Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Chief aircraft ripoff

Old 08-15-2003, 04:56 PM
c550
My Feedback: (16)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Chief aircraft ripoff

Just thought I would let every one know of my bad experience with Chief Aircraft. I ordered an ARF from them and was under the impression that I would get free shipping as it states free shipping for orders over $200 in their ads. When I received my model and checked the invoice I realized that I was charged $12.50 for shipping. I called them to try to straighten out the over charge, they were very nice but have refused to credit me for the shipping charges.

I would hate for this to happen to any one else.

Regards,

Dave
Old 08-15-2003, 04:59 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did they say WHY they wouldn't honor the ad?
Old 08-15-2003, 07:26 PM
Crash_N_Burn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just checked their website and didn't see anything specifically about free shipping on orders over US$200. It seems to vary on the item and the price.

Which ARF did you order?

Did you order via telephone or Internet?

Exactly where did you see free shipping on orders over US$200?

They are 30 minutes from me, so I'd be happy to confront them in person for you with the proper ammunition, but they have an almost impeccable record.

Need input, please.
Old 08-15-2003, 08:20 PM
apman
My Feedback: (1)

If the ARF was an oversize box, which I am betting it was, Chief charges for the oversize cost. Measure your box, length plus girth. If it is more than 108" total, then it is oversize by UPS standards.

Says right in the Chief ad, charges for oversize rates.

Hope this helps explain it better.

However, I can't figure why Chief didn't tell you this when you called.

Rick
Old 08-15-2003, 08:45 PM
Johnnylightning

I've never had any problems w/ Chief. I've ordered a bunch w/'em. However, the orders I placed clearly stated "free shipping w/ orders $300.00+" Hell, they sent me a replacement cowling (defective upon original ARF deliv.) for my Sig X-tra free of charge. And when I needed a cowling for my U-Can-Do, they pulled one out of a kit 'cause they, nor Tower, had replacement parts yet. They're always well stocked and are usually amongst the first to recieve newly released items. I like 'em
Old 08-15-2003, 08:57 PM
Luke 3D returns

If you think that is bad, i ordered a kite from the usa. Shipping cost £30, customs demanded £50, and then parcel force made me go mad because they just didnt deliver the damn thing for 4 weeks- and when they did they tried to charge me extra for it being in their hands longer than two weeks.
interestingly parcel force lost £96 million worth of goods last year.
somehow im not suprised!
Old 08-16-2003, 01:12 AM
J_R

I have done quite a bit of business with Chief. I am one of those people that won't put my credit card number on the net. I call the 800 number. I've dealt with both Dana and John. It's always fun. Their print ads say one thing, their specials another and then there is their regular net prices. I honestly don't think they know exactly what they have priced where. Here is what I have learned.

1. Ask them to go look and see if the items are physically in stock.
2. Discuss the shipping, especially if it's more than a 1 item order. I can't recall ever paying shipping. Negotiate.
3. Ask what the cheapest price is. Do your homework first. They will match prices if you challenge them when they are not the lowest you have found. Don't bluff, they will check the net and I think they have Tower's flyers sitting next to them.
4. If everything else is OK, make them promise to ship it today. Their ads say they will, but, they don't. On the other hand, they have never lied to me. The first time it took several days longer than it should have to receive the order. From then on, I made them promise.
5. If the item is not in stock, do not believe the ship date they give you. I think they are optimistic and I know they are at the mercy of their suppliers. If you need it now, and they don't have it, consider another source.
6. Always confirm the total price. They generally don't like to figure it out exactly, but they will. There are no surprises that way.

If you like the "feel" of a LHS, these guys are great. Warning: Dana will give his opinion on anything and talk all day long.

JR
Old 08-16-2003, 01:20 AM
greenboot

I'm sure you are upset about getting charged more than you expected to . But $12.50 for shipping is not outrageous for a big box. I was charged something like $25 by RC Showcase for my engine. Kind of high, but I was told about it and agreed.

Tom
Old 08-16-2003, 01:25 AM
Crash_N_Burn

JR....I wish everyone took the steps that you do. Not just with Chief but with all vendors.

There would be fewer problems and more satisfied customers.

Homework is just part of life, isn't it?
Old 08-16-2003, 02:40 AM
IronZ
My Feedback: (3)

I've never bought from Chief Aircraft and I never will. Simply because of the way that they bailed on the XFC sponsorship funds. You would think that they would want to support this hobby.
Old 08-16-2003, 09:11 AM
ec121k

I've ordered only once but they told me what would be charged to my credit card and how long it would take to arrive surface FedEx. No problems. I'd buy from them again.

Tony
Old 08-16-2003, 10:06 AM
Blackie

I have ordered from Chief in the past and had no problems. This is the first time I have ever heard of anything uprising as this. C550, I assume you are angry, but I can't simply stop doing business from them based on what little information you just gave please be more elaborate.

Thanks
Blackie
Old 08-16-2003, 03:25 PM
c550

Default Chief Aircraft.

Thanks for the interest in my post.

Here are some more details:

The ARF in question was the Pac. Aero. 120 sized Tiger Moth. A great model by the way.

I do not believe that this came in an oversized box. The wing panels are small, I'm not a shipping expert and could be wrong.

The kit price was well over the threashold for the advertised free shipping.

They have numerous print ads with free shipping for ARF's. This would lead a reasonable person to think that he would get free shipping.

I think I could spend a lot of time on the phone with them and maybee get them to see it my way, but after four or more long distance phone calls I think I will just let it go. I do think if the amount was higher I could interest a postal inspector to look into it. I think I would like to just warn every one that when they say free shipping they don't really mean it.

Regards,

Dave
Old 08-16-2003, 03:34 PM
3dd
My Feedback: (6)

well the phone call will be more than 12.50 so build the plane and go flying
Old 08-16-2003, 04:45 PM
DENNIS C
My Feedback: (99)

Originally posted by IronZ
I've never bought from Chief Aircraft and I never will. Simply because of the way that they bailed on the XFC sponsorship funds. You would think that they would want to support this hobby.

Yea what happened there

sure would like to know
Old 08-16-2003, 07:27 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by IronZ
I ordered an eclipse from them 2 years ago and had no problems. The woman on the phone was helpful and pleasant. Pricing was great. STuff arrived when they said it would. That was before I started RCU. That was my only experience with them in terms of purchasing a product.

I know they definitely won't support RCU...they never return phone calls or emails from us. I think I heard through the grapevine that they think of "forum" sites as a place on the internet where users only talk bad about them and everyone else. I don't think we'll ever change their outlook on this but who knows.

I had thought with the thousands of dollars they spend on full page magazine ads to get in front of their audience they would also advertise here at RCU which would only be a couple hundred dollars in contrast. $200 to get in front of 50,00 users here at RCU or $2,500 to get in front of 100,000 users in RCM or MAN. Do the math.

It would have been nice at least if for nothing more than common courtesy if they would have just reply to my voicemails or emails and simply say "no we aren't interested at this time". Oh well...I'm sure their competitors are very happy that they aren't advertising and promoting here on RCU. If I was selling the products that they sell I would be happy they weren't fishing where the fish are so to speak.

As for the original poster...they should have clarified why they were not refunding the charge if it was in fact an oversized box and that is their policy in print. Now like I said, this whole thread wouldn't exist if they didn't give somebody a reason to start it but then again these forums are just a place to talk about everyone, right
Old 08-16-2003, 07:29 PM
apman

c550

Chief's ad specifically states prepaid shipping on UPS and FEDEX GROUND ONLY, with exceptions.
Now, you said in your post that maybe a call to the Postal Inspector could be made. Did you get your order shipped by Postal Service?
If you did, then I don't see where Chief is liable if you didn't read the ad fully, because there is no mention of free shipping via USPostal Service.

Rick

Don't get me wrong, I don't have any affiliation with Chief, I am just trying to understand why they would be so arbitrary just for the heck of it.
Actually, I own a hobby shop and they are competition for me, on the mail-order side of my business. Ha, Ha
Old 08-16-2003, 08:40 PM
c550

Default Chief Aircraft ripoff

Apman,

I considered a Postal Inspector because they are the investigative agency for fraud conducted through interstate shipments. As a member of federal law enforcment I am also aware that they will not get very excited about fraud on the scale of $12.00. Maybe if they are doing this to a lot of people they might become intersted.

As another poster replied, its only $12.00, build the model and enjoy it. Thats what I did, I just wished they would have been honest about their shipping policies, or to be charitable at least a little clearer on what would be shipped for free and what would not.

Regards,

Dave
Old 08-16-2003, 08:49 PM
IronZ
My Feedback: (3)

Originally posted by bodymann
Yea what happened there

sure would like to know
I'll tell ya, if you hook me up with one of those SWEET avatars!

Actually, they were set to help sponsor the XFC with something in the tune of $10,000. Quite a generous sum I think. They then dropped it down to $1000, which, although a lot less than the original sum, would still help out with the cost of things. They then proceeded to completely ignore all phone calls and other communications which resulted in a big fat $0 sponsorship. They couldn't even step up to say that they weren't interested anymore, they just blew everybody off. All I can say is good riddance to them. They won't see any of my money. Now, about that avatar......
Old 08-16-2003, 09:06 PM
apman

c550,

Well, looks like you pretty much had all your bases covered.

Guess that gives you a heads up for future purchases.

Ahem, .... not to advertise, but....if you are so inclined you can try me, I tell the whole truth to my customers.

Can I say that here? Ha, Ha.

Rick
Old 08-16-2003, 09:16 PM
DENNIS C
My Feedback: (99)

IronZ
well buddy i just seen it on another RC realted site and said that's to kool not to have. and just saved it as a target.

Thats pretty****** of them to do that. i was there at the XFC and thought it was a great show and i'll be back for more next year.

i know i wont buy from them again. i ordered a motor from them and it took 10 DAYS to get here. it was a pretty bad experience to began with anyway's
Old 08-16-2003, 09:28 PM
sigflyer
My Feedback: (5)

Just checked the ARF your ordered. Nothing on the web page indicates free shipping. If free shipping is involved, the price will have an * beside the item. I also can't find anything about orders over $200 being shipped free of charge. I have ordered several times from Chief and each time was informed of the free shipping during the order. I guess we all need to check things out on each order.....later Johnny
Old 08-18-2003, 10:28 PM
rfw1953
My Feedback: (2)

I've had one experience only with Chief and not inclined to have another. They had the Giles listed on their Internet site as a combo with the 160. This was about a year ago. They had the best price going at the time so I ordered the combo on line. I received a reply stating that the Giles was on back order, did I want to wait or cancel the order. I decided to wait. I wanted the combo as advertised. After a week or so of not hearing anything, or getting any replies to my emails, I called them. They told me that the ARF was on back order and that the price would be higher and at about the same price as Tower. Now wait a minute. This didn't sound right to me, but is factual as to what took place. I then asked that they honor their advertised price. They said they wouldn't. I then challenged them a bit more about the issue only to have the rep. sate that he didn't understand, "why I would order anything over the Internet anyway". This is actually how it came down. I wrote them a letter about this issue and never got a response. The add on the Internet changed the day after my call. At least this was done correctly.

Ok, this was just one experience. No embellishment added. Maybe it was just a new person that didn't know how to handle the situation, but the end results stuck with me. I haven't attempted to order anything from them again.
Old 08-20-2003, 05:19 AM
RCAddiction
My Feedback: (87)

Default Free Shipping

First, let me say that Chief is not my favorite mail order vendor. I've had a couple of orders messed up, and I've found that they are not always the most cordial on the phone. Yes, I've ordered from them a few times, but usually as a last resort. So, it's not like I'm in their camp.

In this case I don't see how they did anything wrong.

"Free Shipping" as well as "combo packages" are methods employed by Chief (and some others) to give buyers a lower total price than they are permitted to with MAP pricing. MAP is Minimum Advertised Price.

All Horizon distributed proprietary products, like JR, Saito, Hangar 9 kits, for instance, cannot be advertised for less than MAP. However, a loophole seems to be that they can throw in free shipping for these, effectively giving you a discount on the purchase equal to the shipping price.

Chief does not do free shipping on everything, and I know that I have paid shipping on a $200 plus order. I knew that at the time I ordered it when I selected the type of shipping I wanted.

OUR OWN RESPONSIBILITY AS BUYERS
This subject touches on a sore point about a tendency in our society for those who don't take responsibility for their own actions. It is the responsibility of the buyer to verify when making a purchase over the Internet or phone, as to what the total cost is before giving out a credit card to make the purchase.

Period.
Old 08-20-2003, 08:37 AM
trailingedge

I ordered a UCANDO3D from chief a while back and got stuck with the same shipping problem. I complained a little, but it was actually my fault for not triple checking. I'm not saying I'll never order from them again, but I'll definitely be more careful. While I think Chief is not the best out there, they are far from the worst.

Just my $0.02

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.