Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Club Participation Problems

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Club Participation Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 06:35 PM
Dakrat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Club Participation Problems

Hi Guys,
Our club is growing and that is great but it seems that we have the same 5-6 guys who volunteer and I am afraid they are going to get burned out.

- How can we get more folks to come out and help?
I was thinking of an increase of the dues for folks who don't volunteer some time.

- What do some of your clubs do to increase club participation?
(Mow grass, Setup for fun flys, Picnics)

Thanks...
Dakrat
Old 07-17-2011, 08:19 PM
vpresley
My Feedback: (162)

Default RE: Club Participation Problems

Its a common problem in a lot of clubs. I say give the volunteers free memberships, and charge the non-volunteers more. Its only fair. You will find the current volunteers are doing it because they care about the club. 5% of the people do the work, 95% enjoy the work of the 5%. So charge them MORe !
Old 07-17-2011, 08:24 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Welcome to club leadership! The truth is that not everyone can volunteer, so some have good reasons. Some aren't dedicated enough and just won't be in the club if they have to do more, and some probably don't understand the importance. All you can do is ask. If you've set a precedent for club dues at a certain level, good luck passing a price hike for those who don't volunteer.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:02 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep the dues the same but charge a maintenece fee sometime mid season, and make it mandatory...in other words it must be paid to be in good standing... you would have to alter the bylaws thhough.... or you could have a raffle and everyone who volunteers will get a free raffle ticket and a chance to win something nice
Old 07-18-2011, 12:18 AM
beepee

Clubs of which I have been a part have instituted a $ surcharge that can be applied to the next year's dues if the member participated in a minimum number of planned work days. These work days are usually planned from daylight and are completed before lunch so that flying can start in the afternoon. That has worked well. I have also experienced Clubs with a point system for volunteer work (maintenance and events) and given prizes out for highest point earners at the year-end party. That worked until the same members kept winning the awards. Big surprise.

We all are challenged by the rule of 10% doing the work for 100%. What these encurragements do is bring at least a few more participants in to lighten the load on the regulars.

Good luck,

Bedford
Old 07-18-2011, 05:04 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We’ve tried several variations.

All volunteer work force on an as needed basis

All volunteer on a scheduled basis

Pay into a maintenance kitty and get paid if you do the maintenance

Never tried the differential dues.

The one that worked the best was a published two months in advance mowing schedule. This was posted at the field and in the newsletters. When you joined it was clear in the membership that field maintenance was an ongoing part of your membership. This is what keeps our dues at a reasonable level. This way you had two months notice when you were expected to show up, if you couldn’t make that day you were supposed to find someone to swap with you. BUT this system needs some one on top of it, making phone calls and emails the week before to make sure all who are scheduled show up. There was no penalty if you didn’t because it was made very clear that it was expected of you.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:41 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

People who volunteer do it because they want to. There are very few for whom a dues hike or discount is an incentive. Look at the current AMA promotion "Sign 3 and fly free." Is anyone jumping up to go find 3 new members to save $60? No. Those who recruit new fliers do so because they like the hobby and want to share it. The same goes for volunteering. Some people like to contribute for the personal satisfaction of doing it. Other do it because they want to have a good club and feel responsible. The ones who don't are more like customers than club members, so it's the mindset that you have to change to get more volunteers. Of course, there are also some who really can't invest extra time in the club because they have too much going on already. There's no need to pressure guys like that because they are already doing all they can.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:49 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think jester hit the nail on the head. When I talk to other members that dont volunteer I make sure they understand it takes 140 members for the dues to break even on our monthly expenses. And thats what our membership usually is, we're boarder line. Membership that is less than that more than a few years in a row, then we have to raise the dues. You cant get something like that voted in, it always fails. But if you cant meet your bills, then you have to and the membership doesnt get a choice. Our events pay for field improvements and the 10% rule is alive and well in our club. Our application has 2 boxes to check, (will you help with events and work days), (will you run for club office). We just go through the applications to look for those that have said yes. We got a few more volunteers that way.
Edwin
Old 07-21-2011, 01:11 PM
mr.scale
My Feedback: (4)

our club is going thru the same problems. Here is the lack of organization and the willingness to put the word out.. but Ilike to suggest the on our nex meeting the differential dues!!..

I also though about offering a little bbq to the work party and raffle some fuel,servos, etc..to get them motivated to come out an help to get the field nice and neat..
any other suggestions??

Old 07-28-2011, 06:44 PM
chymas
My Feedback: (1)

differential dues, penalties, and paying in / getting paid from a maintenance fund is going to do nothing but drive a wedge in your club.  Reward performance through BBQ's, no landing fee at the next event, a rafle at the end of the year - one entry for each work party or club meeting attended.  The ones that show up at the work parties are normally the ones that come to the club meetings.

Report the good times spent at these events in the club news letter.  "Lead by example."  You will attract more flys with honey than you will vinigar.

Good luck.