Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Resale Market

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 09:31 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Resale Market

When placing an add for used items how does one determine depreciation values? This question is aimed on the used electronic section.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:49 AM
outdoorhunting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Resale Market

I've always used the deal for used stuff- 1/2 price plus10 to 20% ( if the object is in good condition). Unless it's a very rare item, then I'll research the sale lists & go from there.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:48 AM
rowdog_14
My Feedback: (5)

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: outdoorhunting

I've always used the deal for used stuff- 1/2 price plus10 to 20% ( if the object is in good condition). Unless it's a very rare item, then I'll research the sale lists & go from there.
I am the same way. When I look to buy I try and buy items that are half off. So when I price stuff to sale I price about 20% above half like outdoorhunting does. Other than that it really depends. If it is not a hot item then I will just price it to get it out of my site.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:19 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Whatever you have there should be one or two similar to it already sold recently. That's the best way, but don't expect hardly anything used to go over 1/2 of new price in the current market.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:14 PM
flycatch

Of the few who have responded to my question your suggestion IMO is the most realistic. This is exactly what I would do but it appears many, roughtly 75%, of the items I reviewed don't adhere to this policy. An example would be a servo advertised as "used excellent" with a NIB price of $119.00 USD. The posters asking price was $85.00 USD. I offered this seller $60.00 USD and he accussed me of "low Balling". This is one of too many electronic items where the asking price is unrealistic IMO. If I wanted to sell something used or brand new I would make the price attractive. This is especially true when the market has an abundance of the same item listed in the classifieds. Why would a person attempt to sell something when there advertised price is unrealistic. I have brought and sold RC related items in the past but recently the market is attracting sellers who have little comprehension of marketing.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:54 PM
Waco
My Feedback: (265)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, I think your being unrealistic with this pricing, I go through the ads quite a bit always looking for a deal, and many times every one on here are asking new price or close to new price. If I could find items I am looking for on here for half price of new I would buy it on the spot, ain't going to happen very often. For example, I can get a new Great Planes Super Stearman from tower for 330.00 shipped to my door. Now according to your pricing used items and in my book any item that is being resold is used or second hand, I should be able to buy it for half price or 10-20% above half price that would be around 165-230.00 price range, man If I could find one for that I would buy right now. ain't gonna happen. I see This plane being sold for between 325.00 and 350.00 plus shipping on this site. I can it cheaper from tower so way bother? I wonder how these guys sell anything at those prices.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:07 PM
flycatch

This logic does not apply to something that is NIB. What does apply to NIB is your never going to recoupe your investment 100%. Example, if you paid $100 USD you could ask for 70% of its list price. Most sellers are not using this logic and they end up with the item unsold most of the time. I bid on an engine that listed for over $400 USD NIB and offered the seller 70% of its value. The seller redused and the add ran thirty days with no further offers. This is what is taking place on most of the items advertised. Just take a look at how many aircraft listed have a reduced price listed.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:09 AM
rowdog_14
My Feedback: (5)

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Most people that buy want to buy at half price or better when it is used, even when it is brand new I think most people still want to stay around that same area around 60-70%. Like the prior post stated about people selling and dropping the price. It has been plenty of times that I have offered people 50-60% of the value and they reject it. So after they reject it I just look at the ad and see what happens. They never sale it. I even had a dude reject my offer and a year later I saw it again and laughed. You are hardly ever going to get the price you paid for it so if you can get 50-60% of the price then I say you are doing good.

I just bought a hobbistar 60 for $60, retail $149. That about 60% off. He wanted to sale it for $80 but he took my offer for $60.

When I sale I sale to make sure I can get it off my hands within a week or less.