fast passes. I got some good footage, but some of it was just blue sky. I did learn one thing that day. You can't hear an F18 coming when it is coming directly at you from behind. You don't hear him until he is directly over you and then immediately out in front of you, and at about 500 feet high, it is quite a surprise.

Speaking of noise, the loudest thing I ever heard was the Missouri National Guard taking off four F15s in formation, rotating and going nearly vertical right over the runway. They must have been in afterburner, and that is 8 afterburners screaming at you. Everything in the area shook until they pretty much got out of sight. Beautiful sight.